Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
7 crawler(s) on-line.
 114 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 amigakit:  11 mins ago
 Rob:  52 mins ago
 pavlor:  1 hr 2 mins ago
 agami:  3 hrs 34 mins ago
 wakido:  5 hrs 42 mins ago
 bhabbott:  5 hrs 45 mins ago
 Karlos:  6 hrs 53 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  7 hrs 22 mins ago
 Matt3k:  9 hrs 10 mins ago
 RobertB:  9 hrs 29 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  Commodore Amiga Global Alliance
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 Next Page )
Poll : Commodore Amiga Global Alliance
Yes, I would Join! £30
Yes, for less
Maybe
No
Bad idea, I have a better one....
Pancakes!

PosterThread
Rob 
Re: Commodore Amiga Global Alliance
Posted on 17-Jun-2023 0:55:54
#581 ]
Elite Member

@21stcentury

Quote:
About Cloanto : I don't like this company, they do nothing and they've never done anything. I can't understand why the community prefer Cloanto to Hyperion.

I don't favour either company over the other but to say that Cloanto have never done anything is simply untrue. I could go over their contribution if you really need me to.

Profile     Report this post  
DiscreetFX 
Posted on 17-Jun-2023 2:10:29
#582 ]
Elite Member

I hope From Vultures to Vampires Vol 2 & 3 come out soon. People have been patiently waiting for a while. Even the e-book versions would be a welcome surprise. Hardbacks are nice but take longer to make. The e-book versions could hopefully be wrapped up and digitally shipped way sooner. It’s my hope that the e-books are not being held back for the hardbacks.

Last edited by DiscreetFX on 17-Jun-2023 at 03:18 AM.

RobertB 
Posted on 17-Jun-2023 4:15:33
#583 ]

DiscreetFX wrote:
Quote:
The e-book versions could hopefully be wrapped up and digitally shipped way sooner. It’s my hope that the e-books are not being held back for the hardbacks.

As I said in a previous post, I've downloaded (received) my e-book of Volume 2 already.

That was several days ago,
Robert Bernardo
Fresno Commodore User Group - http://www.dickestel.com/fcug.htm
Southern California Commodore & Amiga Network - http://www.portcommodore.com/sccan
June 24-25 Pacific Commodore Expo NW 2023 - http://www.portcommodore.com/pacommex

DiscreetFX 
Posted on 17-Jun-2023 6:02:30
#584 ]
Elite Member

@RobertB

Thanks for mentioning that again, I missed it last time you posted it.

cdimauro 
Posted on 17-Jun-2023 7:37:44
#585 ]
Elite Member

@21stcentury

Quote:

21stcentury wrote:
I appreciate David Pleasance and I regret that he couldn't buy Commodore in 1995 but there's nothing really interesting in this project at least for the Amiga future

About Cloanto : I don't like this company, they do nothing and they've never done anything. I can't understand why the community prefer Cloanto to Hyperion.

we can criticize Hyperion but they try to do something and to move forward : AmigaOS4, AmigaOS3 updates and They would certainly do more without Cloanto who lock everything.

You don't know of what you're talking about. Living on a parallel universe?

number6 
Posted on 18-Jun-2023 18:39:52
#586 ]
Elite Member

@thread

If anyone wants to listen to Daviid's post mortem of AGA from yesterday at Retcon 2023:

at 18:58 approximately and onward

I see Amiga Corp attended.

eliyahu 
Posted on 18-Jun-2023 18:49:48
#587 ]

@number6

I really feel for the guy. People can be absolutely brutal on the various Amiga forums and Facebook. I have no doubt DJP is a nice chap who genuinely wanted to help.

-- eliyahu

number6 
Posted on 18-Jun-2023 19:34:29
#588 ]
Elite Member

@eliyahu

The comment he made about "legacy" struck me.

I know it won't make David feel any better, but if we were "grading on the curve", I must say the Amigan reaction was downright polite compared to what I've seen elsewhere.

imo Inet has caused some rather dramatic changes to human behavior, or perhaps this is how humans have always been and it just made expressing any thought that jumps inside one's head...easier.

BigD 
Posted on 18-Jun-2023 23:23:50
#589 ]
Elite Member

@eliyahu

Quote:

eliyahu wrote:
@number6

I really feel for the guy. People can be absolutely brutal on the various Amiga forums and Facebook. I have no doubt DJP is a nice chap who genuinely wanted to help.

-- eliyahu

He just needs to complete one crowdfunding project first BEFORE starting another one! He's been ill and the cost of living crisis/inflation have affected his bottom line with the 'Vultures' book but the mission creep turning one book into three could have been foreseen and pre-planned. It's felt like he was asking his Kickstarter supporters to stump up more and more money to bail him out at times! Still looking forward to Volume 2 though!

Last edited by BigD on 18-Jun-2023 at 11:25 PM.

sananaman 
Posted on 20-Jun-2023 11:55:55
#590 ]

@number6

He made it even worse with his speech....

His idea's are so bad. This man does not have a business mind at all.
He is a worker "ant" that worked for a paycheck, he is not an entrepreneur.
He does not know how to setup companies... remember that.

This "business plan story" about his version of his failed takeover of Commodore is also a joke.
Business is not a theoretical thing you can grasp in a business plan...
If he was really was that good he would taken over Commodore and not Escom.
He is a failed man.... he is not in control.

He already told that he left the industry... to do what? to start a restaurant???
That tells me that this guy is an opportunist that doesn't have his life in control. He jumps from one to another and leaves a mess behind.
He said that he never touched an Amiga but only sold them, let alone that he understand why people like to use Amiga computers.

"David Pleasance: The Commodore brand I always saw as being a brand that could sell anything with a plug on it" yeah right, how to diminish a Computer brand even further.
Why does this guy get's a podium on these Amiga-parties ?
Unbelievable this grandpa should stop. I laughed my pants off....

He never did anything for the Amiga community only pursuing Amiga enthusiasts "that want to believe", selling them his books.
The same is with that AGA idea, selling his books who nobody really wants.
Where you could question if these stories are really true. The way he talks about others is very toxic, always negative and he could have done better.
"I'm telling the truth", "I'm not lying" he keeps constantly repeating.

He is talking about things he has no knowledge about.
Also his fake talks about Hombre, check the technical schematics of Dr. Ed Hepler.
You won't find anything about Dolby 5.1 surround sound in there. This guy is the biggest joke in Amigaland.

---

Forget about David Pleasance.

Think about the people who did (and do) real work for the Amiga community and keep the Amiga alive to this day.
Value their work and not that of David Pleasance he did not contribute anything to the community than only pushing his own ego.

The list of contributors to the Amiga is big, it goes from hardware creators, software developers, to game creators, musicians, people who make demos, people who repair Amiga's, etc.
And don't forget the companies who contribute like Amiga shops, AmigaOS development, Amiga emulation, magazines, and so on.

Value these people and companies...

If this directory of David Pleasance had real intentions, our Amiga-heroes would already been honored on this site.
And not showing a list of 7 websites in a simple CMS directory which everyone can build in one evening.
Even the Amigawebsite I gave to the community contains more links, and it is all for free.

---

Last word:

It is a shame that Trevor who is a successful entrepreneur is hanging around with this guy.
It DOES bring the status of Trevor no good.

eliyahu 
Posted on 20-Jun-2023 16:21:40
#591 ]

@geen_naam

Quote:
But his biggest mistake was that he judged the community based on shows. Therefore he underestimated the generic negative mood, entrenched camps, amount of trolls and sheer fundamentalism of the community as a whole. At times it makes twitter look a fountain of reason.
If you have been part of this community for decades then you've grown a blind spot. But for returning amigans, like me, this is a huge letdown.

I couldn't have said it better. In person the 'community' is absolutely lovely. Online it is far less so. I remember my very first post here back in 2009 when I had just purchased a SAM and asked if there were good documentation resources for new users since I was slightly confused. The first reply accused me of being a troll because they had gotten so used to people trying to stir things up they couldn't see it was a legitimate request.

Quote:
In defense of the community: the amount hostilities, broken promised and scams might have shaped the community as it is today. But it would be nice if for once we could be more open minded and value progress. Wherever it comes from and wherever it might lead. And if it's your not cup of tea. At least respect that others might have a different opinion. Fundamentalism killed OS4. Let's keep Amiga alive.

I don't know that AOS4 is dead; but it feels like it's on life-support. Tribalism is really something we should try and avoid, and remember that using our Amigas is supposed to be fun, not an ongoing online flame war. Imagine if Hans de Ruiter suddenly decided he had enough like the Friedens did. I wouldn't blame him or any other developer given the vitriol. AWN itself has slowly descended into a clone of Moobunny at this point. I'm just grateful there are nicer places out there like amigans.net.

-- eliyahu

Kronos 
Posted on 20-Jun-2023 17:39:19
#592 ]
Elite Member

@geen_naam

Quote:

But his biggest mistake was that he judged the community based on shows. T

That is true, rest of your post is not.

He saw how popular he could be at shows and how it allowed him to make easy money. Found out that even in Amigaland you need to have some skills to run a successful scam.

@sananaman
Quote:
It is a shame that Trevor who is a successful entrepreneur is hanging around with this guy.
It DOES bring the status of Trevor no good.

Trevor is just as clueless as David, major difference is that he is burning his own money and thereby gets something "done".

If that something is good or really looks good while dragging everyone down is a matter of opinion.

agami 
Posted on 21-Jun-2023 3:36:01
#593 ]

@sananaman

Quote:
Trevor who is a successful entrepreneur

Please provide supporting facts for the above claim.

You’re keen enough to spot one type of fraud, but you have some sort of mental block that prohibits you from seeing the other type of fraud.

Otherwise, everything you’ve said in your diatribe is spot on.

agami 
Posted on 21-Jun-2023 3:50:58
#594 ]

@CAGA

DP is a has-been salesperson. You can watch him recount his tale and confirm as much in a fairly recent interview on YT.

He achieved notoriety and some infamy through his games-bundle sales strategy. A one-trick-pony, or a one-hit-wonder if you will.

He saw the proverbial sausage being made, and so he has a story to tell. Beyond that, he’s just an old man who wishes things could be more like the old C= days, but has no real ideas on how to make it happen, nor good enough reasons why looking backwards is the best way forwards.

Step 1: AGA Website

Step 2:

Step 3: Profit.

FairBoy 
Posted on 21-Jun-2023 12:05:13
#595 ]

@agami
To be fair, you are missing any supporting facts for your above Trevor-claim as well. And as soon as something like the word "fraud" is involved, you are in duty.
This little article is already more than enough to support sananaman's claim at least.

Last edited by FairBoy on 21-Jun-2023 at 12:05 PM.

agami 
Posted on 22-Jun-2023 1:24:30
#596 ]

@FairBoy

Quote:
FairBoy wrote:
@agami
To be fair, you are missing any supporting facts for your above Trevor-claim as well. And as soon as something like the word "fraud" is involved, you are in duty.
This little article is already more than enough to support sananaman's claim at least.

The simple fact of associating with other frauds is enough.

Furthermore, any citation/reference dated as far back as 2016 would change an "is" to a "was", and your particular citation/reference establishes that Trev was a successful angel investor, by New Zealand standards, which has nothing to do with being an entrepreneur.

Hammer 
Posted on 22-Jun-2023 4:08:46
#597 ]
Elite Member

@sananaman

Quote:
If he was really was that good he would taken over Commodore and not Escom.

Escom interfered with Commodore UK's far east partner with Escom (Germany)'s false promises.

For the 1993 context, David Pleasance is correct on the "out-of-the-box" experience A1200 with the CPU accelerator bundle that was rejected by Commodore International.

AAA chipset will NOT solve Amiga's math compute capability problem.

Phase 5 (Germany) directed the PowerPC path for the Amiga is a failure. ARM smashed PowerPC in the embedded market.

Apollo Core 68080's +10,000 unit run beats Amiga-related PowerPC efforts.

Raspberry Foundation (UK) was able to create a Raspberry Pi ARM market with 500,000 monthly shipments that followed the spirit of ZX Spectrum and BBC Micro.

For the Amiga, PiStorm is leveraging Raspberry Foundation's Pi ARM economies of scale.

I'm open to cost vs performance competitive Qualcomm (USA) Oryon ARMv8 clone UEFI ATX motherboard. The PowerPC road map is a joke.

C= Amiga is not like premium German autos or premium brands like Apple iOS devices.

Amiga Hombre PA-RISC's main strength comes from 64-bit SIMD vector math capability at around 100 MHz. Intel MMX (1997) was designed to counter HP's PA-RISC MAX SIMD.
Amiga Hombre includes 3D hardware acceleration for 3D that targets OpenGL. The PC world also moved towards OpenGL before Direct3D eclipsed it.

HP PA-RISC workstations weren't low-cost and it has "no games".

Last edited by Hammer on 22-Jun-2023 at 05:05 AM.
Last edited by Hammer on 22-Jun-2023 at 04:30 AM.
Last edited by Hammer on 22-Jun-2023 at 04:24 AM.
Last edited by Hammer on 22-Jun-2023 at 04:14 AM.
Last edited by Hammer on 22-Jun-2023 at 04:13 AM.

Hammer 
Posted on 22-Jun-2023 4:54:38
#598 ]
Elite Member

@geen_naam

Quote:

geen_naam wrote:
@sananaman

Wow, that is a bit harsh. Even according to my own standards.

The generic idea of raising a fund that can be used for the benefit of the Amiga is not bad. The return of investment for the membership might be considered as the weak spot. But personally I would applaud all efforts that have a chance of improving the current situation.

But his biggest mistake was that he judged the community based on shows. Therefore he underestimated the generic negative mood, mockery, entrenched camps, amount of trolls and sheer fundamentalism of the community as a whole. At times it makes twitter look a fountain of reason.
If you have been part of this community for decades then you've grown a blind spot. But for returning amigans, like me, this is a huge letdown.

In defense of the community: the amount of hostilities, broken promises and scams might have shaped the community as it is today. But it would be nice if for once we could be more open minded and value progress. Wherever it comes from and wherever it might lead. And if it's your not cup of tea. At least respect that others might have a different opinion. Fundamentalism killed OS4. Let's keep Amiga alive.

AmigaOS 4.x is useless without the cost vs performance competitive CPU hardware platform and Phase 5's PowerPC / 68060-based accelerators are not low-cost.

AmigaOne SE/XE's incompetent Northbridge is a debacle.

Missing Altivec in AmigaOne X5000's CPU is a debacle. Stop hacking PowerPC instruction sets.

When a pretty good Raptor's Power9-based PCIe 4.0 Blackbird motherboard appeared, AmigaOS 4.x doesn't run it! Fact: 2015-era Windows 10 X64 (targets ACPI HAL) will run on the latest AMD AM5 or Intel LGA1700 motherboards (with ACPI HAL in UEFI) without modification.

AmigaOS 3.x 68K with PiStorm-ARM_RPI-Emu68 (soft fast 68K) beating PowerPC-based efforts. Existing AmigaOS 3.x runs on PiStorm-ARM_RPI-Emu68.

ARM-based SoC retro A500Mini (soft 68K) appeared in mainstream stores.

C= Amiga is not a premium brand like German autos or Apple iOS / MacOS X devices.

Jack Tramiel's "computers for the masses, not the classes" still works i.e. Raspberry Pi.

Hammer 
Posted on 22-Jun-2023 5:23:01
#599 ]
Elite Member

@21stcentury

Quote:

21stcentury wrote:
I appreciate David Pleasance and I regret that he couldn't buy Commodore in 1995 but there's nothing really interesting in this project at least for the Amiga future

we can criticize Hyperion but they try to do something and to move forward : AmigaOS4, AmigaOS3 updates and They would certainly do more without Cloanto who lock everything.

Cloanto's AmigaOS 3.X Kickstart ROM has support for the 64-bit file system.

Cloanto's customized AmigaOS 3.X functionality is similar to Hyperion's AmigaOS 3.1.4 / 3.2.

I purchased Cloanto's AmigaOS 3.X Kickstart ROM and Hyperion's AmigaOS 3.1.4 / 3.2.

For my A1200's PiStorm32 Lite/RPI 4B 4GB/Emu68 setup, I'm currently using CaffeineOS Storm due to the "out of the box" TCP/IP with WiFi stack and Netsurf 3.9.

My Amiga Forever is up to the 2016 version and my WinUAE 5.0 has Drawbridge USB floppy drive.

Last edited by Hammer on 22-Jun-2023 at 05:26 AM.

QBit 
Posted on 22-Jun-2023 5:49:10
#600 ]

@all
If I was a billionaire I would create a synthesis between that:
https://www.gekko-computer.de/Workstations/Dell/Precision-T7810/Dell-Workstation-Precision-T7810-2x-14C-Xeon-E5-2683-v3-2GHz-64GB-1TB-w-o-GPU.html

and that:
https://geizhals.de/raspberry-pi-400-raspberry-pi-400-de-unit-a2414598.html

and AROS

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle