Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
7 crawler(s) on-line.
 62 guest(s) on-line.
 3 member(s) on-line.

OneTimer1,  matthey,  Tpod

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 OneTimer1:  4 secs ago
 Tpod:  2 mins ago
 matthey:  3 mins ago
 amigakit:  10 mins ago
 Lou:  25 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  37 mins ago
 Futaura:  1 hr 33 mins ago
 A1200:  1 hr 43 mins ago
 fatbob_gb:  1 hr 57 mins ago
 Karlos:  2 hrs 23 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  General Technology (No Console Threads)
      /  Momentum PPC 970 eval board
Register To Post

PosterThread
digitaldisaster 
Re: Momentum PPC 970 eval board
Posted on 9-Aug-2004 22:27:40
#1 ]
Cult Member

@Bobsonsirjonny

The idea of selling at cost is that everyone would be entitled to ONE board at the cost of producing+shipping etc. after that they would ahve to pay normal rates. Also bulk orders such as those by companies would not be eligable for purchasing a board at cost. This is simply an idea to help get people back into the Amiga community and I don't yet know if it is plausable, I got some half cock answer back from momentum about costs of producing the board and haven't beena ble to replky yet as I have been away (again - I am still away now but I've managed fto grab a computer) and my new monitor (20" SGI) doesn't have a cable for teh VGA poirt and I am still awiting for it to be delivered so in the mean time I ahve had to use either my SGI octane which doesn't want to work with the internet or my windows XP machine which is so god damn slow and can't post on here because of the firewall :S

Profile     Report this post  
 Top | Parent

PosterThread
BrianK 
Re: Momentum PPC 970 eval board
Posted on 5-Aug-2004 15:25:24
#1 ]
Elite Member

@Bobsonsirjonny

Quote:

Exactly - people should be allowed to reap the benefits of what they sow.

What has Eyetech sowed? The AmigaOne is one of the answers. However, Eyetech has sowed some other things too. They allowed the Amiga to come back to market by R&D, manufacturing relationships, creating a sales channel, supplying vendors, supporting vendors and end users, and giving presentations on what a great thing their product is. These factors all go into the AmigaOne cost.

The AmigaOne market needs to pull in current and old Amiga users but to be truly profitable you need new users. New users look at a variety of factors one of these is price / performance ratio of the system. The AmigaOne isn't the best value of this ratio today. It's not horrid but it will probably be a horrid value in 2-3 years. Thus, someone, hopefully Eyetech, will make the next generation PPC Amiga. Thus, there's a limitation to how long they have to reap the benefits of what they have sowed.

Digitaldisaster has offered to do the R&D work if enough Amiga users will cover the costs of the R&D system. Digitaldisaster also offered to provide the working R&Ded system to the manufacturing company. Thus, we've removed the future vendor of the AmigaG5 system from having to incurr much of the R&D costs. They don't have to buy a test system and they don't have to pay salaries of the employees.

Now if Eyetech was to step up to the plate and realize that besides R&D costs the other things sowed by them 'manufacturing relationships, creating a sales channel, supplying vendors, supporting vendors and end users, and giving presentations ' could be useful. They could make a larger profit off of the system since they haven't incurred R&D costs. The system is able to be sold at a lower price since there isn't those R&D costs. This may inturn make the G5 appear more valuable then the G4 and attract even more users. More users mean larger manufacturing runs which also means lower cost per board.

I'm glad you're worring about Eyetech and their ability to reap what they sow. But, there still is oppurtunity for them. The G4 will still be sold for 1-2 years while the G5 R&D and manufacturing occurs. Plus, if Eyetech signs on to use the other things they've sowed they could be a position to reap even more.

Profile     Report this post  
 Top | Parent

Replies
SubjectPosterDate
      Re: Momentum PPC 970 eval boardBobsonsirjonny5-Aug-2004 18:40:10
          Re: Momentum PPC 970 eval boardIntuitioned6-Aug-2004 0:07:04
              Re: Momentum PPC 970 eval boardherewegoagain6-Aug-2004 1:07:51
                  Re: Momentum PPC 970 eval board6-Aug-2004 5:09:06
              Re: Momentum PPC 970 eval boarddigitaldisaster9-Aug-2004 22:56:05
                  Re: Momentum PPC 970 eval boardChunder10-Aug-2004 10:40:34
                      Re: Momentum PPC 970 eval boardsalass0010-Aug-2004 10:53:55
                      Re: Momentum PPC 970 eval boarddigitaldisaster10-Aug-2004 11:54:09
          Re: Momentum PPC 970 eval boarddigitaldisaster9-Aug-2004 22:48:00
      Re: Momentum PPC 970 eval boarddigitaldisaster9-Aug-2004 22:42:38

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle