Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
4 crawler(s) on-line.
 162 guest(s) on-line.
 5 member(s) on-line.

pavlor, OlafS25, pixie, more...

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 matthey:  1 min ago
 pavlor:  2 mins ago
 pixie:  2 mins ago
 Matt3k:  3 mins ago
 OlafS25:  4 mins ago
 zipper:  35 mins ago
 Hypex:  49 mins ago
 jPV:  51 mins ago
 amigang:  1 hr 54 mins ago
 hannana:  2 hrs ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4.x \ Workbench 4.x
      /  EUAE... A work of pure evil (Genius)
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
PosterThread
evilrich 
Re: EUAE... A work of pure evil (Genius)
Posted on 18-Oct-2004 9:37:11
#61 ]
Cult Member

@acefnq

Quote:
Is there any guide to the key mapping on the A1for EUAE?

The key-mapping on OS4.0 should be a fairly straightforward mapping of the classic Amiga keys. All the principle Amiga keys should do what you expect. F1 should produce F1, left Amiga should produce left Amiga, etc.

The only differences are the hot keys or control sequences. These are (as documented in the README);

Ctrl + Left Alt + Q Quit UAE
Ctrl + Left Alt + R Reset UAE (warm reset)
Ctrl + Left Alt + Left Shift + R Reset UAE (cold reset)
Ctrl + Left Alt + D Open built-in debugger/monitor

Ctrl + Left Alt + G Toggle mouse-grab mode (in windowed mode)
Ctrl + Left Alt + I Toggle display inhibit
Ctrl + Left Alt + A Cycle through audio interpolation modes (interpolation works with 16-bit audio only)

Ctrl + Left Alt + Numpad Plus Increase frame skip rate
Ctrl + Left Alt + Numpad Minus Decrease frame skip rate

Ctrl + Left Alt+ F1 Open dialog to insert floppy image in drive 0
Ctrl + Left Alt + F2 Open dialog to insert floppy image in drive 1
Ctrl + Left Alt + F3 Open dialog to insert floppy image in drive 2
Ctrl + Left Alt + F4 Open dialog to insert floppy image in drive 3
Ctrl + Left Alt + Left Shift + F1 Eject floppy image in drive 0
Ctrl + Left Alt + Left Shift + F2 Eject floppy image in drive 1
Ctrl + Left Alt + Left Shift + F3 Eject floppy image in drive 2
Ctrl + Left Alt + Left Shift + F4 Eject floppy image in drive 3

Ctrl + Left Alt + F Emulates freeze button of Action Replay cartridge (if you have a cartridge ROM loaded).

Cheers,
Rich

Profile     Report this post  
Anonymous 
Posted on 18-Oct-2004 10:22:01
# ]

@evilrich

Every time I press F1,F2,F3 or F4 I get the insert disk requestor. I have tried 2 different keyboards both do the same (they are generic Internet/Multimedia tpye keyboards).

Any ideas around this? I'll keep poking around but I would be interested if anyone else is having this problem.

Cheers
ace

Report this post  
Anonymous 
Posted on 18-Oct-2004 10:26:54
# ]

@acefnq

Hold five, I got it, F12+F1 =F1.

I am off to play Pinball, see you all in a week or so!!!

ace

Report this post  
GrumpyOldMan 
Posted on 18-Oct-2004 11:14:02
#64 ]
Cult Member

@evilrich

Quote:

evilrich wrote:
@GrumpyOldMan

Quote:
The 'joystick' controls being mapped to num keys - I'd prefer the arrow keys for direction and possibly ctrl key as fire button. Right now it is very easy to hit a wrong button in the middle of action, which makes playing more difficult that it should be.

There is an option to use the cursors keys and right ctrl for joystick emulation, but - I just tried this now - it doesn't work on AmigaOS. I'll see if I can fix this...

Many thanks

Quote:

You should actually be able to use a real joystick, but I've never been able to get a joystick to work in OS4.0.

Does it need something from OS4 side (like Catweasel MK3 drivers)?

GrumpyOldMan 
Posted on 18-Oct-2004 22:47:05
#65 ]
Cult Member

Might be old news to UAE veterans, but I thought I'd share this with you. I learned a neat trick today which allows me to boot WHDLoad games directly from OS4 AmiDock

First, create a directory called WorkBench to use in hard disk emulation, like described in a earlier message in this very thread (for example 'makedir UAE-HD/WorkBench - and edit the .uaerc so that UAE will find it (again, explained in a message in this thread).

Now you need to copy a installed WHDLoad game of your choice to this new Workbench directory, also create directories 'C' and 'S'. Copy the WHDLoad binary into c: and create a Startup-Sequence file to s: with following lines (only):

cd "add the path and name of WHDLoad game directory here as UAE will see it"
c:WHDLoad options

for example Midnight Resistance (by Ocean)

cd workbench:MidnightResistance
c:Whdload MidnightResistance.slave preload

Save the file.

BTW If you have a registered WHDLoad copy you might want to copy the keyfile to 's:'

Now the fun starts...

Start UAE as usual, and it reads the Startup-Sequence from your UAE 'hard disk' and loads the game directly - no need to boot into WB first.

Now you can create a similar system for each of your favourite WHDLoad HD game. By using the button.docky you can then create a icon for the game into AmiDock which launches UAE with the specific .uaerc script and launch your favourite classic game with a click of a mouse

edit: removed a silly mistake in the Startup-Sequence lines

Last edited by GrumpyOldMan on 18-Oct-2004 at 11:15 PM.

FuZion 
Posted on 19-Oct-2004 0:09:59
#66 ]

@GrumpyOldMan

Nice. I can't get it to work though. "Workbench:" wouldn't boot, so I popped in a Workbench3.1 adf file. The drive I have in the config file shows up but the dirs, "C", "S" & "SlamTilt" all come up as files. Is this because of the OS4 file system? Will I need a partition using an old file system?

FuZion.

GrumpyOldMan 
Posted on 19-Oct-2004 10:08:48
#67 ]
Cult Member

@FuZion

Quote:

FuZion wrote:
@GrumpyOldMan

Nice. I can't get it to work though. "Workbench:" wouldn't boot, so I popped in a Workbench3.1 adf file. The drive I have in the config file shows up but the dirs, "C", "S" & "SlamTilt" all come up as files. Is this because of the OS4 file system? Will I need a partition using an old file system?

That is not necessary. UAE should see the created directory as a hard disk, and look for startup-sequence from the 'S' directory (like it would in real Amiga). Try this:

Copy your existing UAE directory into another one, for example UAE-Slamtilt ( I use Dir Opus to do that). Now create the WorkBench directory into this new dir, and edit the .uaerc accordingly (I am assuming you do it to partition 'work:'

filesystem2=rw,dh0:workbench:work:UAE-Slamtilt/workbench,0
filesystem=rw,workbench: Work:UAE-Slamtilt/workbench

Copy the Slamtilt directory into the 'WorkBench' directory.

Now create the 'C' and 'S' into the Workbench directory (again I used DOpus)
and create the Startup-sequence into 'S' . I just copied the original Startup-sequence file from my OS3.1 disk, removed all the stuff from it and put the the two lines in there.

For the WHDload options, check the tool types from Slamtilt WHDLoad icon.

Make sure the protection bits in Startup-Sequence the file are correct - if you use an old file as the template they should be ok, otherwise you need to check them manually. At least the 's' bit should be set alongside 'rwed'.

Now if you doubleclick on the UAE icon it should boot from the new harddisk and load the game.

Hope this helps :--)

FuZion 
Posted on 19-Oct-2004 19:20:30
#68 ]

@GrumpyOldMan

It certainly did. There's a bit of tweaking to do but I now have an icon that I can double click, UAE runs & SlamTilt loads using WHDLoad. Thank you very much.

There'a couple of things I'm gonna ask now.

Comparing playing SlamTilt using WHDLoad with playing SlamTilt from ADF files. The sounds on the WHD version are lagging a little. Is there anything I can do to tighten this up? Lower quality possibly?

Next I have been testing SlamTilt, not only because it's a bloody great game but also because it does a couple of things. It's AGA only, it has multiple screens, & it switches between high & low resolution on the fly (Isn't the classic Amiga just that!). When in High Res & the screen scrolls up & down (Only during scrolling) I am getting the same effect that I would get with my flicker fixer. A kind of scanline effect. I guess the odd numbered lines are drawn at a different time to the even numbered lines, or something. Is this something that will be there forever or can it be overcome?

FuZion.

Radfoo 
Posted on 19-Oct-2004 19:32:01
#69 ]

@evilrich
Can you tell me how to make IPF images to work? Should the 68k plugin device work?

Thanks.

hotrod 
Posted on 19-Oct-2004 20:10:14
#70 ]
Elite Member

@acefnq

It doesn't work here! F12+F1 does still bring up a requester

Edit: I found out that CTRL+F1 worked!

Last edited by hotrod on 19-Oct-2004 at 08:38 PM.

Coder 
Posted on 19-Oct-2004 20:47:21
#71 ]
Team Member

@hotrod

Quote:
It doesn't work here! F12+F1 does still bring up a requester

Edit: I found out that CTRL+F1 worked!

I will try that. Sometimes F12+F1 worked in the game or just F1 but mostly both would bring up the requester.

Coder

Anonymous 
Posted on 19-Oct-2004 20:59:28
# ]

@Coder
Quote:
I will try that. Sometimes F12+F1 worked in the game or just F1 but mostly both would bring up the requester.

I've found this to be the cause: When you first load a game using ctrl-alt-F1, the release of ctrl-alt isn't registered. If you press ctrl-alt again (without F1) while in UAE it will just give you a normal F1 and not a requester next time you press F1.

Generally I just tend to do a ctrl-alt after inserting a disk. That way UAE gets notified that the buttons aren't held down any more.

Last edited by Trezzer on 19-Oct-2004 at 09:00 PM.

Report this post  
evilrich 
Posted on 19-Oct-2004 21:40:07
#73 ]
Cult Member

@Trezzer

Quote:
I've found this to be the cause: When you first load a game using ctrl-alt-F1, the release of ctrl-alt isn't registered. If you press ctrl-alt again (without F1) while in UAE it will just give you a normal F1 and not a requester next time you press F1.

Yes. Ctrl+Alt+F1 opens a dialog to insert a disk image in drive 0.

At the moment, the keys have to be pressed and held down in that order. Ctrl, Alt, then F1.

There's a bug, whereby if the E-UAE window looses focus when keys are held down (for instance when the ASL requester pops up), then E-UAE doesn't get a key-up event for the release of that key. Hence, the key can appear to be "stuck" down. Just press and release it again. As you say:

Quote:
Generally I just tend to do a ctrl-alt after inserting a disk.

That should solve the problem.

I'll fix this bug.

Cheers,
Rich

FuZion 
Posted on 19-Oct-2004 21:59:02
#74 ]

@evilrich

I have a lovely icon for SlamTilt noe that I can double click on, a requester pops up asking me if I wanna play in a window or on a screen. It works great but I'd like to ask:

- Can I 'set' the screenmode rather than using the default (amiga.screen_type=custom) that opens an 800x600 screen.

- Can I run UAE 'quietly' so that the output isn't displayed? I'll probably use it in the short term, trying various things out, but eventually...

FuZion.

Coder 
Posted on 19-Oct-2004 22:04:01
#75 ]
Team Member

Hi,

Is the keyboard input working correctly? It could be the game but when I start Wings and I want to fill in a name for a new player nothing happens on the screen. I type but nothing shows. Might be some silly thing. Anyone tried the game? The BudBrain demos (2) work great! Shadow of the Beast has some problems with the sound. It stops a lot. Maybe the game is too much demanding. But I must say I am really surprised at how it works.

Coder

GrumpyOldMan 
Posted on 19-Oct-2004 22:14:11
#76 ]
Cult Member

@FuZion

Quote:

It certainly did. There's a bit of tweaking to do but I now have an icon that I can double click, UAE runs & SlamTilt loads using WHDLoad. Thank you very much.

You're welcome

Quote:

There'a couple of things I'm gonna ask now.

Comparing playing SlamTilt using WHDLoad with playing SlamTilt from ADF files. The sounds on the WHD version are lagging a little. Is there anything I can do to tighten this up? Lower quality possibly?

Being no UAE expert, I don't know really - sounds like something worth trying. WHDLoad should not slow things down (quite the opposite usually).

evilrich 
Posted on 19-Oct-2004 22:24:42
#77 ]
Cult Member

@FuZion

Quote:
Can I 'set' the screenmode rather than using the default (amiga.screen_type=custom) that opens an 800x600 screen.

Try adding one of these sets of options to your config file (at the moment the gfx_#?_windowed options apply to windowed and full-screen modes).

To run in 640x480 add these lines to your config:

gfx_width_windowed=640
gfx_height_windowed=480
gfx_lores=false
gfx_linemode=scanlines
gfx_center_horizontal=true
gfx_center_vertical=true

To run in 320x240 use these:

gfx_width_windowed=320
gfx_height_windowed=240
gfx_lores=true
gfx_linemode=none
gfx_center_horizontal=true
gfx_center_vertical=true

Quote:
Can I run UAE 'quietly' so that the output isn't displayed?

Yes. Either start it as a WB program (use wbrun to do this if you're starting from a script), or send the stderr output to NIL: with

uae *>NIL:

Cheers,
Rich

evilrich 
Posted on 19-Oct-2004 22:30:38
#78 ]
Cult Member

@FuZion

Quote:

This is probably because emulating a hard drive requires more overhead than emulating a floppy drive.

To reduce the amount of work that E-UAE has to do try one of the following:

a) Run it in a smaller resolution
b) Tell it to skip frames when rendering (use Ctrl+Left Alt+Numpad-plus to increase the skip rate or use the gfx_framerate option).
c) Reduce the sound quality (with the sound_frequency option)

Cheers,
Rich

evilrich 
Posted on 19-Oct-2004 22:31:30
#79 ]
Cult Member

@Coder

Quote:
Is the keyboard input working correctly?

As far as I know, yes.

Cheers,
Rich

FuZion 
Posted on 19-Oct-2004 22:33:28
#80 ]

@GrumpyOldMan

I've been trying out some of the options in the config file. I can get the sounds to get tighter, like running from adf's but they jump. If I decrease "sound_buff_max" from the default "8192" to "4096", for example, the sounds occur quicker but this is when they 'jump' more.

FuZion.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle