Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
11 crawler(s) on-line.
 115 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Gunnar:  8 mins ago
 retrofaza:  20 mins ago
 kolla:  23 mins ago
 saimo:  30 mins ago
 A1200:  32 mins ago
 MEGA_RJ_MICAL:  37 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  1 hr ago
 zipper:  1 hr 1 min ago
 clint:  1 hr 37 mins ago
 RickSkid:  1 hr 46 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Site Announcements
      /  Possible Amigaworld.net Forum Software Update
Register To Post

Poll : Which would be the best forum software for Amigaworld.net?
Simple Machines Forum (Amiga.org's choice)
Wix
vBulletin
MyBB
Vanilla
Flarum
Discourse

PosterThread
BigD 
Possible Amigaworld.net Forum Software Update
Posted on 21-Oct-2020 22:57:16
#1 ]
Elite Member

An Amigaworld.net refresh has been suggested by bison and has already been hinted at by AmigaKit. AmigaKit would like to take a 'cookie cutter' approach by using the same 'Simple Machines Forum' software transitioned to during the Amiga.org update.

If a refresh/modern transition was the way forward, which would be the BEST new software platform to run the site in an ideal world?

I ran out of options for 'phpBB', 'I like old and outdated websites to run on my old and outdated Classic Amiga' and 'pancakes'! I'm sorry!

Maybe one of the options could add more fields for Poll Options? We can but dream and imagine how many respondents would have chosen:

'I like old and outdated websites to run on my old and outdated Classic Amiga'

Oh well. I think I better dance now!

Last edited by BigD on 21-Oct-2020 at 11:09 PM.
Last edited by BigD on 21-Oct-2020 at 11:02 PM.

Profile     Report this post  
Samurai_Crow 
Re: Possible Amigaworld.net Forum Software Update
Posted on 22-Oct-2020 5:58:32
#2 ]
Elite Member

@BigD

Re:viewing on Amigas

I would hope that some future version of Hollywood's MUI Royale plugin would have enough features to implement a forum browser application on a 3 or 4 bitplane MUI GUI.

The only missing feature on the current version is the lack of inline links. Andreas has agreed to put that into a future RapaGUI version but RapaGUI presently lacks the ability to open on planar screens.

To that end, we should look for a forum software that offers a ReST interface for the app to access. I know Vanilla has a plugin if not a standard feature for this. Others might also.

Last edited by Samurai_Crow on 22-Oct-2020 at 06:03 AM.

redfox 
Posted on 26-Oct-2020 22:09:06
#3 ]
Elite Member

@BigD

I have no idea which is the best software platform to use to update this site.

Is there is a way to retain the existing default look and feel of Amigaworld.net with new more secure forum software?

I would be very sad if the final result looked like amiga.org ...

I have difficulty reading Amiga.org with any web browser.  The layout of the Recent Forum Topics page just doesn't make sense to me.  I think maybe it is the choices used for fonts.  For me, the subjects seem to blend into each other. Maybe it would help if the subject was in bold font. Once I'm into an actual forum thread, it's ok.

Like some others here, I would like to be able to view Amigaworld.net with IBrowse.

Of course, I have other choices, such as NetSurf, OWB, Odyssey
(and Samsung tablet).

---
redfox

Last edited by redfox on 15-Nov-2020 at 08:31 PM.
Last edited by redfox on 15-Nov-2020 at 08:30 PM.
Last edited by redfox on 15-Nov-2020 at 08:27 PM.
Last edited by redfox on 26-Oct-2020 at 10:11 PM.

Hypex 
Posted on 31-Oct-2020 12:53:12
#4 ]
Elite Member

@BigD

I was going to vote but there is no custom option and no Pancakes on the bottom.

I don't think they should adapt it to look like Amiga.org. I recall at the time I was using IBrowse, perhaps on the real thing, and it just didn't work on an Amiga any more. It just wasn't the same any more and the look would have changed. So I lost interest even if now days it would work on Odyssey fine.

But my main objection is picking a common forum engine because it's popular. I find no forum to be really easy to use. And they have terrible quoting methods. Take here, for instance, where you can quote sections of text in your replies. You can't do that on other forums. I've tried on more modern forums and they simply suck! They don't do simple quoting like on here. I recently learned what the Multi-quote feature is about on forums. I thought it was multiple quoting a post like you can do on here. Nope, it was multi quoting different people. For years I couldn't figure why I couldn't multi quote paragraphs. Because it doesn't do it! And the posts display in reverse order when you reply so you need to go up and down to find the section you want to quote. The only thing of useful value is the "User Crap" panel. Where you can at least find posted threads and other activity.

If the engine is changed I think it should be modernised. So that simple quoting is easy to do. That is, being able to reply to a person by selecting what paragraphs to insert. Even multiple people if desired. It should automatically "at" the person at start but not after. I'd go further and say a post should be editable on screen. Not an editing window but a WYSIWYG editor. That is the editor would look exactly like the end result without an echo below it. Paragraphs would be highlighted and non editable but sentences could be cut out to only what is desired. It's the sort of modern editor a modern email client should have but what you don't see in the top post generation.

I'll cite an example. My local Whirlpool forums. This has one of the most modern yet oldest forums engines I've seen. This would be my favourite forum next to AmigaWorld. I've chosen an Amiga related post. As you can see it starts with a user name. This is automatic on the first paragraph quoted. The rest just have the text. Some forums are similar in operation but always quote the writer. So are less intelligent. Here it just "at's" the person simply and doesn't complicate it. To quote you simply drag select what you want and press a button. Better than the common methods now days where you can't do that exactly. Well, this is my thoughts in forums for the last few years. Thanks for asking!

https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/thread/3z8w7yp3#r67722027

Last edited by Hypex on 01-Nov-2020 at 03:22 AM.

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle