Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
11 crawler(s) on-line.
 72 guest(s) on-line.
 2 member(s) on-line.

vox,  retrofaza

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 retrofaza:  1 min ago
 vox:  4 mins ago
 matthey:  1 hr 41 mins ago
 amigakit:  2 hrs 9 mins ago
 Maijestro:  2 hrs 21 mins ago
 Hypex:  2 hrs 22 mins ago
 fingus:  2 hrs 44 mins ago
 dirkzwager:  2 hrs 48 mins ago
 Karlos:  3 hrs 3 mins ago
 amigagr:  3 hrs 9 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Software
      /  AmigaOS4.1 OWB Development whilst we wait?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 Next Page )
PosterThread
Tomas 
Re: AmigaOS4.1 OWB Development whilst we wait?
Posted on 11-Dec-2010 19:42:42
#81 ]
Elite Member

@Fab

Quote:

Fab wrote:
@Tomppeli

No, it means Joerg made this confusion, not me.

OWB target is embedded devices, but as you can see, even the OS4 port got rid of SDL deps and started to be an actual desktop browser (the original OWB is really very very basic, just a plain viewer, basically). So why stop so soon? There's absolutely no valid the OS4 port of OWB shouldn't have a download manager or anything else, just because the original SDL version didn't. And it's really a shame to be limited by the GUI when the engine is so modern.

Of course, if he got bored/tired with OWB development, it's totally understandable, but he gave several other bad excuses instead.

Sounds like a weird thing to say considering he says this on his website:
Quote:
OWB for AmigaOS is a rapidly improving web browser based on Sand-Labs' Webkit implementation, that aims to provide modern web browsing experience for AmigaOS users. OWB is mainly targeted to AmigaOS4.1, but most of it works on AmigaOS 4.0 as well.

Would be weird to call it a modern web browser when it lacks such essential features as download manager or at least a progress bar.

Profile     Report this post  
PR 
Posted on 11-Dec-2010 19:57:09
#82 ]

@realize

Page One answer. Not seen any euros back but didn't loose all my money;)

Fab 
Posted on 11-Dec-2010 21:17:39
#83 ]

@Tomas

Not sure what you mean, but i meant the engine is modern and very compliant. The GUI is a totally different topic, depending on porter's work.

redfox 
Posted on 12-Dec-2010 2:44:05
#84 ]
Elite Member

@Fab

Thankyou for your replies, especially post #70.

Alot of people were asking Joerg to add features to the OS4 version of OWB. Some of those threads were quite long, so I may have missed your discussions with Joerg.

I have never experienced the MorphOS version of OWB. Now I understand why so many people were asking for more features. In my own case, I would have liked to see a download progress bar, but I did not expect to ever see a full featured desktop browser. I was happy enough with a browser that was actually being supported with regular updates and fixes.

I currently use OWB 3.30 and NetSurf.

Thanks again,
redfox

Last edited by redfox on 12-Dec-2010 at 03:04 AM.
Last edited by redfox on 12-Dec-2010 at 02:57 AM.
Last edited by redfox on 12-Dec-2010 at 02:54 AM.
Last edited by redfox on 12-Dec-2010 at 02:49 AM.

Trixie 
Posted on 12-Dec-2010 7:25:28
#85 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@Tomas

Quote:

Tomas wrote:
@Fab

Sounds like a weird thing to say considering he says this on his website:
Quote:
OWB for AmigaOS is a rapidly improving web browser based on Sand-Labs' Webkit implementation, that aims to provide modern web browsing experience for AmigaOS users. OWB is mainly targeted to AmigaOS4.1, but most of it works on AmigaOS 4.0 as well.

Would be weird to call it a modern web browser when it lacks such essential features as download manager or at least a progress bar.

I have observed the OWB threads quite closely. Apparently, Joerg contradicted himself by, on the one hand, mentioning the above on his website and, on the other, repeatedly saying that he was not going to implement any further functionality in his port of OWB. He would also suggest other people do that, but he never gave anyone access to his compile-ready sources to build upon. So there goes another contradiction.

So I'm with Fab on that.

AmigaOne X5000/020 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
SAM440ep-flex @ 667MHz / 1GB RAM / Radeon 9250 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition

Cool_amigaN 
Posted on 12-Dec-2010 10:04:43
#86 ]

@Tomppeli

Quote:

Tomppeli wrote:
@Fab

Quote:
Joerg's goal seem quite different: he thinks OWB/WebKit isn't worth more than an embedded device browser, and that it doesn't deserve any further development. That's why he didn't bother implementing much more than a web viewer with tabs, basically. In any case, I'm fairly certain the million WebKit users (including Safari/Chrome/whatever) don't share his opinion that WebKit is just an embedded device browser engine. :)

And that comment shows you don't understand the difference between a html engine and browser GUI around it.

And Origyn Web Browser (OWB) was originally designed and made for small devices (cell phones) by Sand-Labs.

Sure you are right but something can evolve over time and OWB for MOS is a prime example. Look at it on youtube videos, it's certainty way more mature than ours. IMHO, Joerg was wrong about it. I believe, that he must have thought about adding these features requested repeatedly by the users but perhaps he found that he had to spent equal time with the Timberwolf project and decided to go on something more complete. In the meantime, OWB for MOS is what we should really be using already in AOS and also I am afraid that Timberwolf won't be so speedy as OWB is right now (although rendering on some pages consumes 100% of my cpu), on many lower end SAMs (such as mine).

OWB, was the final and decisive reason for me (and I believe for others too), to jump again in ng AOS platform. Having a crippled or semi-working version isn't doing any good apart from basic web browsing because in 2010 (2011 eleven in some days), asking a developer, how big is the archive to download from his site, since you don't have a download manager is unacceptable.

Last edited by Cool_amigaN on 12-Dec-2010 at 10:08 AM.

kas1e 
Posted on 12-Dec-2010 10:15:11
#87 ]
Elite Member

@Fab

Maybe we can motivate you by bounty for making port of MOS-owb to aos4 ? Its not need to be reaction based, let's be just mui3.9 based (money can be collected not on amigabounty.net, but on power2people). Of course you not in high interest to port it to aos4, so maybe some money can motivate you a bit ? Maybe 1-2-3 thousands can be collected if you will in interest.

Or maybe you can help me to port it, i have all that crosscompiler setups, basic skills, but know nothing about MUI , etc. So if you will have time one IRC to help me with all stoopid and annoing questions, maybe that way can be good too (even for that help-work we also can collect something as well imho)

Last edited by kas1e on 12-Dec-2010 at 10:17 AM.

Cammy 
Posted on 12-Dec-2010 11:07:42
#88 ]

Has anyone tried compiling the Aros version of OWB for OS4 yet? Since Zune is currently around the same level as MUI3.9 there shouldn't be too much to worry about compared to trying to port Fab's MorphOS version. OWB for Aros is still far better than the OS4 version and at least has bookmarks and a download manager.

www.icarosdesktop.org
www.aros-broadway.de

zErec 
Posted on 12-Dec-2010 11:23:30
#89 ]
Cult Member

@samo79

Well a friend of me lives three roads
away from Joerg. He told me that Joerg
stopped developmet since there was nothing
new coming out (WEBKIT-Engine).

Maybe we can convince him with the good news
from Sand-Labs.

regards
z!Erec

- ATARI Falcon/060/SuperVidel // ATARI Falcon MK X

kas1e 
Posted on 12-Dec-2010 11:23:32
#90 ]
Elite Member

@Cammy

I tryed aros version, and owb on aos4 better because of rendering, stability and speed. Of course very possible that its problems of aros itself, not of port, but better to start just with mos OWB.

Right now i downloaded 1.9 sources of owb-mos , already cmake it, and right now starting to build, and fighting with all that includes problems, hope Fab can help with it later.

Fab 
Posted on 12-Dec-2010 13:43:00
#91 ]

@zErec

Well, i doubt he said there was nothing new coming out from WebKit, else he definitely need some (new?) glasses.
WebKit project is insanely active and has never stopped activity even for a single day in the last months/years (you get about 50/100 changesets committed every day).

samo79 
Posted on 12-Dec-2010 16:48:09
#92 ]
Elite Member

@Cammy

OWB-OS4 is surely better than the AROS version, yes OWB-AROS have some interesting things (mostly GUI related) but isn't mature enough as "our" version

@zErec

Mmm i'm sure Joerg talked about OWB development not WebKit, altrough OWB project are recently restarted

@kas1e

This is an awesome news, please my friend don't give up !!!

@Fab

Please if you can help kas1e, as already say he needs some help about MUI

Last edited by samo79 on 12-Dec-2010 at 05:40 PM.

http://www.betatesting.it/backforthefuture

Sam440ep Flex 800 Mhz 1 GB Ram + AmigaOS 4.1 Update 6
AmigaOne XE G3 800 Mhz - 640 MB Ram - Radeon 9200 SE + AmigaOS 4.1 Update 6

Swoop 
Posted on 12-Dec-2010 17:05:20
#93 ]
Elite Member

@Cool_amigaN

Quote:
I believe, that he must have thought about adding these features requested repeatedly by the users but perhaps he found that he had to spent equal time with the Timberwolf project and decided to go on something more complete.

Joerg had nothing to do with the Firefox port (Timberwolf) that was/is the work of the Frieden Twins, and maybe Joerg did not have time to implement user requests.
He repeatedly stated he did not have the time to write a proper browser front end for OWB.

@Thread

Be thankfull for what Joerg did do, not slag him off because he was unable to provide what you want.

"There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary, and those who don't."

kas1e 
Posted on 12-Dec-2010 17:13:05
#94 ]
Elite Member

@samo79
Fab already help me the half of day today, and we have some progress. But saying that we will have something soon, its very early. But i really hope we can go to the end, and Fab still will have energy/interest to help :)

kas1e 
Posted on 12-Dec-2010 17:17:49
#95 ]
Elite Member

@swoop

Quote:

Be thankfull for what Joerg did do, not slag him off because he was unable to provide what you want.

And we all happy that we have already owb3.30 , even without almost any features, but, i think i will never understand his words about "if someone will stoopid enough to port morphos owb to aos4" and "owb for aos4 its only core, it can't be normal browser". And not the last : he can't normally answer on questions, and normally give the latest sources.

And where is logic: he add buttons for navigate, but not add the download manager. And when everyone (98% of all users) ask him for download manager, he say "owb its only core". When we ask, why then you add buttons - he say nothing.

And all in all, AfxGroup start all of this, not him.

So while its good to have even owb 3.30 on aos4 (which i use everyday), still, its all can be better, and much much interesting, if only joerg will not have these strange opinions. He say something, and then these words mean not the same what he say before (owb its only core, can't be browser, but add navigate buttons). Why even he start to works on it if it can'be browser ?

Last edited by kas1e on 12-Dec-2010 at 05:21 PM.
Last edited by kas1e on 12-Dec-2010 at 05:20 PM.

samo79 
Posted on 12-Dec-2010 17:35:53
#96 ]
Elite Member

@kas1e

Well, very very well keep us informed and a HUGE thanks to you and Fab, good luck boyz !

About Joerg: agree 100%, he doing an excellent job on OWB even without a proper GUI but beside programming i fail to undestand his behaviours/choices, i respect him aniway

http://www.betatesting.it/backforthefuture

Sam440ep Flex 800 Mhz 1 GB Ram + AmigaOS 4.1 Update 6
AmigaOne XE G3 800 Mhz - 640 MB Ram - Radeon 9200 SE + AmigaOS 4.1 Update 6

Tomas 
Posted on 12-Dec-2010 17:37:37
#97 ]
Elite Member

@kas1e

Quote:

kas1e wrote:
@samo79
Fab already help me the half of day today, and we have some progress. But saying that we will have something soon, its very early. But i really hope we can go to the end, and Fab still will have energy/interest to help :)

This is great news indeed.

kyle 
Posted on 12-Dec-2010 17:48:01
#98 ]
Cult Member

@kas1e

This is really a good news

wawa 
Posted on 12-Dec-2010 18:40:08
#99 ]
Elite Member

@kas1e

strange attitude indeed. if you get anywhere with it, maybe there will be a chance to get it compiled for 68k target too.

PR 
Posted on 12-Dec-2010 19:08:06
#100 ]

Well, banking works fine if in a hurry and need a fast boot. (AmigaOne)

100% Virusfree ;) Well, for now.

Maybe a big Thanks is not enough? The Amizilla money could be given to Joerg or the brothers or maybe make a good pile of money (5e) and let them burn just for fun..

Don't want to mix up anything, just Thanking as here was an occasion.

PR

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle