Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
14 crawler(s) on-line.
 79 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

OlafS25

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 OlafS25:  44 secs ago
 Hypex:  6 mins ago
 amigang:  12 mins ago
 matthey:  18 mins ago
 hannana:  18 mins ago
 A1200:  51 mins ago
 zipper:  53 mins ago
 Matt3k:  57 mins ago
 CosmosUnivers:  1 hr 35 mins ago
 pixie:  2 hrs 13 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Classic Amiga Hardware
      /  Amiga 500 Rev61 2MB RAM onboard
Register To Post

PosterThread
scuzz 
Amiga 500 Rev61 2MB RAM onboard
Posted on 6-Oct-2020 16:49:11
#1 ]

Hi

I have an odd beast of an A500 that had an expension card that I removed connected to a small chip pillar holding the GARY that was wired to J2 next to the CPU. All the memory slots are filled so the vacant ones have chips. The RAM card had a leaky battery and with it connected was giving me a yellow screen. So I removed it. Thing is without [ WITHOUT ] the RAM expansion card the A500 is still registering 2MB RAM. AVAIL and SysInfo state that I have 1MB CHIP and 1MB Slow [ fast ].. basically the filled chips on the motherboard are on the same bus so assume that is why SysInfo refers to them as slow fast ram. Can I repeat there are no other cards on the motherboard.

I cannot see any hack to the jumpers at J2 and J7A other than the wire from the Gary raised pillar. There is a strange wired switch to the Audio Filter area.

I checked the RAM chips that were added and they appear to be 1MB in total. The original look like they were the original on the motherboard but are giving a reading of 1MB.

Something doesn't stack up. The board is covered in hot glue if you want to look at these images.

Any ideas why there is 1MB Chip on this board. when it should be 512K.

https://www.scuzzscink.com/amiga/scuzzblog_october20/scuzzblogdoctober20_0501.htm

scuzz

Profile     Report this post  
evilFrog 
Re: Amiga 500 Rev61 2MB RAM onboard
Posted on 6-Oct-2020 18:36:19
#2 ]

@scuzz

Well, that looks a bit of a dog's breakfast. I think some of the hot glue may be to stop chips shifting in their sockets as things warm up. It’s something I’ve seen done elsewhere. It works, but usually a squirt with contact cleaner or a new socket turns out to be better overall.

Seems like it’s had the 1MB ram mod done on the motherboard, too. The interleaved chip types is a giveaway. Other than that I’m scratching my head as much as you are on the rest.

Profile     Report this post  

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle