Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
7 crawler(s) on-line.
 115 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 OlafS25:  6 mins ago
 AMIGASYSTEM:  9 mins ago
 MichaelMerkel:  23 mins ago
 Matt3k:  23 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  29 mins ago
 pixie:  1 hr 2 mins ago
 Hypex:  1 hr 3 mins ago
 VooDoo:  1 hr 13 mins ago
 pavlor:  1 hr 19 mins ago
 matthey:  1 hr 28 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Free For All
      /  Carl Sassenrath & RJ Michal create new Amiga compatible Computer & OS!
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
MikeB 
Re: Carl Sassenrath & RJ Michal create new Amiga compatible Computer & OS!
Posted on 10-May-2005 20:23:06
#21 ]
Elite Member

@nicholas

Quote:
Quick, someone get Mike a "I heart MorphOS" hat!

I certainly do like the basic Amiga-like (compact, efficient, responsive, open structure, flexible general design / approach, highly modular, etc) approach of the ABox better than I like Microsoft's Win32 approach. Though personally I do prefer the AmigaOS4 project due to various reasons.

Profile     Report this post  
nicholas 
Posted on 10-May-2005 20:24:05
#22 ]

@MikeB

Quote:

MikeB wrote:
@nicholas

Quote:
Quick, someone get Mike a "I heart MorphOS" hat!

I certainly do like the basic Amiga-like (compact, efficient, responsive, open structure, flexible general design / approach, highly modular, etc) approach of the ABox better than I like Microsoft's Win32 approach. Though personally I do prefer the AmigaOS4 project due to various reasons.

You mean WoW?

MikeB 
Posted on 10-May-2005 20:28:42
#23 ]
Elite Member

@itix

Quote:
Well, 3DO is quite interesting since it has an operating system that is according to RJ Mical "AmigaOS done right". I couldnt find more details about 3DO but could be interesting to know what kind of bits it had. As it seems he was very proud of it.

Hhhm, probably he was referring to protection. Classic Exec was greatly lacking in this regard and IMO the steps Hyperion are taking with ExecSG are very important for AmigaOS' long term future viability.

A bit more about the OS:

Quote:
The 3DO OS is a fully-featured 32-bit multitasking operating system written specifically for the 3DO by NTG. Developers *must* use the OS for a variety of reasons, the main one being to maintain compatibility with all 3DO consoles and future next generation 3DO consoles. The OS is loaded from an application's CD when the system starts up, and is not in the consoles ROM. Contrary to rumors, there is no way to bypass the OS and "hack" directly on the hardware.

The 3DO OS consists of two parts:
A multitasking kernel with drivers for peripherals, a complete file system, and support for physical storage.
Several software "folios" that provide a link between application software and the 3DO hardware, and are designed to allow software compatibility as new versions of the hardware are developed. The following six subsystems make up the entire "Portfolio" of 3DO OS system calls:
The Decompression Folio: supports software and hardware decompression of audio and video data.
The Math Folio: performs many of the high level calculations.
The Graphics Folio: provides access to the 3DO's cel and display subsystems for doing graphics effects and animation. The effects include warping, transparency, lighting effects, anti-aliasing, and texture mapping.
The 3-D Folio: system code for creating 3-D effects and doing complex calculations.
The Audio Folio: supports the creation and manipulation of sound effects and music. This includes proprietary algorithms called "3D audio imaging" that create the illusion of sound coming not only from the left and right, but front and back (when wearing headphones). These algorithms can also produce Doppler effects and reverberations.
The File System Folio: manages the file system.

nicholas 
Posted on 10-May-2005 20:43:19
#24 ]

@MikeB

Quote:

MikeB wrote:
@itix

Quote:
Well, 3DO is quite interesting since it has an operating system that is according to RJ Mical "AmigaOS done right". I couldnt find more details about 3DO but could be interesting to know what kind of bits it had. As it seems he was very proud of it.

Hhhm, probably he was referring to protection. Classic Exec was greatly lacking in this regard and IMO the steps Hyperion are taking with ExecSG are very important for AmigaOS' long term future viability.

A bit more about the OS:

Quote:
The 3DO OS is a fully-featured 32-bit multitasking operating system written specifically for the 3DO by NTG. Developers *must* use the OS for a variety of reasons, the main one being to maintain compatibility with all 3DO consoles and future next generation 3DO consoles. The OS is loaded from an application's CD when the system starts up, and is not in the consoles ROM. Contrary to rumors, there is no way to bypass the OS and "hack" directly on the hardware.

The 3DO OS consists of two parts:
A multitasking kernel with drivers for peripherals, a complete file system, and support for physical storage.
Several software "folios" that provide a link between application software and the 3DO hardware, and are designed to allow software compatibility as new versions of the hardware are developed. The following six subsystems make up the entire "Portfolio" of 3DO OS system calls:
The Decompression Folio: supports software and hardware decompression of audio and video data.
The Math Folio: performs many of the high level calculations.
The Graphics Folio: provides access to the 3DO's cel and display subsystems for doing graphics effects and animation. The effects include warping, transparency, lighting effects, anti-aliasing, and texture mapping.
The 3-D Folio: system code for creating 3-D effects and doing complex calculations.
The Audio Folio: supports the creation and manipulation of sound effects and music. This includes proprietary algorithms called "3D audio imaging" that create the illusion of sound coming not only from the left and right, but front and back (when wearing headphones). These algorithms can also produce Doppler effects and reverberations.
The File System Folio: manages the file system.

My lord, it's like reading about the Amiga in it's early days.

Why do all the good ones die young?

A3000T 
Posted on 10-May-2005 20:58:59
#25 ]
Cult Member

@nicholas

> Now that I have your attention, if they did create such a thing they
> obviously couldn't call it an Amiga as Amiga Inc own the name, but who
> would say it was an Amiga?
>
> I know I would.

I wouldn't. The first thing I thought when I red the title was "Oh no, not another clone system".

A clone system is not neccesarily a bad thing, but having a bunch of clones now would be bad timing. The Amiga market can't sustain that right now.

Kind regards,

Dennis

nicholas 
Posted on 10-May-2005 21:00:20
#26 ]

@A3000T

Quote:

A3000T wrote:
@nicholas

> Now that I have your attention, if they did create such a thing they
> obviously couldn't call it an Amiga as Amiga Inc own the name, but who
> would say it was an Amiga?
>
> I know I would.

I wouldn't. The first thing I thought when I red the title was "Oh no, not another clone system".

A clone system is not neccesarily a bad thing, but having a bunch of clones now would be bad timing. The Amiga market can't sustain that right now.

Kind regards,

Dennis

Competition is always good. Anyone who is scared of competition shouldn't be in the race to start with.

wegster 
Posted on 10-May-2005 21:46:52
#27 ]
Elite Member

@nicholas

Quote:
Competition is always good. Anyone who is scared of competition shouldn't be in the race to start with.

Good short term for the consumer isn't the same as long term longevity and survival, however.

Competition in markets can certainly drop prices, and it can also produce new, 'better' features...but it can also bankrupt all involved or make them leave the market once margins become unsustainable.

nicholas 
Posted on 10-May-2005 21:49:32
#28 ]

@wegster

Quote:

wegster wrote:
@nicholas

Quote:

Good short term for the consumer isn't the same as long term longevity and survival, however.

Competition in markets can certainly drop prices, and it can also produce new, 'better' features...but it can also bankrupt all involved or make them leave the market once margins become unsustainable.

Only the strogest will survive as they say.

If youcan't stand the heat get out of the kitchen, is another cliche that would apply here too.

nicholas 
3DO (Was Carl Sassenrath & RJ Michal create new Amiga compatible Computer & OS!)
Posted on 12-May-2005 23:29:12
#29 ]

@nicholas

Quote:

nicholas wrote:
@itix

Quote:

itix wrote:
@HammerD

Have a look here.

http://www.classicgaming.com/gamingmuseum/3do.html

The 3do machines are fantastic. Even today the games look amazing.

/me runs to ebay to find a Goldstar one.

I've just won me an FZ-1 and shed loads of games on ebay.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8191542298

Can't wait to play Road Rash, Super Street Fighter II, and Dragons Lair again.

MEGA_RJ_MICAL 
Posted on 28-Aug-2022 2:34:35
#30 ]
From: AMIGAWORLD.NET WAS ORIGINALLY FOUNDED BY DAVID DOYLE

Interesting concept, long gone friend.

I'll think about it.

/MRJM

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle