Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
12 crawler(s) on-line.
 171 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

zipper

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 zipper:  2 mins ago
 pixie:  16 mins ago
 amigakit:  20 mins ago
 RobertB:  21 mins ago
 OlafS25:  35 mins ago
 bhabbott:  50 mins ago
 jPV:  1 hr 29 mins ago
 matthey:  1 hr 30 mins ago
 AmiKit:  1 hr 31 mins ago
 Musashi5150:  1 hr 52 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Classic Amiga Software
      /  PageStream installations in OS4.1
Register To Post

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
WeiXing3D 
PageStream installations in OS4.1
Posted on 24-Mar-2013 2:14:35
#1 ]

After almost 9 months trying to install PageStream in multiple versions (3.0, 3.2 and 5.0) today I succeed to install all 3 of them. Interesting enough, versions 3.0 and 3.2 only run without HDD installation and from a USB stick, and 5.0 was installed apparently without any problems in my HDD.

Unfortunately in none of the 3 versions I have managed to enter (insert) any text in a new document. I can place the cursor within a column, but when I type nothing appears on the screen.

Has anyone seen this? Is there a fix for this problem?

SEPARATE (BUT SIMILAR SUBJECT): Has anyone ever succeeded in installing or running PageStream III (or II) in OS4.1? How?

Last edited by WeiXing3D on 24-Mar-2013 at 02:33 AM.

Profile     Report this post  
Franko 
Re: PageStream installations in OS4.1
Posted on 24-Mar-2013 2:51:56
#2 ]
Elite Member

@WeiXing3D

I use Pagestream 3.1 all the time on the Amiga (tested and installed on machines with OS 3.1/ 3.5 & 3.9)...

They install perfectly onto HD (be pretty awkward trying to it if it didn't). Why you can't install Pagestrem onto an HD seems a little odd to me, pretty sure you must be doing something wrong...

Only thing that I can think of is you aren't setting up the proper "Assigns" required for Pagestream and setting the stack size too...

Been a long time since I've had to install Pagestrem but I can tell you that (and the reason escapes me right now) I launch Pagestream not from the programs icon itself but from another icon that launches a script which sets up the required "assigns" & stack size instead..

The script that launches & runs Pagestream 3.1 for me on my Amigas is as follows... (this should give you and idea of what is required but you'll need to create a script with the correct paths that suit your system obviously)...

(Note: the script is launched from within the Pagestream3 folder...)
Quote:
Assign NIL: Pagestream3: ""
Assign NIL: SoftLogik: Softlogik
Assign NIL: PSFonts: "Store:Saved Data/ Fonts/"
Assign NIL: PS3Documents: "Store:Saved Data/Prog Files/ Pagestream V3/"

CD Pagestream3:

Stack NIL: 8192
PageStream3

Assign NIL: PS3Documents: Remove
Assign NIL: PSFonts: Remove
Assign NIL: SoftLogik: Remove
Assign NIL: PageStream3: Remove

Avail NIL: Flush

I am pretty certain that the reason nothing is appearing when you type is because you haven't set up the "Assign" to the required fonts directory and therefore when you try to enter text there is no font data to display...

Install Pagestream on your Hd and create a script as above with of course the correct pathnames as you will be using on your set up and everything should work just fine...

EDIT: I've tested Pagestream running in OS4.0... it did work but suffered from quite a few random "grim reaper" messages that were so random it was too much bother to try and figure out what was going wrong...

Last edited by Franko on 24-Mar-2013 at 02:54 AM.

WeiXing3D 
Posted on 24-Mar-2013 3:13:04
#3 ]

@Franko

Thank you for your detailed answer. In my case I'm referring to installation in OS4.1 and not in Classic Amiga.

To make things even more interesting...I'm using a similar install of PS3,2 in my Morphos Mac Mini and that runs flawlessly,

Is there anyway to edit the assigns without having to re-install; I'd like to try that with my PS 5.0 installation. I'm running the other 2 installations without HDD install from a USB.

Franko 
Posted on 24-Mar-2013 3:34:59
#4 ]
Elite Member

@WeiXing3D

Quote:

WeiXing3D wrote:
@Franko

Thank you for your detailed answer. In my case I'm referring to installation in OS4.1 and not in Classic Amiga.

Well you did post it in the "Classic Amiga Software" section so it was reasonable to assume you were talking about the classic side of things (before you changed the threads title to clarify it)...

Quote:
Is there anyway to edit the assigns without having to re-install; I'd like to try that with my PS 5.0 installation. I'm running the other 2 installations without HDD install from a USB.

While I can't tell you specifically about running it on other OS's/ set ups...

You should (in theory) without needing to install things again, just create a script along the lines as I described above that sets up the required assigns and it should work in any set up that way...

You might even be able to set up the required Assigns in the programs icon tooltypes (ver 2.x used to allow you to do that)....

Trixie 
Posted on 24-Mar-2013 7:16:05
#5 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@WeiXing3D

Quote:
in none of the 3 versions I have managed to enter (insert) any text in a new document. I can place the cursor within a column, but when I type nothing appears on the screen.

I remember dealing with the same problem years ago. I think it was related to the font directory settings.

Go to the "System Preferences / Fonts..." menu and see if you have "FONTS:_TrueType" among the Installed Font Drawers. If not, add it using the button on the right.

AmigaOne X5000/020 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
SAM440ep-flex @ 667MHz / 1GB RAM / Radeon 9250 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition

WeiXing3D 
Posted on 25-Mar-2013 1:03:11
#6 ]

@Trixie
I think you are putting me on the right track, but the problem is that I only have the following font sets in my Fonts folder (SoftLogik Fonts, Standard Fonts and Studio Fonts). Where can I find or download True Fonts?

Please keep in mind that I'm running the app from and adf mounted image so I have 4 drawers. So the fonts that I mentioned about are in a different drawer. When I point the path tho either of the font sets mentioned above, I still don'g get any text.

Any suggestions?

Klowna 
Posted on 25-Mar-2013 2:23:29
#7 ]

@WeiXing3D

Quote:
To make things even more interesting...I'm using a similar install of PS3,2 in my Morphos Mac Mini and that runs flawlessly,

I've tried installing PageStream 4 on the MacMini 1.52GHz I have MorphOS installed/registered on, but I've had the same problem with the FONTS issue - type something cursor does not move, and can't find the FONTS drawers, or the apparent assigns setup during the program with a normal Amiga 68k OS3.x Installer, during the standard installation script that is supplied with the program.

I haven't tried to install PageStream 3 or 2 on the MacMini, but I may do so now, just to see if that works, when PGS 4 doesn't.

I'm sure you found it frustrating, and I know I did too. I got some advice from other MorphOS users who had it running OK, and I think I did initially when I first installed MorphOS 3 on my system, but I later installed the Ultimate MorphOS CD, which added lots of other features to the standard MorphOS setup, and I'm just wondering if that has upset something in the system that has caused this problem with PageStream.

If you track down the problem I'd like to know, as PageStream is a program I'm really wanting to use on MorphOS

Franko 
Posted on 25-Mar-2013 4:28:34
#8 ]
Elite Member

@Klowna

Quote:

Klowna wrote:

If you track down the problem I'd like to know, as PageStream is a program I'm really wanting to use on MorphOS

The "problem" both of you are having with being unable to type is simply because the FONTS required by Pagestream are not being found...

Either the assigns have not been set up properly or you are missing the appropriate "true type" files as Trixie said in the FONTS: drawer...

All I have to do (and yes I know I'm using 3.x) to replicate this problem is remove the assigns from the script I mentioned and bingo... nothing appears when you try to enter text...

Why not simply set up a script as I have shown but to suit your system and check your FONTS: drawer like Trixie said and at least then you will have either solved the problem, or if it still doesn't work at least eliminated something that isn't the problem... you'll never know unless you try...

Trixie 
Posted on 25-Mar-2013 8:22:21
#9 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@WeiXing3D

Quote:
the problem is that I only have the following font sets in my Fonts folder (SoftLogik Fonts, Standard Fonts and Studio Fonts). Where can I find or download True Fonts?

OS4 keeps installed TrueType fonts in the "FONTS:_TrueType" directory. But whatever directories you have your fonts in, you MUST add these directories in PageStream's System Preferences and have them listed as Installed Font Drawers. Otherwise PgS will not be able to use any fonts.

AmigaOne X5000/020 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
SAM440ep-flex @ 667MHz / 1GB RAM / Radeon 9250 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition

kilaueabart 
Posted on 26-Mar-2013 2:17:53
#10 ]
Cult Member

@WeiXing3D
I see you have a SAM460ex. I have found that PgS 5.0.5.8 Pro works rather nicely on my 460.

I don't remember how I handled the assigns, but would looking at someone else's UserPrefs/Pagestream5.prefs help?

Swoop 
Posted on 26-Mar-2013 11:17:14
#11 ]
Elite Member

@kilaueabart

Assigns are in s:userstartup

As far as Pagestream is concerned it will only use fonts that you tell it where they are located, regardless of what fonts you have installed on your OS4 setup.

Hence, you need to launch pagestream, go to system preferences/fonts on the file menu and add the font directories that you want pagestream to use.

As far as pagestream wanting "_Truetype" fonts, it may be you have this set up in pagestreams font prefs, but don't have any such directory on OS4. If so remove the entry from pagestream font prefs, and add the location of the fonts you want to use.
Pagestream will only display any text if it knows what font to use, if it can't find a font it can't display anything.

"There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary, and those who don't."

kilaueabart 
Posted on 27-Mar-2013 7:50:53
#12 ]
Cult Member

@Swoop

Quote:

Assigns are in s:userstartup

I was thinking of PageStream specific assigns, and I had forgotten that PgS 4 used system assigns. PageStream 5 doesn't use any of those, making it considerably easier to set up.

scabit 
Posted on 27-Mar-2013 22:44:55
#13 ]

@kilaueabart

Hmmm...not sure how "easy" Pagestream 5 is to set up. I am using version 5.0.3.1 and no matter what font directories I assign in the Pagestream system/fonts menu window, I never se any visible fonts. I have tried setting it up for the main pagestream/font directory which has 4 subdirectories of fonts, as well as both the sys:fonts directory AND the sys:fonts_truetype directoris (which does indeed have many fonts in it.) All to no avail.
Clues anyone?

Thanks,

Scott

Paul 
Posted on 28-Mar-2013 1:21:43
#14 ]
Cult Member

@Trixie, Scabit, WeiXing

Quote:
OS4 keeps installed TrueType fonts in the "FONTS:_TrueType" directory. But whatever directories you have your fonts in, you MU

For my 5.0.5.8 Pro installation I was rather shocked just now to see the same problem. It HAD BEEN working a few months ago. But if I remember right I did some clean up on my awefully messy fonts directory since the last time I used PgS.

What I discoverd is that you need to be sure you have chosen a drawer with fonts ending in TTF. When I chose the "installed-onto-the-system" directories with all the OTAG files, I had the same PgS behavior you are describing. Once I chose drawers with actual .ttf fonts, it started working.

Hope this helps.

Paul

scabit 
Posted on 30-Mar-2013 12:58:05
#15 ]

@Paul

Quote:
What I discoverd is that you need to be sure you have chosen a drawer with fonts ending in TTF.

In addition to that, in order to get the example "Flyer" document to load properly with fonts, you must also add the fonts subdirectories from Pagestream to the fonts prefs. Only then does the Flyer document actually show me the proper text.

But all is working now...well, all that works in this version at least, which is limited but looks like a really good start. Interestingly, I never got Pagestream version 5.x to work in OS4, even when it was first released back in 2005ish or so when I bought it....until I got some of the updates from OS4.1 update 6.
Just like with Timberwolf, which runs extremely much better now than it did prior to the updates made available through the OS4.1 update 6 addition of the "Update" command, somewhere some of the new updated modules are allowing Pagestream 5 to work as I was told it should have a long time ago.
This OS4.1 regular Update thing is really helping a lot.

Scott

DiscreetFX 
Posted on 7-May-2013 3:27:42
#16 ]
Elite Member

Comment removed. Please don't make things personal. I could link you to the appropriate TOS, but I'm sure you know this.

Last edited by Yo on 07-May-2013 at 03:00 PM.

tlosm 
Posted on 7-May-2013 8:14:31
#17 ]
Elite Member

@DiscreetFX

ummm ...
let know us when the movie "viva amiga" will be release thanks! :)

MacBook Pro Retina I7 2.3ghz;
#nomorea-eoninmyhome

Rob 
Posted on 7-May-2013 11:47:20
#18 ]
Elite Member

@tlosm

Quote:
let know us when the movie "viva amiga" will be release thanks! :)

Viva Amiga is Zach Weddington's project and is, to my knowledge, in no way affiliated with DFX.

Develin 
Posted on 7-May-2013 13:20:18
#19 ]

@tlosm

I assume you mix the movie "Oil change" and "Viva Amiga" up now =)

tlosm 
Posted on 7-May-2013 13:27:00
#20 ]
Elite Member

@Rob

http://www.discreetfx.com/films.html

MacBook Pro Retina I7 2.3ghz;
#nomorea-eoninmyhome

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle