Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
11 crawler(s) on-line.
 139 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

MickJT

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 MickJT:  1 min ago
 kiFla:  8 mins ago
 matthey:  9 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  27 mins ago
 Matt3k:  48 mins ago
 zipper:  1 hr 5 mins ago
 AmigaPapst:  1 hr 7 mins ago
 Torque:  2 hrs 3 mins ago
 Seiya:  2 hrs 33 mins ago
 amigakit:  2 hrs 40 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  Commodore Amiga Global Alliance
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 Next Page )
Poll : Commodore Amiga Global Alliance
Yes, I would Join! £30
Yes, for less
Maybe
No
Bad idea, I have a better one....
Pancakes!

PosterThread
ferrels 
Re: Commodore Amiga Global Alliance
Posted on 13-Sep-2022 20:12:14
#201 ]
Cult Member

@pixie

Yes little kitten. This is but another scam. Money has been requested by someone who hasn't even defined what they intend to deliver for said cash and doesn't even have a web site.....just a promise to send download links and popularity beyond that of the football clubs. That's the definition of scam. Being the Amiga religious zealot that you are I bet you didn't even watch that pathetic video. You just assumed it was truthful.

And why are you offended by my posts? If you think this CAGA is legitimate, send David your cash, be happy, and STFU.

Last edited by ferrels on 13-Sep-2022 at 08:14 PM.
Last edited by ferrels on 13-Sep-2022 at 08:13 PM.

Profile     Report this post  
pixie 
Posted on 13-Sep-2022 21:27:20
#202 ]
Elite Member

@ferrels
I just wonder how the tone of your posts fit with TOS of Amigaworld.net...

Rob 
Posted on 13-Sep-2022 22:22:28
#203 ]
Elite Member

@ferrels

Where do you pay?

matthey 
Posted on 13-Sep-2022 23:01:02
#204 ]
Elite Member

OlafS25 Quote:

I really cannot see how common marketing platform would really make a difference (besides that there happened too many scams in the past so there is not much trust left).

Amiga marketing focused on the Amiga history, like from a movie, should raise awareness and boost retro Amiga sales. Some Amiga products like THEA500 Mini really aren't trying to build a sustainable Amiga platform but could see the biggest benefit due to eye candy appeal, reasonable cost and simple plug and play gaming.

OlafS25 Quote:

In my view you would need a common strategy, common and competitive products, competitive in todays terms. 68k with its products is perhaps most interesting because there are new products and people perhaps remember playing with A500. "NG" is not competitive in todays terms, OS misses lots of what is now standard and modern software missing if you compare it to mainstream (and people will do that whatever people here think or say). First innovative products and then marketing (not the other way round). And why another new website (certainly done for lots of money). I do not see the sense expect spending money.

Right. I made the same point in my previous post. Attractive affordable products are needed before the marketing campaign or the horse is ahead of the carriage. The community funding marketing is suspect as it should be Amiga businesses with products. Amiga businesses fund some events and web sites but too often it seems like charity rather than marketing because their sales are so pitiful and now they may not even have a product on the market.

OlafS25 Quote:

In short: I am not interested. I will support developers directly where appropriate if they do something I like and not give money in a big fund with no control what will be done with it.

Understandable. The plan needs more transparency and the cost seems expensive considering the current state of the Amiga and the amount of funding already done by the too small of Amiga user base. Inflation is high in most nations where the Amiga was popular right now and it could get much worse this winter for Europe. There could be rioting over heating costs in Europe and rising interest rates to stem the inflation could very well result in a depression. Hug a pet doesn't cut it when it gets cold. Green energy investment usually doesn't buy as much as traditional energy investment.

SHADES 
Posted on 13-Sep-2022 23:29:23
#205 ]
Cult Member

@matthey

It all comes down to Cost.
Take the Pi for example. Zero movies, hardly any adverts, targeted at Linux tinker that was full/swamped by Arduino and others at the time etc.
So, what did it have going for it?

In order from the highest priority, down the list.

- Cost
- Standard
- Modern I/O
- Expansion
- Decent, modern graphics.

From the get go, the concept was to bring a cheap "affordable" compute platform to everyone. The goal was $50 and that was small and easy to ship/get to customers, it was going to have a standard that would continue to be provided if it was successful. It was to be developed to be low on power, small, efficient and offer opportunities to everyone on the planet who had an interest in computers and programming.

The Pi is now over $50, depending on the model however, the smart decision was to keep it as standard as they could. Every Pi design has the same GPIO for experimentation and kept compatibility from the original. Now we have Pi4 with 8GB DDR4 RAM on board and 4k decode but it's still frikken cheap if you can find one.

Making it easy to obtain, not break the bank and be supported (standard) is what got it to where it is.
Shelling out 500+ Euro to have a look at Amiga is not going to get you more interest. It's not going to get more developers either.
It's not.
It won't.
It hasn't and that's going to continue that way until it changes.

A standard cost-effective cheap platform that can be expanded, well, yes. It has a shot, just like history has shown when everyone says it won't. Why, because even if it goes no where, it hasn't broken the bank and people bought them to have a look.

What about spending $2000 Euro instead for an obscure X5000 board with a XENA chip thingo and dead PPC chip that's power hungry enough that no one is interested in using? (sure, in a pigs eye. Odds are not in your favour)
The big one is Cost. If it's cheap enough, people will have a look.
Developers will go to where the people are.
Having to support a standard also helps keep down costs for drivers etc.
Cost comes in more than just money.

Last edited by SHADES on 13-Sep-2022 at 11:36 PM.
Last edited by SHADES on 13-Sep-2022 at 11:32 PM.

agami 
Posted on 14-Sep-2022 3:57:56
#206 ]

@CAGA

matthey 
Posted on 14-Sep-2022 18:41:24
#207 ]
Elite Member

SHADES Quote:

Take the Pi for example. Zero movies, hardly any adverts, targeted at Linux tinker that was full/swamped by Arduino and others at the time etc.

Absolutely. The Raspberry Pi Foundation isn't hiding their strategy.

https://www.arm.com/blogs/blueprint/raspberry-pi-rp2040 Quote:

Designing a sub-$5 computer involves several tough decisions. Decisions such as which instruction set architecture (ISA) to use and which class of chip IP to select from within that ecosystem in order to balance price, power and performance. Then there are design and manufacturing questions: who’s going to design the system on chip (SoC) and who’s going to fabricate it?

All of these considerations dictate how useful and affordable your final product is. So when it came to selecting a chip to power our first microcontroller-class product, Raspberry Pi Pico, we knew that we needed to push that price-performance ratio harder than ever before.

It is absolutely working.

Amiga NG sales would follow that horizontal line at the bottom called zero. That's how much difference competitive products make.

The Raspberry Pi Foundation has a nice web site which is one of the plans of CAGA. It looks like it is run by the Foundation with community involvement and is quite effective. There are many interesting news, educational and project articles.

https://www.raspberrypi.com/news/from-zero-to-doom-inside-of-an-hour/
Doom on a $4 RPi Pico. Could it have been an Amiga SoC with HDMI making it a single board and a cheaper and easier project?

https://www.raspberrypi.com/news/90s-retro-tech-intel-pentium-pro-custom-pc-230/
Just a tech article about the old P6 microarchitecture being the foundation for generations of desktop computers. Is that one of the P6 architects showing up to correct the spelling of his name?

Bob Colwell Quote:

While I disagree with about 30% of this article, would you at least spell my name right? C-O-L-W-E-L-L

thanks!

https://www.raspberrypi.com/news/commodore-64-raspberry-pi-pico-emulator/
$4 Pico again but extra boards required because no video out again. Could this use an Amiga SoC?

The Raspberry Pi Foundation doesn't spend much on marketing allowing them to keep product prices low in a competitive market. The Amiga has no leadership while the PPC AmigaOS 4 zombie stumbles around endlessly. Raspberry Pi is the new Amiga even though the 68k Amiga has the technology and footprint advantage to compete here but it is ignored. Amiga is for the classes now and the Raspberry Pi is for the masses which is not the philosophy of the Amiga design which used VLSI to bring the advanced Amiga technology to the masses. The cost reduced Amiga 500 allowed the Amiga to sell to the masses. That RPi article I mentioned above is actually titled.

Raspberry Pi RP2040: Our Microcontroller for the Masses
https://www.arm.com/blogs/blueprint/raspberry-pi-rp2040

Last edited by matthey on 14-Sep-2022 at 07:40 PM.

matthey 
Posted on 14-Sep-2022 18:58:42
#208 ]
Elite Member

@agami
The peasants are restless. Do we need unionization, product boycotts, petitions, a community buyout, open rebellion? The CAGA strategy seems more like gather the peasants and sing kumbaya by the fire to boost morale while the Amiga kingdom is in chaos as the zombie elites battle for control of the Amiga corpse that rots more and more everyday.

Last edited by matthey on 14-Sep-2022 at 07:05 PM.

agami 
Posted on 15-Sep-2022 1:26:04
#209 ]

@matthey

Quote:

matthey wrote:
@agami
The peasants are restless. Do we need unionization, product boycotts, petitions, a community buyout, open rebellion?

Sign me up for Open Rebellion.

SHADES 
Posted on 15-Sep-2022 5:25:23
#210 ]
Cult Member

@matthey

I don't know why moving to an inexpensive, MODERN and easy to develop platform isn't on the radar.
Blows my mind.

No one is going to have a look at AMIGA with stupid prices unless they are a rabid fan.

I wonder how many x5000's have sold? Meh.

agami 
Posted on 15-Sep-2022 5:44:51
#211 ]

@Conspiracists

Quote:

SHADES wrote:
@matthey

I don't know why moving to an inexpensive, MODERN and easy to develop platform isn't on the radar.
Blows my mind.

No one is going to have a look at AMIGA with stupid prices unless they are a rabid fan.

I wonder how many x5000's have sold? Meh.

I know it sounds like something I would 100% say, but I assure you that @SHADES is not just a second account I use to get around bans.

@SHADES is just another Melbourne-based Amigan who is clearly intelligent, a pragmatic spender, concise interlocutor, and quite possibly easy on the eyes.

SHADES 
Posted on 15-Sep-2022 6:09:26
#212 ]
Cult Member

@agami

lol

I am me, yes.
Been here a very long time. Yes, I live in Melbourne, Australia. Also with multiple Amigas that are sadly getting used less and less.

Turrican3 
Posted on 15-Sep-2022 12:32:47
#213 ]

@SHADES

Quote:

Yup, I feel like I've been advocating for an extremely cheap Amiga platform like... forever.

I *did* want AmigaOne and the like to succeed, and it took a while for me to realize the Amiga wasn't going anywhere with that strategy.

But now I'm 100% sure - and I've been for a very long while - a Pi-like hardware is the only chance to expand the current market share (which is basically nonexistent), keep it sub-100 $/€ and just wait and see how many weeks, if not days, it takes to go 10x the AmigaOne install base.

ferrels 
Posted on 15-Sep-2022 22:12:08
#214 ]
Cult Member

@pixie

It's shocking that there are so many simpletons on this forum who are willing to throw money at some charlatan without doing even the most basic of research.

Here's David's LinkedIn profile: https://www.linkedin.com/in/david-john-pleasance-b2a76814/

The guy has literally done nothing since his departure from Commodore UK in 1995 and the departure was due to Commodore's bankruptcy.

There's literally a 20-year break in his resume after leaving Commodore before he lists any other work. He's self-described as an Entrepeneur (that's his bad spelling too by the way, not mine), Musician, and Author. He needs to add court jester to the list.

So what was he doing from 1995 to 2015? I dare say he was most likely flipping hamburgers or grooming dogs....or maybe serving a prison sentence.

Last edited by ferrels on 15-Sep-2022 at 10:16 PM.
Last edited by ferrels on 15-Sep-2022 at 10:12 PM.

SHADES 
Posted on 16-Sep-2022 2:09:33
#215 ]
Cult Member

@ferrels

Quote:

ferrels wrote:
@pixie

It's shocking that there are so many simpletons on this forum who are willing to throw money at some charlatan without doing even the most basic of research.

Here's David's LinkedIn profile: https://www.linkedin.com/in/david-john-pleasance-b2a76814/

Ergh. That's a simplistic and terse view in itself.

How is David any different from any other not-wealthy AMIGA enthusiast ?

He's allowed to explore ideas as much as anyone is and in his favour, he's well aware of the shortcomings of the AMIGA demise, having been in it first hand. He's still active in the community with a desire for AMIGA to continue to grow.

He'd be well-equipped to try avoiding going down that same bad path again, if anything.

Is the idea ok? - I see no harm.
Is it cheap? - Yep
Is there any benefit? - Possibility of uniting AMIGA into a central club and possibly garner interest. Funding for development that's club focused.

ferrels 
Posted on 16-Sep-2022 3:47:43
#216 ]
Cult Member

@SHADES

Quote:
Ergh. That's a simplistic and terse view in itself.

How is David any different from any other not-wealthy AMIGA enthusiast ?

Those "other" non-wealthy Amiga "enthusiasts" you refer to aren't proposing global alliances while asking for your money by posting pathetic videos where nothing is offered in return.

Do you even understand the terms enthusiast, charlatan/grifter, or global alliance? It appears that you don't so I will give you the benefit of the doubt by guessing that English isn't your first language.

So send him your money if you think CAGA is such a wonderful idea. And like many of the other simpletons who show up here, you'll argue in favor of this pathetic effort in order to get them to send in THEIR money, but I'm 100% you won't send any of YOUR money for the CAGA.

Last edited by ferrels on 16-Sep-2022 at 03:56 AM.
Last edited by ferrels on 16-Sep-2022 at 03:55 AM.
Last edited by ferrels on 16-Sep-2022 at 03:49 AM.
Last edited by ferrels on 16-Sep-2022 at 03:48 AM.

SHADES 
Posted on 16-Sep-2022 4:19:20
#217 ]
Cult Member

@ferrels

lol
So, maybe be less hurt by it then?
At least he's trying to do something to get it moving.
All I see is that you personally don't like him or his ideas, or many other people here for that matter.

DiscreetFX 
Posted on 16-Sep-2022 5:01:59
#218 ]
Elite Member

@SHADES

Maybe Ferris is a Vulture instead of a Vampire?

SHADES 
Posted on 16-Sep-2022 5:40:00
#219 ]
Cult Member

@DiscreetFX

He's certainly not very constructive.
That being said, he does have a point.
Some "guarantees" will need to be put in place.
Running of the club fees will also need to be determined. Very little is for free.
Something needs to be placed so that whatever club is created, doesn't become elitist again.

Only allowing the wealthy to be a part of this club is only going to divide people once again.

SHADES 
Posted on 16-Sep-2022 5:43:57
#220 ]
Cult Member

@Turrican3

Yeah. RPi is a perfect example of what can be achieved with custom hardware.
Development cost is kept down too on a standard platform.

Add-ons are plentiful too. Tons of Pi-Hat projects. Even audiofile HiFi ones.
One could be made to be an AGA graphics FPGA project, for example.

Last edited by SHADES on 16-Sep-2022 at 05:47 AM.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle