Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
20 crawler(s) on-line.
 88 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 zipper:  6 mins ago
 A1200:  17 mins ago
 vox:  31 mins ago
 Hypex:  46 mins ago
 AndreasM:  55 mins ago
 pixie:  1 hr 3 mins ago
 outlawal2:  1 hr 5 mins ago
 Allanon:  1 hr 42 mins ago
 Birbo:  2 hrs ago
 amigakit:  4 hrs 2 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Hardware
      /  Has anyone had their Xmas whishes come true by receiving their SAM460LE?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
BigD 
Re: Has anyone had their Xmas whishes come true by receiving their SAM460LE?
Posted on 8-Jan-2023 9:20:15
#21 ]
Elite Member

@Thread

Have you guys had a Christmas update on delivery of either Sam460LE or A1222 Plus machines? Or is this just another....

.... "When it's done! " ?

Last edited by BigD on 08-Jan-2023 at 09:21 AM.

Profile     Report this post  
SACC-dude 
Posted on 30-Jan-2023 7:13:39
#22 ]

@BigD

I got mine! (grin) BUT..

Thu, 19 Jan 2023
Sam460LE updates

Dear customers,

We have sent out as many boards as we could prepare.

Unfortunately, we received from our suppliers some faulty Ethernet controllers and therefore some boards failed the stress tests.
This will create a delay in the delivery of the remaining Sam460LE.

The replacement Ethernet controllers will arrive in mid-February, after Chinese New Year.
Again, we will perform our extensive testing because we would rather not release a poor product.

We apologize for yet another delay caused by companies that do not play fair.
We will keep you informed.

Thank you.
The ACube Systems Team

BigD 
Posted on 30-Jan-2023 9:14:00
#23 ]
Elite Member

@SACC-dude

Not in time for Christmas but at least it was in time for Chinese New Year!

Gebrochen 
Posted on 10-Feb-2023 15:35:36
#24 ]

Been out of the loop for a while, just to confirm,

I presume unless one pre ordered one is naturally unable to Purchase one at this point?

Cheers

EDIT :
P.S. Interesting, noticed I am unable to turn off my signature yet alone save changes? Reasons anyone?

Last edited by Gebrochen on 10-Feb-2023 at 03:54 PM.

AmiKit 12
MorphOS PowerBook G4 (which can play youtube vids)

https://blitterwolf.blogspot.com

agami 
Posted on 11-Feb-2023 0:01:27
#25 ]

@Gebrochen

Quote:
noticed I am unable to turn off my signature yet alone save changes? Reasons anyone?

Happened to me as well for a good while.
Not sure what finally did it, but I suspect it started working after I changed my password.

BigD 
Posted on 11-Feb-2023 1:29:29
#26 ]
Elite Member

@Gebrochen

Quote:
I presume unless one pre ordered one is naturally unable to Purchase one at this point?

That seems to be true. The 460EX CPU had a special last run especially for this machine pre-order (which sold out)! It is pretty much a stop gap machine that would never have been born if the A1222 Plus had not been delayed indefinitely due to the world supply issues!

Trevor's BLOG from 24th December 2022:

Quote:
The ongoing worldwide lack of integrated circuits and other electronic supply chain issues continues to delay the production of the A1222 Plus manufacturing run. One small micro-controller which costs $6.83 each in batches of 100+ is only available for delivery at the end of 2023. Although it can be purchased now from another trade supplier for the extortionate price of ~$420 each. The original A1222 board designer confirmed that he is experiencing problems with the supply of similar chip components for his current projects. The company he works for have taken to purchasing circuit boards containing the parts they need and stripping out the chips for their own prototypes. ACube and A-EON are continuing to look for alternative suppliers. Fingers crossed for luck! Watch this space.

Last edited by BigD on 11-Feb-2023 at 01:33 AM.

Rob 
Posted on 11-Feb-2023 2:01:20
#27 ]
Elite Member

@Gebrochen

There are a number of dealers that plan to stock them with some taking pre-orders. They seem to be planning to sell complete systems but seeing as you're in Austrailia you might be able to persuade them to sell just a board. That's assuming you don't mind the high price of the hardware.

https://amigaos4gaming.wordpress.com/2023/02/04/where-to-buy-amigaos-4-x-compatible-systems/

Rob 
Posted on 11-Feb-2023 2:06:20
#28 ]
Elite Member

@BigD

Quote:
It is pretty much a stop gap machine that would never have been born if the A1222 Plus had not been delayed indefinitely due to the world supply issues!

If the A1222+ hadn't been announced before it was ready, Sam460 boards would have periodically been available to buy over the past 7 years.

Gebrochen 
Posted on 11-Feb-2023 2:23:30
#29 ]

@Rob

Thank you for the handy link.

Regarding the idea of just purchasing the board instead of a complete system would actually be more enticing for most I would have thought.

Mmmm, X5000, is there a BIG noticeable difference yet between X5000/20 vs X5000/40?

I'd Imagine only once multiprocessor support comes into effect that would be noticeable but until that happens isnt it a simple case of 2ghz vs 2.4ghz in single processor mode?

Cheers

AmiKit 12

Gebrochen 
Posted on 11-Feb-2023 2:40:20
#30 ]

@BigD @Amigaworld people

Ouch, this A1222 is still a phantom I see, it's like I never left the forums and nothings changed? Lol

Literally I've been away from Amiga land when other things in Life got in the way, to come back and hear the A1222 is still being planned for release years later is actually a sad case scenario here.

Yet alone that the X5000 has been released already, and that now Aube systems is kind enough to try and help out Amiga users with a limited edition run of a board for people who may still not yet have Amiga OS4.1 FE modern gen system.....

Unfortunately I remain conflicted, as 800mhz (799) is not bad nor good, its just right for most tasks, but fails in some.

Whereas I think the 1.15ghz might be a blessing, I am still wondering if users can tell me if there is a VERY noticeable difference between 800mhz to 1.15ghz?

I suspect the difference would be more likely noticeable between 800mhz versus the 2ghz for example. Also more ram seems to help a lot of processors out there to a degree as well as ram speed.

If we were to dive in even further, anyone using a HDD for reliability concern versus SSD may make sense, but by using HDD this can technically slow a slower processor down and keep it at 100% usage for longer.

I saw a MASSIVE difference in an old 2008 Toshiba laptop, it only had a Dual core intel, I'm more AMD fan nowadays but whatever, point is, it was constantly struggling and taking a while... Randomly I changed its HDD to an SSD as I was giving it as a gift to my uncle, and figured may as well go fresh...
OMG the processor now is no longer in constant wait state at 100% usage but is now fluctuating freely between 50% to 100 % during load, read, and write times with the corresponding storage media, this case now an SSD.

Reason for adding above is clear, because I want to know if any Amiga user has experienced if their Sam 440 Flex or similar system showed IMMENSE improvement with CPU processor state when they changed from HDD to SSD or if this was purely by chance that in particular said device, aka laptop Toshiba was a one off scenario and that I cant expect any real performance improvements to the processor state on a Sam system.

Cheers

P.S. Yes I'm using CPU info whomever made this utility is a LEGEND and thank you kindly.

If only someone would create a Over clocking utility for Sam processors so I may try to push an extra 50mhz out of the processor, that'd be awesome haha (plus I'd like to once I get my original Purchase back, sam440, try to overclock that thing to a 1ghz versus its 600mhz, lol, to see how it handles it all.

AmiKit 12

Gebrochen 
Posted on 11-Feb-2023 2:42:13
#31 ]

@agami

Yeah it worked today now, I think it's because of new password rules, and I was using my old password which they wanted uses to update and change if it doesnt include a number.

Xzibit A : VioletsAreNotBlue isnt good enough unless you add a number to it, like a 9 or 3 or whatever, then it all works.

P.S. Naturally that is not my password, LOL

AmiKit 12

Spectre660 
Posted on 11-Feb-2023 14:59:56
#32 ]
Elite Member

@Rob

Maybe not.
Apparently the CPU's being used in the final Sam460 production, the Sam460le , are a special production run. so not available any more .

Quote:

Rob wrote:
@BigD

Quote:
It is pretty much a stop gap machine that would never have been born if the A1222 Plus had not been delayed indefinitely due to the world supply issues!

If the A1222+ hadn't been announced before it was ready, Sam460 boards would have periodically been available to buy over the past 7 years.

Last edited by Spectre660 on 11-Feb-2023 at 03:00 PM.

agami 
Posted on 12-Feb-2023 2:01:52
#33 ]

@Rob

Quote:
Rob wrote:
@BigD

I’m not sure which version of reality is worse:
- One in which Amiga users are fleeced with the same unchanging 1.1GHz spec board over 7 years for close to €‎1,000 a pop, or
- One in which they convince the Amiga users that a for-profit company is somehow doing them a favour by creating a bum rush for the last chance to own a piece of outdated PowerPC 1.1GHz history, for close to €‎1,000 a pop, or if you let them manage your money via a pre-order scheme, then for around €‎800.

Sans memory, storage, PSU, GPU, case, keyboard, and mouse.

I suppose a worse world would be one where Acube releases 5 boards at a time, months apart, via auction. Where Amiga users get to feel lucky that they ended up paying X5000 prices by being caught up in the Sunk-Cost dynamic, all for the warm and fuzzy feeling of beating out another bidder.
But that would only work if the A1222 were outright cancelled.

While I suspect collusion between Trevor and Enrico, I doubt they’d stoop so low.

Last edited by agami on 13-Feb-2023 at 02:29 AM.
Last edited by agami on 13-Feb-2023 at 02:28 AM.

WolfToTheMoon 
Posted on 12-Feb-2023 10:11:10
#34 ]

I've said it before and I'll say it again.

A1222 makes zero sense due to the problematic CPU. Not releasing it is really a blessing in disguise.
I don't know whose idea it was in the first place to use that CPU when Freescale/NXP had similarly priced PPC chips that did not have compatibility issues.

And on top of that... OS4 is a dying, if not already deceased OS. Any hardware bought now will very likely be a very poor investment.

Gebrochen 
Posted on 12-Feb-2023 13:31:03
#35 ]

@WolfToTheMoon

Any chance if OS4 had a decent web browser that would be constantly updated if that would even remotely make a difference regarding users?

Then I know theres the software side of things that does not really help so much.

Same time, I'm wondering if they keep selling out, how many Sams have been sold globally since the first released one back in 2008?

Like 1000 computers? 10000 computers? somewhere inbetween? MORE????

That would be an interesting statistic to know I reckon.

AmiKit 12

Hypex 
Posted on 12-Feb-2023 13:53:53
#36 ]
Elite Member

@WolfToTheMoon

Quote:
A1222 makes zero sense due to the problematic CPU. Not releasing it is really a blessing in disguise. I don't know whose idea it was in the first place to use that CPU when Freescale/NXP had similarly priced PPC chips that did not have compatibility issues.

I don't know how but I think A-EON lack a technical adviser. There are plenty of people on here, including yourself, that can see how the CPU was a real bad choice and it's as if no one warned them not to go ahead and find another more practical choice. It's almost like the PPC version of a ColdFire. Sure, it executes user code, but it's only partly compatible as FPU codes are reserved for a completely different instructions and will crash. As a hobby, the CPU was fine, for spending or wasting time writing a PPC CPU emulator for a dub mix of a PPC chip. But as a commercial product, where you reduce the cost as much as possible, nope. I actually wonder if they were advised to use it so it would profit developers because it needed extra software written to run normally.

Trixie 
Posted on 12-Feb-2023 14:41:06
#37 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@Hypex

Quote:
I don't know how but I think A-EON lack a technical adviser. There are plenty of people on here, including yourself, that can see how the CPU was a real bad choice and it's as if no one warned them not to go ahead and find another more practical choice.

I think they knew they were using a non-standard design but Hyperion told them it wouldn't be a problem. Which sadly wasn't the case, hence the endless saga. Why the P1022 was chosen in the first place I have no idea but I'd guess at cost reasons. Which, if true, would be highly ironic because what had been supposed to be a cost-effective solution ultimately turned into A-EON's most costly project.

AmigaOne X5000/020 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
SAM440ep-flex @ 667MHz / 1GB RAM / Radeon 9250 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition

Rob 
Posted on 12-Feb-2023 18:24:00
#38 ]
Elite Member

@agami

Quote:
I’m not sure which version of reality is worse: - One in which Amiga users are fleeced with the same unchanging 1.1GHz spec board over 7 years for close to €‎1,000 a pop, or

2014 prices were:

SAM460cr 1.1GHz (includes AOS4.1 FE and RadeonHD driver): e539,00
SAM460cr 1.0GHz (includes AOS4.1 FE and RadeonHD driver): e469,00
SAM460ex 1.1GHz (includes AOS4.1 FE and RadeonHD driver): e599,00
SAM460ex 1.0GHz (includes AOS4.1 FE and RadeonHD driver): e549,00

I think prices would have been pretty stable until most countries decided to tank their economies, if the LE had come earlier it would likely have cost less than the CR.

I get that you won't see those prices as being reasonable but plenty do and whenever Sam440 and 460 were availabe they always managed to sell them fairly quickly.

agami 
Posted on 13-Feb-2023 2:56:00
#39 ]

@Rob

Quote:
I get that you won't see those prices as being reasonable but plenty do and whenever Sam440 and 460 were availabe they always managed to sell them fairly quickly.

My point has less to do with price and more to do with consumer abuse.

Even at €‎500 a pop, neither version of reality is savoury because of the unchanging nature of what is being pushed onto the consumer. The willingness of the consumer does not excuse the behavior of the producer.

For example, examine the changes made to the Raspberry Pi since 2014, and feel free to adjust for inflation.
Now you’ll say, of course they improved the value proposition to the consumer. If they hadn’t, they’d get annihilated by the competition that would provide increased value.

Does the absence of competition excuse the producer for not maintaining the consumer value proposition over the past 8 years? Do we excuse intel for holding back CPU improvements from consumers during AMDs struggling years? I suppose if you’re a shareholder you would.

The professional and ethical consumer oriented position is: If the spec could not be appropriately improved since 2014, then the price should have decreased. If Acube can not make that equation work, then they should not be the AmigaOS 4 hardware business.

Hypex 
Posted on 13-Feb-2023 12:26:13
#40 ]
Elite Member

@Trixie

Quote:
I think they knew they were using a non-standard design but Hyperion told them it wouldn't be a problem. Which sadly wasn't the case, hence the endless saga. Why the P1022 was chosen in the first place I have no idea but I'd guess at cost reasons. Which, if true, would be highly ironic because what had been supposed to be a cost-effective solution ultimately turned into A-EON's most costly project.

That all looks reasonable. Unfortunate as it may be. And yes, what was saved in hardware was eventually lost in software, oh the irony.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle