Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
5 crawler(s) on-line.
 81 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 kriz:  6 mins ago
 matthey:  18 mins ago
 pavlor:  19 mins ago
 amig_os:  52 mins ago
 OlafS25:  57 mins ago
 Seiya:  1 hr 12 mins ago
 amigatronics:  1 hr 45 mins ago
 zipper:  1 hr 46 mins ago
 amigakit:  2 hrs 26 mins ago
 clint:  2 hrs 38 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Hardware
      /  Guide for New A1222 Users
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
eliyahu 
Re: Guide for New A1222 Users
Posted on 17-Jul-2023 11:22:34
#21 ]

@fairlanefastback

Thank you very much for your kind comments. Waterbury is still here, slowly recovering from an economic downturn decades ago with the closure of the local brass factories. You're always welcome to return for a visit!

@thread

Many thanks to David Brunet who has very kindly translated the A1222 guide into the French language. It can now be read as a single document over at Obligement: http://obligement.free.fr/articles/a1222_guide_demarrage_rapide.php

-- eliyahu

Last edited by eliyahu on 27-Jul-2023 at 01:50 PM.
Last edited by eliyahu on 17-Jul-2023 at 11:33 AM.

Profile     Report this post  
number6 
Posted on 19-Jul-2023 22:57:22
#22 ]
Elite Member

@fairlanefastback

Good grief! I haven't seen you since back in the days of Amiga Center at Kent. heh.

What have you been up to?

Since I see a "moderator" tag, I assume you've contracted some disease that makes you think being mod is a good thing?

This should strike a chord with you as well:
Quote:
Writ Media Group Inc
0.0063 USD

Last edited by number6 on 19-Jul-2023 at 11:03 PM.

Templario 
Posted on 20-Jul-2023 12:36:05
#23 ]
Elite Member

@eliyahu
Interesting guide and I lke the dedicated section of people that who fiercerly criticized to the proyect, I remember one that in this forum criticized and even insulted to people around the world and the people that speak or ask about the project, and the worst was the poeple laughing funny and cheering him up.

eliyahu 
Posted on 20-Jul-2023 16:00:56
#24 ]

@Templario

It's not perfect by any means, but it's not terrible. Consumers will make their choice one way or another. I just wanted people to know what the *actual* experience was like.

-- eliyahu

redfox 
Posted on 21-Jul-2023 1:10:19
#25 ]
Elite Member

@eliyahu

Thank you for writing your excellent Guide for New A1222 Users and providing links to videos.

redfox

Hammer 
Posted on 21-Jul-2023 5:53:54
#26 ]
Elite Member

@eliyahu

Quote:

eliyahu wrote:
@Rob

Thanks for the suggestion. My installation doesn't have a Programfiles drawer, so I found the old CD and did a re-install, this time selecting the 68020 version. And it works! I still get the same damned freeze on occasion when bringing up the information window, but otherwise it seems to work fine. I'll probably play around and see how good/bad raytracing time is. I don't expect it will be brilliant, but the only time I open Cinema4D is to view other people's work anyway.

I'll update The Guide based on this. Thank you!

-- eliyahu

Have you tried Quake 68K complied for FPU-less 68LC060? Which build version of Quake i.e. PPC or 68K?

It should be powerful enough to brute force Quake 68LC060 build.

Last edited by Hammer on 21-Jul-2023 at 12:10 PM.

DiscreetFX 
Posted on 21-Jul-2023 6:42:16
#27 ]
Elite Member

@eliyahu

Great guide, thank you for all your heard work creating this.

Templario 
Posted on 21-Jul-2023 10:46:51
#28 ]
Elite Member

@eliyahu
I understand that to avoid problems you can't write the name of all these trolls, also we get the advertising that they want, but this shows the damage that trolls do to the Amiga's hobby, because it is one thing to be angry with a person for a bad move that they make to you and another is to see how garbage has been dumped against people and companies in this and other forums.

eliyahu 
Posted on 21-Jul-2023 12:41:54
#29 ]

@Templario

I agree on that score. I do my best to simply ignore them, but AWN has effectively turned into Moobunny at this point. I always try to point people genuinely interested in our platform over to amigans.net for next-generation and either EAB or amiga.org for 68K.

This site is basically the same ten people who post in every thread related to AOS4 and derail it. I don't get their obsession, but I can just ignore them all the same. Just scroll past their posts.

-- eliyahu

Karlos 
Posted on 21-Jul-2023 12:47:31
#30 ]
Elite Member
From: As-sassin-aaate! As-sassin-aaate! Ooh! We forgot the ammunition!

@eliyahu

This site is like moobunny? That's a bit of an exaggeration, to say the least.

Templario 
Posted on 23-Jul-2023 8:56:45
#31 ]
Elite Member

@eliyahu
It's not an obsession, but basically you already know the problems that have occurred in this forum. And I prefer not to speak because now they have disappeared.

Hammer 
Posted on 26-Jul-2023 14:58:42
#32 ]
Elite Member

@eliyahu

Quote:

eliyahu wrote:
@Templario

I agree on that score. I do my best to simply ignore them, but AWN has effectively turned into Moobunny at this point. I always try to point people genuinely interested in our platform over to amigans.net for next-generation and either EAB or amiga.org for 68K.

This site is basically the same ten people who post in every thread related to AOS4 and derail it. I don't get their obsession, but I can just ignore them all the same. Just scroll past their posts.

-- Eliyahu

It's A-EON OS V54. a.k.a. Enhancer Software Release V54.

There's an unresolved issue between Hyperion and Enhancer Software V54 camps.

There's a fork between the two camps that is detailed in http://www.amiga-news.de/en/news/AN-2022-10-00104-EN.html

The news link also revealed multi-CPU support improvements via the amiwest2022 presentation. http://www.amiga-news.de/pics/amiwest2022/solie_03.png

Last edited by Hammer on 26-Jul-2023 at 03:09 PM.
Last edited by Hammer on 26-Jul-2023 at 03:08 PM.
Last edited by Hammer on 26-Jul-2023 at 03:03 PM.
Last edited by Hammer on 26-Jul-2023 at 03:00 PM.
Last edited by Hammer on 26-Jul-2023 at 02:59 PM.

BigD 
Posted on 26-Jul-2023 18:48:23
#33 ]
Elite Member

@Hammer

Old news! Has anyone seen a demo of this? I'm sure 6 to 9 months from the announcement would basically bring us up to now wouldn't it?!

Hammer 
Posted on 27-Jul-2023 4:08:58
#34 ]
Elite Member

@BigD

Quote:

BigD wrote:
@Hammer

Old news! Has anyone seen a demo of this? I'm sure 6 to 9 months from the announcement would basically bring us up to now wouldn't it?!

I wasn't fully aware of the "bootable self-contained" extent of A-Eon OS V54 until recently, but I was aware of A-Eon's Enhancer Software due to aftermarket AMIStore install on my WinUAE's classic AmigaOS 4.1 FE Up2 installation.

The other camp has up to four available CPUs.

eliyahu 
Posted on 27-Jul-2023 13:48:33
#35 ]

@thread

You folks might enjoy a couple of recent videos by Daniel Muessner comparing performance of LTE emulated code and SPE-native code with his games on YouTube:

Tower 57: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWQ4Rufa2wE
Battle Squadrons: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVzDqBawSJQ

-- eliyahu

OldAmigan 
Posted on 29-Jul-2023 22:21:19
#36 ]
Cult Member

@eliyahu

I've just watched both of those vids, and I'm quite impressed with what I see.

I have to say I'm on the Early Adopters list and I suppose the negativity of the naysayers has been getting to me and I have been swithering whether to go ahead and buy, or not.

However, reading your excellent guide and watching these two youtube vids has firmed up my resolve - I'm definitely going for one.

The naysayers will only ever complain, even though they wouldn't ever be likely to buy one anyway, so their opinions aren't worth a light in any case.

Thanks for your guide and for posting about the vids.

Fred

AmigaOne and OS4.1
Mac LCII, G4 Powermac running OSX + Amigakit and MorphOS 3.0
Dell Mini 10 Netbook running IcAros and AmigaForever+Amikit+AmigaSys
2006 Macb

eliyahu 
Posted on 30-Jul-2023 16:05:57
#37 ]

@OldAmigan

Thank you for the kind words! It isn't perfect by any measure, and I suspect there will be teething problems early on just like with every NG Amiga, but it will end up a nice little machine. My suggestion to folks is always -- if you can -- travel to an Amiga show or user group meeting where someone has one available to try before you buy; that's always best. Plus it's always a good time.

Whatever you decide keep up the Amiga spirit. 68K, NG, AROS, whatever, don't let the nay-sayers get to you. This hobby is supposed to be fun!

-- eliyahu

Hammer 
Posted on 3-Aug-2023 14:24:56
#38 ]
Elite Member

@eliyahu

Dän Bänän censors posts against his narrative i.e. can't handle the truth despite citing NXP e500v2 documents.

Last edited by Hammer on 03-Aug-2023 at 02:26 PM.

manga303 
Posted on 4-Aug-2023 0:06:33
#39 ]

Firstly, I am glad there is new Amiga hardware and that people are risking time/money to make new boards. I have already bought OS4.1 for emulation and would be very interested in a new Amiga. It looks like a real alternative OS like MacOS/Windows then Linux and AmigaOS4. I mean seriously think about it. It is not "just like that" to create a full OS with only a fraction of the resources of the big ones. The same goes for hardware, x86, x64 and Arm are the standards and nobody dares to try and make something different.

We can be really happy and proud that there are people who invest, code, create, build new Amiga hardware / software. I think "the problem" for most people, including myself, is the price and the secret underground behaviour. We need to be much more transparent about the hardware, why it costs what it can run, what doesn't work and who it's for.

Like I find almost no real infos, OK if you say "this Amiga is for freaks and geeks" I can live with that, but I only see youtube videos of people sitting in front of an Amiga OS screen and talking about there life or upcoming things... or they start games. Where is the information on programming, shell, telnet, remote server control via shell, ssh etc. if it is for geeks?

secondly i could get with the price if i would know what i am getting, ok i understand that people get upset that youtube does not work, movies do not work etc.. BUT do you think that people are going to be any happier if they have to buy such an expensive card to find out what is working and what is not? If youtube wont work then say so and people can choose themselves to invest in this hobby. like i can live without youtube on amiga, i own a mobile phone for all that.

Dont get me wrong, i dont hate new Amigas. I just say the marketing is weird, like the Vampire guys, they did so much information, feedback etc and people dont get stressed to pay 500-600euros for a Vampire. The Amiga One is like: Only a few insiders know something, the rest can ask the magic ball. On the other hand people cry: There is no market for this product. Well, a secret, hidden, behind doors product has no market. That is true.

I understand that the Amiga scene has a lot of "mixed" feelings (also known as hate) towards anything that is not a 68000 Amiga binary. What I do not understand is that the C64 scene takes everything new and celebrates it like hell. Useless or not, they celebrate it. You just have to endure this negative reaction and do your thing if you want to make the Amiga One a real product. How can potential buyers be sure to invest if not even someone from the top is 100% behind it?

Well just my opinion about all that...hate me or tell me im all wrong, its just my opinion! maybe there is many many information about the 1222 and i couldnt find it till now BUT its my opinion as a potential buyer, ask yourself why is it so hard for me to find this information!

klx300r 
Posted on 4-Aug-2023 2:28:43
#40 ]
Elite Member

@fairlanefastback

Holy crap welcome back haven't seen you or ANY 'moderator' here in a very VERY long time

mancave-ramblings
X1000 I BELIEVE

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle