Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
8 crawler(s) on-line.
 162 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

Hypex

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Hypex:  16 secs ago
 DiscreetFX:  19 mins ago
 klx300r:  27 mins ago
 Matt3k:  2 hrs 2 mins ago
 agami:  3 hrs 32 mins ago
 amigasociety:  3 hrs 54 mins ago
 matthey:  4 hrs 40 mins ago
 RobertB:  4 hrs 57 mins ago
 Rob:  5 hrs 22 mins ago
 number6:  6 hrs 27 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  If you could buy Amiga Shares would you?
Register To Post

Poll : If you could buy Amiga Shares would you?
Yes
No
Pancakes

PosterThread
amigang 
If you could buy Amiga Shares would you?
Posted on 19-May-2021 11:33:22
#1 ]
Elite Member

If Amiga was on the stock market would you invest? and what value do you think it would reach?

Some Companies and Crypto Currency value are nuts and I dont fully understand why they are valued the way they are. Like Twitter who made $1.1 Billion loss last year, but is valued at $4.5 Billion, I don't quite get it.

Anyway I found it hard to think of it true value, my gut says at least a £1 million, when I see thing like the Bedroom to Billion Amiga story film raise £135,000 it shows the right project has protentional.

I would likely buy £10 of share just for the fun. Amiga to the Moon!

Profile     Report this post  
BigD 
Re: If you could buy Amiga Shares would you?
Posted on 19-May-2021 14:21:43
#2 ]
Elite Member

@amigang

One phrase springs to mind: the Amiga Curse!

Any rise in share price would lead to a disastrous loss at some point when a product is delayed of Hyperion goes bust or something! Cloanto don’t as many risks so I guess that’s a reasonably safe investment.

Fl@sh 
Posted on 19-May-2021 15:08:06
#3 ]

@BigD

Once you have funds you should have no severe delays.

BigD 
Posted on 19-May-2021 16:12:14
#4 ]
Elite Member

@Fl@sh

Urrr... the Tabor delay was both due to poor CPU advice from Varysis and no ability to write drivers quickly and then having to redesign because the components were obsolete! Not directly the funds available!

The curse will strike whether the product sells A500 numbers or like the X1000 to the elite few! The X1000, itself a great machine, fell foul of Apple buying PA Semi! Fate or curse?

... hell Workbench 1.2 and bundled machines were recalled because of the “..they f@&ked it up” Easter Egg delaying stock in the run up to Christmas 86! Cursed! The Amiga wasn’t selling enough and then it sold less through an own goal!

Last edited by BigD on 19-May-2021 at 04:20 PM.
Last edited by BigD on 19-May-2021 at 04:12 PM.

redfox 
Posted on 19-May-2021 17:51:27
#5 ]
Elite Member

@amigang

This sounds like a worthy dream.

However, I must pick "pancakes", because I believe that ship sank a long time ago.

Meanwhile, I love my amigas and I do my best to support all flavours.

---
redfox

matthey 
Posted on 19-May-2021 17:55:31
#6 ]
Elite Member

amigang Quote:

If Amiga was on the stock market would you invest?

No. The current Amiga situation is a complete mess divided between multiple Amiga businesses going in different directions. I haven't seen plans by any of the Amiga businesses in control to change the situation or become profitable enough to warrant investment.

amigang Quote:

and what value do you think it would reach?

I doubt the Amiga would qualify to be listed on any publicly traded stock exchange.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penny_stock

The value of a business is usually primarily driven by earnings and earnings potential. The business book value based on asset valuation can be important for some types of businesses but the Amiga likely has few assets other than Intellectual Property (IP) and liabilities.

amigang Quote:

Some Companies and Crypto Currency value are nuts and I dont fully understand why they are valued the way they are. Like Twitter who made $1.1 Billion loss last year, but is valued at $4.5 Billion, I don't quite get it.

TWTR had a large loss in the 2nd quarter of 2020 giving them a loss for the whole year. The trailing numbers look bad as there is no P/E ratio (Price/Earnings) due to negative earnings and a -1.48 EPS (Earnings Per Share) for the TTM (Trailing Twelve Months). However, that bad quarter in 2020 looks like an outlier and they have positive earnings which beat estimates for the last 3 quarters since. The P/E ratio and EPS should change to positive numbers and smart investors know this. TWTR has mostly been a profitable business but most investors are looking for growth in the stock price as there is no dividend. The P/E ratio is the most important indicator for growth stocks. Growth stocks are difficult to value and their prices can be volatile.

amigang Quote:

Anyway I found it hard to think of it true value, my gut says at least a £1 million, when I see thing like the Bedroom to Billion Amiga story film raise £135,000 it shows the right project has protentional.

There is no catalyst for growth with the current A-Eon/AmigaKit and Hyperion Amiga plan. Overpriced and outdated PPC Amiga hardware isn't driving growth. FPGA 68k Amiga hardware is mostly overpriced as well. Amiga emulation is cheap but most users aren't buying newly developed Amiga products. Cloanto may have the best and most sustainable business model selling Amiga emulation products but I doubt there is much growth. The Amiga needs competitive hardware for growth and the place to start is at the low end as it is cheaper and the Amiga can go smaller.

Yes, a public Amiga business would probably be worth at least "£1 million". It reminds me of Dr. Evil being a little out of date on his ransom demand.

That is just not that much money anymore, especially for a business.

amigang Quote:

I would likely buy £10 of share just for the fun. Amiga to the Moon!

Trading fees were higher than that until recently.

Last edited by matthey on 19-May-2021 at 06:53 PM.
Last edited by matthey on 19-May-2021 at 06:51 PM.
Last edited by matthey on 19-May-2021 at 06:45 PM.
Last edited by matthey on 19-May-2021 at 06:30 PM.
Last edited by matthey on 19-May-2021 at 05:58 PM.

fishy_fis 
Posted on 20-May-2021 9:19:38
#7 ]
Elite Member

No, throwing away hard earned money has never, and will never be on my "to do" list.
Going public and having decisions controlled by nutjobs (not all, but the high number of "special" people in the community) would just hurt progress further as well.

If I was going to invest decent money into anything Amiga related it'd be AROS. Not because its my flavor of choice, but rather because money spent wouldn't just be going to lawyers, etc.

Samurai_Crow 
Posted on 20-May-2021 15:12:59
#8 ]
Elite Member

@thread

I would only buy shares if I could get majority stake but otherwise no. Count me in the "no" column.

matthey 
Posted on 20-May-2021 17:15:33
#9 ]
Elite Member

Samurai_Crow Quote:

I would only buy shares if I could get majority stake but otherwise no. Count me in the "no" column.

It is not uncommon for major shareholders to join together in shareholder voting and/or influence minor shareholders to vote with them. If the majority of Amiga shares were publicly traded, share owners could join together to replace directors with their own. Management could be changed also. I could invest in a movement like this if I liked it and the shares were cheap (offered good value) as should be the case with the current Amiga management. We probably wouldn't even need to discuss ousting Ben Herman as his popularity and behavior speaks for itself.

DiscreetFX 
Posted on 20-May-2021 18:53:13
#10 ]
Elite Member

Diamond hands!

OneTimer1 
Posted on 20-May-2021 18:59:21
#11 ]
Cult Member

@amigang

Quote:

If Amiga was on the stock market would you invest?

If I remember how a company like Amiga Inc. comes out today, I would not invest a single penny in them.

They have nothing of worth, everything is sold or bound into messy contracts with partners they hate.

Last edited by OneTimer1 on 20-May-2021 at 07:00 PM.

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle