Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
38 crawler(s) on-line.
 45 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 NutsAboutAmiga:  17 mins ago
 Gunnar:  24 mins ago
 t0lkien:  26 mins ago
 retrofaza:  57 mins ago
 Rob:  1 hr 4 mins ago
 pixie:  1 hr 35 mins ago
 OlafS25:  1 hr 41 mins ago
 MarcioD:  2 hrs 8 mins ago
 kolla:  2 hrs 17 mins ago
 gryfon:  2 hrs 39 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  General Technology (No Console Threads)
      /  EFIKA, interviews, a future, etc.
Register To Post

PosterThread
Kronos 
Re: EFIKA, interviews, a future, etc.
Posted on 7-Sep-2006 15:42:54
#1 ]
Elite Member

@Jorge
Just because something was good when C= had competive HW and millions of costumers 15 years ago, or is still good when Apple has competive HW and millions of costumers today, doesn't mean it's a good idea for an obscure OS without competive HW and a potential user-base ranging in th lower 4digits ......

Heck, even the guys from Hyperion are on record for complaining bout that licence from while to while.

Profile     Report this post  
 Top | Parent

Replies
SubjectPosterDate
      Re: EFIKA, interviews, a future, etc.Jorge7-Sep-2006 17:13:53
          Re: EFIKA, interviews, a future, etc.pixie7-Sep-2006 21:02:07
              Re: EFIKA, interviews, a future, etc.8-Sep-2006 4:16:31
                  Re: EFIKA, interviews, a future, etc.opi8-Sep-2006 9:30:40
                      Re: EFIKA, interviews, a future, etc.polka.8-Sep-2006 10:06:55
                          Re: EFIKA, interviews, a future, etc.brotheris8-Sep-2006 11:08:39
                  Re: EFIKA, interviews, a future, etc.pixie8-Sep-2006 10:43:40

PosterThread
jorkany 
Re: EFIKA, interviews, a future, etc.
Posted on 7-Sep-2006 15:49:34
#1 ]
Cult Member

@Jorge
Quote:
So could (e.g.) MacOS (on both, x86 and PPC). And ? Doesn't mean its gonna happen.
I agree completely!

Quote:
Still, AmigaOS (like MacOS) is a propietary OS owned by a commercial company and thus their soleley proerty. Like it or not, they can do what ever they want with it.
I never said they couldn't, I don't think Seehund did either. If they want to further denigrate the once respectable Amiga name, then they paid for the right to do so. What is disturbing is that some people seem eager to support them in doing so.

Quote:
Also, I doubt that the only reason why AmigaOS did not run on any other (non Commodore) HW is the technical reason alone. Commodore in its late days was stripping the OS from it's HW dependecies already, the Actuiator Design (or however that is spelled) was a modular design running the AmigaOS. It simply did never materialize,
Yes, a hardware independant AOS never materlized, so it was never an issue. Commodore died off before it ever got to that point. OS4 is supposedly (according to Hyperion) hardware independant, so now it is an issue.

Quote:
Fact is, they owned it and decided what to do with the OS. The AmigaOS was never free. I think that what DoodooHead tried to express. Sure, if you do not want to understand that fact, you can turn it around until you have an interpretation which suits you best. Go ahead.

I agree that AOS has never been free. What's odd is that people like DoodooHead think that is an advantage, when there is overwhelming imperical evidence that indicates otherwise. OS4's fate is firmly tied to a company that Hyperion and Amiga Inc. have no controlling interest in. That is significantly different from the situation with Commodore.

However, given the AmigaOne Partners lack of initiative to try to do anything about the situation, I have no problems with watching OS4 circle the drain while we enjoy these academic arguments. I think several others feel the same way.

Profile     Report this post  
 Top | Parent

Replies
SubjectPosterDate
      Re: EFIKA, interviews, a future, etc.Jorge7-Sep-2006 17:06:22

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle