Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
10 crawler(s) on-line.
 142 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 OneTimer1:  5 mins ago
 matthey:  6 mins ago
 RobertB:  8 mins ago
 pavlor:  40 mins ago
 VooDoo:  41 mins ago
 OldFart:  1 hr 18 mins ago
 zipper:  1 hr 38 mins ago
 kolla:  3 hrs 13 mins ago
 michalsc:  3 hrs 23 mins ago
 amigang:  3 hrs 32 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Hardware
      /  Is it game over for OS4
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
PosterThread
Yogi27 
Re: Is it game over for OS4
Posted on 23-Sep-2021 1:23:39
#21 ]

Hi Everyone,

One word, hardware! My AmigaOne 500 is really getting old. Where are the new motherboards from either Acube or A-Eon. This is the problem.

Also, I am in the early adopter for the A1222, and I updated by programs to release them when the A1222 gets here, but where is it?

Once the lawsuit is settled either way, can the winner just sell AmigaOS 4 to A-eon already.

My two cents,

Yogi

Profile     Report this post  
ktadd 
Posted on 23-Sep-2021 1:41:36
#22 ]
Cult Member

@g0blin
Quote:
I just released a game for OS4 machines (and many other platforms) a couple of weeks ago, and it went totally unnoticed. The game, "Cybersphere", was announced on this very website (among many other Amiga channels) but it sold just a ridiculous amount of copies.

Well, I saw the news item but it stated that pre-orders were being taken so I passed up on ordering until I see an actual release and available post. I think a lot of us are hesitant to do pre-orders since we have been burned so many times. Did I miss an announcement of actual availability? If there wasn't one maybe it would help to post one.

The other issue I ran into is when I use Odyssey to go to the BitmapSoft look at ordering it I couldn't get past the Privacy Overview popup to get to the actual website to order anything.
It wouldn't recognize my clicks. Might help if the order site works with OS4 browser if you want to sell to OS4 customers.

May I suggest you start a new thread or post a new news item to announce actual availability if it is available now.

Fl@sh 
Posted on 23-Sep-2021 8:22:53
#23 ]

@g0blin

I didn't know about it, I'm looking for price and purchase link but until now no luck for me!

Anyway everytime I release some software (sources are always included in distribuition) for amigaos it's only for MY/OTHERS FUN.
I have never thought to make money or refill in some way all my work hours with it, so your delusion is probably based on too high expectations.

I suggest you to make a news on AW.NET with prices and purchase link for "Cybersphere" and "The secret of middle city".

Ciao, Dino

agami 
Posted on 23-Sep-2021 10:30:22
#24 ]

As a commercial product, it is definitely dead. One could argue it was dead on arrival.

What about as a hobby OS?
Well... it's not really a hobby OS is it? Not like Linux or BSD, or even Haiku OS. Hobbyists can tinker with those.

So it's an OS for a hobby board?
Even though some of the AmigaOS 4.x compatible systems were sold as boards; based on price, availability and size, it is a stretch to refer to any of those as hobby boards.

AROS could be considered to be a hobby OS, and the Vampire V4 standalone comes closest to being an Amiga-related hobby system. The rest is all attempts at starting new businesses by tapping into the largely nostalgic Amiga community.

AmigaOS 4.x was intended as a commercial OS that depended on a commercially successful hardware partner. Eyetech didn't cut it, ACube dropped the ball, and A-Eon put it's hopes on the small segment of the Amiga community who have very deep pockets or are die-hards, or both.

Spending money on AmigaOS 4.x is throwing good money after bad. Spending money on bounties for porting apps to AmigaOS 4.x has also proven to be a waste. At this point in time the community would be better off spending time and money on porting Haiku OS to the various ppc boards targeted at AmigaOS 4.x.

Heck, if I could run Haiku OS on an X5000, I'd buy one tomorrow.

Last edited by agami on 23-Sep-2021 at 11:09 AM.
Last edited by agami on 23-Sep-2021 at 10:30 AM.

jPV 
Posted on 23-Sep-2021 10:43:07
#25 ]
Cult Member

@agami

Quote:

agami wrote:

Heck, if I could run Haiku OS on an X5000, I'd buy one tomorrow.

Really? Why on earth would you do that? Aren't there better suited and cheaper machines for that?

agami 
Posted on 23-Sep-2021 11:05:10
#26 ]

@jPV

I'm making a point about how little I'm interested in running the single-core, 32-bit AmigaOS 4.x operating system on the latest and greatest Amiga-NG hardware out there.

When it comes to operating system philosophies, the Amiga way of OS is in many ways an anti-Windows, anti-Linux, anti-BSD statement.

Those who still believe there's some life in the Power platform for a desktop/laptop computer and are anti the OS philosophies above, would be better severed with something like Haiku. Something that is open source, actually runs on multi-core 64-bit hardware, has memory protection, and a larger library of modern apps.

I have no interest in spending money on Power-based hardware for myself. The reason I would buy an X5000 if it ran Haiku OS would be to offer it up as a bounty for the port of Haiku OS to another of the AmigaOS 4.x boards, A1222 or SAM 460.

Once enough of the Amiga-NG community is running an Amigafied Haiku-ppc OS, it's a lot easier to move them to more affordable and available x86-64 hardware.

utri007 
Posted on 23-Sep-2021 13:12:13
#27 ]

@agami

Why would I think that x86 would be interesting, no matter how affordable it would be?

Amiga OS is hobby and some define it differently than others. It is most boring thing to arguing about it.

jPV 
Posted on 23-Sep-2021 14:00:34
#28 ]
Cult Member

@agami

Quote:

agami wrote:
@jPV

When it comes to operating system philosophies, the Amiga way of OS is in many ways an anti-Windows, anti-Linux, anti-BSD statement.

Those who still believe there's some life in the Power platform for a desktop/laptop computer and are anti the OS philosophies above, would be better severed with something like Haiku. Something that is open source, actually runs on multi-core 64-bit hardware, has memory protection, and a larger library of modern apps.

I have no interest in spending money on Power-based hardware for myself. The reason I would buy an X5000 if it ran Haiku OS would be to offer it up as a bounty for the port of Haiku OS to another of the AmigaOS 4.x boards, A1222 or SAM 460.

Once enough of the Amiga-NG community is running an Amigafied Haiku-ppc OS, it's a lot easier to move them to more affordable and available x86-64 hardware.

Heh, I haven't heard this kind of reasoning before, and I don't think majority of us agrees on that :)

We don't use AmigaOS because of these "anti" reasons, but because we love how it is and works. I also don't think that we love "Power platform" like we loved the original 68k hardware.

It's just that we ended up to PPC processors, because it was sensible continuation back then, but I think most of us would also accept different architecture if AmigaOS (or its clones) would run on it. While it was HW+OS that mattered originally, it's just OS that matters on NG.

I have zero interest to use Haiku no matter where it would run... like I had zero interest to run Linux or NetBSD on my A1200. Time of custom hardware is long gone and it only matters if the hardware runs the software you want to run.

BigD 
Posted on 23-Sep-2021 15:53:05
#29 ]
Elite Member

@g01df1sh

Quote:
Is it game over for OS4

Read the article in next months Amiga Future magazine to find out!

Last edited by BigD on 23-Sep-2021 at 03:53 PM.

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 23-Sep-2021 18:41:03
#30 ]
Elite Member

@agami

Far from it, I use Linux and windows every day, they have their strong and weak points, lets face it popular OS gets more virus attacks, more malware, and main stream are not hackable to same extent, now way do we want a OS that is hackable you might ask, because it’s fun. But is a security problem! well absolutely, and that is why we have things like Windows and Linux, why do we have different operating systems, why do we have different t-shirts, or jeans, or cars or bicycles, why don’t everyone buy sports cars? Answer this question, and maybe understand that your choice is your to have, but without choice, you have a boring world. Your assumption that people are anti Ferrari, because they buy Volvo, is silly.

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 23-Sep-2021 at 06:44 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 23-Sep-2021 at 06:42 PM.

g0blin 
Posted on 23-Sep-2021 19:04:05
#31 ]
Cult Member

@ktadd

Quote:
The other issue I ran into is when I use Odyssey to go to the BitmapSoft look at ordering it I couldn't get past the Privacy Overview popup to get to the actual website to order anything.
It wouldn't recognize my clicks. Might help if the order site works with OS4 browser if you want to sell to OS4 customers.

I will relay this aspect to BitmapSoft. Thank you for reporting it.

Quote:
May I suggest you start a new thread or post a new news item to announce actual availability if it is available now.

I will surely do it in the next few hours. Unfortunately, I'm on a duty trip and I can't handle it right now.

Cheers

Cybersphere Page

g0blin 
Posted on 23-Sep-2021 19:11:32
#32 ]
Cult Member

@Fl@sh

Quote:
I have never thought to make money or refill in some way all my work hours with it, so your delusion is probably based on too high expectations.

Hello Dino,
I am usually moved by "my/others fun" too, but this time we also tried to provide the user with a nice collector's edition and the publisher needs to cover the amount he spent on it.
As far as my delusion goes, I always knew that this was a niche product inside a niche market, therefore my expectations have never been that high. Still, it turned out to be much worse than expected.

What can I say? I guess I will roll up my sleeves and try even harder. Thank you for your suggestions.

Ciao, Gianluca.

Cybersphere Page

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 23-Sep-2021 20:09:30
#33 ]
Elite Member

@g0blin

You don’t write software for AmigaOS4 to make money, you should only do it because challenge or because it’s interesting, or do it for yourself, AmigaOS4 needs classic software as well as PowerPC software to become vibrate and interesting place.

This means that classic software needs to follow the same quality standards, regarding memory protection, and new API’s for large files, and bitmap locking etc. AmigaOS3.2 fails at that, i hope OS3.3 will get closer.

I also believe cooperation between developers on AROS, MorphOS, and Classic Amiga can be really beneficial, when it comes to development tools, software ports, and cross platform libs etc.

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 23-Sep-2021 at 08:55 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 23-Sep-2021 at 08:14 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 23-Sep-2021 at 08:12 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 23-Sep-2021 at 08:11 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 23-Sep-2021 at 08:11 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 23-Sep-2021 at 08:10 PM.

g0blin 
Posted on 23-Sep-2021 20:50:53
#34 ]
Cult Member

@NutsAboutAmiga

Thanks, mate. Constructive criticism is always accepted.

Have a nice evening.

Cybersphere Page

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 23-Sep-2021 20:58:38
#35 ]
Elite Member

@g0blin

I had high hopes for “Amos Kittens”, lot people where interested, but few had talent to contribute, I had hoped, that once reached a level of usability, that other developer chipped in some code, make it better, and think if that happened, we have truly cross platform AMOS today, in the end i realized it was all on my shoulders.

Mplayer bounty was another eye opener, that’s when realized impossible to make software development on the Amiga a day job.

LiveForIt-Music I did for myself, and all projects I work after that self-motivated.

Basilisk 2 I returned to partly due to some nagging, and because it got broken by OS update.

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 23-Sep-2021 at 10:01 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 23-Sep-2021 at 09:06 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 23-Sep-2021 at 09:02 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 23-Sep-2021 at 09:01 PM.

klx300r 
Posted on 23-Sep-2021 22:41:54
#36 ]
Elite Member

@g01df1sh

lol every year since 1995 had to hear Amiga is dead blah blah AmigaOS is dead blah blah but yet every year Amiga users world wide are still using their Amiga's and the past 5 years or so have been awesome with new programs and games and demos being released for 68k and PPC miggies! AmigaOS is my favourite OS from 1.3 to 4.1 FE Update what ever it is now...still using both and loving it so NO for me it wasn't dead in 1995 and not today

@ g0blin

I'm sure many copies will be sold for the digital version especially as the game also works on Windows, Linux, and Apple products!

mancave-ramblings
X1000 I BELIEVE

paolone 
Posted on 24-Sep-2021 8:56:06
#37 ]

@g0blin

I have posted a news on aros-exec about it. But please beware of this:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.lb4business.cybersphereonline&hl=it&gl=US

there is a CyberSphere brand used for a videogame somwhere else. You might be asked to change its name if you publsh it for better known platforms.

Senex 
Posted on 24-Sep-2021 14:37:13
#38 ]

@g0blin

Quote:
I just released a game for OS4 machines (and many other platforms) a couple of weeks ago

Well, the Cybersphere website still mentions "pre-order now". Otherwise we might have reported about it again already. Will keep it in mind, am at work at the moment.

Rob 
Posted on 24-Sep-2021 15:27:38
#39 ]
Elite Member

@AmigaOldskooler

Quote:
Getting a few hundred new users would help a lot I think. Maybe it does not sound much, but should make a good impact.

Trevor paid for 1000 P1022s upfront. Apparently 50 boards were made for beta testing so minus 3-5 test boards for each revision that should leave around 840 including the 100 pre-orders. I hope they don't persist with the plan to build a run of 100 and then further batches on demand. The worst thing with the launch of the X5000 was that it seemed almost exclusive to AOTL for the first 3-4 months and then more were slowly drip fed into the market. They need to make all the boards in one run get them out to dealers before even thing about announcing that it's available to order. The A1222 has been delayed more than enoungh already.

Quote:
YouTube (some popular YouTuber's will likely make a review of the machine, spreading the word further - Imagine if Dan Wood made a review for example

A-EON need to build a a review machine packed with software that shows it off to the best of it's ability and get it to Dan and others to review and make an agreement that they only release their videos on A-EON's say so. That way it can be timed to create a bit of a buzz right at the time when customers are able to purchase it from their preferred dealer.

Rose 
Posted on 24-Sep-2021 16:44:14
#40 ]
Cult Member

@Rob

Quote:
A-EON need to build a a review machine packed with software that shows it off to the best of it's ability and get it to Dan and others to review and make an agreement that they only release their videos on A-EON's say so. That way it can be timed to create a bit of a buzz right at the time when customers are able to purchase it from their preferred dealer.

Only problem with that when you give that kind of power for manufacturer credibility of review outside the faithfull will be reeeeally low.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle