Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
9 crawler(s) on-line.
 51 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 matthey:  1 hr 7 mins ago
 Cammy:  1 hr 10 mins ago
 gryfon:  1 hr 30 mins ago
 Hammer:  2 hrs 12 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  2 hrs 18 mins ago
 Beajar:  3 hrs 12 mins ago
 Matt3k:  4 hrs 46 mins ago
 danwood:  4 hrs 57 mins ago
 zipper:  6 hrs 36 mins ago
 Tuxedo:  7 hrs 9 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga News & Events
      /  AMIGA Name bought by Commodore!
Register To Post

PosterThread
T-J 
Re: AMIGA Name bought by Commodore!
Posted on 16-Sep-2010 23:33:37
#1 ]
Cult Member

@BigBenTheAussie

Quote:
WTH? How the hell is that our problem???? They don't even want to port to x86. What you seem to be suggesting is like paying Microsoft a huge sum up front just for the honour of them being able to sell Windows to us?

If you read my suggestion, you'd have noticed that I am actually not hugely bothered about an x86 port of OS4. What I really want to see is C=USA pointing computing enthusiasts interested in a machine that is in the tradition of the A4000, ie, an enthusiasts box, towards the X1000 while keeping the customers interested in a machine in the A500 tradition, that is, a gaming machine, to themselves.

You wouldn't lose any customers, because the enthusiasts won't buy your PCs and the gamers won't buy the X1000. But it would make the community more content to know that the custom hardware AmigaOne running AmigaOS isn't going to be drowned out in the advertising kerfuffle surrounding your CommodoreAmiga machines.

Those are my selfish goals. Your side benefits in that it can point to its promotion of the X1000 for enthusiasts and say 'look, we're supporting the original products' continuation! Aren't we good?'. This is something Acorn (2006) failed to do. The tech media took a rather negative view of that and look where they are now. Their company is dissolved and their x86 RISCOS-less PCs are regarded by their financial backers as a big mistake.

Quote:
You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink.

Clearly.

@elatour

Sorry, the events you're talking about rather pre-date my interest in computers. Like I said, I'm new around here. Anyway, here and now the way I see it, there are little companies doing work having their parades rained on by the money men. I kept my 'little companies' comment vague, because I wanted to include the other Amiga-likes - CommodoreUSA's 'Commodore-Amiga' PCs and their big advertising budget will pull the limelight away from all of them.

Last edited by T-J on 16-Sep-2010 at 11:39 PM.

Profile     Report this post  
 Top | Parent

Replies
SubjectPosterDate
      Re: AMIGA Name bought by Commodore!elatour17-Sep-2010 3:56:22

PosterThread
terminills 
Re: AMIGA Name bought by Commodore!
Posted on 17-Sep-2010 1:25:11
#1 ]
AROS Core Developer

@eliyahu

Quote:
rabid fandom only apple can dream of when AROS users can start talking about it being supported by commodore: 'AROS IS THE OFFICIAL AMIGA OS! OMG! OMG! THE REEL AMIGA HAS RETURND!!11!' you know, that kind of nonsense.

And what Aros fans have done that yet? Maybe a couple of x86 fans have. but I don't recall seeing any Aros fans. Many of us don't care about the name at all.

"AROS is prolly illegal ~ Evert Carton" intentionally quoted out of context for dramatic effect

Profile     Report this post  
 Top | Parent

Replies
SubjectPosterDate
      Re: AMIGA Name bought by Commodore!eliyahu17-Sep-2010 1:36:43
          Re: AMIGA Name bought by Commodore!nrj120017-Sep-2010 1:41:22

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle