Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
23 crawler(s) on-line.
 155 guest(s) on-line.
 2 member(s) on-line.

Hypex,  OlafS25

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Hypex:  52 secs ago
 OlafS25:  4 mins ago
 amigang:  16 mins ago
 matthey:  22 mins ago
 hannana:  22 mins ago
 A1200:  55 mins ago
 zipper:  56 mins ago
 Matt3k:  1 hr 1 min ago
 CosmosUnivers:  1 hr 38 mins ago
 pixie:  2 hrs 17 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4.x \ Workbench 4.x
      /  AmigaOS 4.1 on a Mac Mini G4
Register To Post

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
OneOfNine 
AmigaOS 4.1 on a Mac Mini G4
Posted on 10-Jun-2023 8:24:16
#1 ]

Hello,

I have a Mac Mini G4 (PowerPC). Since I miss the Amiga feeling and MorphOS doesn't appeal to me, I wanted to ask if there will be a Mac Mini version of AmigaOS 4.1 in the future? You can get a Mac Mini for little money at ebay and the PowerPC boards, where AmigaOS 4.1 is supported, are not really cheap.

Profile     Report this post  
kolla 
Re: AmigaOS 4.1 on a Mac Mini G4
Posted on 10-Jun-2023 8:43:16
#2 ]
Elite Member

@OneOfNine

There was, in the past, the bootloader named Moana.

But since it made total sense and had great promise, it was deemed illegal and the project shut down.

(one of the many things that could change if Cloanto ends up on top of things)

rzookol 
Posted on 10-Jun-2023 18:25:01
#3 ]

... and works only on Macmini G4 1.5 (silent update)

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 10-Jun-2023 18:27:11
#4 ]
Elite Member

@OneOfNine

maybe try QEMU with KVM enabled linux kernel

pavlor 
Posted on 11-Jun-2023 8:06:27
#5 ]
Elite Member

@OneOfNine

QEMU or WinUAE (with all their limitations) are probably the best entry into the OS4 world.

OneOfNine 
Posted on 12-Jun-2023 12:30:43
#6 ]

I don't know what should be illegal about it. Windows 11 is also made to run on PCs that do not meet the system requirements. I have already written an email to Hyperion Entertainment and have not received a response. I also have a Mac Mini G4 (1.5 GHz) with Silent Upgrade.

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 12-Jun-2023 12:39:00
#7 ]
Elite Member

@OneOfNine

Quote:
Windows 11 is also made to run on PCs that do not meet the system requirements.

thats news to me, how?

it can only work if you have
sound drivers, sata / ide / scsi drivers, video drivers.
and support the firmware.

Its lot of work for something that’s old and outdated.
And I believe there is slight differences between the MacMini models.

I tried MorphOS on MacMini G4, it was a disappointing experience as it had no overlay support, and it was not like can just plug in a different graphics card. So the video playback was slow, even slower than on MacOSX.

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 12-Jun-2023 at 01:03 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 12-Jun-2023 at 12:49 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 12-Jun-2023 at 12:46 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 12-Jun-2023 at 12:44 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 12-Jun-2023 at 12:42 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 12-Jun-2023 at 12:41 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 12-Jun-2023 at 12:39 PM.

rzookol 
Posted on 12-Jun-2023 13:23:32
#8 ]

@NutsAboutAmiga

MorphOS has overlay support for Radeon9200 in Mac Mini. MacMini 1.42 and 1.5 GHz allows to watch 720p h264

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 12-Jun-2023 14:08:45
#9 ]
Elite Member

@rzookol

It was few years ago, maybe its implemented in meantime or maybe it was a different graphic card, it was my dad’s computers, so I can’t check.

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 12-Jun-2023 at 02:12 PM.

jPV 
Posted on 12-Jun-2023 16:09:15
#10 ]
Cult Member

@NutsAboutAmiga

Quote:

NutsAboutAmiga wrote:
@rzookol

It was few years ago, maybe its implemented in meantime or maybe it was a different graphic card, it was my dad’s computers, so I can’t check.

I think it's been there "always", even before Mac mini support. I'm pretty sure I watched videos in overlay mode on Peg1/R9200 before Mac mini support came...

Maybe you've had wrong video driver in config, not overlay one? And it definitely plays better than OSX.

Livebyfaith 
Posted on 12-Jun-2023 16:52:36
#11 ]

@OneOfNine

I used Amiga Forever (WInUAE) to run OS4.1 fairly well and inexpensively on an old HP with an i7 @ 3.0 ghz. I ran that for a few years. I think that is a good way to get a feel for it. I also tried MorphOs , on my G5 Mac Pro, but it just doesn't do it for me. I'll keep using it, but I just keep coming back to OS4. So eventually I really wanted to be able to do as much as I can do on an Amiga daily, so I just went for an AmigaOne X5000, which I just got about a month ago.

I know it is expensive, but not much more than I would pay for a new Mac or highend PC. But I can tell you price aside, I love it. It is much better than emulating it. I am more impressed with my machine than I thought I would be. OS4 shines on dedicated hardware.

I recently saw some newer lowend systems available for OS4, got me thinking about getting a second OS4 system, but that might be a good way for you to try it as well. Worse case scenarion, you could probably turn around and sell it later for good money. Amigas seem to keep their value! :)

Anyway, just thought I would share my excitement and experience with you and to encourage you try OS4 one way or another.

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 12-Jun-2023 17:36:42
#12 ]
Elite Member

@jPV

I won’t exclude that as a possibly, “using the wrong driver”, I only installed MorphOS from the CD, and did noting else.

kolla 
Posted on 13-Jun-2023 2:57:30
#13 ]
Elite Member

@OneOfNine

Quote:
I have already written an email to Hyperion Entertainment and have not received a response.

How cute!!

jPV 
Posted on 13-Jun-2023 6:24:19
#14 ]
Cult Member

@NutsAboutAmiga

Quote:

NutsAboutAmiga wrote:
@jPV

I won’t exclude that as a possibly, “using the wrong driver”, I only installed MorphOS from the CD, and did noting else.

There isn't a video player bundled in MorphOS, so you must have done something else too to get videos to play at all.

Maybe you have installed MPlayer, maybe VLC, but both have options to play either with overlay (accelerated) or WPA (non accelerated) video drivers. I don't remember which drivers are used by default in the players.

agami 
Posted on 13-Jun-2023 9:30:51
#15 ]

@Livebyfaith

Quote:
Anyway, just thought I would share my excitement and experience with you and to encourage you try OS4 one way or another.

It's a good thing I've grown past the phase where I buy a tool and then invent ways I could use it. Mostly because I can't afford such behavior.

Maybe when I'm a millionaire, I'll throw money around without giving it much thought. Until then, for me it's about having a specific need for a tool, and then purchasing the best option of that tool that fits my budget.

Just last week, I ordered a new M2 Mac mini to replace my aging intel version which can't even run the latest macOS version. I spec'ed it with 1TB storage, 24Gb RAM, 10GbE, and an external Thunderbolt 4 hub/enclosure from OWC to store an additional existing 3.5" HDD and 2TB NVMe SSD. I probably spent on it close to what an X5000 desktop would cost me.

But I didn't buy the new Mac mini to "use" macOS Ventura. I bought it to run the Microsoft Office suite with OneDrive and SharePoint integration, edit RAW photos and manage my photo library, get free access to excellent cloud syncing apps that work in conjunction with my iPad Pro and iPhone, e.g. Pages, Numbers, Keynote, Freeform, Reminders, Notes, Calendar. To sync my personal project files and data with my Nextcloud server. To be able to attend remote meetings with Zoom, and Teams, to collaborate with project teams via Slack, to edit my drone footage with iMovie, import and edit my 360-degree videos from my Garmin VIRB camera, edit and sign PDF documents, browse the full web with Firefox, etc.

If I could do even half of those things with apps running on AmigaOS 4.x or even MorphOS 3.x as effectively as I do them with apps on macOS, then I could justify the price of the X5000 et al.

OneOfNine 
Posted on 13-Jun-2023 10:26:58
#16 ]

@Livebyfaith

Hi,

I have Amiga Forever (WinUAE) on a PC with Ryzen 5 3400 CPU and it is not very fast. Ok, I will soon replace the CPU with a Ryzen 9 5900X. The memory is also very limited. Available is 32 GB of memory, but OS 4.1 will not start if I use more than 512 MB for OS 4.1. Timberwolf therefore also does not start, not to mention the problems with the TTF fonts that have to be re-read over and over again. Therefore the best way would be a native OS4.1 version for the Mac Mini.

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 13-Jun-2023 12:35:22
#17 ]
Elite Member

@jPV

Sure, I downloaded some programs, but did not configure or change much in MorphOS, like install different drivers or ask on the forums.

I only visited my dad, one day. He now owns an Intel Mac Mini the old mac mini PPC was not used much, so we tried installing MorphOS out of curiosity, so only messed around with it for few hours.

So what tried was web browsing on YouTube, download a film to play it etc.

I think he had installed for short time, because MorphOS slows down under trial period, after a short time, it was quickly concluded this was not something for my dad.

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 13-Jun-2023 at 12:46 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 13-Jun-2023 at 12:39 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 13-Jun-2023 at 12:37 PM.

Livebyfaith 
Posted on 13-Jun-2023 15:15:16
#18 ]

@OneOfNine

Yeah, I never could get Timberwolf to run, but Odyssey runs pretty well on my emulated OS4 machine and even better on my X5000. Odyssey works for most websites like Facebook (mobile), outlook, gmail, and others. It will even play youtube videos, but I haven't had luck with loading the youtube homepage though. But even you just put the url in or click an embedded video it will play.

It would be great if we could run OS4 natively on old Mac hardware, I wold have been doing so a long time ago if it were available. But from my experience OS4 emulated on my PC was faster and more useable than MorphOS on my PowerMac G5 at 1.8ghz and a Radeon 9600.

It was a while ago that I setup my OS4 emulation environment and I can't remember exactly how much ram I got working, but I am pretty sure it was more than 512. But there is information on how to do it on Amiga Forever's website, I was not ever able to get as much as they say to work without losing functionality. I think the ethernet wouldn't work if you use too much zorro ram.

Here is a link to their instructions:
https://www.amigaforever.com/kb/16-127

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 13-Jun-2023 22:01:22
#19 ]
Elite Member

@Livebyfaith

Quote:
But from my experience OS4 emulated on my PC was faster and more useable than MorphOS on my PowerMac G5 at 1.8ghz and a Radeon 9600.

That sounds extremely strange to me. But it seems to be not as strate forward as we lead to believe. Did you remeber to register MorphOS?

In particularly WinUAE last time I tried it was pretty slow and sluggish…
but latest QEMU videos I have been seeing is impressive, on M1/M2 CPUS, but also AMD RYZEN seams to doing well, it definitely makes me want to consider buying a laptop for AmigaOS4 emulation, so I can sit in the sun, instead sitting inside in the summer.

Anyhow I'm trying to cut down on my screen time, to get other things done, like staying shape, and getting some work done around my apartment.

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 13-Jun-2023 at 10:07 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 13-Jun-2023 at 10:05 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 13-Jun-2023 at 10:04 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 13-Jun-2023 at 10:02 PM.

Livebyfaith 
Posted on 14-Jun-2023 5:47:20
#20 ]

@NutsAboutAmiga

I will gladly accept any blame if I did not set it up correctly, as I admit that I am far from an expert. It is just my own experience and I am not trying to say that it will be everyone's experience. I do have a registered copy of MorphOs 3.18, have had it since 3.15.

I have a G5 PowerMac with 2 processors running at 1.8Ghz, I can't remember how much physical ram is in the system, but it only recognizes 1.5 gb I think. I also have a Radeon 9600 in the system. I plan to use it, but even before I got my X5000, I had decided that MorphOS was too sluggish on my machine for me to use on a daily basis. While OS4 just simply worked better under emulation for me. My OS4 install was on a i7 2600k, 16gb ram, and a radeon 240.

I hope I did set it up wrong, so I can fix it and have a nice MorphOs system sitting next to my Windows, Mac, and Amiga.

As for laptops, I have not found OS4 to be as useable on older hardware. The best setup I had was running OS4 on a Surface Pro 6 with an i5 at 1.5 Ghz (I think), 16GB ram, and Intel graphics. It was useable, but the screen was too difficult to see unless it was docked, which defeated the pupose of a laptop.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle