Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
12 crawler(s) on-line.
 101 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 amigakit:  23 mins ago
 MarcioD:  46 mins ago
 Hammer:  54 mins ago
 kolla:  54 mins ago
 matthey:  1 hr 1 min ago
 NancyNash:  1 hr 15 mins ago
 agami:  1 hr 45 mins ago
 Hypex:  2 hrs 2 mins ago
 Karlos:  2 hrs 4 mins ago
 Musashi5150:  2 hrs 10 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4.x \ Workbench 4.x
      /  Correct way to use AMISSL3 and AMISSL2 together on OS4
Register To Post

PosterThread
deakmann 
Correct way to use AMISSL3 and AMISSL2 together on OS4
Posted on 29-Apr-2006 18:29:17
#1 ]

Hi,

I have assigned AMISSL3 and it works ok with Aweb, of course this then stops
AMISSL2 working with Ibrowse, is it ok just to change the old assign for
version2 to point to a drawer called AMISSL2? ie- net:ibrowse/amissl2.

Initial tests seem ok but just wondered if this was going to cause all sorts
of problems? As I understand it the amissl2 certs can be moved into the version3
drawers.

Cheers

Andy

Profile     Report this post  
antony 
Re: Correct way to use AMISSL3 and AMISSL2 together on OS4
Posted on 1-May-2006 14:15:32
#2 ]

Edit: For those with OS4 update 4 systems and multiple AmiSSL installations who find this method confusing, see message number ten below. For additional explanation on the steps involved in the method described in this message (number two), see ggw's message number nine below.

@deakmann

I have just uploaded modified installation archives for AmiSSL v1 and v2 to the AmiSSL homepage. Only the installer scripts have been changed. The changes have effect only when installing on an OS4 system so 68k-only users need not download these archives.

The following are instructions for arranging files inside existing AmiSSL v1 and v2 installations on an OS4 update 4 system. As mentioned, AmiSSL v1 and v2 installers have been modified to install the files so that no modifications are necessary afterwards, but the first, third and the last step may be necessary.

- Add "Assign AmiSSL: Devs:AmiSSL" line to S:Startup-Sequence (for example above the "IF EXISTS S:User-Startup" line). Unfortunately, I forgot to tell Hans-Jörg that this is necessary for update 4.

- Open S:User-Startup and note the directory to which AmiSSL: was previously assigned. This directory will be referred to as Prev: in the following text. If AmiSSL v1 and AmiSSL v2 were installed into different directories, Prev: refers to both of them.

- Remove all references to AmiSSL in S:User-Startup. This should normally be everything between ";BEGIN AmiSSL" and ";END AmiSSL", including those two lines.

- Move the contents of Prev:Libs/AmiSSL to SYS:Libs/AmiSSL. Note: another directory can be used instead of SYS:Libs. That directory must be a part of Libs: assign and all paths that mention SYS:Libs as a destination in the following items should have the appropriate part of the path replaced with a reference to that directory.

- Remove Prev:Libs/amisslmaster.library, if it's there. It will not have been used after update 4 was installed because OS4 includes a newer version in SYS:Libs.

- Move amissl.library and the #?.l.main files from Prev:Libs to SYS:Libs. These files are there only if you have AmiSSL v1 installed.

- If Prev: was not pointing to Devs:AmiSSL but to some other directory: Remove Prev:Certs since Devs:AmiSSL has those. If there is anything in Prev:Private and Prev:UserCerts, move it to the matching directories in Devs:AmiSSL.

- The following files which might be present in Prev: are leftovers from an old AmiSSL v1 installation and can safely be removed: amissl.cnf, CA.pl, README and server.pem.

- Prev: should now contain only (series of) empty directories. You might also have the AmiSSL command line tool installed. At this point, it is only useful for diagnostics purposes for AmiSSL v1 since AmiSSL v3 includes the OpenSSL command line tool, which is newer and more advanced. Thus you can either remove the AmiSSL command line tool or move it to some other directory (such as C: or some other directory in the path). It might not be possible to remove the Prev: directory before a reboot is done.

- Reboot.

Last edited by antony on 30-Nov-2006 at 11:58 AM.

deakmann 
Posted on 1-May-2006 14:50:15
#3 ]

@antony

Thank you , i`ve used the new installer and all is working well. It did seem to
be working ok having 2 seperate installs with different assigns, but I guess
it`s better to have it installed correctly just in case this causes any
unforeseen problems.

Cheers

Andy

painter 
Posted on 1-May-2006 18:03:19
#4 ]
Cult Member

@antony

That is totally incomprehensible. I copied my Amissl install from backup to OS4
update 4 and then I just made a copy of my amissl version 2
user-startup lines and changed the assigns to point to amissl 3. Then in the
original user-startup lines changed Amissl to Amissl2 and changed the directory
with Amissl ver 2 in it to Amissl2.
Amissl works fine now with both Aweb and Ibrowse.

cope 
Posted on 27-Nov-2006 2:31:46
#5 ]
Cult Member

This is all very confusing to me. Is there an installer in the works? I am trying to get Gmail working with Simplemail.
John Paul

antony 
Posted on 27-Nov-2006 22:50:39
#6 ]

@cope

Quote:
This is all very confusing to me. Is there an installer in the works? I am trying to get Gmail working with Simplemail.

What AmiSSL version(s) and which OS4 update do you currently have installed?

COBRA 
Posted on 27-Nov-2006 23:43:33
#7 ]

@cope

Gmail won't work with SimpleMail, I had could only get it working with YAM. YAM 2.4 needed AmiSSL v1. I have installed AmiSSL v1, v2 and v3 and they all seem to work. I don't remember changing any assigns/whatever, I just installed them with the installer. But I think the order in which you install them is important, otherwise one can overwrite stuff of the other. Don't ask me what the correct order is though :)

cope 
Posted on 28-Nov-2006 1:26:49
#8 ]
Cult Member

@antony

I have update four installed.

Gmail does work for some with Simplemail.

SSL is still working with Ibrowse for banking inspite of my messing around.

John Paul

ggw 
Posted on 29-Nov-2006 4:02:39
#9 ]

@cope

----- orig msg -----
John Paul
--------------------

My first reading left me with the same feeling. However, I followed the instructions carefully. As I went through them it seemed quite natural... no sneaky things. And I finished in about 10 minutes.

I was unaware of any AmiSSL issues so I was cautious.
#1) > list sys:dev/amissl
amissl_v097g.library

Sure enough I have library to which Mr. Antonijevic refers

#2) > search s:#?start#? search ssl
several lines from user-startup
;BEGIN AmiSSL
assign AmiSSL: "Work1:Apps/AmiSSL"
if exists AmiSSL:Libs
assign ADD LIBS: AmiSSL:Libs
endif
;END AmiSSL
and none from startup-sequence

Sure looks like I have the problem that this is all about!
> list all work1:Apps/AmiSSL
Loads of files, but all from version 2, and none from version 1.

#3) > (favorite editor) S:User-Startup

So I could stare at what I was going to remove
My .... PREV: .... is Work1:Apps/AmiSSL

#4) > (favorite editor) S:Startup-Sequence
And I added the "ASSIGN AmiSSL: SYS:Devs/AmiSSL" as he said to.
I close this editor.

#5) > xcopy work1:Apps/AmiSSL/Libs/#? SYS:Libs/AmiSSL/

Then, since I know I have backups...
> delete work1:Apps/AmiSSL/Libs/#?

#6) > delete work1:Apps/AmiSSL/Libs/amisslmaster.library
As per instructed

#7) My PREV: does NOT point to "Devs:AmiSSL" so I follow instructions
> delete all work1:Apps/AmiSSL/Certs

#8) > list all work1:Apps/AmiSSL
Indeed, nothing but empty directories, just as he said.

#9) NOW in the editor with User-Startup, I delete all lines referring
to AmiSSL and close the editor.

Close browser. Reboot.
#10) > delete all work1:Apps/AmiSSL

Fini!

..effects of civilization upon...nature, the growing gap between what education was supposed to accomplish and what it consisted of, the national debt and...high taxes, the problem of the excess cost of medical care -- Philip Wylie, 1951

antony 
Posted on 30-Nov-2006 11:55:49
#10 ]

@cope

You haven't answered which AmiSSL versions you have installed, but since you have update 4 you have AmiSSL v3. Since you say SSL with IBrowse is still working, you also have AmiSSL v2. SimpleMail needs AmiSSL v1 which you either don't have installed or don't have installed correctly (which is not very probable) or have installed correctly and you only need to configure SimpleMail properly.

My message above that many people find confusing was not (as silly as that may seem) meant to be understood. It was simply a series of steps necessary to perform to get it to work, I didn't have the time for anything else. As ggw wrote, it is not that complicated once you try to get through it.

Here is a simpler method which will work properly in 99.99% cases (ie. it may not give the same results only if certificates were added by the user which is improbable). Its purpose is to remove everything but AmiSSL v3 and use the updated installer(s) from the AmiSSL homepage to install the other (two) version(s) properly.

If someone only has AmiSSL v3 installed (on an OS4 update 4 system) and wants to install the other version(s), nothing needs to be removed, only the assign to S:Startup-Sequence needs to be added before installing other AmiSSL versions (as far as I remember, I made the installer report this in case the assign is not present).

- Remove everything related to AmiSSL in the User-startup. This will most likely be between ";BEGIN AmiSSL" and ";END AmiSSL" lines, inclusive. Lets say that the AmiSSL assign that was just removed pointed to Drive:AmiSSL2. Reboot.

- Unless you had AmiSSL installed somewhere on SYS:, remove the whole Drive:AmiSSL2 directory. If you also had AmiSSL v1 installed in f. ex. Drive:AmiSSL1, remove that too.

- If you had AmiSSL installed somewhere on SYS:, make sure that the following files/directories are not deleted: Devs:AmiSSL directory and everything inside it, LIBS:amisslmaster.library v3.x and LIBS:AmiSSL/amissl_v097g.library.

- If you had AmiSSL v1 installed, remove amissl.l.main, blowfish.l.main, cast.l.main, des.l.main, idea.l.main, md2.l.main, md5.l.main, mdc2.l.main, rc2.l.main, rc4.l.main, rc5.l.main, ripemd.l.main, sha.l.main from LIBS: (this is not really required since the installer will put them back there anyway).

- Add "Assign AmiSSL: Devs:AmiSSL" line to S:Startup-Sequence (for example above the "IF EXISTS S:User-Startup" line) if it's not already there.

- Reboot.

- Use the installer(s) from AmiSSL homepage to install AmiSSL v1 and/or AmiSSL v2.

As for configuring SimpleMail, this thread seems to have the necessary information http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?p=224621 (messages 2 and 3).

cope 
Posted on 1-Dec-2006 15:50:07
#11 ]
Cult Member

@antony

I tried the reinstall method you outlined and I still get Simplemail Guruing at amissl.library version 1.1

Any ideas?

JOhn Paul

antony 
Posted on 1-Dec-2006 22:06:47
#12 ]

@cope

Quote:
I tried the reinstall method you outlined and I still get Simplemail Guruing at amissl.library version 1.1

Any ideas?

It actually crashes? Can you provide a crashlog?

There is a tool which comes with AmiSSL v1 named AmiSSL. If you chose not to install it, you can find it in either in the base or full AmiSSL archive. Please tell me what do you get when you try the following two commands:

Full:Path/AmiSSL version
Full:Path/AmiSSL ciphers

(of course, replace Full:Path with the appropriate path or omit it completely if the AmiSSL tool is in the system path).

Also, are you using the PPC version of SimpleMail?

ZeroG 
Posted on 1-Dec-2006 23:28:30
#13 ]
Cult Member

@cope

Maybe it is the Simplemail version?
Are you using version 0.29 from http://www.simplemail.de.vu ?
On os4depot is only 0.27.

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle