Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
7 crawler(s) on-line.
 154 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 matthey:  7 mins ago
 Matt3k:  14 mins ago
 OlafS25:  25 mins ago
 amigakit:  53 mins ago
 RobertB:  2 hrs 5 mins ago
 Rob:  2 hrs 5 mins ago
 A1200:  2 hrs 12 mins ago
 pixie:  2 hrs 16 mins ago
 sibbi:  2 hrs 39 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  2 hrs 52 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga Inc. offshoot
      /  Why this is a derogatory and insulting forum name
Register To Post

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
BigBentheAussie 
Why this is a derogatory and insulting forum name
Posted on 19-Dec-2011 16:32:48
#1 ]

I contend, that Hyperion and therefore OS4 are Amiga Inc licensees just as Commodore USA are, essentially making them "Amiga Inc offshoots".
Amiga Inc has absolutely nothing to do with Commodore USA or its running, except a document signed in the latter part of last year.
If anything Hyperion has had more constant dealings with them than we have.
This is hardly a dedicated CUSA forum, as was discussed in an earlier post.
The site admin is under no obligation to justify this action or do anything of course.
However, I personally find this action rather distasteful, in that not only have you relegated CUSA discussion to a backwater (ie off the front page), but have ensured limited positive discussion in future by having the forum not even contain the Commodore USA name (so you're lucky to even find it).
It just adds insult to injury and drives and even deeper rift in our relationship with this forum and its community.
Not that anyone could hear me scream in this particular forum anyway.
It's as good as outer space.

Last edited by BigBentheAussie on 19-Dec-2011 at 04:45 PM.

Profile     Report this post  
tomazkid 
Re: Why this is a derogatory and insulting forum name
Posted on 19-Dec-2011 16:53:09
#2 ]
Team Member

@BigBentheAussie

Relax, the intention was to make CUSA threads more contructive and less negative on first sight.

Have you ever thought that; before, it was general tech or free for all regarding CUSA.

Now it has a forum where the only competition would be ICONTAIN or whatever else AInc. brands out?

Is it really for the worse?

Also, instead of just complaining and taking this as an insult, why not ask nicely if CUSA could have a forum of its own?

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/offshoot

Last edited by tomazkid on 19-Dec-2011 at 04:55 PM.
Last edited by tomazkid on 19-Dec-2011 at 04:54 PM.

CritAnime 
Posted on 19-Dec-2011 17:27:52
#3 ]
Cult Member

@BigBentheAussie

Quote:

BigBentheAussie wrote:
It just adds insult to injury and drives and even deeper rift in our relationship with this forum and its community.

And your CEO coming on and divulging sensitive and private emails and PM's on this site isn't driving deeper wedges?

As far as I am concerned putting CUSA stuff into it's own thread is a good way of handling the current situation. While I am not too sure about not having it on the front page I can see why they would do it.

@tomazkid

They do have their own forum and it's Commodore-Amiga.org.

Last edited by CritAnime on 19-Dec-2011 at 05:30 PM.

Admin at Commodore Gaming Wiki

eliyahu 
Posted on 19-Dec-2011 17:57:58
#4 ]

@BigBentheAussie

Quote:

i'm sorry, who insulted whom? who created the rifts to begin with? would you care for some links to your and your boss's behavior here and elsewhere that started all of this? seriously, just ask. i've got a bunch of 'em.

for those that wish to discuss you and your products, there exists both a dedicated site -- where your boss has demonstrated his ability to censor and delete to his heart's content, by the way -- and a forum here as well. the community has demonstrated deep divisions regarding your presence here, to the point of creating absolute havoc. this is the most sensible course to keep things peaceful. i even abandoned the site for more than a month due to the in-fighting all of this caused until the moderators took some form of action.

is it perfect? no. but in comparison with the slide downhill into moobunny territory this place was heading, it's much better for the regulars around here.

besides, with all of your and your boss's public boasting about comparative sales and mindshare versus the existing amiga community, why would you care about this site anyway? you continually mention just how tiny we all are in comparison, so why spend the effort trying to convince us?

-- eliyahu

BigBentheAussie 
Posted on 19-Dec-2011 18:01:03
#5 ]

@tomazkid

Quote:
Relax, the intention was to make CUSA threads more contructive and less negative on first sight.

Of course, by not even mentioning Commodore USA... Yeah, I can see that.
Why not put it on display in the bottom of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying 'Beware of the Leopard'.

Quote:
Have you ever thought that; before, it was general tech or free for all regarding CUSA.

Yes, but that was at least on the front page. Now it's in the middle of nowhere, and I can barely find it to even post to it. It doesn't even come up in the extended thread list does it.

Quote:
Now it has a forum where the only competition would be ICONTAIN or whatever else AInc. brands out?

There is no Icontain. There will be no other AInc brands. And as I said before, even Hyperion could be considered an A.Inc offshoot, so it really makes no sense as a name anyway. It is an attempt to demonise us by association with Amiga Inc, and we barely have had any.

Quote:
Is it really for the worse?

Of course it's worse. Why do you think I'm bringing it up.

Quote:
Also, instead of just complaining and taking this as an insult, why not ask nicely if CUSA could have a forum of its own?

I did. Are you forgetting where I asked you to reconsider. I'll do it again.
Please can we have our own forum....and do you really need it to be off the main page?

Honestly, I've got a really important announcement to make quite soon that could potentially give everyone absolutely everything they ever wanted. It would be a pity if it was hidden away in the basement

Thanks.

Last edited by BigBentheAussie on 19-Dec-2011 at 06:04 PM.

BigBentheAussie 
Posted on 19-Dec-2011 18:04:14
#6 ]

@eliyahu

Quote:
the slide downhill into moobunny territory this place was heading,

Can we be blamed for the existence of trolling?
Would it not be better to deal with the trolls rather than punish the victim of the trolling.

persia 
Posted on 19-Dec-2011 18:06:32
#7 ]

@BigBentheAussie

This site deals with the historic Amiga, the one that came out and changed computing. As such, you are right, the only relationship you have to that Amiga is a single piece of paper. Other than that C=USA is a PC OEM. Hardly within the scope of this board.

Like them or not, Hyperion has far more connection to the historic Amiga and therefore more connection to subject matter of this board.

Last edited by persia on 19-Dec-2011 at 06:07 PM.

ajs 
Posted on 19-Dec-2011 18:12:15
#8 ]

@BigBentheAussie

Quote:
Honestly, I've got a really important announcement to make quite soon that could potentially give everyone absolutely everything they ever wanted. It would be a pity if it was hidden away in the basement

If it's that important an announcement, submit it as a news item, then it will be on the front page

Some people are like slinkies. Not really good for anything but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

PG 
Posted on 19-Dec-2011 18:13:54
#9 ]

@persia

Quote:
This site deals with the historic Amiga, the one that came out and changed computing. As such, you are right, the only relationship you have to that Amiga is a single piece of paper. Other than that C=USA is a PC OEM. Hardly within the scope of this board. Like them or not, Hyperion has far more connection to the historic Amiga and therefore more connection to subject matter of this board.

+1

eliyahu 
Posted on 19-Dec-2011 18:25:18
#10 ]

@BigBentheAussie

Quote:
Can we be blamed for the existence of trolling?
Would it not be better to deal with the trolls rather than punish the victim of the trolling.

you can be blamed, at least in part, for the hostility that exists against you and your boss. your behavior in the past was insulting, inflammatory, unprofessional, and -- at least in two occasions -- genuinely disgusting.

you cannot be blamed for trolling, though, no. you're right on that score. but to consider yourself a 'victim' is absurd. like the posts of your boss, your presence here is toxic, whether intended to be so or not. and i therefore contend yet again this was the best choice among many poor ones faced by the site owner and moderators.

Quote:
Why not put it on display in the bottom of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying 'Beware of the Leopard'.

can i just say, though, that any man who uses a douglas adams' reference in his arguments is one with whom i could not possibly have any personal quarrel. good show. it is through humor like this and not taking the situation so seriously -- by all involved -- that will see us get to a detente of sorts. eventually.

-- eliyahu

Last edited by eliyahu on 19-Dec-2011 at 06:27 PM.

jkirk 
Posted on 19-Dec-2011 18:25:59
#11 ]
Elite Member

@BigBentheAussie

Quote:

then list that announcement as news.

the reason CUSA was taken off the main page is the same reason AROS and Morphos was taken off so long ago. to make it harder for the trolls to find you.

as you see the acceptance of these two os branches are growing. eventually CUSA could too. then back on the front page we will go. this just needs a FIRM CONSISTENT effort to change opinions in the amiga community.

if this is what you want then look at the complaints then ask yourself "what will it take to nullify this complaint in the communities eyes?" then forge ahead. if you find this is impossible you WILL have to weather the storm until you build enough goodwill for people to drop their grudges.

Win•dows: n. A thirty-two bit extension and graphical shell to a sixteen-bit patch to an eight-bit operating system originally coded for a four-bit microprocessor which was written by a two-bit company that can't stand one bit of competition.

jas_mc 
Posted on 19-Dec-2011 18:28:13
#12 ]

@BigBentheAussie

Amigaworld isn't some kind of public information service. It isn't obliged to give balanced coverage to everything that includes the word "Amiga". It's a privately owned site, and I guess the owners want it to remain a site about the original Amiga Workbench and related OSes that are still being developed (Aros, MorphOS, AmigaOS 4.*). I think it's obvious by now that it is not a forum about the Amiga brand per se.

I put a creative response in your "challenging question" thread, but after the recent (swiftly deleted) drama here, I think it's a waste of time trying to mend relations with this community. If CommodoreUSA succeeds on the scale that Barry Altman intends, then this community will be a dot within a dot to you anyway.

BigBentheAussie 
Posted on 19-Dec-2011 18:28:49
#13 ]

@eliyahu

Whoever breach the TOS should be banned.
If Barry does so, then he deserves the banning.
But that shouldn't render any future positive (and sane) discussion with the community impossible.
We're all in this together.

eliyahu 
Posted on 19-Dec-2011 18:37:59
#14 ]

@BigBentheAussie

Quote:
Whoever breach the TOS should be banned.
If Barry does so, then he deserves the banning.

agreed. but a 'CEO' who behaves this way, in a 'derogatory and insulting' manner, if you like, is hardly someone who should then be sending his representative to demand more exposure for himself in a community that has very obviously decided he should have little part.

Quote:
But that shouldn't render any future positive (and sane) discussion with the community impossible.
We're all in this together.

sorry, but it kinda does. until you have anything remotely interesting to this community, beyond a label sticker, you're not going to find much positive interest here. we aren't 'in this together' because this is a retro-computing community of amiga enthusiasts. you are selling an amiga-branded amiga, well, eventually. we aren't interested in the label, but the content. and until your content has something to do with us, then you aren't a part of us. anymore than icontain is/was.

acquiring the rights to 'the name' (either through a license or outright purchase) and what you plan to do with it doesn't matter. the name doesn't matter. what's 'inside' does. that's what we care about. if you contribute something to this community beyond a label, beyond a brand, then we'll be 'in it together,' and i'll be right by your side. until then, though, not so much.

i do appreciate you trying, though. it's a very positive change, and we're taking note of it.

-- eliyahu

BigBentheAussie 
Posted on 19-Dec-2011 19:02:23
#15 ]

@eliyahu

If there wasn't the potential for any future positive (and sane) discussion I wouldn't be fighting so hard for a voice right now. I truly believe this could be in everyone's best interests.

Quote:
sending his representative to demand more exposure for himself in a community that has very obviously decided he should have little part.

He didn't send me. Doesn't know I'm posting here. Doesn't know this forum topic stuff went down, or that I'm even upset about it. I'm not demanding either...just stating what I disagree with.
It's not that Barry doesn't want to be part of the community, I think he's just a little shell-shocked at all the attacks, and being new to forums, let alone the Amiga community, just can't seem to resist troll bait.

Last edited by BigBentheAussie on 19-Dec-2011 at 07:23 PM.
Last edited by BigBentheAussie on 19-Dec-2011 at 07:20 PM.

tomazkid 
Posted on 19-Dec-2011 19:12:44
#16 ]
Team Member

@BigBentheAussie

Quote:
I did. Are you forgetting where I asked you to reconsider. I'll do it again. Please can we have our own forum....and do you really need it to be off the main page? Honestly, I've got a really important announcement to make quite soon that could potentially give everyone absolutely everything they ever wanted. It would be a pity if it was hidden away in the basement Thanks.

Ok, I'll ask the rest of the staff what they think about a CUSA forum.

Regarding an announcement, post it as news, and it will get the limelight.

BigBentheAussie 
Posted on 19-Dec-2011 19:53:09
#17 ]

@tomazkid

Posted the News.
I hope you find it at least intriguing.

Okay....and.....while I'm here....and if I'm allowed to mention.
I just posted some possible Commodore AMIGA designs
CUSA Commodore AMIGA Concept Designs

Last edited by BigBentheAussie on 19-Dec-2011 at 07:54 PM.

Darrin 
Posted on 19-Dec-2011 20:15:13
#18 ]
Team Member

@BigBentheAussie

Quote:
He didn't send me. Doesn't know I'm posting here. Doesn't know this forum topic stuff went down, or that I'm even upset about it. I'm not demanding either...just stating what I disagree with.
It's not that Barry doesn't want to be part of the community, I think he's just a little shell-shocked at all the attacks, and being new to forums, let alone the Amiga community, just can't seem to resist troll bait.

What a crock.

He's been posting the same bile for over a year now. Don't tell me he's "new to forums".

Don't insult us by coming here and making us out to be the problem. Sort your own act out.

Darrin 
Posted on 19-Dec-2011 20:17:39
#19 ]
Team Member

@BigBentheAussie

Oh, and what the hell is this obsession you have with taking a Linux PC and slapping an Amiga sticker on it?

As far as I can see, it is your misuse of the Amiga name that is causing a lot of the issues.

Last edited by Darrin on 19-Dec-2011 at 08:21 PM.

Rudei 
Posted on 19-Dec-2011 20:24:18
#20 ]
Elite Member

@persia

Quote:

persia wrote:
@BigBentheAussie

This site deals with the historic Amiga, the one that came out and changed computing. As such, you are right, the only relationship you have to that Amiga is a single piece of paper. Other than that C=USA is a PC OEM. Hardly within the scope of this board.

Like them or not, Hyperion has far more connection to the historic Amiga and therefore more connection to subject matter of this board.

+2. Well said.

Regards,
Rude!

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle