Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
10 crawler(s) on-line.
 171 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 OlafS25:  16 mins ago
 Swisso:  20 mins ago
 amigakit:  55 mins ago
 amigang:  1 hr 27 mins ago
 clint:  1 hr 53 mins ago
 zipper:  2 hrs 49 mins ago
 ppcamiga1:  3 hrs ago
 VooDoo:  3 hrs 20 mins ago
 marcofreeman:  3 hrs 38 mins ago
 pixie:  3 hrs 44 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Software
      /  Amiga OS Virgin Install: Next Steps?
Register To Post

PosterThread
jingof 
Amiga OS Virgin Install: Next Steps?
Posted on 20-Feb-2012 3:55:00
#1 ]

I have an Amiga X1000 with a virgin Amiga OS 4.1 install by AmigaKit.

What do you Amiga Guru's recommend as next steps for a virgin install, to get the system "tricked out"? What software should I install (freeware and commercial)? Also, I intend to do C/C++ development on the X1000. What software would you recommend I install to meet that purpose as well?

Thanks,
Jingo

PS> I received my X1000 almost 2 months ago, but have done nothing with it, due to a child in ICU til now.

Profile     Report this post  
amigasociety 
Re: Amiga OS Virgin Install: Next Steps?
Posted on 20-Feb-2012 4:40:52
#2 ]
Cult Member

@jingof

Are you new to Amiga OS? I consider myself new even though I have tinkered for a couple years now waiting for my lovely X1000.

Here is what this fairly new Amiga OS 4.1 has done with his X1000.

Installed (some were already installed but needed setting up) the following apps and set them all up (with some help from folks here and other Amiga forums like Hyperions). Basically making my X1000 useful for everyday computing and for use in my business:

OWB-MUI (nice web browser)
Netsurf 2.8 (nice web browser)
iBrowser (nice web browser)
YAM (nice emailer)
DVPlayer (for watching DVDs and other media)
TuneNet (listening to CDs and MP3 and streaming audio radio stations)
AmiCygnix (running X apps like GIMP & Abiword)
Jack (desktop calendar & weather & other goodies app)

Every day or so I add something new, explore something new, and I am having a grand time!

TJ

lylehaze 
Posted on 20-Feb-2012 6:02:30
#3 ]

@jingof

The SDK can be downloaded and installed from the Hyperion site. That is the foundation for most development work.

From there, the possibilities are almost endless....

I hope your child is recovering well.

LyleHaze

jingof 
Posted on 20-Feb-2012 7:18:23
#4 ]

@amigasociety

Quote:
Are you new to Amiga OS? I consider myself new even though I have tinkered for a couple years now waiting for my lovely X1000.

Well, I am "rediscovering" Amiga OS, I guess you could say. I did own an A1000 in 1985-1991, and was an Amiga enthusiast back then. But I don't really retain much "skill" from that long ago, and AmigaOS is barely recognizable from the 1.1 version I used in the 80's. Around 2007, I started following Amiga developments again, hoping to buy hardware and pick up where I left off. The X1000 is finally that system I believe. So, yes, with all the time and changes, I feel like I'm starting over as a newcomer.

Quote:

OWB-MUI (nice web browser)
Netsurf 2.8 (nice web browser)
iBrowser (nice web browser)
YAM (nice emailer)
DVPlayer (for watching DVDs and other media)
TuneNet (listening to CDs and MP3 and streaming audio radio stations)
AmiCygnix (running X apps like GIMP & Abiword)
Jack (desktop calendar & weather & other goodies app)

Every day or so I add something new, explore something new, and I am having a grand time!

Thanks, I'll check those out!

jingof 
Posted on 20-Feb-2012 7:28:10
#5 ]

@lylehaze

Quote:

The SDK can be downloaded and installed from the Hyperion site. That is the foundation for most development work.

Thanks, I'll start there.

Quote:

I hope your child is recovering well.

Her recovery is slow but progressing. Doctors say it could take months for her to get back to where she was. At least she was released from the hospital to recover at home.

OldFart 
Posted on 20-Feb-2012 7:54:37
#6 ]
Elite Member
From: Stad; en d'r is moar ain stad en da's Stad. Makkelk zat!

@jingof

Not feeling like being a guru on the subject, but from experience I recommend you keep the SYS: partition religiously clean of ANY third-parties stuff and to lock the partition rendering it only readable.

OldFart

Nibunnoichi 
Posted on 20-Feb-2012 7:59:19
#7 ]
Cult Member

@jingof

Quote:

jingof wrote:
Also, I intend to do C/C++ development on the X1000. What software would you recommend I install to meet that purpose as well?

After you installed the SDK from Hyperion, you could find these useful:
Codebench IDE (commercial and feature packed, there's a free version)
SDK Browser
Annotate (freeware editor with syntax highlighting support)

Kicko 
Posted on 20-Feb-2012 8:10:04
#8 ]
Elite Member

@jingof

Coders are always more then Welcome :)

mr2 
Posted on 20-Feb-2012 8:32:34
#9 ]
Cult Member

@jingof

Try Codebench - developement

http://codebench.co.uk

@jingof amigasociety

and Filer - file management

http://os4depot.net/index.php?function=showfile&file=utility/filetool/filer.lha

Hypex 
Posted on 20-Feb-2012 13:51:40
#10 ]
Elite Member

@amigasociety

Quote:
iBrowser

LOL. Now that's funny!

amigasociety 
Posted on 20-Feb-2012 16:04:38
#11 ]
Cult Member

@Hypex

Must admit I don't use it much as OWB-MUI is my go-to browser with Netsurf #2 but I did iBrowse also and it seemed OK.

I am a web browser whore anyway so.

tj

eliyahu 
Posted on 20-Feb-2012 16:23:01
#12 ]

@jingof

congrats on acquiring my dream machine, the X1000! there is a tremendous amount of software that works well on amiga NG machines, both classic software from the 68K days as well as more modern applications. obviously exploring os4depot and aminet should be your first stops, but here are some of the tools i use on my SAM on a regular basis:

* astronomy: i'm a bit of a 'backyard astronomer' as it were so my absolute favorite amiga application is easily the superb digital universe from bill eaves. it is commercially available, but very reasonably priced, and unlike astronomy programs on other platforms, this one gets you the information you need for observation quickly, easily, and without flim-flam. it is also hugely scriptable via REXX and is nice for demonstrations i sometimes do for neighborhood schoolchildren. a version of celestia, an open-source program from the GNU/linux world, is also available although requires miniGL -- so you may have issues running it on your X1000 before the release of OS4.2.

* audio: coupled with a nice audio card, you'd be surprised what you can do with a modern amiga. previously commercial, audio evolution -- a multi-track audio editing suite -- is now available for free. additionally you'll also want to check out HD-REC if you're into MIDI. you'll also want to try soundFX 4.3 on your system as well; although a classic application it works beautifully on my SAM. of course if you want to build up your MP3 collection, you'll want ADripper to rip your CDs, tunenet or amigaamp3 to play them, and amipodder if you're into podcasts. amuse is also good if you need a last.fm client. lastly you'll want to play MODs -- this is an amiga, after all -- so check out milkytracker, or hivelytracker, or schism, or ....

* emulation: there are emulators available for just about every classic computing or console platform you can imagine. among the ones i use are amiNES (for the original NES console), basilisk2 (for the classic Macintosh), DOSbox (for old DOS programs), E-UAE (for amiga games that 'pound' the custom chipset), hatari (for atari ST programs), KEGS (for apple IIgs emulation), VICE (for C64 and C128 games), and warpSNES (for the SNES). you'll also find emulators for spectrum systems, amstrads, the original playstation, neogeo arcade games, and many others.

* graphics: most of the graphics tools i use from the classic days. among them are imageFX, photogenics, and fxpaint -- which are available commercially -- and tvpaint, personal paint, and perfect paint -- which are freely available. probably the most used on my SAM is the photoshop-like arteffect from alinea, available for e15 including a printed manual. there's also terrific 3D applications including the modern blender, the still-commercially available aladdin 4D, and the freely available lightwave 3D. if you want to work with vector graphics, check out amifig or the classic drawstudio v2.0, although finding the latter isn't easy. there are many available graphics viewers out there for browsing your photo collection: amiphoto from alinea is my personal favorite, although warpview is excellent as well. some folks like loview.

* internet: this has been touched on by previous posters. among the tools to check out are, for IRC, amIRC for OS4 and wookiechat. for instant messaging you can use jabberwocky for google talk (and other services using a jabber backbone) and sabreMSN (for windows live messaging). folks have touched on browsers well enough: i find netsurf and MUIOWB to be my personal favorites. there is a native version of newscoaster for USENET newsgroups, a twitter client called amitwitter, and a telnet/SSH client called amtelnet (although for connecting to most systems using SSHv2, the openSSH client on os4depot is a better bet). remote access to your other systems can be done via either RDP or VNC with the remote desktop client and twinVNC respectively. there are several bittorrent clients -- such as ctorrent and transmission -- but i've never been successful with either. lastly you'll want to check out xnet-rss for RSS streams and subscriptions, and either YAM or simplemail for email.

* productivity: this is an area of relative weakness for our platform, most of the office tools for amiga NG very old indeed. that said there are some pearls, such as MUIbase as a database system, pagestream for page layout, and the amicygnix environment which brings tools like abiword and gnumeric to the amiga. on the classic side you might be interested in amigawriter from alinea (still sold today) or wordworth 7 for word processing. some folks swear by finalwriter 97, but that's rather tough to find a copy. spreadsheets are rather old: some still use turbocalc 5, although i much prefer staram plan which is available freely.

* video: there are two varients of mplayer, the older reaction-based version and the more recent MUI-based port from morphOS. i've had much better performance with the reaction version, and coupled with mplayer-GUI, i quite like it. i've also purchased DVplayer and recommend it wholeheartedly. if you need to convert between formats ffmpeg and its accompanying GUI utility is rather useful and full video editing is possible in blender.

this post is getting way too long, so i'll skip games and utilities for some other time. enjoy your new amiga NG!

edit: added links.

-- eliyahu

Last edited by eliyahu on 20-Feb-2012 at 08:41 PM.

vox 
Posted on 20-Feb-2012 16:44:03
#13 ]
Elite Member

@jingof

Every man has a right to decide his own destiny

Sorted by categories - whatever you need, like, and play for fun
http://os4depot.net/
http://os4.aminet.net/

And if you trust in people`s vote top 100 downloads are:
http://os4depot.net/index.php?function=stats&yearmonth=201202&count=100

jingof 
Posted on 20-Feb-2012 23:02:37
#14 ]

@eliyahu

Thanks for the thoughtful and thorough reply. I'm sure I'll be referencing it regularly.

@all
Thanks for the pointers and suggestions. Some useful information coming out of this thread - maybe it should be summarized somewhere for others new to NG AmigaOS to benefit after this thread is long gone .

Last edited by jingof on 20-Feb-2012 at 11:05 PM.

vox 
Posted on 20-Feb-2012 23:06:14
#15 ]
Elite Member

@jingof

Yes, thanks Eliyahu for great summary by categories.
It also shows that major weakness currently is in productivity area.

mr2 
Posted on 20-Feb-2012 23:30:10
#16 ]
Cult Member

@jingof

Interesting info...

http://os4depot.net/index.php?function=showfile&file=document/tutorial/gtmooya2011.pdf

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 20-Feb-2012 23:48:36
#17 ]
Elite Member

@jingof

Nice to see people finally getting back to Amiga, I feel your making big jump from v1.1, most of the community are people that have at lest experienced OS2.x / OS3.x, I think you find it interesting and different, but yes its mostly a expensive toy that you can do some stuff on.

The SDK you find at Hyperion,
C lib and stuff you find on OS4Depot.

Any text editor whit that can display line numbers will do, but if you like color highlighting you should get codebench or Cubic IDE.

GDB works but be careful its easy to crash it or not being able to exit once your applications have crashed, just compile your programs whit the -ggdb option for extra symbols.

Don't foget the -D__USE_INLINE__ -lauto options for GCC, it just make stuff so easy, and don't forget half of the OS4 development manual is in the include files lots of comments, so don't just look in the Autodocs.

Don't forget to check out the examples in SDK, it makes it a lot easier to get started, and use the forums often when you run in to problems!

And be careful whit “make clean” when your porting it can easily wipe your directory if your using con shell and not sh shell.

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 20-Feb-2012 at 11:51 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 20-Feb-2012 at 11:49 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 20-Feb-2012 at 11:49 PM.

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle