Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
28 crawler(s) on-line.
 87 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 VooDoo:  10 mins ago
 outlawal2:  10 mins ago
 kiFla:  37 mins ago
 retrofaza:  39 mins ago
 matthey:  44 mins ago
 AmigaOldskooler:  48 mins ago
 Rob:  1 hr 1 min ago
 BigD:  1 hr 2 mins ago
 pavlor:  1 hr 9 mins ago
 Hypex:  1 hr 38 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  Is Genesi still intrested in Amiga market?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 Next Page )
PosterThread
gary_c 
Re: Is Genesi still intrested in Amiga market?
Posted on 8-May-2006 2:36:15
#61 ]
Cult Member

@opi
Quote:
To be honest, I don't recall how this court case ended? Was AI ordered to port AmigaDEad to Pegasos or not?

Yes, in the end Amiga, Inc. was ordered to comply with their original contract to provide a port of AmigaDE to Genesi products, including the Pegasos.

(The judge clarified his ruling in response to Genesi's attempt to have AmigaOS included in the judgement, denying Genesi's request -- so only AmigaDE was subject to the ruling. Also there was no time period or other condition for action by Genesi stated, contrary to what Garry Hare said about "we don't have to do the port because Genesi didn't reply to us in 30 days" or whatever his words were. It seems unlikely that Washington state has such a requirement; in any case the judge didn't specify it and no one else cited a reference, so presumably the judge's order still stands.)

Copies of the court documents are available at Sammy "Samface" Nordström's Mindrelease web site (http://www.mindrelease.net/amiga-thendic/) if anyone wants to take a walk through history. (The site wasn't available when I just checked; I hope that's temporary.)

Like most people have said, there's no point in dredging this up again. AmigaDE is pretty worthless, Amiga, Inc. is as close to dead as a company can be, and it seems Genesi would have little to gain by bringing this up again. I imagine the blog post about Amiga, Inc.'s old roadmap was just for a little "light reading" at the blog, nothing more than that. There's some similarity between that road map and what Genesi would like to see, in the sense of promoting PC alternatives -- maybe that's the reason for the post.

-- gary_c

Profile     Report this post  
herewegoagain 
Posted on 8-May-2006 2:39:42
#62 ]
Elite Member

@Atheist

Quote:
Unless the people that own Amiga Inc. are insane, they wouldn't turn down a genuine offer to get AOS4.x to run on new HW.

They are... and they already have.... several times.

Quote:
The key word is genuine.

Your definition of genuine and others may differ. I've seen at least two genuine (from my point) attempts to get OS4 running on other boards that Amiga have pissed away.

Quote:
They can't accept any deal where AOS4.x is optional to the HW being sold to the end user.

Say what?! Why not? A licensed copy sold is a licensed copy sold. It would be suicide for any company to refuse business except under "exclusive rights". Who cares if they sell 10000 users a board with Linux and only a 1000 of those purchase OS4? That is still 1000 more OS4 users than we have now.

Quote:
They have at least 3 million $ to recover before they make any profit at all, and that's since Dec. 31, 1999.

Oh come on! Have you been looking at Amiga Inc's books? How can you even seriously make that statement? What do you base those amounts on?

Quote:
Less and less people can deal with that because no new HW is available, but it's plainly obvious now that it takes alot more than $3 mil. to get a computer off the ground. THAT was their mistake. But they didn't have more than that, and couldn't find anybody else willing to come up with the rest, however much that may be. (Alan Redhouse did the best he could.)

Once again, I don't know how you get at your $3 million dollar figure, but that's irrelivent. Btw, incase you haven't noticed, Alan is not the only one who produced hardware. There are plenty of other PPC hardware available. Amiga Inc. just seem to simply not care. They would rather chase their Windows game market, which in itself would not be bad, if they at least supported the OS4 market as well. THAT was their mistake.

Doobrey 
Posted on 8-May-2006 2:54:21
#63 ]

Quote:

Atheist wrote:

They can't accept any deal where AOS4.x is optional to the HW being sold to the end user.

Why not, didn't they already do that with Eyetech?
IIRC Alan had plans for selling A1's with linux in the far east, I'm pretty sure there's a post from him somewhere saying he planned to sell them without OS4 for $100 less..or words to that effect.

If Amiga Inc are sitting there waiting for someone to mass produce exclusive hardware then they're in for a long wait, the current market is just too small for it to happen.
If/when that market grows then they can demand all they like, but right now OS4 needs hardware more than the hardware needs OS4

Anonymous 
Posted on 8-May-2006 3:08:50
# ]

Quote:
Herewegoagain wrote:

@Atheist

Quote:
Unless the people that own Amiga Inc. are insane, they wouldn't turn down a genuine offer to get AOS4.x to run on new HW.

They are... and they already have.... several times.

Hi Herewegoagain,

I hope you aren't including Acill's joke of an offer here.

Quote:
Quote:
The key word is genuine.

Your definition of genuine and others may differ. I've seen at least two genuine (from my point) attempts to get OS4 running on other boards that Amiga have pissed away.

See above.

Quote:
Quote:

Say what?! Why not? A licensed copy sold is a licensed copy sold. It would be suicide for any company to refuse business except under "exclusive rights". Who cares if they sell 10000 users a board with Linux and only a 1000 of those purchase OS4? That is still 1000 more OS4 users than we have now.

They obviously see allowing HW to exist to NOT be using their OS but COULD be as a bigger threat than not doing anything at all, as they are now.

Quote:
Quote:
They have at least 3 million $ to recover before they make any profit at all, and that's since Dec. 31, 1999.

Oh come on! Have you been looking at Amiga Inc's books? How can you even seriously make that statement? What do you base those amounts on?

I base that on, I thought that they originally paid $5 mil. to Gateway for AOS IP, but it seems to have shrunk to a common acceptance that it was probably $3 mil. but no one really knows, do they?

Whatever it is, they want to recover that and make a profit.

They must know that they can't do it in the intial stage of making a deal, it can only be made back over time, but any deal which is crap will definitely be rejected.

bbrv wanted to pay $4.50 US per copy for it, and ONLY if AOS4.x was requested as an upgrade to a peg at time of purchase. Some offer, huh? (I hope that's not the other one.)

Quote:
Quote:
Less and less people can deal with that because no new HW is available, but it's plainly obvious now that it takes alot more than $3 mil. to get a computer off the ground. THAT was their mistake. But they didn't have more than that, and couldn't find anybody else willing to come up with the rest, however much that may be. (Alan Redhouse did the best he could.)

Once again, I don't know how you get at your $3 million dollar figure, but that's irrelivent. Btw, incase you haven't noticed, Alan is not the only one who produced hardware. There are plenty of other PPC hardware available. Amiga Inc. just seem to simply not care. They would rather chase their Windows game market, which in itself would not be bad, if they at least supported the OS4 market as well. THAT was their mistake.

Ahhhhh, it's probably true that they're operatiing on gas fumes at this point, and truthfully, they probably never had enough cash to put out 2 or 3 thousand boards to get the price low enough so that grudgingly we'd still buy them.

They were hoping someone would come along and be the other half of the equation.

Report this post  
Darth_X 
Posted on 8-May-2006 3:09:45
#65 ]
Elite Member

The only A1/OS4 hater I see here is the guy hijacking this thread with his 'common sense'.

Some people must have missed this article
ARSTechinca's Jeremy Reimer wrote about it

WIRED wrote about it
Anyone who has more time on their hand can probably find more references to this.

Did BBRV read this book?

Last edited by Darth_X on 08-May-2006 at 03:30 AM.

Darth_X 
Posted on 8-May-2006 3:39:35
#66 ]
Elite Member

= To anyone who restarts this red/blue war! Including you!

Kronos 
Posted on 8-May-2006 4:28:27
#67 ]
Elite Member

@Atheist

It doesn't matter how much Amino paid for the name 6 years ago, even if it had been 6 billion $.

At the moment the company has a negative value (if you include all the debts) and an income about the size of your average 3rd-world shoe-shine-buisness, so any deal (and I mean ANY) that brings in real money shouldn't be refused if these guys had a single working braincell left.

billt 
Posted on 8-May-2006 4:43:34
#68 ]
Elite Member

@Atheist
Quote:

The key word is genuine.

There have been "genuine" attempts to get new hardware available. I don't know what your own defintion of "genuine" is, but mine is satisfied in that regard. What I'm not satisfied is the scale of genuineness of Amiga Inc's desire to do business with OS4.

Quote:

I don't think it'd make any difference if a hardware vendor offered to ship every single unit with an OS4 license. If it did make a difference, then some legitimate offers should have received a response to that effect instead of nothing at all. But such a requirement would make it quite unlikely to have successful hardware, and shouldn't be easily accepted by a hardware seller.

Samwel 
Posted on 8-May-2006 5:34:10
#69 ]
Elite Member

@Frags

Quote:

I ought not to name-call but it`s inflammatory stuff from Atheist in this thread. Maybe it`s not meant as such, in which case I apologise.

Hey don't appologise to me.. If Atheist doesn't have a problem with it then I don't either.

Yes, I agree about the inflammatory comments though.

@Atheist

Please drop out of this thread before you get banned again. It's just a matter of time before
you get really angry and say things you might regret later..

[SOLD] µA1-C - 750GX 800MHz - 512MB - Antec Aria case

Samwel 
Posted on 8-May-2006 5:38:47
#70 ]
Elite Member

@Darth_X

Quote:

The only A1/OS4 hater I see here is the guy hijacking this thread with his 'common sense'.

Who might that guy be?

Hmm I hope wegster stays out of this thread. We all know how he dislikes "common sense".

Last edited by Samwel on 08-May-2006 at 05:45 AM.

jahc 
Posted on 8-May-2006 5:41:24
#71 ]
Elite Member

@Samwel

Quote:
Hmm I hope wegster stays out of this thread. We all know how he dislikes 'common sense'.

I dont understand that comment. You're saying wegster dislikes common sense?

Samwel 
Posted on 8-May-2006 5:44:00
#72 ]
Elite Member

@jahc

hehe It was a joke..

Otherwise it would have been written without ' ' and a smiley at the end.

EDIT: Changes to " " in the previous post.

Last edited by Samwel on 08-May-2006 at 05:45 AM.

jahc 
Posted on 8-May-2006 5:47:20
#73 ]
Elite Member

@Samwel

Oh okay. I thought there was a deeper meaning there somewhere.

(Sucks when you have to explain your jokes eh!)

mr.calibra 
Posted on 8-May-2006 7:21:30
#74 ]

I tried to read the court documents but I can get find them at http://www.mindrelease.net/amiga-thendic/ so do they really exist?

BBRV and Genesi have proven that they are a stable supplier of quality hardware based on Freescales or IBM's powerpc chips. As far as I know Eyetech is not. Mai is not. Just dpaint drawings of the troika and no pictures from Ack. So Genesi has won the powerpc battle since apple left the scen.

Amiga INC is dead, Long live Amiga INC

Last edited by mr.calibra on 08-May-2006 at 07:21 AM.

freaks 
Posted on 8-May-2006 8:08:20
#75 ]

@thread

iirc, mos users now kind of dislike bbrv and genesi.
same goes for os4 users, who dislike ainc.

poor us, stuck with them..
but still, i begin to think genesi could help here better than ainc.

i prefer official announcements followed by unrespected timeline than what we have now: plain silence...

poor hyperion after all the efforts they did..they don't deserve this ..

maybe it's time to go pollute the new ainc brazilian partners?
denial of service, flooding amiga.com ?
i think if we get their website down, they will "notice" us again ;)
if we get in their way they cannot ignore us

opi 
Posted on 8-May-2006 8:16:42
#76 ]
Team Member

@freaks

Quote:
denial of service, flooding amiga.com ?
i think if we get their website down, they will "notice" us again ;)

They haven't noticed KMOS.com expiration date. Also, taking Amiga.com down is a way of helping AI. Noone will have to see this "profeshonal" webside of "the world’s premier provider of multimedia enabling technologies. For almost two decades its award-winning software has been a mainstay for motion picture studios, multimedia creators, and digital entertainment enthusiasts around the world."

Jokes aside, DDoSing is not a business way of doing things.

freaks 
Posted on 8-May-2006 8:50:07
#77 ]

@opi

lol right, their website is speaking for itself..
it's just that i wonder how to make them grant hyperion licences
for whatever hardware they want to port os4 to..
scumbags how dare they slow down amiga while calling themselves ainc ?

thinking of it, on one hand we have hardware with kind of halted OS (mos)
on other hand we have actively developped OS (os4) with no hardware ..
shame ..

well here's the 1000$ question: what can we do ?
i'm sure we can help, but how?
any ideas ?

(don't get me wrong, this is not another "os4 on x86 or pegasos" request.
i don't care which one but we need hardware for os4 ...and a good one ;)
well at least not too bad ..

AmigaBlitter 
Posted on 8-May-2006 9:05:39
#78 ]
Elite Member

@freaks

Quote:
poor hyperion after all the efforts they did..they don't deserve this ..

I hope you are really wrong about this....

gary_c 
Posted on 8-May-2006 9:11:38
#79 ]
Cult Member

@mr.calibra

Quote:
I tried to read the court documents but I can get find them at http://www.mindrelease.net/amiga-thendic/ so do they really exist?

Of course they exist. They are documents of public record that you can request from the State of Washington. Samface did us the favor of getting copies and putting them on his web site for us to download, which many people did. But the site seems to be down right now. I may have copies kicking around. Probably a lot of people do.

-- gary_c

Yabba 
Posted on 8-May-2006 9:39:50
#80 ]

@gary_c

Quote:
It seems unlikely that Washington state has such a requirement; in any case the judge didn't specify it and no one else cited a reference, so presumably the judge's order still stands.)

This was taken from the 30 days clause in the contract. Contracts usually include that so that company A wont ge sued by company B for not complying with the contract if company B has gone under the radar for a long time and all of a sudden claiming their right when company A has given up on trying to comply with the contract.
That is a way to make a contract 2 sided. No lawer would advise you to sign a contract which only grants 1 part all the rights but no obligations and this is a form of protection against that.

The judge ordered Amiga Inc to comply with the contract, the judge cannot order Amiga Inc to do an arbitrary thing. And if this is brought up again, he will most certainly look at the evidence if Genesi wasn't communicating and order the contract to be terminated in that case.

This has nothing to do with the Washington state, this is a civil case, not a criminal case.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle