Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
7 crawler(s) on-line.
 104 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Karlos:  54 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  1 hr 22 mins ago
 amigakit:  1 hr 54 mins ago
 Matt3k:  3 hrs 11 mins ago
 RobertB:  3 hrs 29 mins ago
 cip060:  4 hrs 1 min ago
 sibbi:  4 hrs 10 mins ago
 blmara:  4 hrs 48 mins ago
 zipper:  5 hrs 48 mins ago
 pavlor:  6 hrs 20 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Classic Amiga Hardware
      /  Re: Dave Haynie expresses thoughts on Natami and X1000
Register To Post

PosterThread
jas_mc 
Re: Dave Haynie expresses thoughts on Natami and X1000
Posted on 15-Apr-2011 23:27:53
#1 ]

I don't think anyone should buy the A1-X1000 for the XMOS chip. My understanding is that it was a cheap addition and they added it as a fun extra. No one should be motivated to buy a - what - £1,500 computer? - based on an extra gadget that was thrown in at the suggestion of the board manufacturer and got the green light partly on the grounds that it didn't cost much (apologies if I've misremembered that).

You *should* buy an A1-X1000 if you a) have the money to spare, b) want to run AmigaOS 4.1 at 2 GHz and c) yearn for the days when you could buy an Amiga-branded complete system.

I don't believe the purpose of the A1-X1000 is to make Amiga a roaring success again. I think A1-X1000 exists because TrevorDick wants a powerful AmigaOS 4-compatible machine, and would be prepared to pay a lot of cash for one if it couldn't be mass produced.

The reason this has turned from daydream into reality is because Trevor has funds, and also believes there are enough like-minded people left for him to make his money back (plus a bit extra) from bringing that product into existence.

This is about doing something for the slice of the Amiga community that wants it. I think he's also hoping that the publicity and geek interest will pique curiousity in AmigaOS 4 more generally, even from people who would never buy an expensive bit of obscure hardware made in low numbers at high costs.

To be honest, I think it's wise. A gamble, but certainly achievable and possibly sustainable as the first of multiple projects. I think he has more chance of making his money back selling modest numbers of expensive, relatively powerful machines to hardcore fans, then he would have trying to flog cheaper mass-produced hardware to lots of fence-sitters.

Essentially he's making this computer for himself, so I absolutely wish him well (and anyone who wants to go along for the ride).

Profile     Report this post  
 Top | Parent

Replies
SubjectPosterDate
      Re: Dave Haynie expresses thoughts on Natami and X1000BigD15-Apr-2011 23:47:55

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle