Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
10 crawler(s) on-line.
 131 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

Hypex

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Hypex:  1 min ago
 matthey:  18 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  38 mins ago
 utukku:  1 hr 1 min ago
 DWolfman:  1 hr 6 mins ago
 Hammer:  2 hrs 20 mins ago
 kolla:  2 hrs 32 mins ago
 agami:  3 hrs 39 mins ago
 RobertB:  4 hrs 44 mins ago
 MEGA_RJ_MICAL:  5 hrs 20 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Alt Amiga OS
      /  Why does there seem to be more OS4 users than MorphOS users?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 Next Page )
PosterThread
Fairdinkem 
Re: Why does there seem to be more OS4 users than MorphOS users?
Posted on 29-Oct-2011 10:24:15
#221 ]
Cult Member

@recedent
Quote:

recedent wrote:
@Fairdinkem

Quote:
Um I don't know what C= Amigas cost in Europe back in the day but for me back in the 80's and 90's they were easily more expensive than a IBM Compatible and so was the software and expansion hardware.

Um, perhaps we live in different worlds?

I guess we do....... Maybe cost was cut due to the fact they built there systems???

Profile     Report this post  
itix 
Posted on 29-Oct-2011 10:52:08
#222 ]
Elite Member

@Geennaam

Quote:

That's because they have different priorites. (and MorphOS had a couple of years headstart).

And from xeron:
Quote:

just a few months ago, myself and olaf barthal fixed some bugs that dated back to os 2.0!

You can't have your cake and eat it too =P

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 29-Oct-2011 10:54:36
#223 ]
Elite Member

@Kronos

Quote:

Kronos wrote:
@Fairdinkem

Amiga == Amiga500 (made up over 90% of all units sold) and yes that has allways been cheaper than a comparable PC (if you wanted to play games, have sound and colors that is).

Mots of the ex Amiga users I talked to remember workbench 1.2 and kickstart 1.3, anything newer then wb1.3 is alien to this people, I think most of the kids using Amiga500 never ever used workbench, they used it as gaming machine, the most of the people that remains found the Amiga useful, not just a toy.

The view that Amiga can't be an Amiga whit out the OCS graphics is true to many hard core gaming fans.

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 29-Oct-2011 10:58:43
#224 ]
Elite Member

@Slayer

Most of kids I know did not have a monitor at the start, they connected it to the TV, using a TV modulator, and external harddrives they where so expensive for teenager that most did not have one.

Most people did buy Amiga500 because they wonted a gaming machine.

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 29-Oct-2011 at 11:01 AM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 29-Oct-2011 at 11:00 AM.

itix 
Posted on 29-Oct-2011 10:59:20
#225 ]
Elite Member

@Fairdinkem

In Europe 90% of all Amigas sold were Amiga 500 and it was substantially cheaper than any PC with comparable specs. In other continents Amiga pretty much flopped and never got big success.

Slayer 
Posted on 29-Oct-2011 11:22:21
#226 ]

@Kronos

Quote:
g) to compete with Agnus,Denise&Paule you would have needed a highend workstation (>10000DM)

Power without the price !

Even if this is outrightly true I doubt anyone made this calculation at the time of purchase, these kind of things only surface later as hindsight unless you happen to be looking for a y feature that this caters too prior to you purchasing a solution for it... perhaps there was a small % who targetted Amigas for this very thing...

I didn't buy it because the alternative in a few specific areas was 10 times the amount for example

As for the dates, I guess history isn't my strongest suit :p

jorkany 
Posted on 29-Oct-2011 15:55:13
#227 ]
Cult Member

@Slayer

Quote:

As for the dates, I guess history isn't my strongest suit

How about you man up and admit you got busted.

minator 
Posted on 29-Oct-2011 16:45:10
#228 ]
Cult Member

@amigadave

Quote:
Just to repeat my question, or the main question; why are there not more MorphOS users than OS4 users

Are there? or is this just perception?

If you read sites like this you get an impression of the size of the Amiga community.
When I first talked about selling the Walker earlier this year my website got loads of hits from links of lots of other national Amiga sites that I was completely unaware of.

My perception of the size of the community was clearly wrong, I now think it's far bigger than anyone suspects.

That said I don't know how many are using what system. The OS4 users are certainly more visible, MorphOS users seem to be very quiet for the most part*.

*Some people seem to be under the impression that people who are anti-OS4 are MorphOS users. While this is no doubt true in some cases I think this is for the most part untrue.

e.g. There are many vile spitting anti-OS4 people on Moobunny but very few seem to have anything to do with MorphOS. Quite why they hate it so much I've no idea.

To come back to the original question, I'd guess there are more OS4 users than MorphOS but I don't actually know.

There appear to be something around 1000 MorphOS users, I have no idea how many OS4 users there are but I don't imagine it'd be a hugely different number. I expect the difference is in part due to the power of the Amiga brand.

redfox 
Posted on 29-Oct-2011 17:26:16
#229 ]
Elite Member

@amigadave

I started out with a Z80 system running CP/M and tinkered with Z80 homebrew stuff for awhile.

My Classic Amiga system is an A2000HD with no accelerator card. I have owned it since about 1989. It has AmigaOS 3.1 installed, two SCSI hard drives, a SCSI CD-ROM drive, MicroWay FlickerFixer, some extra FastRAM, but no accelerator card. Since I never installed an accelerator, I could only run programs for the 68000 CPU. I tried some of the very fine software enhancements that were available, but finally settled on a very basic Workbench with a background picture and no extra eye candy.

I have never owned a more powerful Classic Amiga or AmigaOS 3.5 or AmigaOS 3.9.

However, I was using the A2000HD with AmiTCP/IP over a dial-up connection to my internet service provider and surfing the net with AMosaic and AWeb-II.

Our next computer was a Windows x86 system. My wife and son lost interest in Amiga stuff and we joined the "mainstream".

I installed QNX6 on our HP Pavilion as a second OS. I was using mostly QNX when I joined amigaworld.

On the Amiga side, I was interested in upgrading, but it was my hobby, and hobbies always came in last place to other financial commitments.

After years of watching on the side lines, I realized that it would make more sense for me to try an "Amiga NG" system, rather than purchasing a more powerful Classic Amiga with a PPC accelerator.

At that time, there was MorphOS on Pegasos or OS4 on AmigaOne. I could not afford to purchase both. Unfortunately, this was during the cold war between red and blue. No matter what choice I made, it would be unpopular with the "other side".

AmigaOnes were available in Canada through a web-based Canadian company. Near the end of 2004, I purchased my MicroA1 motherboard bundled with OS4.0 Prelease Update 1 on CD. I've continued with OS4 since then, upgrading as new updates become available.

I am still interested in MorphOS but have not pursued it further.

---
redfox

Last edited by redfox on 30-Oct-2011 at 01:07 AM.
Last edited by redfox on 29-Oct-2011 at 05:35 PM.
Last edited by redfox on 29-Oct-2011 at 05:32 PM.

utri007 
Posted on 29-Oct-2011 18:30:28
#230 ]

Last few days quite many people has said to me that they will buy forthcomin Amiga netbook.

Those people has had A500 and they have good memories about it.

So I would say that IF it cost 300, it would sell about 100-200k , no matter CPU just price.

IF these people somehow get lost here and first thing they find out here is those M***Os **holes, they just don't buy it, but they don't buy Morph Os license either because it is NOT a Amiga Os.

So I just wonder why those M**** Os people are so against, they must have some kind of feeling of inferiority, because their OS was so near to became Amiga Os.

Situation is even worst in amiga.org there quite much anyone who has anything to do with OS4 is personally insulted somehow, stupid, crimial etc

Last edited by utri007 on 29-Oct-2011 at 06:38 PM.
Last edited by utri007 on 29-Oct-2011 at 06:31 PM.

Matt3k 
Posted on 29-Oct-2011 18:39:37
#231 ]

@amigadave

Another possibility (I posted similar over at morphzone)

I propose that there are probably many more MOS users that don't frequent Morphzone and others that are not being counted. I look at myself, I seldom post or read on the boards these days. Perhaps there as many MOS users as AOS users...

I, and many other users I suspect, treat MOS as an os and not a hobby. MOS works great for all that I need it for, I didn't even update to 2.7 until over 1 years after it was released. 2.5 worked great...

To me MOS runs my checkbook, email, and word processing needs perfectly. Life is so much different for me now, I barely have time for any hobby let alone playing with the Peg 2.

In retrospect this is a HUGE compliment to the MOS development guys. MOS is so good that I don't think or worry about it and make it a hobby to get it to work...

My 1,000 cent (2 cents adjusted for inflation....)

itix 
Posted on 29-Oct-2011 18:48:33
#232 ]
Elite Member

@utri007

You made just prime example what is so wrong in this community. You are posting to wrong thread.

recedent 
Posted on 29-Oct-2011 19:07:46
#233 ]

@utri007

Quote:
So I would say that IF it cost 300, it would sell about 100-200k , no matter CPU just price.

Umm... that 200k is intentional, or just a typo? 200 000 units? You crack me up, daydreamer...

Quote:
they must have some kind of feeling of inferiority, because their OS was so near to became Amiga Os.

Do I remember well that OS4 itself was oh so near to become not Amiga OS?

P.S. Most users with fond memories of an A500 don't remember AmigaOS. With some luck they might remember something called "Workbench", that came on disk supplied with the machine. Those floppies were later formatted/reused for whatever. If C=USA "Amigas" come first and will have better price, they will buy 200k (can't stop laughing) of them instead of Hyperion netbooks, just because the latter would NOT be 'teh real Amigas' (at least to them).

Kronos 
Posted on 29-Oct-2011 19:15:16
#234 ]
Elite Member

@recedent

In order to sell 200k "Amigas" you have to do as they did with the C64.

Read, pack it in a joystick together with 20 or so games and sell it for 30$ or less.

Nothing else will work.

Ever.

g_kraszewski 
Posted on 29-Oct-2011 19:34:02
#235 ]

@utri007

first thing they find out here is those M***Os **holes

Only one ***hole posted in this thread so far. Guess who.

Franko 
Posted on 29-Oct-2011 19:53:25
#236 ]
Elite Member

@g_kraszewski

Quote:

g_kraszewski wrote:
@utri007

first thing they find out here is those M***Os **holes

Only one ***hole posted in this thread so far. Guess who.

I never said a thing...

Kronos 
Posted on 29-Oct-2011 19:54:20
#237 ]
Elite Member

@Franko

O.k. make that 2

balis 
Posted on 30-Oct-2011 0:22:08
#238 ]

@Amigadave

I am more a OS4 user. I used to have A500 then an A1230/50 back in the days.

I stopped in mid nineties and got back interest few years ago.
Why i've choosed Amjga OS4 atm?
Because it looked more or less at what i haved before with OS 3.x : WB, the way to handle thing, the look and feel.

So i naturally went for a Sam440 when available. I also looked at MOS and hope to get a system soon, during 2012.
however, i am not fond of Mac hardware.

To answer your question : i am not sure the OS4 community is more important than the MOS one. OS4 users are just more visible and probably post more often than MOS users.

The number scheme of Amiga OS 4.x user is probably very close to MOS one.

Has anyone got an estimation of Amiga OS4.x user today?

Fairdinkem 
Posted on 30-Oct-2011 7:48:49
#239 ]
Cult Member

@Amigadave

I left the Amiga scene when Gateway went bust and nothing interesting was happening software or hardware wise. It was a time when the Pentiums started to emerge and games and software was far to demanding that the Humble Amiga wasn't able to replicate and developers were jumping ship to develop for hardware like IBM Compatibles, Sony PS1, 3DO etc.

It seems I got out at the right time avoiding the Red vs Blue war at it's peak. My friend persisted with Amiga keeping a watchful eye on all things Amiga and he expanded his Amiga 1200 with PPC add ons etc whilst I said why waste your money on hardware that has no software?

It wasn't until about two years ago that I revived my interest in reminiscence of the good old days that I went to an Amiga User Group meeting here in Melbourne Australia that I saw for the first time AmigaOS4. I sold my PC and ordered a Sam 440 flex and AmigaOS4.1, once I had received my machine after a terrible purchasing experience from an Australian based reseller I then had a terrible experience getting my machine to actually work after finally sorting it out to find it was a hardware conflict I then proceeded to discover AmigaOS4.1.

Just as I experienced back in the early nineties when Internet browsing came to personal computing as a common place event in households I'm talking dial up using the likes of iBrowse and Termite TCP. Amiga just didn't move with the times and rapid development of this new era in computing, and thus internet was not a good experience on the Amiga other areas were things like interfaces such as USB, ethernet and multi spin CDROM drives etc, I'm sure you all know what I mean I bet I am preaching to the converted?

And so I find myself using AmigaOS4.1 in the year 2010 and I find myself using an out dated slow internet browser in the form of RAOWB with no flash support, and modern tabbed browsing also without download management and netsurf didn't quench my desire either, I found AmigaOS also did not support USB2.0 either, I was quickly disenchanted by my experience. I have to say I liked the fact that immediately I felt like I was using a modern version of what I left back in the early nineties but the internet experience was disappointing.

I started to look abroad and discovered MorphOS and along with the discovery came the politics and long standing feudal information. I was enchanted by the possibility of running MorphOS and using MUIOWB albeit not perfect but a darn site further along in development web browser with USB2.0 support and it was claimed by users to be a much more "polished" modern operating system which I have to say I later found to not necessarily be an accurate reflection.

So I sold the Sam Flex and bought a Pegasos 2 which had a registered installation of MorphOS so I could dual boot both AmigaOS4.1 and MorphOS 2.7

I started using MorphOS and quickly discovered the annoyance of having to troll Aminet etc to find required but not included libraries for MUI to make programs work I did however appreciate the amount of work that Fab had done with MUIOWB it certainly made surfing the net a lot more pleasing especially Youtube. What struck me as odd with MorphOS though was the distinct lack of software and applications considering MorphOS age and how long it has been developed, the development of some software is BETA at best or seems to have ceased being developed at all. I won't give any examples they are just software apps I like to use on any operating system and I find them to be better developed on AmigaOS4.1.

After tweaking MorphOS a bit and setting up the system to a near approximation of what I like I found myself with no other apps of interest so I now find myself booting into AmigaOS4.1 more than MorphOS plus I must admit I have no other friends who use MorphOS so it seems AmigaOS4.1 has more interest to me especially with MUIOWB and Timberwolf on its way.

As for the question you have posed, this is my journey but as for the people who stuck it out with Amiga through out the demise of Commodore and the many parties that came and went, I think as to which system they find themselves allied to whether it be MorphOS or AmigaOS I think it is purely pollitical i.e. who was first, or is the true or worthy successor? Maybe it was strictly out of need at the time not wanting to take the other options which was IBM PC Windows, Apple Mac or Linux, or stick it out using your classic Amiga?

recedent 
Posted on 30-Oct-2011 8:43:17
#240 ]

@Fairdinkem

Quote:
I won't give any examples they are just software apps I like to use on any operating system and I find them to be better developed on AmigaOS4.1.

And I've just found a gazillion of software apps that are better developed for MorphOS but I won't give any examples either :)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle