Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
25 crawler(s) on-line.
 108 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

kolla

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 kolla:  55 secs ago
 matthey:  23 mins ago
 zipper:  26 mins ago
 sibbi:  39 mins ago
 billt:  41 mins ago
 t0lkien:  43 mins ago
 pixie:  48 mins ago
 Gunnar:  1 hr 23 mins ago
 Frank:  1 hr 29 mins ago
 Karlos:  1 hr 39 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  PPC 7448: too expensive for CPU upgrade cards
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
PosterThread
hnl_dk 
Re: PPC 7448: too expensive for CPU upgrade cards
Posted on 28-Apr-2006 7:08:52
#61 ]

@Atheist

AmigaOne SE (Teron CX with AmigaOS4 license)
AmigaOne XE (Teron PX with AmigaOS4 license)
µA1-C (Teron mini with AmigaOS4 license)

Please send no PM to me, email me if you want to contact me. See you somewhere else.

Profile     Report this post  
olegil 
Posted on 28-Apr-2006 8:49:38
#62 ]
Elite Member

@hnl_dk

Almost, but not quite. The Teron products existed before the AmigaOne products, and they had similar specs, but Alan DID specify some changes to make them more suitable for end-users.

My pre-production SE _is_ a Teron CX, for all intents and purposes. But the µA1-C is nothing like the original Teron Mini. Of course, the Teron Mini now equals a µA1-C, but that's because of MAI using Alans specs for their eval boards, not the other way around. There are some people running OS4 on pre-production µA1's, and they can testify that there really were a lot of changes done before the final version

Using "voltage" instead of "potential", which leads to inventing new words like "amperage" instead of "current" (I, measured in A) or possible "charge" (amperehours, Ah or Coulomb, C). Sometimes I don't even know what people mean.

hnl_dk 
Posted on 28-Apr-2006 9:25:08
#63 ]

@olegil

Quote:

olegil wrote:
@hnl_dk

Almost, but not quite. The Teron products existed before the AmigaOne products, and they had similar specs, but Alan DID specify some changes to make them more suitable for end-users.

My pre-production SE _is_ a Teron CX, for all intents and purposes. But the µA1-C is nothing like the original Teron Mini. Of course, the Teron Mini now equals a µA1-C, but that's because of MAI using Alans specs for their eval boards, not the other way around. There are some people running OS4 on pre-production µA1's, and they can testify that there really were a lot of changes done before the final version

ah, so the it is "in fact" the other way around

The "new" Teron Mini is more like an µA1-C without AmigaOS4 license

I know I know... I just think that this is a bit funny

Thanks for the information

Please send no PM to me, email me if you want to contact me. See you somewhere else.

Seehund 
Posted on 28-Apr-2006 13:21:30
#64 ]

@Rob

Quote:

Rob wrote:

Some people prefer to use the word Teron, I believe this is supposed to derogatory.

That's a strange belief, IMO. I think I've heard that Teron translates to "Dragon", and somehow I don't think Mai would've chosen the name if it was derogatory. I'm sure the motherboards won't feel insulted regardless of what anyone calls them, anyway.

Personally, I simply call e.g. a Teron PX "a Teron PX" for clarity's sake when referring to the motherboards, the hardware itself, in instances such as this when it's irrelevant how the individual mobos have been sold, whatever packages they were part of, and whether they've also been marketed as "Boxers", "Dragon Servers", "AmigaOnes" or whatever.

Seehund 
Posted on 28-Apr-2006 13:40:30
#65 ]

@hnl_dk

Quote:

hnl_dk wrote:
@olegil

Quote:

olegil wrote:
@hnl_dk

But the µA1-C is nothing like the original Teron Mini.

Of course not. Why would anyone sell the first Teron Mini revision when new ones became available?

Quote:

The "new" Teron Mini is more like an µA1-C without AmigaOS4 license

It's still Mai's design, called Teron Mini (with various revision numbers). Mai (i.e. Bill Mueller, who designed all their mobos) haven't designed any motherboard exclusively for Eyetech, Inguard or whoever. Whatever any one of their customers sells is also available to Mai and their other customers. Of course Mai would adapt its product line to its customer's wishes to make sales possible. Duh. What Mai called "Teron Mini v2" (not sure about the version numbers now), Eyetech chose to call "micro-A1 C". Unfortunately things didn't turn out very well as we all know, and Eyetech was eventually Mai's last remaining motherboard (and Articia?) customer outside the Atum Group.

Edit: Fixed quoting

Last edited by Seehund on 28-Apr-2006 at 01:41 PM.

wegster 
Posted on 28-Apr-2006 13:54:18
#66 ]
Elite Member

@Atheist

It seems I didn't even see this response earlier, which is quite lame on my part, can only blame my scroll mouse and lack of sleep, but:

Quote:
Quote:
Bodie_CI5 wrote:
Quote:

@ikir
I will have to reinforce what Wegster said to you in his reply. I can only speak for myself here:

Atheist, I have told you time enough, that you HAVE TO LAY OFF this streak that you have as though you were on some moral crusade to *defend* (from what? a differing opinion?) OS4 from the vaporious *trollish menace* as you have characterised it often enough.

Hi Bodie_CI5,

It's acceptable that a member, who vociferoulsy hates anything AOS4.0, states openly "Buy this, and you are being screwed", to a new product, that NEEDS to recover R&D costs, is a LOW production run and MANY PEOPLE need or want is A-OK????

Being against THAT is crusading?

Well, I'm a crusader then.

Yes, and YOUR version of 'crusading,' involving attacks and TOS violations at will, after many PMs exchanged between you and various staff members, as well as numerous public warnings and Abuse Reports, and you STILL feel free to violate the TOS at will, in the name of your 'crusade.'

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

And this I have done both publically and privately. It seems as though my exhortations are falling not only on deaf ears but are not even approaching the brick wall, for such is your behaviour when it comes to this issue. Making wild, malevolent accusations and issuing conspiratorial theories from whence one does now know from where they are in a position to surface will only get you into trouble.

Now I feel like I'm being burned on a stake for being a witch.

There most certainly IS a conspiracy....

And yet only 2 people behind it have been thrown out, but are most likely back on with new alias'.

No, you are being held in accordance by the same identical standards all members are held to, the TOS, and if anything, have been given many more chances, as well as PMs, 'nudges,' and suggestions to TRY to keep you from going off on your usual means of attacking, seeing trolling in some cases there is none, only a different opinion, as well as violating the TOS at the slightest hint of deviation from your own beliefs, with total disregard to all past interactions and warning from AW staff.

It is NOT your concern of how many people have been 'thrown out.' Bodie as well as myself, have both asked, no, told you to stop your silly accusations regarding Nicolas and Hatschi, which even now you persist in continuing.

Quote:
I don't "act", I "react" to threats, continuous threats from interlopers.

I don't label people, they do that on their own, then the label can be applied by those who see it.

And in YOUR reactions, which you have a choice, you consciously decide whether ot not to react or to simply file an Abuse Report, or contact a member of staff, you continue your never ending attacks and become as much of a troll as any comments you claim to despise, and try to somehow justify your TOS violations time and again, being warned time and again, taking up more staff time both in public forums and in staff forums than 90% of the userbase...

You were warned weeks ago we were done with warning you, yet a few weeks pass, and you go right back to the same behavior. This alone could have, and perhaps should have, gotten you a vacation by itself:

Quote:
It's time for a new website that actually caters for users of AOS4.0, strictly, because it seems that all the portals on the internet have become genesi.com.

Does bb pay the bills here?

You now are really leaving us no choice here, as even after both my and Bide's warning, you continue down your path of attemptied justifcation, when in fact there is none- regardless of your reasoning, you've yet again broken the TOS in regards to trolling and flaming, as well as requests from staff members.

Take your crusade elsewhere for a while...I hope you finally realize we are NOT playing some game with you with these warnings and suggestions, as they are now neither, they are a simple statement- abide by the TOS of this site, as well as requests from the staff, or don't participate.

Banned for 7 days, pending staff decision as to disposition of this mess. Note that 7 days is NOT the maximum possible here, but simply gives Staff time to review.

ackcontrls 
Posted on 28-Apr-2006 14:10:57
#67 ]

@Seehund

Quote:
It's still Mai's design, called Teron Mini (with various revision numbers). Mai (i.e. Bill Mueller, who designed all their mobos) haven't designed any motherboard exclusively for Eyetech, Inguard or whoever. Whatever any one of their customers sells is also available to Mai and their other customers.

Bill Mueller had nothing to do with the MicroA1-I. That product was completely based on work that Alan Redhouse and myself did with MAI Logic. Bill Mueller had left MAI Logic before work began on the MicroA1-I.

Adam

ealm 
Posted on 28-Apr-2006 14:49:15
#68 ]

@Maczilla

Quote:

Maczilla wrote:
@ealm
Not a very fair test really. The G4 in the PB was a single core
proccessor. The Intel part in all the MBPs is a dual core chip.

Not fair? What do I, as a consumer, care about that. I want performance and quality for my money. With the current A1:s I get lousy mobo and chipsets and slow performance. Even future A1:s will be slow due to the G4. If I buy a cheap intel-based computer, I get a duo core, so that's what I compare with.

Maczilla 
Posted on 28-Apr-2006 19:17:16
#69 ]

@ealm
All I'm trying to do is point out that there is a means
to compare the relative merits of the G4 (in the old
Mac Mini) to a relatively similar Intel part in the new
low end Intel Mini (Core Solo). Comparing single core
Minis (Intel Core Solo vs G4) is more to the point, than
the PB to MBP.

What I do know is that if I were a clueless consumer
with a Mac Mini G4 1.42, I sure wouldn't sell it to get a
low end Intel Core Solo. The Core Solo Mini seems
to be a waste of $600 if it can't smoke a year old G4
Mini in a very decisive manner.

Now if one really wants to run Windoze XP under Boot
Camp, it's a different story (though I think I'd still try
and scrape up some more cash for a dual core Mini
or iMac)

Samwel 
Posted on 29-Apr-2006 2:49:27
#70 ]
Elite Member

@ackcontrls

I belive Seehund is talking about the µA1-C not the industrial version.

But maybe you mean that the industrial version is the one made for MAI and
the commercial is the changed one that Eyetech sold for OS4?

[SOLD] µA1-C - 750GX 800MHz - 512MB - Antec Aria case

ealm 
Posted on 29-Apr-2006 5:19:53
#71 ]

@Maczilla

However I doubt Amiga OS4 capable computers will retail for a price less than what I get a complete core duo-based system for (which is about $700). What I get for my money is what interests me as a consumer and as long as OS4 stays G4-only, we'll have to buy over-priced hardware to run it (I won't).

For now it will be AROS/AmiKit/Zeta for me (they all run on my current x86 hardware, and on cheap, future x86 hardware). However I still have hopes for a x86 version of OS4. I'd gladly pay $100 or so for it.

Rudei 
Posted on 29-Apr-2006 10:41:32
#72 ]
Elite Member

@ackcontrls

Is MAI logic dead then as their website is still alive and kicking?

Rob 
Posted on 29-Apr-2006 11:06:29
#73 ]
Elite Member

@Seehund

>That's a strange belief, IMO. I think I've heard that Teron translates to >"Dragon", and somehow I don't think Mai would've chosen the name.

Not really to do with the name itself. I thought some might prefer the word teron on amiga forums in the context of "it's not really Amiga". I've often seen people say that kind of thing. Usually from the same people who say that OS4 is only Amiga by name.

I wasn't aware the name translated to Dragon. Does that mean we can call the Elbox Coldfire hardware Teron as well.

Deniil715 
Posted on 29-Apr-2006 13:45:56
#74 ]
Elite Member

If I had a job (and hence money) I would pay $850 for a twice as fast machine. I have a 933 G4 now and I estimate going from 933 to 1700MHz and 256 to 1024kB cache would generate about twice the speed. Am I wrong?

Yabba 
Posted on 29-Apr-2006 14:40:53
#75 ]

@Samwel

Quote:

Samwel wrote:
@ackcontrls

I belive Seehund is talking about the µA1-C not the industrial version.

Seehund is just doing his usual stunt of calling everything a Teron just because
he likes to upset people. The said thing is that the people he thinks he is
correctly insulting are the people that actually actively worked on developing
the machine called uA1.
Very few people on these forms actually know what they are talking about
and far too many are actually trying their best to insult these people.
Sad but true.

But on the other hand, I know that the majority on this forum really appreciate
the work we are doing.

rgds,
Stefan

Doobrey 
Posted on 29-Apr-2006 18:27:31
#76 ]

@Rudei

Quote:

Rudei wrote:
@ackcontrls

Is MAI logic dead then as their website is still alive and kicking?

Dunno about alive and kicking..'last modified' date is 2 yrs ago, and has a load of broken links to it's own product pages.
Even stranger, Archive.org has a more recent page in its cache.

Last edited by Doobrey on 29-Apr-2006 at 06:30 PM.

hatschi 
Posted on 29-Apr-2006 21:48:01
#77 ]
Elite Member

@Doobrey
Quote:
Dunno about alive and kicking..'last modified' date is 2 yrs ago, and has a load of broken links to it's own product pages.

Yep, check out "Products>Chipset>Articia S" for example. You get a 404 because the webmaster was to stupid to spell html correctly. Remove one "l" and the website displays. Doh!
Some images don't display because they linked to upper case instead of lower case characters.

Maybe webmaster and chip engineer are indeed the same person?

Samwel 
Posted on 30-Apr-2006 7:02:10
#78 ]
Elite Member

@Yabba

Yes I understand that plenty of work did go into the µA1 project.
And I for sure (owner myself) do really appriciate that.

Also I see that Seehund is playing dumb on the answer about why he's calling
it Teron, babbling on about dragon and stuff. If he seriously wanted to talk to
anyone about it he would call it A1 like everyone else. I would call this trolling.
Especially when he knows the reaction it will get here on AW.net.

With my comment I was only trying to find out if Adam didn't write it wrong in
his post by mistake. He kept refering to the industrial version all the time which
hasn't been released to the public AFAIK. Or did he mean the µA1-C with those
comments?

Last edited by Samwel on 30-Apr-2006 at 07:06 AM.

[SOLD] µA1-C - 750GX 800MHz - 512MB - Antec Aria case

T_Bone 
Posted on 30-Apr-2006 11:05:41
#79 ]
Elite Member

@Samwel

Quote:

Samwel wrote:

Also I see that Seehund is playing dumb on the answer about why he's calling
it Teron, babbling on about dragon and stuff. If he seriously wanted to talk to
anyone about it he would call it A1 like everyone else. I would call this trolling.
Especially when he knows the reaction it will get here on AW.net.

Is there really anyone here who doesn't know by now that Seehund's target is the license?
(as opposed to the A1 or AOS4)

Last edited by T_Bone on 30-Apr-2006 at 12:32 PM.

TMTisFree 
Posted on 30-Apr-2006 11:52:11
#80 ]

@Samwel

It's our responsability to hit the Report button
when you think that TOS have been broken. To keep
this very site safe. I did that myself last week.

Bye,
TMTisFree

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle