Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
21 crawler(s) on-line.
 127 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

DiscreetFX

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 DiscreetFX:  31 secs ago
 amigakit:  1 hr 26 mins ago
 Hammer:  2 hrs 16 mins ago
 Rob:  2 hrs 54 mins ago
 billt:  3 hrs 2 mins ago
 amigang:  3 hrs 13 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  3 hrs 15 mins ago
 agami:  3 hrs 38 mins ago
 matthey:  3 hrs 45 mins ago
 kolla:  3 hrs 52 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Classic Amiga Software
      /  Tester for Aros 68k Distribution wanted
Register To Post

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
PosterThread
OlafS25 
Tester for Aros 68k Distribution wanted
Posted on 31-Jan-2012 9:38:15
#1 ]
Elite Member

Hello,

I am working for several weeks on a Aros 68k distribution with preinstalled software and components. Some screenshots here:
http://aros-exec.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=6606&forum=4&post_id=63515#forumpost63515

I use WinUAE for it but I also search for testers on other platforms. I need testers who help me to optimize it. When you are interested send me a email. I will offer download links (about 500 MB) or burn it on CD and send it (then I need the money before.

My email: olaf . schoenweiss at innovatronic . de

Last edited by OlafS25 on 31-Jan-2012 at 10:02 AM.

Profile     Report this post  
Leo 
Re: Tester for Aros 68k Distribution wanted
Posted on 31-Jan-2012 11:39:03
#2 ]

@OlafS25: I'm only interested in testing 68k games/demos (mostly trackdisk based). I don't think this is what you want...

OlafS25 
Posted on 31-Jan-2012 11:42:34
#3 ]
Elite Member

@Leo

I am interested in testers on the distribution that can include games and demos (I invested most of the time in adding games/development/utilities/shell/libs etc. so that the user can install it and then use it out of the box)

Fred_AROS 
Posted on 1-Feb-2012 0:17:37
#4 ]

@OlafS25

No chance for email here at work, just leave me a note and I can test it on several 68k machines at the next two weekends :)

OlafS25 
Posted on 5-Mar-2012 12:31:12
#5 ]
Elite Member

@Fred_AROS

Do I have your email?

@all

New versions goes out to the tester today...

I have added informations and screenshots on my webpage:
http://www.natami-news.de/html/aros_vision.html

Franko 
Posted on 5-Mar-2012 13:10:58
#6 ]
Elite Member

@OlafS25

Quote:

OlafS25 wrote:
Hello,

I am working for several weeks on a Aros 68k distribution with preinstalled software and components. Some screenshots here:
http://aros-exec.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=6606&forum=4&post_id=63515#forumpost63515

While I've never quite understood what's involved with AROS (Bloodline on Amiga.org once gave me a version of it but I couldn't get it to work)...

I'd be happy to test it out on my various Amiga hardware setups if that is possible (020, 030, 060 & PPC) mainly to find out for myself just what exactly AROS is really all about can do so far...

Dunno if that's what your looking for here but if it is then like I say I'd be more than happy to have a look and supply you with feedback/ bug reports on how well it works on my various Amiga set ups...

Last edited by Franko on 05-Mar-2012 at 01:11 PM.

OlafS25 
Posted on 5-Mar-2012 13:13:00
#7 ]
Elite Member

@Franko

Yes of course... send me your email-adress and I will send you the download-links (about 500 MB packed)

Franko 
Posted on 5-Mar-2012 13:15:20
#8 ]
Elite Member

@OlafS25

Quote:

OlafS25 wrote:
@Franko

Yes of course... send me your email-adress and I will send you the download-links (about 500 MB packed)

Well if I can finally get to experience AROS for myself then I'd be happy to do so...

Sending a PM now...

wawa 
Posted on 5-Mar-2012 13:57:00
#9 ]
Elite Member

@Franko

to setup a nightly on a real hardware might be a little annoying, but perhaps olafs distribution is easier to handle.

just in case anybody is interested to test the nightlies, heres how i do it:

1. download the nightly to your pc (i dont have currently internet connection on my amiga). source:
http://aros.sourceforge.net/de/download.php
the archive in question is amiga-m68k-bootiso
2. decompress the therein contained iso to a directory on your pc. you may use programs like winrar or isobuster to do that.
3. prepare an amiga formatted drive with an empty bootable aros partition (preferably highest priority) on your amiga. youz may use ffs with its flaws but also pfs3 as file system.
4.connect the amiga drive (assuming it is an ide drive) to your pc using an ide-usb adapter.
5. fire up winuae. mout your decompressed iso-directory as drive under winuae:
hardware>harddrives>add directory or archive.
alternatively i think you can just mout your iso archive under
hardware>harddrives>add hardfile.
6. mount your usb-connected amiga hard drive
hardware>harddrives>add hard drive
and boot up winuae from a your usual bootable partition.
7. copy aros installation from iso or iso-directory to your aros partition on your real amiga hard drive using file manager of your choice. diropus?
make sure the aros partition on your amiga drive is bootable and has the highest priority.
8. you can now attach your amiaga aros harddrive to your amiga controller. be it internal ide, fastata, or scsi controller via acard scsi-ide adapter. note that csppc or csmk3 controllers are not yet supported and cause problems during bootup.
9. your amiga will now likely need some time due to kickstart3.1 waithing 30sek for the drives to spinup and then softkick aros. which you will be able to observe as it gives screen output. the aros68k boot from had is not immediate as aos, but it doesnt take long.
10. alternatively you could establish a serial debug connection between amiga and whatever else machine you use (likely with an serial sub-d adapter 25>9 pin, null modem cable and serial-usb adapter) and observe the debug output on terminal window on the alternate machine.
im using tera term on pc. you have to choose your usb port. and debug baudrate: 115200

alternatively if you have your amiga connected to internet, you can of course format your partition directly on amiga, download the iso and mount it with one of numerous utilities, preferably with diskimage device available from aminet
http://aminet.net/disk/misc/diskimage.m68k-aos.tar.bz2
(i dont know why it isnt lha anymore)
and copy the files over directly on your amiga without this all annoying winuae and disk swapping, but i cant do that currently.

thats all, folks.

Last edited by wawa on 05-Mar-2012 at 01:57 PM.

Franko 
Posted on 5-Mar-2012 14:10:47
#10 ]
Elite Member

@wawa

Quote:

wawa wrote:
@Franko

to setup a nightly on a real hardware might be a little annoying, but perhaps olafs distribution is easier to handle.

Thank for that well explained info...

Myself, it doesn't sound like a problem. All I should have to do (if I understand correctly) is download the ISO using my Mac burn it to a CD then take it to one of my Amiga's and copy the contents to a bootable partition which I have set up...

HD space is no problem (got 1TB on my main miggy) and plenty of free space on all my others to create a new bootable partition, so it sounds like it should be easy enough to do...

Just hope that this time unlike the version Bloodline sent me I get something more than a quick green flash then nothing but a blank gray screen (could never figure out why I couldn't get it to work)...

OlafS25 
Posted on 5-Mar-2012 14:19:30
#11 ]
Elite Member

@wawa

interest description... thank you. I do not use it on real amigas (just test it in RTG and PAL). In theory it should work by just copying. I am already excited to see it running on real classic hardware

clusteruk 
Posted on 5-Mar-2012 14:25:55
#12 ]

Remember that Aros will need a bit more cpu power than original OS3.1, whilst I will probably get this wrong and someone can correct me, but Aros does more hardware abstraction which takes a bit more processing. But the outcome is a new and future proof version of OS3.1 which is coming on in leaps and bounds

Looking forward to videos, as I only have an A1000 and an A3000/030 so not sure how she would perform. Plus I am loath to mess with a fully working system. Plus my little spare time is now devoted to Rasberry Pi preparation.

OlafS25 
Posted on 5-Mar-2012 14:29:02
#13 ]
Elite Member

@clusteruk

Are you interested to try it out? When yes you can send me a message with your email and then I will send you download-links

Franko 
Posted on 5-Mar-2012 14:39:11
#14 ]
Elite Member

@OlafS25

Ok... just received the links from Olaf and downloading as I type...

I take it I need to download everything given here...

Rom.rar
System1.rar
System2.rar
System3.rar
System4.rar
System5.rar
System6.rar

Is there a particular order in which i need to open these and burn them to CD !!!

I was expecting them to be a CD ISO image file but they appear to be just RAR archives containing the files/ dirs needed !!!

So I take it I have to create the actual CD myself from the above RAR archives, take this to an Amiga and put them on a suitable bootable partition !!!

Once I get them all download and set up on one of my Amiga's and they work, I'll make some direct recordings of them working from my Amiga and post the videos on YouTube (fingers crossed)...

wawa 
Posted on 5-Mar-2012 14:44:30
#15 ]
Elite Member

@Franko

Quote:

Myself, it doesn't sound like a problem. All I should have to do (if I understand correctly) is download the ISO using my Mac burn it to a CD then take it to one of my Amiga's and copy the contents to a bootable partition which I have set up...

of course you could burn it to cd, given you have a cddrive connected to your amiga. me i personally didnt bothered with cds since long and avoid to use that media. another solution would be of course usbe stick and deneb for whoever owns it. alas, its still isnt supported under aros directly.

Quote:

Just hope that this time unlike the version Bloodline sent me I get something more than a quick green flash then nothing but a blank gray screen (could never figure out why I couldn't get it to work)...

bloodline has not been following closely up till now and might have given you an outdated version and overly complicated instructions. at least i had an impression it has been an adf image from the very beginning, when it was still totally difficult to get aros to boot at all. he is a vsp (very smart person) after all, y'know..

OlafS25 
Posted on 5-Mar-2012 14:44:46
#16 ]
Elite Member

@Franko

you must unpack System 1..6 in one directory (i could not upload all at one time). And a RTG-mode (Cybergraphx) is used, so I am not sure if just copying works, perhaps better first install and change mode to PAL.

wawa 
Posted on 5-Mar-2012 14:45:59
#17 ]
Elite Member

@Franko
you should be able to open multiple file archive opening the first rar in the row, i suppose, at least under winrar..

OlafS25 
Posted on 5-Mar-2012 14:46:17
#18 ]
Elite Member

@Franko

thank you for the videos in advance i am already looking forward to it. I will send you the email of Jason (the Aros 68k maintainer) he can certainly help you if you have problems

Franko 
Posted on 5-Mar-2012 14:49:33
#19 ]
Elite Member

@OlafS25

The downloading is just about finished (it on System5 just now)...

So from what you say there I only need to copy and burn the "System6" contents to the CD and ignore 1 to 5, is that correct...

OlafS25 
Posted on 5-Mar-2012 14:51:20
#20 ]
Elite Member

@Franko

copy the contents in one dir (or CD). It is my "System" partition (up to WBStartup). Nothing special

no all, starting from System1 up to system6

I am uploading System6 now, so start with System1

i splitted it because it was too big to transfer it in one file

Last edited by OlafS25 on 05-Mar-2012 at 02:54 PM.
Last edited by OlafS25 on 05-Mar-2012 at 02:52 PM.
Last edited by OlafS25 on 05-Mar-2012 at 02:52 PM.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle