Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
9 crawler(s) on-line.
 121 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 amigakit:  23 mins ago
 clint:  37 mins ago
 OlafS25:  38 mins ago
 Allanon:  40 mins ago
 dreamlandfantasy:  1 hr 26 mins ago
 cip060:  1 hr 45 mins ago
 amigatronics:  1 hr 51 mins ago
 zipper:  2 hrs 40 mins ago
 CosmosUnivers:  3 hrs 9 mins ago
 pavlor:  3 hrs 58 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Classic Amiga Hardware
      /  Re: Dave Haynie expresses thoughts on Natami and X1000
Register To Post

PosterThread
damocles 
Re: Dave Haynie expresses thoughts on Natami and X1000
Posted on 14-Apr-2011 22:03:53
#1 ]

@Mechanic

Quote:
Is this the same Dave that wanted to put AmigaOS on commodity hardware and call it Amiga? Maybe not.

Perhaps he hasn't been keeping up with AROS since it's already doing just that.

Profile     Report this post  
 Top | Parent

Replies
SubjectPosterDate
      Re: Dave Haynie expresses thoughts on Natami and X1000Rob15-Apr-2011 1:32:22
          Re: Dave Haynie expresses thoughts on Natami and X1000Mr_DBUG15-Apr-2011 5:42:53
              Re: Dave Haynie expresses thoughts on Natami and X1000NutsAboutAmiga15-Apr-2011 6:37:48
          Re: Dave Haynie expresses thoughts on Natami and X1000hazydave16-Apr-2011 8:25:20
              Re: Dave Haynie expresses thoughts on Natami and X1000hotrod16-Apr-2011 8:35:40

PosterThread
hazydave 
Re: Dave Haynie expresses thoughts on Natami and X1000
Posted on 16-Apr-2011 8:15:47
#1 ]

Quote:

Mechanic wrote:
Is this the same Dave that wanted to put AmigaOS on commodity hardware and call it Amiga?

Maybe not.

I wanted AmigaOS on commodity hardware, and I'd call it AmigaOS.

I mean, you don't need to be hit over the head with a clue-by-four to understand that, for practical systems that might actually grow the Amiga community, you can't sell 10-20% of the performance for 300-500% of the price. I can buy a $300 PClone that'll put that PA-Semi CPU to shame. And if I needed 100,000 of them, I could get them.

I'm not calling that an Amiga. I don't call a PC running Linux a Linux, I call it a Linux PC. This would be an AmigaOS PC. Apple did just fine turning Macintosh into Mac PC (they don't like to call it that, but that's precisely what it is).

It's simple: for any AmigaOS system that hopes to grow its market, it needs to offer something to new users. That's perhaps not something folks here think about, but that was how I looked at it at Commodore. And the fact you all are here indicates that yeah, my gang helped to build the Amiga beyond the A1000. We grew the market. And, far as I know, we never sold you on something you didn't get. The X1000, whether its AEON themselves or the fanboys, I don't know, but it's writing checks it can't possible cash.

Today, I'm not even claiming that you'd have to go x86. I recently bought a nVidia Tegra 2 based tablet computer. AmigaOS would ROCK on a device like this. Android certainly does. An ARM Cortex A9 is about as fast as an Intel Atom at the same clock speed. But toss Windows away, and even that modest GPU (which is 1000x faster at some things that the Amiga chips were) is downright snappy, even though Windows will definitely lag on a netbook, which doesn't just have an Atom core or two, but they're clocked 1.5x-2.0x as fast.

Possibly the most annoyance of all I had with the Amiga, Inc. of the 2000's was the fact they were do frackin' religious about PowerPC, rather than getting serious about CPU-independent AmigaOS. The hard work is moving off the 68K, not on to the PPC. If they had actually put together a real OS team, rather than farming it out with the PPC mandate to a video gaming company, they could have done AmigaOS for PPC, AmigaOS for x86, and AmigaOS for ARM in the time spent. I mean, seriously, the AmigaOS 4 for PPC has actually taken longer than Amiga did from scratch through at least 1.3 if not 2.0.

In short, I did not see any new Amiga hardware coming to light. And right now, the only hardware doing things the Amiga way are these FPGA-based systems, such as Natami. That's fun because, once delivered, it's still doing Amiga things the Amiga way. It's fun for the same reason that other retrocomputing projects are fun... as long as it's not too expensive. But it also has the potential to keep going, improve, evolve, drop in price, etc. as long as there's interest. That's is another essential component of a viable platform.

Profile     Report this post  
 Top | Parent

Replies
SubjectPosterDate
      Re: Dave Haynie expresses thoughts on Natami and X1000pavlor16-Apr-2011 9:01:03
          Re: Dave Haynie expresses thoughts on Natami and X1000hazydave16-Apr-2011 10:26:19
              Re: Dave Haynie expresses thoughts on Natami and X1000damocles16-Apr-2011 14:50:21
                  Re: Dave Haynie expresses thoughts on Natami and X1000Leo16-Apr-2011 15:58:21
                      Re: Dave Haynie expresses thoughts on Natami and X1000vidarh16-Apr-2011 18:50:41
      Re: Dave Haynie expresses thoughts on Natami and X1000vidarh16-Apr-2011 12:05:15
      Re: Dave Haynie expresses thoughts on Natami and X1000number616-Apr-2011 14:06:54

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle