Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
16 crawler(s) on-line.
 132 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

OlafS25

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 OlafS25:  3 mins ago
 Gunnar:  29 mins ago
 Frank:  35 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  55 mins ago
 MickJT:  1 hr 14 mins ago
 A1200:  1 hr 38 mins ago
 outlawal2:  2 hrs 12 mins ago
 AndreasM:  2 hrs 14 mins ago
 sibbi:  2 hrs 24 mins ago
 saimo:  2 hrs 38 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Hardware
      /  No picture from A1 G4 XE
Register To Post

PosterThread
hotrod 
No picture from A1 G4 XE
Posted on 21-Jun-2021 12:24:59
#1 ]
Elite Member

So, I had it taken apart but put it together with a new fresh battery but on power on I get no picture. The motherboard is getting power though.

I have read this happening several times to others so I wonder if you have any suggestions on what might be wrong and what to do? I don't have a cable for serial output.

Profile     Report this post  
BinoX 
Re: No picture from A1 G4 XE
Posted on 21-Jun-2021 14:23:10
#2 ]
Cult Member

@hotrod

Try changing the BIOS battery again (CR2032 coin battery)

Edit: I forgot to put "again"

Last edited by BinoX on 23-Jun-2021 at 09:25 AM.
Last edited by BinoX on 23-Jun-2021 at 09:25 AM.

Hypex 
Posted on 21-Jun-2021 14:31:38
#3 ]
Elite Member

@hotrod

Cable is best as these machines are too technical and don't give any visual clues nor beep a PC speaker with warning sounds.

But, going at it blind, try removing your ram. Cleaning the contacts if need be and ram slot also. Sometimes even pulling the ram out, then slotting it back in can help.

Both my XE and X1000 have had ram issues. On my XE I pulled out some ram and slot it back in then it came back to life. The X1000 I'm not so sure because the firmware will crash on a disk error or slight glitch in a cable, but I swapped some ram over and it came good.

PhantomInterrogative 
Posted on 21-Jun-2021 14:39:45
#4 ]
Cult Member

@hotrod

As weird as this sounds, take the new battery out. Wait a few minutes. Put it back in. Prior to putting it back in, double check the voltage of the battery with a multimeter, making sure it is as close to 5V as possible. When I had an A1 XE with the blank screen issue, being just under the 5V could be the difference between a booting system and blank screen.

Also check the A1 XE No Boot Solutions in OS4Zone...
A1 No Boot Screen Solutions

Last edited by PhantomInterrogative on 21-Jun-2021 at 02:43 PM.

hotrod 
Posted on 24-Jun-2021 13:42:33
#5 ]
Elite Member

@all

Thank you very much for the suggestions. The battery holder have come lose in the past and I suspect that it has once again but I'm not sure.

However, soldering back on to a working condition was a bit of a challange the last time I did it.

Now though, I don't know if that is the issue or something else and I just don't feel well so I leave it to collect some more dust sadly.

On the other hand I did something supricing and that is that I registered MorphOS today to run on my powermac because I like that hardware and to me it makes most sense to run MorphOS on it. I would've loved to see AOS 4 ported but that won't happen.

It is nice hardware, too nice to just throw away so I am happy to run MorphOS on it to get some NG Amiga-fix. It isn't AOS 4 though but still a nice experience while I'm lacking something to run AOS 4 on.

Really, getting it to run on old macs would bring in more users so I think that they should. It doesn't compete with the X1000 or X5000 or anything recent really but it's still a nice machine that would do nicely with AOS 4 on it. Not everyone have the the money to spend on new hardware. I think that the hardware are worth it and everything but for those with a limited budget this would be perfect. You actually got it up and running on something and that should be important IMHO.

Anyways, I like anything Amiga, at least to a degree and I've found myself enjoying MorphOS so why not?

It is about getting something else than Windows or Linux for that matter.

AOS 4 IS the continuation AFAI am concerd but MorphOS is nice for what it is.

It got Amiga-roots and are very nice but it is kind of... I don't know. I find more of the Amiga-spirit with AOS 4. It still feels like a Commodore OS. MorphOS doesn't quite give that feeling but it is nice for what it is.

I wish for Wanderer to bring javascript JIT because it is so slow and also I wish for video playback to be better, it's buggy now.

These are just my thoughts. I am kind of sad about the whole Amiga-situation. So much hate and stuff from people that all love the same thing. I wish that it wouldn't be a war. I'm not really a fanboy either, I think that people need an "Amiga-fix" in one way or another. AOS 4 happens to be what does it best IMO. MorphOS feels a lot colder IMO but kind of stylish and a bit weird but very professional in some ways.

The charm of AOS 4 is the Commodore-roots and the feeling.

I wonder if anyone can relate to what I'm talking about or is it just me going crazier than usual?

AP 
Posted on 25-Jun-2021 13:30:11
#6 ]
Cult Member

@hotrod

Quote:

hotrod wrote:
I wonder if anyone can relate to what I'm talking about or is it just me going crazier than usual?

I see it in a similar way. So don't worry about your craziness, although I might be crazy, too

OldAmigan 
Posted on 26-Jun-2021 19:50:46
#7 ]
Cult Member

@hotrod

I've had problems with my A1-XE in the past with video too. Changing the coin cell hasn't ever fixed it though!

I've never had video using the AGP slot and only once using the 66MHz PCI slot.
I usually have a Radeon 7000 or a 9250 in one of the 33MHz PCI slots - normally the furthest from the AGP - to get video!

Like you, I've tried MorphOS on a Powermac and its very nice. I've now got a Mac Mini to try it on.

Last edited by OldAmigan on 26-Jun-2021 at 07:52 PM.

AmigaOne and OS4.1
Mac LCII, G4 Powermac running OSX + Amigakit and MorphOS 3.0
Dell Mini 10 Netbook running IcAros and AmigaForever+Amikit+AmigaSys
2006 Macb

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 28-Jun-2021 15:14:45
#8 ]
Elite Member

@OldAmigan

IRQ conflict are normal on XE, also Eyetech fixes for AGP, is about requiring IRQ signals, normally the AGP slot I believe conflict with USB or Sound not sure, remember having all kinds problems in early days, things got better with OS updates, but I did some hardware fixes for USB and IRQ stuff.

remove any card you don't need, rearange cards if you have problems, not all drivers needs IRQ's.

Always good idea to try to see if you get something on the RS232 port on putty, you might get lucky. you need a null modem cable, not a normal cable.

Unsupported RAM modules is also pretty common issue, the XE is picky about it, if had this problem for long time, this is if you have replaced coin battery, and fluty Power supplies often cause problems.

If you can’t get text on the RS232 port, and you have new PSU and you have replaced the battery, you might have a faulty CPU, thats how I found out. Acube-System used offer repair service, not sure if they do anymore, it cost me a arm, and a leg, so that case I say get Sam460 or X5000, and forget about it.

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 28-Jun-2021 at 03:29 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 28-Jun-2021 at 03:28 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 28-Jun-2021 at 03:24 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 28-Jun-2021 at 03:23 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 28-Jun-2021 at 03:21 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 28-Jun-2021 at 03:21 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 28-Jun-2021 at 03:19 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 28-Jun-2021 at 03:17 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 28-Jun-2021 at 03:16 PM.

OldAmigan 
Posted on 28-Jun-2021 19:44:12
#9 ]
Cult Member

@NutsAboutAmiga

Thanks for that info.

Certainly, I'm not using registered RAM modules, so maybe that, and I'll see what I get from the RS232 port.

AmigaOne and OS4.1
Mac LCII, G4 Powermac running OSX + Amigakit and MorphOS 3.0
Dell Mini 10 Netbook running IcAros and AmigaForever+Amikit+AmigaSys
2006 Macb

Hypex 
Posted on 2-Jul-2021 16:32:43
#10 ]
Elite Member

@OldAmigan

That's strange. I've used an AGP 9200SE for years with no problem. I don't think I've used the 66Mhz slot, since I've never had a PCI card that can take advantage of it I know of. In any case, the AGP and 66Mhz slot conflict, so cards should not be in both slots at once. And with my AGP slot filled prevented me from being able to.

Also, I run registered ram in mine, or server ram. But I was lucky. I found 2x1GB server sticks years ago and they worked fine for me. Well, until I was cleaning out the dust and blew one stick away! I must have really blown it as that ram doesn't work anymore.

Micam 
Posted on 2-Jul-2021 16:55:06
#11 ]

@hotrod

I had that issue too. The fault was bad BGA soldering under the CPU. This is how I got it to work again (for free). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-3CvNs5PZU

Hope it works for you ;)

hotrod 
Posted on 2-Jul-2021 19:51:10
#12 ]
Elite Member

@Micam

Ugh, well I hope that that's not the case. At the moment I'm not up to fixing anything so it'll have to wait but thanks for the advice.

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle