Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
13 crawler(s) on-line.
 157 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 BigD:  19 mins ago
 matthey:  33 mins ago
 AndreasM:  1 hr 2 mins ago
 kolla:  1 hr 4 mins ago
 zipper:  1 hr 10 mins ago
 OlafS25:  1 hr 35 mins ago
 Swisso:  1 hr 39 mins ago
 amigakit:  2 hrs 14 mins ago
 amigang:  2 hrs 46 mins ago
 clint:  3 hrs 12 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  Who still uses their Amiga actively and what do they do with it?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
Karlos 
Re: Who still uses their Amiga actively and what do they do with it?
Posted on 5-Jun-2022 22:41:32
#21 ]
Elite Member
From: As-sassin-aaate! As-sassin-aaate! Ooh! We forgot the ammunition!

I'm glad to see classics like OctaMED coming up. Also, MLine. Although I found the sequencer of it a little counter intuitive compared to other trackers, but that sound engine!

OctaMED itself had annoying limitations for 16 bit samples, for example, the shift based volume control. One of the ways I worked around this previously was to run OctaMED on one machine, nullmodemed to another running MIDI In as a sampler. The latter could handle as much polyphony and multimbral sample playback as your CPU could handle, with 14-bit output. This was really nice for breaks and longer samples. So I'd run that on my more expanded A1200, with OctaMED controlling it from a less well specced machine.

I also found use for an otherwise unexpanded a1200 as a midi remapping tool for non GM kit. I wrote a simple tool for that, reading in a flat config file and then just sitting there processing and remapping midi.

Last edited by Karlos on 05-Jun-2022 at 10:41 PM.

Profile     Report this post  
agami 
Posted on 6-Jun-2022 5:10:44
#22 ]

@kolla

That is truly amazing work. In all honesty, I tip my hat to you.

But talk about going way out of your way to fit the Amiga in a contemporary context. People generally gravitate toward the path of least resistance, but you, it seems, have a mission that is anti-entropy at its core.

Bravo.

QBit 
Posted on 6-Jun-2022 6:03:20
#23 ]

@all

mod.ground of clay goes Juggler Demo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYe8sW1OOTA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVoSQP2yUYA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYowY7tvBbY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgFCki0tSKw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhlsNSYSuDg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouakRDHisew

Last edited by QBit on 06-Jun-2022 at 06:47 AM.
Last edited by QBit on 06-Jun-2022 at 06:45 AM.
Last edited by QBit on 06-Jun-2022 at 06:35 AM.
Last edited by QBit on 06-Jun-2022 at 06:30 AM.
Last edited by QBit on 06-Jun-2022 at 06:28 AM.
Last edited by QBit on 06-Jun-2022 at 06:24 AM.

kolla 
Posted on 6-Jun-2022 9:50:28
#24 ]
Elite Member

@Karlos

Quote:

Karlos wrote:
@kolla

Have you considered a career in DevOps? Sounds like it would be right up your street.

After 25+ years of being sysadm within academia/NREN, I just changed carreer and now work for a the local branch of a major international company. Been doing commits to CI/CD for quite large services before "devops" even was a term, out of sheer necessity, ain't got no time for ITIL workflows :)

Lou 
Posted on 6-Jun-2022 16:52:43
#25 ]
Elite Member

@Nonefornow

Quote:

Nonefornow wrote:

P.S. I should mention that on a somewhat regular basis I tinker around with my C128DCR. It sports a 16MB RamLink, an 8GB SD2IEC drive, mouse, and C1084 monitor. and external power speakers.

I kind of regret selling my non-functional one back in late 2020 (ironically to someone in California)...

I'd love to see someone make a replacement for the 8563 (VDC) (like the KAWARI for the VIC-II) since it essentially acts like an external GPU on the 128 and its speed/timing is irrelevant to the rest of the 128... Could probably do something ala PIStorm for it...

lylehaze 
Posted on 7-Jun-2022 6:03:30
#26 ]

@Karlos

Re:Octamed and MIDI voices..
I recently saw a RaspberryPi used as an external synth. Given the low price point (when you can find them) I thought that a pretty good value.

While the User Interface is non-existent, Timi works quite well on both high and low spec OS4 machines. I recently resurrected my old micro-AOne and it works quite well even on that.
Maybe one day I'll add a ReAction UI to Timi.

At home, it's just easier to use my Yamaha MU90-R. I'm lucky to have options.

Re: What do I use my Amiga for?
Coding on the micro keeps me busy on late shifts at work, when there's not much else going on.
At home I use my X-1000 to write Vogon Poetry.

Karlos 
Posted on 7-Jun-2022 11:54:51
#27 ]
Elite Member

@lylehaze

Quote:
At home, it's just easier to use my Yamaha MU90-R. I'm lucky to have options

I have the MU100R and routed the Amiga's audio output via it. OctaMED can send sysex snippets to reconfigure the audio processing while playing, which was very handy indeed.

lylehaze 
Posted on 7-Jun-2022 17:09:33
#28 ]

@Karlos

Quote:
the MU100R and routed the Amiga's audio output via it.

Assuming you are playing in OS4, (I have no idea what you run)
and also assuming the MU100 is code-similar to the MU90, there are a couple small utilities I have here.

Many (most, all?) of the CamdTools I have written are either rarely updated to the public, some never released at all if I don't see the need. Or I just never bothered to call them "done".

On the useless but fun side, I have a small window with two string gadgets that makes SysEx output that re-writes the MU display text. You can write directly from the window or create SysEx files that are later sent by any program you wish, including the "tsx" program from CamdTools for scripting. (alsop have an old one for Roland D5 somewhere here)

I've used it for a personalized boot message, alert messages, and even to display lyrics while a song plays back.

Also available and I think probably never released is a window that puts a GUI on all the available options for audio processing on the MU90.

Let me know if you'd like either.

As I write this, it occurs to me that I never reached for the main output level on the MU90.
I have a line mixer that is MIDI operated, so I never needed it, but it might be handy to free up a pair of inputs. Something else to add to the pile of projects.

just email my forum handle @ gmail if you want either of these, or to make sure you have the latest tsx and rsx tools.

jPV 
Posted on 8-Jun-2022 10:52:36
#29 ]
Cult Member

Here's a copy&paste from another forum where a similar question was asked:

I'm using MorphOS as my main daily computer, doing pretty much everything with it.

Here's what I use regularly and have done within the last week, for example:
- General browsing and YouTube with Wayfarer
- E-mails with Iris, and still in some degree with SimpleMail
- Coding Hollywood apps with CubicIDE and FlowStudio
- Listening MP3:s with Jukebox (no GUI, just the wide screebar module that lets me see/control music playback on all screens)
- Chatting with AmIRC
- Watching videos with MPlayer
- Accessing my home page servers with RNOXfer (other one with FTPS and other SFTP)
- Graphics editing with RNOEffects, ShowCase, ArtEffect, and PPaint
- Keeping my photo collection on my MorphOS machine, I connect my camera and phone with a USB cable for transferring files, and then process them with ShowCase (mostly resizing, cropping, sharpening, and straightening the horizon)
- Reading PDFs with RNOPDF and printing PDFs with VPDF
- Writing documents to print with Final Writer and RNOPublisher
- Editing MP3 ID3 tags with RNOTags
- Checking web cams, weather info, RSS feeds, and timing alarms with RNOWidgets
- Boiling eggs with EggTimer (yes, really using that for the purpose it was made, and sometimes for other cooking when my wife tells me to time something) :D
- Calling BBSes with DCTelnet
- Scanning with SCANdal (had to process lots of old documents lately)

Things that I do on other machines, but control them from my MorphOS setup (Linux machines aren't even connected to a monitor):
- Emulating OS4 on a Windows machine to test my programs. I mount the HDF image of OS4 with FileImgCtrl over an SMBFS share, so OS4's partition becomes a drive on MorphOS desktop, easy to copy files then. Then I connect to the PC with RDesktop and run WinUAE there... then I'll have OS4 on a window on MorphOS :)
- Occasionally doing some other stuff over RDesktop with Windows, listening Spotify or streaming other content that way sometimes
- I have a dedicated Linux machine for torrents, which I control graphically with RDesktop (XRDP installed on Linux) or by SSH with RemoteShell. I haven't bothered to install Samba there, so I mount its drives with SSH2FS.
- Then I have a separate Linux based file server, which I access with RemoteShell and SMBFS. I do file handling with Ambient/DOpus over the SMB mount.

Umm... probably forgot many other things... for games I haven't had time in years, there would be tens of new games for MorphOS since I last tried any, maybe some day :)

klx300r 
Posted on 8-Jun-2022 15:19:05
#30 ]
Elite Member

@Karlos

My X1000 is used every day since it’s what I use for all my computing needs when I’m home and it feels like home I also still have my original Amiga 1000, 500 & 1200 which I’m always tinkering with still as I love the new hardware mods and there’s always still today new software/ games to test and check out & aminet is still rockin !

mancave-ramblings
X1000 I BELIEVE

Trixie 
Posted on 8-Jun-2022 17:33:36
#31 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@Karlos

My X5000 gets quite a lot of use, although currently it's pretty much programming only, as I'm finalizing my biggest project to date. When I'm done with it I hope to be able to get back to some music making. Unfortunately, it's not like back in the day when I'd spend weeks on end working with ProTracker and, later, OctaMED and DigiBooster. Family life, job responsibilities, the usual. It's really frustrating to have a small home studio at hand but no time to use it

AmigaOne X5000/020 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
SAM440ep-flex @ 667MHz / 1GB RAM / Radeon 9250 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition

Cool_amigaN 
Posted on 12-Jun-2022 21:14:48
#32 ]

MorphOS is my main system at home, used everyday for several hours :)

Wayfarer for general web browsing
Iris for e-mails
RNOXfer for ftp
Dizzy for torrenting
AmIRC for chat
AmiTube for downloading and converting songs from YT to mp3 format
WebRadio SBar (for obvious reasons, along with a bunch more sbars for other purposes)
FlowStudio / Cubic IDE for Hollywood
Designer
Mplayer for video playback
VPDF for PDF
RNO Widgets for misc stuff
SoundBankster with a Hercules MKII console for DJing
SMBFS for accessing NAS
VNC to access MorphOS through Android when I am on the couch :P
Fileimgctrl to manipulate ADFs
A great collection of commodities also reside in my wbsiartup drawer, such as hot border, hot corner, dimScreen, crabum, mouse spotter, kid lock, mmkeyboard... a lot of useful stuff!) and of course a lot of classic software ranging from Octamed to PPaint, Lightwave etc.

I also do a lot of (classic) gaming: iGame is integrated along UAELoad, tied to e-uae jit sporting more than 5000 games. I also have build over the years massive collections of scummvm, openbor, psx, mame, gameboy, master system, you name it. Also, all MorphOS compatible games exist in my hd :) Especially for 3D games I have modded them as much is possible (i.e. Quake III Arena, spawns about 5GB in my hd, whereas the total Games partition is over 100GB and I was forced to add a new ssd :))

edit: especially regarding to 68k classic gaming (where the scene is the biggest), there is absolutely no sane reason to pick any 68k/fpga system over MorphOS other than "I just want to see that yellowish A500/600/1200 case in front of my desk". I am speaking from the gamer's perspective, for a developer is different. Hook up your classic db9 joystick with a credited usb-db9 converter, buy a 5:4 19inch DVI monitor and experience same games in the best way possible presented with a fraction of the money you would spent on 68k, plus you won't be tied up to some archaic Amiga OS but enjoy all the modern facilities that MorphOS provides (from latest MUI to bluetooth audio - connect some expensive audio set remotely behind your seat and fire up Monkey Island) :))

Last edited by Cool_amigaN on 12-Jun-2022 at 09:34 PM.
Last edited by Cool_amigaN on 12-Jun-2022 at 09:17 PM.
Last edited by Cool_amigaN on 12-Jun-2022 at 09:15 PM.

Ryu 
Posted on 12-Jun-2022 23:11:54
#33 ]

@Karlos

I still have 3 classic Amiga systems at home, 2 A1200's and an A600, although I would like to add a CD32 and A500+ back into my collection at some point!

One of my A1200 still runs my simple web server (www.bambi-amiga.co.uk) which I still manage to maintain.

The other is my main WHDLoad machine, which I often switch on to play a few games, although admittedly I don't have the time to spend the hours, and hours playing as I did as a younger person.

My A600 just sits looking cute in the corner of my office... really should find a use for it sometime!

I've also got a Pi400, but I've never really gotten around to setting it up with a UAE setup...

www.IntuitionBase.com - Your Guide to Amiga OS4.x and the AmigaOne
www.Bambi-Amiga.co.uk - My A1200 webserver, running 24/7/365

klx300r 
Posted on 14-Jun-2022 0:20:20
#34 ]
Elite Member

@Ryu

I love that A1200 web server you run ..I remember finding some useful information on Lightwave that I was struggling with at the time on it

mancave-ramblings
X1000 I BELIEVE

fishy_fis 
Posted on 15-Jun-2022 11:07:07
#35 ]
Elite Member

@Cool_amigaN

Quote:
there is absolutely no sane reason to pick any 68k/fpga system over MorphOS other than "I just want to see that yellowish A500/600/1200 case in front of my desk". I am speaking from the gamer's perspective, for a developer is different. Hook up your classic db9 joystick with a credited usb-db9 converter, buy a 5:4 19inch DVI monitor and experience same games in the best way possible presented with a fraction of the money you would spent on 68k, plus you won't be tied up to some archaic Amiga OS but enjoy all the modern facilities that MorphOS provides

If 68k is a persons preference there's no sane reason to use MorphOS at all.
Slower, less accurate, higher latencies in its emulation and usb/blutooth stacks, and the cost of a MorphOS license is more than machines that give a much better experience. And you have to deal with an archaic OS in MorphOS.

Karlos 
Posted on 15-Jun-2022 13:21:40
#36 ]
Elite Member

@fishy_fis

Accuracy and latency are certainly issues for full emulation, but speed?

Ryu 
Posted on 15-Jun-2022 14:47:02
#37 ]

@klx300r

Glad it's been of some use to you in that case!

www.IntuitionBase.com - Your Guide to Amiga OS4.x and the AmigaOne
www.Bambi-Amiga.co.uk - My A1200 webserver, running 24/7/365

Cool_amigaN 
Posted on 15-Jun-2022 19:53:26
#38 ]

@fishy_fish

lol that's total bs. Latest firmware update of Retronick usb-db9 converter does 2.5uS for single fire button or stick movement mechanism. If both are done simultaneously it raises the response rate at max 12uS. There is no game in Amiga that such response rates will be noticed including competitive swos matches which stresses the reflexes of a gamer. Knowledge comes from personal experience of course, since I 'll be holding the next national swos tournament last weekend of June on MorphOS. As far as price/performance ratio goes, one can check how much it takes to invest on 68k to get games like Exodus, Napalm, Earth 2140 and rest of latest classic Amiga games. Even if fpga is brought on the table, anybody can ask how much time it takes for example for same 68k binary to load or what fps rate one gets under same settings (ie. DevilutionX). As stated, apart from 68k purists/fanatics when it comes to gaming one will get the best overall experience on a Next Generation system such as MorphOS - let alone the awesome OS and its applications including all those wonderful 68k stuff we used to have and enjoyed :)

Karlos 
Posted on 15-Jun-2022 20:07:51
#39 ]
Elite Member

@Cool_amigaN

Quote:
MorphOS - let alone the awesome OS

I promised myself I wouldn't go there but let's be honest, by any remotely meaningful metric of progress, MorphOS, at least as it stands on PPC is every bit as archaic as 3.x and 4.x. Memory protection? Nope. 64-bit support? Nope. SMP? Nope.

Learn to accept your definition of better is subjective. You'll enjoy it a lot more.

Last edited by Karlos on 15-Jun-2022 at 08:11 PM.

Cool_amigaN 
Posted on 15-Jun-2022 21:24:56
#40 ]

@Karlos

Think it was pretty obvious I was referring within the Amiga [68k] context in my last post, which you quoted :) Not that MorphOS doesn't have its drawbacks or can't be further improved. "Awesome OS" [... compared to 68k alternatives, including fpga, for the reasons I described in my original post...] - if that makes it more clear.
While on my second reply I mostly focused on the gaming experience (again, from the gamer's pov, not developer's) between systems (that I own and use), so some random forum bs about latency (lol seriously) can't get past unnoticed. As if Tiny Bubble and Knightmare need an uber accurate 68k to run perfectly.
I don't bring OS4 into the equation because I haven't tested first hand for many years but from the glimpses I 've seen live, it's miles ahead at least on the Graphics driver sub-systems compared to anything alternative in the Amiga land [including MorphOS]. However I don't have a complete idea of its latest developments, so I can't really comment.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle