Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
17 crawler(s) on-line.
 138 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 DiscreetFX:  15 mins ago
 DWolfman:  25 mins ago
 cncparts:  1 hr 58 mins ago
 saipaman4366:  2 hrs 44 mins ago
 Beajar:  3 hrs 3 mins ago
 Rob:  3 hrs 6 mins ago
 agami:  4 hrs 9 mins ago
 RobertB:  4 hrs 29 mins ago
 OlafS25:  5 hrs 19 mins ago
 Bruce72:  5 hrs 20 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Hardware
      /  Is it game over for OS4
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
PosterThread
g0blin 
Re: Is it game over for OS4
Posted on 24-Sep-2021 15:46:23
#41 ]
Cult Member

@Senex

Thank you for pointing it out. I just reported the issue to the publisher asking to change "pre-order" into "buy".
I confirm that the physical copies are available and ready to be shipped.

Cheers

EDIT: CYBERSPHERE PAGE NOW FIXED.

Last edited by g0blin on 24-Sep-2021 at 04:00 PM.

Cybersphere Page

Profile     Report this post  
g0blin 
Posted on 24-Sep-2021 15:56:43
#42 ]
Cult Member

@paolone

Thank you for your report. My game was originally simply called "Cyberpunk". At that time (circa 2009, well before I was involved with "The Secret of Middle City") it was just a text adventure game coded with ARexx. Years later, when CD Projekt Red announced "Cyberpunk 2077" I decided to change the name of my game exactly to avoid what you are suggesting. I wasn't aware there was another CyberSphere out there, even though mine is totally different in nature.

Anyway, thank you very much for your suggestion and your support!

Cybersphere Page

Rob 
Posted on 24-Sep-2021 16:40:44
#43 ]
Elite Member

@Rose

Quote:
Only problem with that when you give that kind of power for manufacturer credibility of review outside the faithfull will be reeeeally low.

I didn't mean giving A-EON some kind of editorial control of the videos just them being able to dictate when the videos get released. No point in the video coming out and potential customers wondering why they can't buy it 3 months later.

Trixie 
Posted on 24-Sep-2021 17:22:00
#44 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@g0blin

Quote:
I just reported the issue to the publisher asking to change "pre-order" into "buy". I confirm that the physical copies are available and ready to be shipped.

Good. Pre-orders are not popular around here, as quite a few Amiga users (me included) burnt their fingers in the past.

AmigaOne X5000/020 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
SAM440ep-flex @ 667MHz / 1GB RAM / Radeon 9250 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition

utri007 
Posted on 24-Sep-2021 21:16:32
#45 ]

@g0blin

No digital option?

Zylesea 
Posted on 25-Sep-2021 9:14:55
#46 ]
Elite Member

OS4 is dead because of several things:

Hardware avaiability and power, price/power. Things are chewed through again and again, but since I've attented a freescale seminar in 2006 (2005?, dunno, a bit after the apple switch, about 15 (!!!) ago at least) it was clear, that ppc is at it's end for general purpose computing.
it was a stupid idea to further go ppc. World has moved on but OS4 world still thinks in year 2k dimensions! We have not only left the 90ies, we are in the 20ies of the new century. Reality just went on!

No current browser. What's a system good for that has no current browser? A few years ago OWB did the job quite good, albeit te OS4 port was always the weakest. With OS4 you are not really part of the online community.

Okay if no current bowser or office then if it were at least a nive retro system. But to run emulated Amiga 68k software there are way better solutions thana slow and expensive OS4 system. OS4 fails here too...

legal fights and egos. Nothing attractive to users. at least enoght for me to avoid all involved partys. I don't like that behaviour and express my dislike by not supporting (though I release my few softwares for OS4 too - but that is for the users !) or buying products of involved companies (due to that I have not and will not buy anything from Hyperion).

Summed up there's pretty little left in the pocket. Most of the issues are also present on other Amiga systems, but on OS4 its _by far_ the worst situation. Time to move on.

Even the web forms became pretty silent over the last decade... A thread like this with about 45 replies after a few days... Telling!

BigD 
Posted on 25-Sep-2021 11:25:08
#47 ]
Elite Member

@Zylesea

I remember the Bletchley Park X1000 demo fondly and think the X5000 was released that hot weekend when we were all watching Andy Murray win his first Wimbledon. The software development never caught up though did it? Then when the Tabor drivers were inevitably delayed so was the entire hardware release! It is crazy in an age of regular Pi model releases and even a mass produced A500 Mini that the A1222 Plus is still nowhere!

BigD 
Posted on 25-Sep-2021 11:29:48
#48 ]
Elite Member

@Thread

… and now the Hyperion OS4.x OEM deal has not been renewed things have really fallen apart! No one even knows if the A1222 Plus can ship with AmigaOS anymore! Do the early adopters know what they’ve bought?

g0blin 
Posted on 25-Sep-2021 13:32:46
#49 ]
Cult Member

@utri007

Hello,
digital is ready, but it will come once all the boxes have been sold.
Cheers

Cybersphere Page

PhantomInterrogative 
Posted on 25-Sep-2021 18:17:11
#50 ]
Cult Member

@thread

I sold my SAM460 lite back in 2015. I could not play videos at an acceptable speed on the machine (this was before Radeon driver had the video acceleration enabled). I was hoping at that time to build up enough funds for an X5000. Emergencies arose as they do in life. I then hoped that the A1222 would be released, since it would be within my budget. In the years that I have waited, Vampire, Raspberry Pi accelerators, Buffee, AmigaOS 3.2, WinUAE and lots of software have reawakened my interest in 68k. OS4, if not already dead, is at death's door as people within the community lose interest.

redfox 
Posted on 25-Sep-2021 19:55:21
#51 ]
Elite Member

@g01df1sh

Getting back to the original post:

Quote:

No news on A1222 no Sams to buy on Acube site. No OS4 hardware for sale on ebay. Has hyperion court case crap finally killed PPC developement. Some feed back from Hyperion and Aeon on what the delays are would be nice

I agree with all you have written above. I have the same concerns.

However, for me, OS4 is not dead. My OS4 system continues to run fine.

I am an ordinary user, not a beta-tester or developer.

I purchased my MicroA1 motherboard years ago bundled with AmigaOS 4.0 Developer Pre-release. I built my own computer, and upgraded to every version released to the public. I am currently running AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition Update 2 (with hotfix).

I enjoy Final Writer 97, NotePad, AWeb, IBrowse, NetSurf, Orygin Web Browser, Odyssey Web Browser, PPaint, TVPaint and many other programs.

I like to tinker with ARexx and RxMUI (as well as MicroRexx, RxBGUI and ProAction).

I also run E-UAE emulation software, to use some old favourites.

AmigaOS 3.1 or AmigaOS 3.2 running on E-UAE running on AmigaOS4.

Of course, this system is very old now, but it is still fun to use.

Of course, it has not always been sweet smelling roses. There were times that I felt like an alpha tester trying to sort out why a new "fully tested" update of OS4 crashed so often on my system. There were work-arounds, sometimes rolling back certain bits and pieces to the previous version. But all in all, it has been an interesting and rewarding hobby.

---
redfox

Posted with IBrowse 2.5.5

Last edited by redfox on 25-Sep-2021 at 09:02 PM.

Troels 
Posted on 25-Sep-2021 20:42:58
#52 ]
Elite Member

For me it is dead, could be back though.

X1000 and 5000 was to expensive for most users when released. It simply was not what the market needed IMO.

But I guess sticking to PPC will alway mean to expensive, to underpowered or both

IMO we have not had a decent price/performance ratio sinde AmigaOne XE G4

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 25-Sep-2021 21:05:01
#53 ]
Elite Member

@Troels

If was not for being able to buy affordable hardware like “AmigaOne XE G4” I most likely want have taken the leap into world of X1000, I had it for many years now, it’s not really the hardware that is the problem its CFE needing update, so I can use RX graphic cards.

I think 1.8Ghz / 2Ghz will ok for most things, a few more years, the question is more are we able take advantage of the power GPU, AltiVec and so on.

I think Sam460 are pretty nice, too, not as fast but can do lot with a RX graphic card, sadly no UBOOT support there for it, I hope Acube-Systems can make more, sold out quickly last time.

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 18-Oct-2021 at 07:06 PM.

Zylesea 
Posted on 25-Sep-2021 22:32:29
#54 ]
Elite Member

@NutsAboutAmiga

Quote:

NutsAboutAmiga wrote:
@Troels

I think 1.8Ghz / 2Ghz will ok for most things, a few more years, the question is more are we able take advantage of the power GPU, AltiVec and so on.

The key is internet ability. The web becomes ever more resource hungry. on my 1.8 GHz G5 normal web browsing with wayfarer is pretty possible but too slow. The ppcs are too weak.
Sure, if we had JS JIT and harware accelerated gfx layout it would be better, but we don't have. And with the little resources we have, it's not very probable we'll get that. Jaczek is doing little wonders on MorphOs with Wayfarer (I praise him daily for that!), but also this is still limited. He cannot do all the stuff shere armys of programmers at MS or google are going. No way.
We need faster hardware and hardware where we can recycle other's work. a switch to x64 (or maybe ARM) is the only option to build a niche that will offer a real work/internet environment.

Again: A ppc system will not offer a comfortable web browsing experience on OS4. Neither the software is there (no current browser alt all) nor the required cpu grunt. A completely lost position... On MorphOS we have at least the software (wayfarer), on AROS the grunt (x64).

For working the situation is even worse: no office suite, no Zoom, no Teams. I do quite a bit of work on MorphOS with Hollywood, the old gfx programs and a few tools. But most of my today's paid work today I cannot do on Amiga (this gap received quite a boost with Corona/lock downs, as a video conference system is absoluely needed now, as is a coworking office suite (in my case that is MS Teams - not that I particularly like that program (slow, and just "oomph!") or fact, but I cannot change it w/o losing the job). My own (part time) company is still running MorphOS as main system though.

Last edited by Zylesea on 25-Sep-2021 at 10:36 PM.

Hammer 
Posted on 25-Sep-2021 23:14:31
#55 ]
Elite Member

@Zylesea

The problem with PowerPC is balkanization when there's an IBM Power 9 Raptor BlackBird (motherboard with PCIe version 4.0) bundle and AmigaOS 4.1 doesn't run on it.

In the X86 PC world, when a user buys new hardware, Windows 7/10 doesn't need to be modified for a specific CPU and HAL e.g.

1. Microsoft defines the ACPI HAL standard as part of the Design For Windows logo program and IHVs (independent hardware vendors) and Linux X86 follow it.

2. Windows 10 OEM was released before Zen 2, Zen 3, B550, and X570 chipsets.

Closed source software doesn't survive on kit-bashed PowerPC extensions and changes in the supervisor instruction set with dead ends. The requirement for AmigaOS 4.1 OEM to be specifically modified for A1222 was comical.

PS; I also use MS Teams with my work. Raptor BlackBird motherboard is not priced competitively when compared to ASUS ROG Strix X570 motherboard (with PCIe version 4.0 and ECC memory support).

Last edited by Hammer on 25-Sep-2021 at 11:26 PM.
Last edited by Hammer on 25-Sep-2021 at 11:20 PM.
Last edited by Hammer on 25-Sep-2021 at 11:18 PM.
Last edited by Hammer on 25-Sep-2021 at 11:16 PM.

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 26-Sep-2021 12:12:19
#56 ]
Elite Member

@Zylesea

Quote:
no Zoom, no Teams

Well, it’s not the JavaScript that does the decodeing of the video, or CSS layout engine, to display video, its the video codices, now we already do that by using the GPU, on AmigaOS4.1, so that is not un thinkable. But we have too old webkit as you pointed out. So its software problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X75KbnOpZhA

CSS3 has been accelerated by GL in FireFox on PC for ages now.

So at least web based version of that, we can dream about.

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 26-Sep-2021 at 12:40 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 26-Sep-2021 at 12:39 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 26-Sep-2021 at 12:14 PM.

Zylesea 
Posted on 26-Sep-2021 13:03:22
#57 ]
Elite Member

@NutsAboutAmiga

Quote:

NutsAboutAmiga wrote:
@Zylesea

CSS3 has been accelerated by GL in FireFox on PC for ages now.

Marked the important detail for you. Technically it would be possible on Amiga. but do a reality check. It will not happen. As you said, it's a dream.

Reality is different: An ancient half done port of firefox, outdated Odyssey. Far, far, far off from something current.

Dreaming is nice, but too much dreaming may lead to a severe reality distortion!

OneTimer1 
Posted on 26-Sep-2021 13:15:40
#58 ]
Cult Member

@Hammer

Quote:

... when there's an IBM Power 9 Raptor BlackBird (motherboard with PCIe version 4.0) bundle and AmigaOS 4.1 doesn't run on it. ...

The AOS4 ports where usually financed by an 'Hardware Partner' who got his shares by selling the software.

ACube (who paid the port for SAM Boads andPegasos2) has no interest in software running on an IBM board ...

It's the marketing model around AOS4 that blocked AOS4 from the start and now the development of this OS may have even shifted to AEon who might be forced calling it AeonOS4.

Rob 
Posted on 26-Sep-2021 16:22:14
#59 ]
Elite Member

@g01df1sh

Quote:
No news on A1222 no Sams to buy on Acube site

Remember that Acube were taking pre-orders for Sams back in March this year after they saw overwhelming demand for the small batch they produced last year.

cgutjahr 
Posted on 26-Sep-2021 17:46:29
#60 ]
Cult Member

@g01df1sh

OS4 died during the court case between AInc and Hyperion - most of us just didn't notice it immediately.

After that court battle, the publisher was completely broke. Many key developers were gone, OS4 got tied to completely ridiculous hardware, the OS4 partners lied to each other and (allegedly) stole from or blackmailed each other and then stopped being partners without telling their customers.

@Rob:

Quote:

A-EON need to build a a review machine packed with software that shows it off to the best of it's ability and get it to Dan and others

This thread is about OS4. A-EON does currently not have an OS4 license (and stopped using the term "AmigaOne" years ago). Please stay on topic.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle