Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
17 crawler(s) on-line.
 131 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Rob:  17 mins ago
 zipper:  18 mins ago
 Gunnar:  21 mins ago
 amigakit:  1 hr 14 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  1 hr 20 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  1 hr 24 mins ago
 kolla:  1 hr 36 mins ago
 Comi:  2 hrs 5 mins ago
 vox:  2 hrs 51 mins ago
 BigD:  3 hrs 58 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga News & Events
      /  Who's going to AmigaEast?
Register To Post

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
Sbaitso 
Who's going to AmigaEast?
Posted on 27-Feb-2005 0:24:53
#1 ]

AmigaEast is rapidly approaching and I'm wondering who's going to be attending. Any news about the list of vendors and guest speakers who will be there? Will there be an audio broadcast? The international shows generate plenty of buzz and I'm hopeful that the US based shows will begin to follow that trend and the amount of news surrounding it will increase as the show nears. Call it a shamless plug if you will, I'm just glad to have a major show on the east coast.

Profile     Report this post  
cecilia 
Re: Who's going to AmigaEast?
Posted on 27-Feb-2005 2:07:04
#2 ]
Cult Member

@Sbaitso

ME! ME! ME!

aside from what's listed on the website, I don't really know about the venders, and last I heard there should be at least audio broadcast.

I think we should use this thread to create and keep up a "buzz" because, for me, this show is all about having a party for Amiga and celebrating why we all love this computer/OS.

I'll start....
This is how I fell in love with Amiga:

Many years ago I was working on a commercial, air-brushing some cels. This is where I met Rose Lovell who, over the course of the time we worked, revealed that she and her husband had written the driver for the summagraphics tablet for this computer called Amiga (i had NO idea what in the heck she was talking about) and had written a page flipping program called LightBox. (The was later incorporated in Dpaint, BTW).

Anyway, we laughted and worked and had a great time and one day she told me about something called AmiExpo and why don't I drop over and take a look at her stuff (she was displaying the above programs). So I said, sure!

Well, I walked in and to say I had an epiphany is an understatement!
After I saw her stuff - which is the first time I realized a computer could be used as an artists' tool, i saw alot of other Very cool things. LIVE was there (remember that? the one where you stand in front of the scanning device and wave your arms around which would trigger sounds), Digi-View, and paint programs, and music programs and so many other things, I just walked around with my eyes spinning madly in my head!

I was determined to own this computer and eventually saved my pennies to buy a 2000. Which I still have. The first thing I did when I brought it home and unpacked it, was to start the SAY program, phone up a friend and say to them, "listen to this". I then clicked the SAY program and holding the phone to the speakers it said, "This is cecilia's amiga". (in that crasy mechanical voice). I can't tell you how wonderful it was to do something Immediately with a machine that was simple and fun!

I taught myself animation - all on a system that only had 2 floppy drives and just the build-in memory.

This (and alot of work and time later) was what made it possible for me to expand my career towards special effects. And THAT is why I feel such loyalty toward Amiga.

For me, the words, "Amiga makes it possible" is no lie!

Plaz 
Posted on 27-Feb-2005 4:00:01
#3 ]

@Sbaitso

I'd love to go, but according to mapquest it's about a 900 mile (1500km) drive and air fair is not in my budget.

@Cecilia

Make sure to take lots of pictures for the rest of us

Plaz

Bodie_CI5 
Posted on 27-Feb-2005 4:26:11
#4 ]
Elite Member

@cecilia

Man! You gotta tell us what projects you had gotten into post-Amiga purchase! I've been dying to know.

Oh, and I agree with Plax, take some piccies of the show... but also one or two of you so we can see what the face behind the spaceship looks like

billt 
Posted on 27-Feb-2005 7:00:51
#5 ]
Elite Member

@Sbaitso

Any details? I seem to have missed any announcements about it...

Ryu 
Posted on 27-Feb-2005 9:57:25
#6 ]

If someone where to give me the £500 it would cost me to attend I would be there in a heartbeat.

www.IntuitionBase.com - Your Guide to Amiga OS4.x and the AmigaOne
www.Bambi-Amiga.co.uk - My A1200 webserver, running 24/7/365

The_Editor 
Posted on 27-Feb-2005 10:17:14
#7 ]
Elite Member

@Ryu

You & me both.

herewegoagain 
Posted on 27-Feb-2005 12:43:16
#8 ]
Elite Member

@billt

Quote:

billt wrote:
@Sbaitso

http://www.mrhardwarecomputers.com/pages/aeprinfo.htm

Last edited by Herewegoagain on 27-Feb-2005 at 12:44 PM.

DiscreetFX 
Posted on 27-Feb-2005 15:33:04
#9 ]
Elite Member

@Sbaitso

Andy & I will be there if we are not out of the country on vacation.

cecilia 
Posted on 27-Feb-2005 16:16:05
#10 ]
Cult Member

Quote:

Theodosius wrote:
@cecilia

Man! You gotta tell us what projects you had gotten into post-Amiga purchase! I've been dying to know.

you mean, what have I worked on?
I've done a bunch of things. some of which are video projects with a fellow who knew Kara (who recently passed away last dec)

and once i got involved with Frank and Tony, we did work on a bunch of bad films - I think one had Anna Nicole Smith and I did one effects shot for it. at the end of the movie, a guy falls off the hoover dam. they filmed the actor lying on an apple box waving his arms and legs. on the floor was a green sheet so I could "pull a matte". I put the frames on a flat polygon in lightwave (this was on an amiga). then I composited that on top of a still of the dam as seen looking over the edge. I scaled the polygon smaller over the length of the shot and it looked as if the guy "fell off" and disappeared into the water. very silly stuff.
but that is my only "connection" with Anna Nicole Smith.

I'm sure you are all excited!

anyway, from the rediculous to the sublime:

after doing a bunch of "stupid" nonsense, eventually Frank was able to get "From the Earth to the Moon".
I use a frame of one of my shots from that as my AV.

This was a 12 part series for HBO. it got 17 Emmy nominations. (including a special effects nomination for one of the 2 episodes we worked on).
It's about the apollo project and it's basically one of best things I've ever done. I'm VERY proud of that. I can still watch that series and some of the episode still make me weep. It's THAT good.

I worked on Frank Herbert's DUNE (sci fi channel) - that got a few Emmy's including a Special Effects Emmy.
Then we worked on Children of Dune - also got a Special Effects Emmy.

We did have an amiga 4000 that was used while we worked on "From the Earth to the Moon". It was used mostly to compile the animatics using DCTV onto tape. for those that doen't know, an "animatic" is a animated storyboard. this is useful because the final animation will be rendered (in this case using lightwave) and the motion is what needs to be examined. they take these tests and "drop" them in live footage as they do test editing.

by this time the amiga was too "slow" to be used for much rendering so the tests were rendered on a pc, the files taken over to the 4000 and compiled via DCTV. I did use that 4000 to do simple things like rename and renumber a list of frames because such things are harder to do an a pc.

Anyway, by the time we worked on the Dune stuff there were no more amigas around - but my method of working comes from my experience with amigas.

Quote:
Oh, and I agree with Plax, take some piccies of the show... but also one or two of you so we can see what the face behind the spaceship looks like

have digital camera, will travel!
no guarentee that i will be in any of these pics, but i'll do the best i can!

Last edited by cecilia on 27-Feb-2005 at 04:21 PM.

Sbaitso 
Posted on 27-Feb-2005 19:10:43
#11 ]

Quote:

Yikes! This is something that I was afraid of and was one of the reasons I started the thread. Is there anyone out there who is involved with the planning and organization of the show that might be able to give us a bit of a status update on how ticket sales are progressing, etc.

@AWStaff

I'm not sure what the policy is, but I was wondering if AW.net generally displays banner links for Amiga related shows or if it is considered a conflict with the paid advertisers.

swoodall 
Posted on 15-Mar-2005 20:11:54
#12 ]

@Sbaitso

I'm attending, but I didn't get any updated numbers of registrations. It sounds like a good appearance by companies and sponsors, but I bet there are a lot of individuals waiting until the last minute to sign up. Come on user groups, lets have some more registrations! Ours is the only usergroup outside of NYC to even get a table so far. Aren't there still active groups in Boston, Chicago, Atlanta, Tampa? The weather up north should be a lot better in late May than it is in early March.

It will be a shame if attendance is low enough to not seem a success considering the really low prices Russ is charging for the event itself. If folks can't afford the travel costs alone, there probably isn't enough density of users anywhere else on the east coast to make a show like this work, and that would be a sad statement.

Scott Woodall

Russ 
Posted on 15-Mar-2005 20:49:09
#13 ]

@Sbaitso

OK, some more info. I happens to be the 20th Anniversary of the Amiga. Hey, this could be your last chance on the East Coast to experience an Amiga Show. Future shows will depend on the Vendors and people that attend. This is your chance on the East Coast to show you support your favorite computer. New York in the Spring is a Great vacation stop also.
We have about 14 pages dedicated to AmigaEast starting here.
http://www.mrhardwarecomputers.com/pages/aeprinfo.htm
Ordering tickets online is available here.
https://telesto.safe-orders.net/mrhardwarecomputers/pages/aeorder.htm
I need to make another large payment to the hotel soon so early Vendor payments and early ticket ordering are Very important.
People have beenordering tickets as far away as Germany.
All the major companies will be represented.
No charge on any of the Demo/Classes at the show also.
We will be broadcasting live at the show.
The Banquet will only hold 100 people and tickets to this will not be available the day of the show. You must order early and there are limited tickets.
There are great oppertunities to hang out with the real developers and other parties/dinners are in the works. We should have new PPC accelertors to be shown off and SBase should be available by then also. So this is kinda Put Up or Shut UP time for the East Coast. Let your favorite Amiga Companies know that you expect to see them there. 20th Anniversary for Amiga.

Last edited by Russ on 15-Mar-2005 at 08:51 PM.

[email]sales@mrhardwarec

LordArt 
Posted on 15-Mar-2005 21:03:02
#14 ]

I intend to go with a freind of mine. Perhaps I'll be able to show what I've been working on, but that will depend on a lot of things.

Like Sbaitso, I'm just happy there is an Amiga show nearby.

dauber 
Posted on 15-Mar-2005 22:14:47
#15 ]

@Sbaitso

I'll be going, but probably just for Saturday. I've been an Amiga user for 12 years, but never went to a show.

Anybody know the best way to get there from the Jersey shore? I'll probably be taking the Turnpike to the GW Bridge...what's the best way to go from that point?

swoodall 
Posted on 16-Mar-2005 0:40:28
#16 ]

@dauber

The more the merrier. As seen in the directions...

From Northern New Jersey

* New Jersey Turnpike to exit 18
* Follow signs to the George Washington Bridge (stay in local lanes)
* Proceed across the bridge (lower level), look for signs to I-87
* Take I-87 South (Major Deegan Expressway) to Triborough Bridge
* Proceed across Triborough Bridge onto Grand Central Parkway. Take exit 6 (94th Street)
* Get onto the RIGHT LANE and turn RIGHT onto 94th Street
* At the next light turn RIGHT onto 23rd Avenue
* Two blocks down turn RIGHT onto 90th Street
* The hotel is on the right-hand side.

Scott Woodall

kgrach 
Posted on 16-Mar-2005 1:56:32
#17 ]
Cult Member

@Sbaitso

I will be there

kgrach

cecilia 
Posted on 16-Mar-2005 2:40:46
#18 ]
Cult Member

@LordArt

Quote:

LordArt wrote:
I intend to go with a freind of mine. Perhaps I'll be able to show what I've been working on, but that will depend on a lot of things.

Like Sbaitso, I'm just happy there is an Amiga show nearby.
well, maybe we need to talk about that and make sure it happens. i am doing the IFX thingy (at least) and you and everyone who wants to participate by showing something should probabaly contact someone. like maybe me (oh, god! did i just volunteer?????)

STRICQ 
Posted on 16-Mar-2005 3:16:32
#19 ]

@Sbaitso

I just bought my 2 day ticket plus the banquet.

SII0680 PATA133
Audigy 2
3Com 100Mb PCI Card

Russ 
Posted on 16-Mar-2005 22:20:07
#20 ]

@STRICQ

I'll provide the Frozen Margaritas on Sunday. I think I know the restaruant.

[email]sales@mrhardwarec

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle