Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
19 crawler(s) on-line.
 128 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 amigakit:  13 mins ago
 MarcioD:  36 mins ago
 Hammer:  44 mins ago
 kolla:  44 mins ago
 matthey:  51 mins ago
 NancyNash:  1 hr 5 mins ago
 agami:  1 hr 35 mins ago
 Hypex:  1 hr 51 mins ago
 Karlos:  1 hr 54 mins ago
 Musashi5150:  2 hrs ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  Thinking of going for a Micro A1
Register To Post

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
Anonymous 
Thinking of going for a Micro A1
Posted on 19-Jan-2005 19:43:44
# ]

Okay with all the MorphOS crap that just went down I am seriously thinking of ordering a Micro A1. Can someone please help me with a few questions.

1. Can I use the board in the current Mid size ATX tower I have or will I need to find an ITX replacement case? I like this tower now.

2. Will I get to have the current OS4 everyone is using if I get one? Will I have access to the posted updates for it as they come out like all you talk about getting?

3. How compatable is it now in relation to the current available MorphOS? The last time I used OS4 was at Amiwest 2004 and I wasnt to impressed over it to my MorphOS.

4. Will I notice a big speed diffrence going from a G4 1000 to a G3 800? Can I use a G4 on it? Will a G4 come out?

5. Where is the best place to get one here in the USA? I will be making my decision by the 28th of Jan.

6. Think there is a chance that OS4 may now come to Pegasos II hardware? I plan to sell mine and wanted to make sure first.

Thanks a lot everyone.

Last edited by Acill on 19-Jan-2005 at 07:50 PM.

Report this post  
_Steve_ 
Re: Thinking of going for a Micro A1
Posted on 19-Jan-2005 19:49:04
#2 ]
Team Member

@Acill

1) No idea sorry.

2) I believe the latest Update 2 OS4 CDs are also shipped with the machines Software Hut sell. If that isn't the case you'll need to register your uA1 serial code with Hyperion to gain access to the updates from their servers.

3) Cannot comment as I have only used MOS0.4d

4) No idea, sorry.

5) There is a list of dealers on the right hand side of the main page here. I believe Software Hut in the USA is probably your best bet at the moment though.

Profile     Report this post  
MikeB 
Posted on 19-Jan-2005 19:58:50
#3 ]
Elite Member

@Acill

Mini-ITX boards like the MicroA1 fit into Mini-ITX, Flex-ATX, Micro ATX and ordinary ATX form factor cases. For some smaller computer cases you may want to check if the power supply is sufficient and if there is enough room left for proper heat circulation [sink/fan(s)].

Last edited by MikeB on 19-Jan-2005 at 08:00 PM.

ikir 
Posted on 19-Jan-2005 20:00:10
#4 ]
Elite Member

@Acill

1-Yes but mini-itx cases are cute
2-You will receive the update1 cd, then register it on www.hyperion-entertainment.biz and download update2
3-Compatible? Do you mean 68k. I've heard that 68k emu on MOS is impressive. For the apps i use on OS4 i don't have problem, BUT REMEMBER Petunia isn't released for us, mortal users you need to wait the next update or final OS4 for a great speed up in 68k emulation.
4-A little for sure, but a G3-800 is good and you can upgrade with the future G4 module (1,4ghzG4 i read somewhere-speculation). You can also use a CPU of an XE. I'm running my G4 @ 1000.
5-Don't know
6-Who know?

I suggest to wait a little, maybe OS4 will be ported on Peg2, so you have already a good hardware for AmigaOS. In the meanwhile update3 could be out and you can enjoy maybe udma on Micro, Warp3D, Petunia, better USB support....

Last edited by ikir on 19-Jan-2005 at 08:00 PM.

ssolie 
Posted on 19-Jan-2005 20:10:38
#5 ]
Elite Member

@Acill
Quote:
1. Can I use the board in the current Mid size ATX tower I have or will I need to find an ITX replacement case? I like this tower now.

It should fit in any case with the correct holes. I'm not an expert on this but I purchased an Antec Aria case and the holes matched. The downside is no backplate will fit the board. The upside is a standard backplate with two serial ports fits. Contact your dealer for info. on a proper backplate. AFAIK, Eyetech still have not fixed the backplate issue.

Quote:
2. Will I get to have the current OS4 everyone is using if I get one? Will I have access to the posted updates for it as they come out like all you talk about getting?

Yes. All you need is the OS4 serial number.

Quote:
3. How compatable is it now in relation to the current available MorphOS? The last time I used OS4 was at Amiwest 2004 and I wasnt to impressed over it to my MorphOS.

I don't have MorphOS but I know it is not as compatible from touring MorphOS forums for the last year or so. I doubt it will ever be as compatible as MorphOS because OS4 used a different philosophy on the matter. Basically, when something comes up which could break compatibility versus move the platform forward, compatibility was broken. However, there are quite a few little hacks in there to enable key apps to run so it isn't that bad. Just not as good as MorphOS for compatibility and likely never will be. UAE might be a good workaround for many problems thanks to evilrich.

Quote:
4. Will I notice a big speed diffrence going from a G4 1000 to a G3 800? Can I use a G4 on it? Will a G4 come out?

I have a 7455@800 and a GX@800. The GX (G3) beats the 7455 (G4) in my own useability tests. Accelerators are expected to be out soon-ish but I can't say much more about it at this time.

Quote:
5. Where is the best place to get one here in the USA? I will be making my decision by the 28th of Jan.

I'd say whomever has them in stock. I don't think any of them are "bad" per se. Batches of boards seem to sell out very quickly and Eyetech don't seem to make very big batches.

Quote:
6. Think there is a chance that OS4 may now come to Pegasos II hardware? I plan to sell mine and wanted to make sure first.

Personally, I think it will be a very cold day in hell if they have to deal with BBRV. The only way I see it happening is if a 3rd party makes it happen and Amiga Inc/KMOS allows a license to be issued. Touch and go.

Anonymous 
Posted on 19-Jan-2005 20:17:25
# ]

So there isnt a back plate that covers the ports with the A1? That it unsat. How can they let just a simple thing not be included? Hmm... For $700 I would think you should get at least that with it.

Well I need to find a dealer now that has one in stock I guess.

Report this post  
nzv58l 
Posted on 19-Jan-2005 20:17:33
#7 ]

@Acill

Software Hut is where I bought mine from. Unfortunatly I bought mine before OS 4 was released to non-beta tester users. If I were you I would call or email Software Hut with your questions.

As far as fitting it into a standard case, I suppose anything is possible if you don't mind a bit of drilling. If not and you really like your case, you may want to wait for another version of the XE board. I wouldn't buy someone elses XE board right now, because the board does have a few teething pains in it.

Unfortunatly, I doubt very much that OS 4 will come to the Peg. It is mostly due to the fact that Hyperion will most likely never get the information on the Peg board that is needed to do the port although stranger things have happened in the past. It also would be like stabbing Eytech in the back. Not sure if it would be the right move or not.

I do not own a Peg or have never seen one in action, but the A1 here runs great.

Restore2003 
Posted on 19-Jan-2005 20:20:04
#8 ]

@acill:

Long time no see Acill! I dont know if you remember me?

Anyways, good to see you here

Anonymous 
Posted on 19-Jan-2005 20:25:42
# ]

@Restore2003

Quote:

Restore2003 wrote:
@acill:

Long time no see Acill! I dont know if you remember me?

Anyways, good to see you here

Sure I do! Are you using an A1? Tell me about it? I am very close to making the decision to buy one. I just dont want a G3 and I dont want the buggy hardware in the full size boards if I found a G4 for sale.

Report this post  
ktadd 
Posted on 19-Jan-2005 20:29:53
#10 ]
Cult Member

@Acill
Quote:
So there isnt a back plate that covers the ports with the A1?

I received a backplate with the case I purchased. It was a really thin cheesy one though so I used on that came with an Intel motherboard we bought at work. That case also came with one so there was an extra. I did have to do a little filing on the backplane to make it work. Last time I talked with Software Hut they were looking into getting some custom back planes made. I don't if anything ever came of it. Give them a call. I've been doing business with them for years and I purchased my uA1 from them. They provide excellent support.

www.softhut.com

Hyperionmp 
Posted on 19-Jan-2005 20:39:43
#11 ]
Hyperion

@Acill

Actually you will find that the PPC 750 GX @ 800 Mhz is usually faster than a 1 Ghz G4.

The GX has larger L2 on die cache than the FX and some architectural advantages.

Anonymous 
Posted on 19-Jan-2005 20:44:47
# ]

@Hyperionmp

Quote:

Hyperionmp wrote:
@Acill

Actually you will find that the PPC 750 GX @ 800 Mhz is usually faster than a 1 Ghz G4.

The GX has larger L2 on die cache than the FX and some architectural advantages.

Sounds great. Now here is the million dollar wuestion. As a LONG time Amiga user and then MorphOS user ( I was never without an Amiga all the way to the release of the Pegasos II, one of the first owners) How will I feel using the new OS4? Is it like using an Amiga? Does it fell responsive like 3.9 did and MorphOS does? Please dont sugar coat it. I want the down and dirty truth PLEASE. Thanks again.

Report this post  
Restore2003 
Posted on 19-Jan-2005 20:48:40
#13 ]

@Acill

I dont have an A1 yet, but i have tried Toaks`s A1+Newest beta of Os4 , and it was an incredible feeling, it`s got the genuine amiga os3.1/3.9 feeling, but much more powerful and responsive on large resolutions.
And it`s got a heaploads of new features since os3.9, actually i think u would need to read acouple of a4 pages, to read what`s new in 4.0

I had that feeling once before, and that was in 1988 when i first unwrapped my a500 and started to play with it

And that is the truth, no sugar added

Last edited by Restore2003 on 19-Jan-2005 at 08:51 PM.
Last edited by Restore2003 on 19-Jan-2005 at 08:49 PM.

aldur 
Posted on 19-Jan-2005 20:55:36
#14 ]

@Acill
Quote:

I have a standard size mid tower all case now come with screw holes in standard places so the board should attach easily

Quote:

you will get os4 with the latest release

Quote:

Shrugh ask toaks

Quote:

speed probably depends on what you are doing with it. its not windows so it doesn't really need that much power for day to day os work (processor intensive stuff will be a bit slower)

Quote:

no idea

Quote:

don't think this will happen, BBRV (has to want/can afford) to buy a licence for OS4 first and Amiga has to want to sell it to him as well,

aldur

x56h34 
Posted on 19-Jan-2005 21:01:06
#15 ]

I've never tried MOS, so I don't know how it compares to OS4.0, however OS4.0 compared to OS3.9 is clearly a huge step ahead. I am very impressed at the job done, and I think that Hyperion should be proud of themselves.

The only gripe that I have about the whole experience is the lack of much needed software support for OS4.0, but this should improve over time. We have to be patient.

Rogue 
Posted on 19-Jan-2005 21:02:41
#16 ]
OS4 Core Developer

@Hyperionmp

Quote:

Yeah, I can confirm that. The 750GX@800 beats my 7447@1100 in a quake benchmark, which I found quite remarkable...

Rogue 
Posted on 19-Jan-2005 21:07:51
#17 ]
OS4 Core Developer

@Acill

Quote:
How will I feel using the new OS4?

I am surely not unbiased, and don't pretend to be so. But I have had an Amiga since 1988 (bought an A500 from the first money I got for my millitary service), and I've seen every Workbench version from 1.2 to 3.9 and then 4.0.

I would venture to say you will not be disappointed.

Megatron 
Posted on 19-Jan-2005 21:15:28
#18 ]

@Rogue

Quote:

Rogue wrote:
@Hyperionmp

Quote:

Yeah, I can confirm that. The 750GX@800 beats my 7447@1100 in a quake benchmark, which I found quite remarkable...

Um did i bye the wrong XE ? Lol
any way ...hows warp3D going .......

MY TRANSFORMER IS AN AMIGA ONE XE AND ITS AS

Rogue 
Posted on 19-Jan-2005 21:30:26
#19 ]
OS4 Core Developer

@Troll

Quote:
.hows warp3D going

Progressing, but I have a slight problem with the new Radeon driver that needs sorting out first. Other than that it is as good as finished, and will go into final beta test soon.

ssolie 
Posted on 19-Jan-2005 21:32:28
#20 ]
Elite Member

@Acill
Quote:
I just dont want a G3 and I dont want the buggy hardware in the full size boards if I found a G4 for sale.

I have both a MicroA1-C and an XE with the necessary h/w patches. Both work equally well with full speed UDMA, Ethernet, USB, etc. The only problem with my XE is the sound is permanently botched and will never work. Stay far away from any SE boards as they seem quite broken from user reports and I have not heard of any patches being available. The XE however, works perfectly once the h/w patches are installed so I wouldn't be worried about picking one up second hand. Russ at Mr. Hardware Computers is the only authorized US dealer capable of doing the XE patches from what I understand.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle