Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
14 crawler(s) on-line.
 121 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

Rob

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Rob:  51 secs ago
 MEGA_RJ_MICAL:  16 mins ago
 t0lkien:  22 mins ago
 amigakit:  42 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  55 mins ago
 Troels:  1 hr 57 mins ago
 Gunnar:  2 hrs 12 mins ago
 zipper:  2 hrs 41 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  3 hrs 46 mins ago
 kolla:  3 hrs 58 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  MOS?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 )
PosterThread
Rob 
Re: MOS?
Posted on 7-Aug-2022 14:59:17
#141 ]
Elite Member

@Matt3k

Quote:
What is doggie wearing?

I think it's kevlar body army.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYLLq6n-w88O2LjWaiYqV8A/community?lb=UgkxOg4yFz4kqG4QycqzHgTeISu62lAZ45Qu

Profile     Report this post  
Matt3k 
Posted on 7-Aug-2022 17:08:37
#142 ]

@Rob

Daughter thinks it is very cute. She thought it was a turtle costume...

agami 
Posted on 8-Aug-2022 1:02:24
#143 ]

@Rob

Quote:

Rob wrote:
@Matt3k

Quote:
What is doggie wearing?

I think it's kevlar body army.

I think it's a couple of knee pads or elbow pads, or one of each.

Last edited by agami on 08-Aug-2022 at 01:02 AM.

cdimauro 
Posted on 8-Aug-2022 5:24:42
#144 ]
Elite Member

@Matt3k

Quote:

Matt3k wrote:
@fishy_fis

Again, given what MorphOS accomplished, I find it hard to make a firm argument that only open source is the future given where we are at today. Sure, from a hypothetical perspective the argument makes perfect sense, but I would be surprised if the latest deadwood you reference is at the same level with applications and OS as MorphOS. If it is great, I will check it out for sure but if I have to skin x86 apps to use an email client or browser, it isn't my cup of tea really...

I think that MorphOS is the most advanced Amiga-like o.s.: it has much better support from its developers and application developers. Numbers (of developers) count.

deadwood is making an incredible work, but he's alone in "assembling" AROS code to produce some distro. Unfortunately there are only 2-3 other "core" developers on AROS.

Despite that, AROS reached a good status, IMO, and you an enjoy it in some common and cheap hardware platforms.
Quote:
As I type this I realize that I like that Morphos is a 'company' and that it has an order to it. I bought the OS licenses, I go to a website to see the latest release, and they have a support mechanism to help. Since it is all controlled and centralized it just works well for me. It is a professional experience from their website to the OS itself.

Indeed and that's the (big) difference with AROS.

@Kronos

Quote:

Kronos wrote:
@cdimauro

Quote:

cdimauro wrote:

http://www.aros.org/download.php

O.k. here I find what?

From the page:
"If you are a user wanting to try AROS, please use the links in the Distributions section to download a fully-featured AROS distribution."

Then, clicking on "Distributions", you can pick one of the 5 which is listed after the text.
Quote:
5 distros of which atleast one is dead and another oudated.

From the Distribution description:
"Distributions are preconfigured, and tested, versions of AROS. They contain a lot of useful 3rd party applications that don't come with the default AROS.org binaries, and will be of great interest to users.

They often may not have the latest core system components, but should offer better stability and user-friendliness than the nightly builds. If you are a user interested in checking what AROS has to offer, you are highly recommended to use distributions, to get the most complete AROS experience."

Just check which one is the more updated and use it.
Quote:
With the rest it is bit confusing what they are/do x86/68k?

From the Icaros description on the Distribution section:
"Icaros Desktop LIVE! is a complete distribution of the AROS desktop operating system for x86 based PC's."

From AspireOS:
AspireOS is a lightweight distribution, originally designed for x86 based netbooks such as the Acer Aspire One.

From AROS Broadway:
AROS Broadway is a native AROS distribution, built for the 'ARES' Computer line. This distribution should also work on any AROS compatible PC.

From AROS Vision:
The AROS Vision distribution is targeted at real M68k Amigas.

From AROS One:
AROS One is a x86 distribution which is based on Deadwood's ABI v0 release. Additionally there's a preview of a 68k version.

So, the information was already there: it was just enough to... read it...
Quote:
Hostet, native or for a VM?

It's up to you.
Quote:
Followed 2 Nightly Builds and 2 Snapshots.

So, other choices are possible. Depends on what YOU want, of course, on which kind of user you are.
Quote:
On the contrary, you will find just 1 (public) MorphOS version and clean lists on what HW is supported and what SW is included.

Indeed.
Quote:
The hurdle might not be that high but it is there and most people just won't bother going over it.

Then why don't go with Icaros? It's the most complete, updated, and stable AROS version. It's not at the top of the list just by pure case...

OlafS25 
Posted on 8-Aug-2022 7:38:26
#145 ]
Elite Member

@Matt3k

I see your point but I also think Aros has its strength. Yes there could be more core developers, unfortunately most of the time too many experienced developers wanted to contribute to "the true AmigaOS", signed NDAs and then left the community instead to contribute to a open platform like Aros. But even if the number of developers is very limited at the moment, Deadwood is doing a great job and has a very convincing (at least to me) concept with his AxRuntime porting Aros to Linux and also the plan to make Scalos as a future Linux desktop. Mixing Aros and Linux in one distribution based on Scalos as desktop will offer new opportunities and lift Aros to a new level.

At the moment we are using and testing Scalos to make it running perfect on Aros 68k, X86 and AMD64 as first step.

Regarding asking for one distribution, yes and no. First you have different platforms, right now at least 68k and X86. Then you have different desktops with Wanderer, Scalos and Magellan. And you have a user base with different preferences. That is f.e. the reason why I am currently also working on a 68k distribution using Scalos. There are a lot of people not liking Magellan because it is not "amiga" enough. Scalos is very advanced too and at the same time more doing it the "amiga way" than Magellan. Desktop of MorphOS f.e. is more like Magellan (from what I know of) so for many people not "amiga like" enough. Having only one distribution for all not always has advantages if you want to cover as many people as possible. And there are more than one distribution creator with different preferences too. I also see that more as a strength than a weakness of aros. By that we can potentially cover much more users compared to only one official distribution. Yes it needs a little more time from users to find the best distribution for him or her but Aros is free of charge so users can test what they like and then decide. My Aros Vision on 68k is basically the idea of amikit... you have a huge software base preinstalled and preconfigured. I am no graphician so I had to use the icons that are available (mostly kens icons). I could make a huge list what I added there. My primarly version is based on a heavy configured magellan desktop. I know that there are people not liking magellan so I am currently also working on a identical scalos version (68k). Then you aldo need HDF versions (also user requests). And perhaps specific versions for Vampire and PiStorm in future. Also I will add X86 hosted versions based on Scalos in future and expecially the future linux version. Other distribution maintainers will do similar but with different optics and included software.

I see it this way... there is the 68k branch with people retro orientated wanting to use old software and perhaps play some new games. A pure fun/retro platform.

Then there is currently the so called NG platforms (AmigaOS, MorphOS and partly Aros) that is in my view today also "retro" just on different hardware because it inherited most of the limitations of the past. The operating systems are far away from what you today expect for real world use. Additionally there are the typical limitations of niche platforms like missing drivers and software.

Deadwood is currently porting Aros to Linux (including Scalos as Desktop) based on AMD64. This is what I see a real future for the platform. A mixture finally of linux and Aros based on amiga desktop (scalos) running as a real linux environment.

Also 68k line has a future running on certain real hardware and emulation.

And that you need different desktops (and because of that distributions) has to do with different users expecting different things.

As I wrote you cannot cover even most people with only one distribution. If you try that you will only interest a limited number of people. So I see it as a strength of Aros that there is not only "one official version" like on Morphos. It means flexibility.

I for example will concentrate on 68k line (retro) and future Linux version for real world use.

To recommend a distribution I would first ask what your interests are. If you want something on X86 including 68k emulation currently Icaros Desktop is most advanced.

Last edited by OlafS25 on 08-Aug-2022 at 08:18 AM.
Last edited by OlafS25 on 08-Aug-2022 at 08:16 AM.
Last edited by OlafS25 on 08-Aug-2022 at 08:10 AM.
Last edited by OlafS25 on 08-Aug-2022 at 07:48 AM.
Last edited by OlafS25 on 08-Aug-2022 at 07:45 AM.
Last edited by OlafS25 on 08-Aug-2022 at 07:40 AM.

Kronos 
Posted on 8-Aug-2022 9:26:28
#146 ]
Elite Member

@cdimauro

Thank you for making my point.

Nowhere on the site is it made clear that lcaros is the "go to" version for beginners or that Broadway has been mothballed a decade ago (at least that does seems to be the case if you visits its website).

Barely any info on why and for whom the other options exist-

Hans 
Posted on 8-Aug-2022 13:00:51
#147 ]
Elite Member

@FrenchNumberNine (a.k.a., Neuf)

Quote:
Hans has thrown the cat among the pigeons by suggesting a port to ARM would be a good idea. He has made some comments on this.

Quote:
Unfortunately Hans has already let the cat out of the bag.

Woof! I'm opposed to both bagging and throwing of cats.

Quote:
The cat is biting and scratching anybody that gets near it.

That's what you get when you speculate wildly.

Now shut up before I let the tiger out of the cage!

Hans

Matt3k 
Posted on 8-Aug-2022 18:44:11
#148 ]

@OlafS25

Appreciate you taking the time to explain the offerings.

One point I would mention based upon your comment:
"The operating systems are far away from what you today expect for real world use. Additionally there are the typical limitations of niche platforms like missing drivers and software."

I'm using MorphOS every day to run a business. Iris is a real email client that works with any modern email service. Wayfayer works with any website, using it for online banking and many other business functions and it works perfect (others use Office 365 with it, I can't stand MS so I won't), PolyOrganizer is very capable CRM you can manage and entire client base with (multi level contact/company relationship, quick search). The only program that is 68k is my finance software. So in my experience MorphOS doesn't have many limitations that every other Amiga like OSes have, believe me I tested them all trying to get a good fit for my business. This is a real world use and there is minimal difference when compared to Mac or Windows.

The other benefit is that many of the applications are still being developed and improved and are already at a very high level of functionality. Iris is up for additional work later this year to add even more functionality, as an example. The future for me is application software driven, the OS is already done, working, and polished, a tool to get work done.

Last edited by Matt3k on 08-Aug-2022 at 06:56 PM.
Last edited by Matt3k on 08-Aug-2022 at 06:53 PM.
Last edited by Matt3k on 08-Aug-2022 at 06:52 PM.
Last edited by Matt3k on 08-Aug-2022 at 06:48 PM.

cdimauro 
Posted on 8-Aug-2022 19:46:52
#149 ]
Elite Member

@Kronos

Quote:

Kronos wrote:
@cdimauro

Thank you for making my point.

Nowhere on the site is it made clear that lcaros is the "go to" version for beginners or that Broadway has been mothballed a decade ago (at least that does seems to be the case if you visits its website).

Barely any info on why and for whom the other options exist-

I beg to differ: reading the download page, as I've already reported on the previous comment, is quite easy to understand what to try.

But, as I've said, you should read it...

The only thing where I agree is about the Broadway distribution, which looks abandoned, and should be removed from the page.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle