Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
31 crawler(s) on-line.
 73 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 agami:  10 mins ago
 amigasociety:  32 mins ago
 matthey:  1 hr 18 mins ago
 RobertB:  1 hr 35 mins ago
 Rob:  1 hr 59 mins ago
 number6:  3 hrs 4 mins ago
 Karlos:  3 hrs 40 mins ago
 kolla:  4 hrs 9 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  4 hrs 37 mins ago
 OlafS25:  5 hrs 11 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  MorphOS Software
      /  SCSI problem still in MorpOS 3.11 with X5000!
Register To Post

PosterThread
Gregor 
SCSI problem still in MorpOS 3.11 with X5000!
Posted on 12-Jul-2018 7:30:51
#1 ]

The X5000 SCSI driver bug which I already reported here for MOS 3.10 is still present in 3.11! Actually, it is now even worse as booting from 3.11 CD does not finish at all (if there is a SCSI board installed in PCI bus of X5000) but hangs after the following text has appeared on screen:

'Loaded "bootcyrusplus.img" from "iso....", booting...'

I tried to report this bug using the automatic link included in MOS but it crashed, so I report it also here. It is curious that the broken driver module was not even disabled in 3.11 as it is doing just harm.

Regards,

Gregor

Profile     Report this post  
outrun1978 
Re: SCSI problem still in MorpOS 3.11 with X5000!
Posted on 12-Jul-2018 8:30:02
#2 ]
Cult Member

@Gregor

How are you finding MorphOS otherwise on the X5000 and what graphics card are you using ?

I am in two minds here about installing it after a bit of a test run on a cheap Mac Mini G4 I picked up. I have been impressed with how Amiga like it actually is.

Reasons for
-The X5000 should run things a lot quicker,already found that E-UAE suffers from some Sam460 style stuttering on games like R-Type 2 on the Lower spec Mac hardware.
-love the new Iris email client
-Odyssey 1.25

Reasons against
-I’ll lose the 3D stuff on AmigaOS 4 if I swap my current graphics card
-running Whdload and classic software in E-UAE requires a bit of configuration which is a ball ache compared to the simplicity of RuninUAE.

JimIgou 
Posted on 12-Jul-2018 14:35:54
#3 ]

@Gregor

Quote:
The X5000 SCSI driver bug which I already reported here for MOS 3.10 is still present in 3.11

Its just a boot bug though, right?
And you could boot from a USB flash drive, or an SATA or PATA cd/dvd drive.

My guess would be that the primary users of this driver are worried about connecting SCSI hard drives.

Last edited by JimIgou on 12-Jul-2018 at 02:39 PM.
Last edited by JimIgou on 12-Jul-2018 at 02:36 PM.

Gregor 
Posted on 12-Jul-2018 14:56:16
#4 ]

@outrun1978

Quote:
How are you finding MorphOS otherwise on the X5000 and what graphics card are
you using ?

I have a HD 5450. As I also like to 'tinker' with Linux, it has been a good compromise as it is compatible with all distros.

Quote:

I am in two minds here about installing it after a bit of a test run on a cheap Mac Mini G4 I picked up. I have been impressed with how Amiga like it actually is.

I have the same feeling, maybe somewhat ambiguous, too. Everything is in a way 'strange' (compared to AmigaOS), but when you look below the surface you realize the basement is very similar. Outlook and many details are carefully designed and system tools are in general working well.

But I found it somewhat slow compared to OS4, like when trying to start programs (I often loaded Odyssey accidentally in two or tree copies because the delay was so long I believed the mouse clicking was not registered at all!). Also, I do not quite understand the redundant directory organization, as there are in the "MorphOS" (dir) many subdirs which are also present at the top level of the System disk.

In installation there are still quirks... Installing from a CD is so slow that the 30 mins limit is exceeded, and the installer does not seem to accept .iso file as an installation source (at least in my system; even if I tried different locations for the .iso file, the installation button was never activated, even if chose the correct path and file name).

Regards,

Gregor

Last edited by Gregor on 12-Jul-2018 at 02:57 PM.

Gregor 
Posted on 12-Jul-2018 15:35:30
#5 ]

@JimIgou

Quote:

JimIgou wrote:
@Gregor

Quote:
The X5000 SCSI driver bug which I already reported here for MOS 3.10 is still present in 3.11

Its just a boot bug though, right?
And you could boot from a USB flash drive, or an SATA or PATA cd/dvd drive.

No, I'm afraid this problem is not related to the drive you are booting from. I forgot to say the CD was in a SATA drive, and I tested also with a USB drive, no difference. It is the SCSI controller itself, as this happens also if there is no disk connected to it. Currently only 'fix' is to remove the board.

OS4 FE has a similar bug (fixed a year ago but not published yet... ;), but there you can at least disable the driver module by yourself, by modifying 'Kicklayout' file. With Linux distros, no problems.

Regards,

Gregor

jPV 
Posted on 12-Jul-2018 16:07:09
#6 ]
Cult Member

@Gregor

Quote:

Gregor wrote:
@outrun1978

Also, I do not quite understand the redundant directory organization, as there are in the "MorphOS" (dir) many subdirs which are also present at the top level of the System disk.

I find this a great feature! All system files are inside the SYS:MorphOS/ directory and user isn't allowed to touch these. If user wants to add anything 3rd party or modify startup scripts or install drivers/libraries/anything, he does it in the SYS: just like on classic Amiga.

Why this is so great? Because when you upgrade the OS, OS provided files in SYS:MorphOS/ get replaced by the installer and everything 3rd party and user configurations are preserved in SYS:. This way you never need to re-install the whole OS and system update over the existing system never fails! I've been updating my MorphOS systems since 2004 when I started to use it, and never has the update feature failed or caused any issues.

I've so used to this that I consider arranging a similar system to my classic Amigas next time I re-install any of them. I've always hated on classics, that you mix the system provided files with 3rd party crap, and you never remember which is an original file and which isn't.

Gregor 
Posted on 12-Jul-2018 18:50:01
#7 ]

@jPV
Quote:

jPV wrote: I find this a great feature! All system files are inside the SYS:MorphOS/ directory and user isn't allowed to touch these. If user wants to add anything 3rd party or modify startup scripts or install drivers/libraries/anything, he does it in the SYS: just like on classic Amiga.

Why this is so great? Because when you upgrade the OS, OS provided files in SYS:MorphOS/ get replaced by the installer and everything 3rd party and user configurations are preserved in SYS:. This way you never need to re-install the whole OS and system update over the existing system never fails! I've been updating my MorphOS systems since 2004 when I started to use it, and never has the update feature failed or caused any issues.

I've so used to this that I consider arranging a similar system to my classic Amigas next time I re-install any of them. I've always hated on classics, that you mix the system provided files with 3rd party crap, and you never remember which is an original file and which isn't.

Ok, now I understand the logic behind that arrangement... Yes, the idea is good! I have 'solved' that problem in AmigaOS by adding a comment to third party libraries etc., and by keeping small commands/utilities, self-made batch files etc. in a separate drawer which I have added to the path, and larger 3rd party programs on a separate partition.

What happens in MOS if you have e.g. a library with same name on both system and user side? Does the system check which has higher version number, or is the 'user version' chosen automatically if present?

Regards,

Gregor

outrun1978 
Posted on 12-Jul-2018 20:22:32
#8 ]
Cult Member

@Gregor

Interesting that you find It slower than AmigaOS although I take it you mainly refer to general Ambient use. That’s quite a surprise considering what I think many have been led to believe.

From my own play around on the i-Mac Mini I’ve found Mplayer to run better than on AmigaOS and yes it was a nice surprise to see better performance on stuff like Payback and Wipeout 2097 on MorphOS.

You are right about things being strangely familiar it feels at times like I am using a modern version of OS3.1 complete with all sorts of extras that used to come on Amiga Format and CU CD-Roms whereas AmigaOS 4 is effectively a PPC version of 3.9

khayoz 
Posted on 12-Jul-2018 20:44:02
#9 ]

@Gregor

Why try to boot a X5000 from SCSI in 2018?

Edit: Yeah I got a X5000 myself.

Last edited by khayoz on 12-Jul-2018 at 08:45 PM.

Gregor 
Posted on 12-Jul-2018 22:08:31
#10 ]

@khayoz
Quote:
khayoz wrote:

Why try to boot a X5000 from SCSI in 2018?

I was not saying anything about booting from SCSI...! In fact, you cannot cold boot X5000 via any 'addiotional' disk controller in PCI bus, only via onboard Sata and USB.

BTW, my UW SCSI disks beat ALL the USB disks I have so far tested with X5000 in write/read speed, more or less! Remember that X5000 has only USB 2.0 (and Sata 2.0), thus SCSI III is not that 'slow and old fashioned' as you seem to imagine... And they will probably last far longer than any of these "consumer "quality"" drives sold nowadays ;).

Regards,

Gregor

ASiegel 
Posted on 13-Jul-2018 6:55:16
#11 ]

@Gregor

Quote:
I tried to report this bug using the automatic link included in MOS but it crashed, so I report it also here

The report was successfully submitted and is listed in the internal bug tracker at least.

jPV 
Posted on 13-Jul-2018 11:51:34
#12 ]
Cult Member

@Gregor

Quote:

Gregor wrote:

Ok, now I understand the logic behind that arrangement... Yes, the idea is good! I have 'solved' that problem in AmigaOS by adding a comment to third party libraries etc., and by keeping small commands/utilities, self-made batch files etc. in a separate drawer which I have added to the path, and larger 3rd party programs on a separate partition.

And one other nice advantage is that when you do a system update, the old SYS:MorphOS/ directory is automatically renamed as a backup directory, and whole new directory is copied as a new SYS:MorphOS/. This allows you to revert back to the old MorphOS versions just by renaming the directories. Or you can try older versions of commands or anything from the backup directory. It makes the system updates even more safe.

Quote:
What happens in MOS if you have e.g. a library with same name on both system and user side? Does the system check which has higher version number, or is the 'user version' chosen automatically if present?

Hmmm.. I don't remember 100% sure now, I always check that I don't have duplicates and I never use other versions if something is provided with the MorphOS itself, but IIRC the priority is on the files which are in SYS:MorphOS in any case, but there are exceptions like you don't have to delete the old shell-startup script from SYS:MorphOS/S/ when you take your own in use in SYS:S/.

The MorphOS readme states like this:
- Q: I'd like to replace some MorphOS components with 3rd party stuff. How do
I do that?
A: First of all, we don't support such configuration. Once you start to
replace system stuff you are on your own. Anyway, if you want to replace a
library, for example MOSSYS:Libs/foobar.library, put your 3rd party
foobar.library into libs: (which is SYS:Libs) and *rename*
MOSSYS:Libs/foobar.library to MOSSYS:Libs/foobar.library_ (you can use any
name but appending '_' is handy). The system will then fallback to
LIBS:foobar.library. But you should really refrain from doing that as
MorphOS libraries are heavily improved and extended compared to 3rd party
stuff.

Rob 
Posted on 14-Jul-2018 19:18:20
#13 ]
Elite Member

@outrun1978

Quote:
-I’ll lose the 3D stuff on AmigaOS 4 if I swap my current graphics card

Low profile X600 cards seem to be readily available even if not new. I was able to find them for under £10 on Ebay and a PCIe x1 to x16 adapter can be had for about £20.

outrun1978 
Posted on 15-Jul-2018 6:31:56
#14 ]
Cult Member

@Rob

Cheers for the tip..... I think this may help to solve a conundrum I have.... 😉

Spectre660 
Posted on 15-Jul-2018 12:26:33
#15 ]
Elite Member

@Rob

If you are refering to a dual graphics card setup for X5000 then it seems to only work for Linux .

Rob 
Posted on 15-Jul-2018 13:06:57
#16 ]
Elite Member

@Spectre660

It's not about having dual videos card but having a card well supported by MorphOS without having to pull out the card well suited to OS4.

Unless there is some show stopper in the MorphOS API's that will stop you being able to use the X600 because another card is plugged then I don't see a problem.

Spectre660 
Posted on 15-Jul-2018 13:16:26
#17 ]
Elite Member

@Rob

If the OS that you are booting cannot initialize the primary video card (x16 slot on the X5000) you will not get any video output. so unless there is a way to set a card in another slot as the primary card in U-boot then no display.

Last edited by Spectre660 on 15-Jul-2018 at 01:17 PM.

Rob 
Posted on 15-Jul-2018 14:05:36
#18 ]
Elite Member

@Spectre660

So if your installed MorphOS with only the X600 installed and then later put the other card back in the x16 slot would MorphOS not initialise the X600 in the x1 slot when it booted?

Spectre660 
Posted on 15-Jul-2018 14:17:00
#19 ]
Elite Member

@Rob

Nope. U-boot has to do the initial work for Radeon Cards.
Linux can bring up another card without U-boot after the first card is initialized.
I have not experimented with any other cards.

outrun1978 
Posted on 18-Jul-2018 17:26:14
#20 ]
Cult Member

@Gregor

I too have now taken the plunge with MorphOS on the X5000. Basically my Radeon HD7750 is now sitting in a nice anti-static bag until it gets supported by the MorphOS guys. Replaced it for the time being with a Radeon 1550 which i picked up off Ebay for about £6.00. It will also allow me to try and see if i can benefit from hardware acceleration in Linux which I havent yet tried but know was not yet possible with the 7750.

Yes I am sacrificing the 3D stuff in OS4, but this one supports 3D in MorphOS although not Warp3D. Have to give a big thumbs up to how well this performs on the X5000, its much quicker than on that Mac Mini G4 i tried and extremely stable.

Mplayer is amazingly good in MorphOS, really impressed with the Iris email client. Odyssey really flies. Its pretty good on OS4, but the updated version on MorphOS I am finding is really quick and I can now access the full features of Wordpress again

Am busy setting stuff up, but will be doing a blog post on this shortly for others. There is a lot to like in MorphOS.

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle