Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
13 crawler(s) on-line.
 119 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 ncafferkey:  15 mins ago
 Hypex:  19 mins ago
 matthey:  1 hr ago
 DiscreetFX:  1 hr 20 mins ago
 utukku:  1 hr 43 mins ago
 DWolfman:  1 hr 48 mins ago
 Hammer:  3 hrs 3 mins ago
 kolla:  3 hrs 15 mins ago
 agami:  4 hrs 21 mins ago
 RobertB:  5 hrs 26 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Hardware
      /  New PowerPC Platform for OS4
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
PosterThread
Jorge 
Re: New PowerPC Platform for OS4
Posted on 11-Sep-2006 18:00:31
#341 ]
Cult Member

@jorkany

Quote:
Rickard R at least announced a motherboard that he claimed would work with OS4,

Hm, well, it could simple be, that you don't know how things work, but I would guess, the board is one of these low end abandoned designes you can buy on ebay for about $20. Surprise! It comes with UBoot, or is at least (or still) supported in the latest UBoot source tree.

I'm soo excited. I have to feed the UBoot updater to it. Oh, wonder, it crashed! What ever, didn't run that well to run a BIOS targeted to a complete different platform (! the AmigaOne, that is) on my oh so cute little board.

Doesn't matter, nobody will get it anyway. Let's post an announcement on aw.net, that we got "OS4 to boot half way thru". Yeah, that's what we gonna do. How cool ist that. Pray me, I am so great.

Not.

Last edited by Jorge on 11-Sep-2006 at 06:01 PM.

XE/G4 (broken 7450/800)

Profile     Report this post  
yak 
Posted on 11-Sep-2006 18:02:08
#342 ]

@jorkany

I don't understand you. The fact, that he showed us a picture of some PPC evaluation board doesn't mean anything. Anybody could do it. Troika didn't showed us such thing which makes it even more real. But the most important thing is that Rouge clearly said that Troika isn't a hoax. You don't believe him?

Last edited by yak on 11-Sep-2006 at 06:02 PM.

jorkany 
Posted on 11-Sep-2006 18:10:18
#343 ]
Cult Member

@Jorge
I guess you didn't read much of my post, since I made it clear that I thought Rickard R was a hoax - but at least his claims were that he had a product that could run OS4, a claim which Troika has not made. However I do concede that Troika is a far superior hoax, primarily because they have not claimed to have an OS4 related product yet have still managed to generate OS4-related interest.

billt 
Posted on 11-Sep-2006 18:16:52
#344 ]
Elite Member

@jorkany

Quote:
If anything, Rickard R at least announced a motherboard that he claimed would work with OS4, neither Troika nor ACK have even been able to do that. I realize this is just an academic question, but how is the Troika motherboard even Amiga-related? A hoax it may have been, but at least Rickard R came up with a hoax that was actually Amiga-relevant, even if it was only related by OS4.

You think that neither Troika nor ACK have announced anything OS4-related? Are you serious? What reason did you attribute to the existence of either project?

http://www.troikang.com/about.html says:
It is intended to be a low cost, legacy free system aimed at the embedded/home server market running versions of Linux and the Amiga OS4 operating system.

http://safir.amigaos.se/article_ack_eng.html says:
Adam says that they have since long been working on OS4 for the PowerVixxen LT

jorkany 
Posted on 11-Sep-2006 18:23:52
#345 ]
Cult Member

@yak
Quote:
I don't understand you. The fact, that he showed us a picture of some PPC evaluation board doesn't mean anything. Anybody could do it. Troika didn't showed us such thing which makes it even more real.
Troika has shown a number of things on their website. Perhaps you have forgotten the DPaint block diagrams, pictures of their "sound system" which they claim they have just gotten down despite having announced it and shown pictures some months ago, etc. You just haven't been following the Troika announcements very closely. Also, in case you have forgotten, Troika claims to have abandoned the custom built mobo they claimed they would demo last year in order to use a "some PPC evaluation board" from UDTech.

Face it, anybody could also do what Troika has done. Put up a website, make a few vague claims, show some pictures (but never an actual product), make announcements about demos and such that never come to pass. Don't get me wrong, I think Rickard R was a hoax too, he just wasn't patient enough.

Quote:
But the most important thing is that Rouge clearly said that Troika isn't a hoax. You don't believe him?
You must be joking. I won't even go into that here.

zerohero 
Posted on 11-Sep-2006 18:27:10
#346 ]
Team Member

@thread

HELLO!

RickardR is created by ironfist (alone or by a group of people called "rectal r00ters", here's a pic --> rr)

His motivation? No idea, don't care, just tired of it all.

Could we please do something constructive instead?

Now, was that clear enough?

Regards,
Joachim Birging

jorkany 
Posted on 11-Sep-2006 18:32:20
#347 ]
Cult Member

@billt
Quote:
You think that neither Troika nor ACK have announced anything OS4-related? Are you serious? What reason did you attribute to the existence of either project?
I meant Troika only, sorry for the awkward wording. ACK has been very up-front about targetting OS4 since the beginning and as I said I felt that at least their CPU carrier card was legitimate. ACK may even be serious about their motherboard project, I haven't discounted them as a hoax just yet.

As for why projects such as Troika exist, well....why does someone like Rickard R announce a "project"?

Quote:
It is intended to be a low cost, legacy free system aimed at the embedded/home server market running versions of Linux and the Amiga OS4 operating system.
Well, I was wrong about that, I hadn't seen that on their site. I was going on the lack of responses to the questions directed at Troika as to whether their supposed board would run OS4 or not. So I concede - Troika's hoax *IS* related to OS4 after all!

Flashlab 
Posted on 11-Sep-2006 18:41:57
#348 ]

I don't take any of the hardware projects seriously until I can actually buy one. Not that I think they are hoaxes or not; it doesn't matter as I can't have any of them anyhow ATM

@ Zerohero

If your theory is true than this person is really really pathetic... Well the picture you showed isn't too cool too IMHO, but hey... they don't bother me. Playing hoaxes is really uncool though, so I hope you're wrong...

Online Flash version of BoulderDash: Temporarily offline...

Jorge 
Posted on 11-Sep-2006 18:52:57
#349 ]
Cult Member

@jorkany

What next ? Buy a ppc mac and say I have a HW which could potentially run OS4 ?

XE/G4 (broken 7450/800)

Jorge 
Posted on 11-Sep-2006 18:55:03
#350 ]
Cult Member

@zerohero

I agree ... but I am really into it right now. Is knida funny - or ... nothing else to do (well, nah, not right - but I need some distraction ATM)

rr...is he the guy who holds the megaphone in the wrong direction ?

Last edited by Jorge on 11-Sep-2006 at 06:57 PM.

XE/G4 (broken 7450/800)

saimo 
Posted on 11-Sep-2006 19:45:42
#351 ]
Elite Member

@jorkany

Quote:

Really? I can think of a number of reasons why a board manufacturer would not contact Hyperion.

What a pity you could not manage to list a single one.

Quote:

Hoax or not, Rickard R at least came out and said they were making a mobo for OS4. So far no other PPC motherboard maker aside from Eyetech has stated as such.

Forgetting for a moment that it is a hoax, let's look at the only two possibilites:
- if a hoax, he could have said anything, even that he's making a mobo for OS4 on the moon labs of NASA using antimatter-based processors;
- if not a hoax, in what way would his claim prove that the other HW makers are not targeting OS4?
Your statement is totally *meaningless*.

Quote:

I think Troika is a hoax. I also think Rickard R was a hoax. My point is, I don't see why Troika isn't treated as a hoax just as much as Rickard R has been.

You've been answered many, many times already. And it was crystal clear even before the very first answer you got.

Quote:

If anything, Rickard R at least announced a motherboard that he claimed would work with OS4, neither Troika nor ACK have even been able to do that.

We're back again to this completely meaningless reasoning!
"been able"?!? Anybody is able to claim *anything*!!!
I hereby declare that I'm working at a motherboard with 256 PPCs running an early SMP version of OS5!

Quote:

I guess you didn't read much of my post, since I made it clear that I thought Rickard R was a hoax - but at least his claims were that he had a product that could run OS4, a claim which Troika has not made.

You said that in your opinion Troika is a hoax.
Here you say that in your opinion Rickard R is a hoax.
Then here you say "but at least his claims were that he had a product that could run OS4, a claim which Troika has not made." (same meaningless argument, only in a different working), which implies that Rickard R is better than Troika at something - and the only obvious thing one can think of is that it is more credible than Troika. If not, please explain what Rickard R is better at, especially considering that with

Quote:

However I do concede that Troika is a far superior hoax, primarily because they have not claimed to have an OS4 related product yet have still managed to generate OS4-related interest.

you declare that he is inferior to Troika also as a hoax.

I could go on, but, together with all of your other posts, it is already more than clear that your only aim is to use Rickardr R (applying a totally flawed logic) to bash Troika.
I suspect (well, indeed I'm pretty sure) that Rickardr R has been created (I don't care about by who) just for the purpose of bashing the people trying to get some HW out and the people hoping in them; maybe for plain hate, maybe for business anti-propaganda, maybe for deprecable fun, maybe for all of them... I don't know, but what I know is that it is so very sad and I wish these stupid attacks ended and left the rest of the community in peace.

saimo

edit: added something at the end...
edit: corrected a grammar mistake and substituted a "strong" word.

Last edited by saimo on 11-Sep-2006 at 09:14 PM.
Last edited by saimo on 11-Sep-2006 at 07:55 PM.

billt 
Posted on 11-Sep-2006 20:03:01
#352 ]
Elite Member

@jorkany

Quote:
I was going on the lack of responses to the questions directed at Troika as to whether their supposed board would run OS4 or not.

The barrage of questions I saw about Troika were of the "do you already have a license for OS4?" variety, not of the "will it run OS4?" variety. They claimed from the beginning to be an OS4 motherboard, but they've never answered if they actually have a license or not.

Rob 
Posted on 11-Sep-2006 20:37:29
#353 ]
Elite Member

@saimo

My thoughts here were that the latest post from RickardR was designed to re-enforce that Amiga Inc's refusal to grant an OS4 licence to any potential hardware was "fact".

I find this insulting to Acill who tred to buy an OS4 licence for the Pegasos using his own money. Unfortunately there was a reason (most of us disagree with) why they wouldn't grant him a licence.

saimo 
Posted on 11-Sep-2006 20:54:06
#354 ]
Elite Member

@Rob

Quote:

Rob wrote:
@saimo

My thoughts here were that the latest post from RickardR was designed to re-enforce that Amiga Inc's refusal to grant an OS4 licence to any potential hardware was "fact".

I agree, and indeed I think that is not limited to just the last post
(Forgot to mention that in my post because my train of thought was following another line .)

Quote:

I find this insulting to Acill who tred to buy an OS4 licence for the Pegasos using his own money.

Mmm... I don't find it insulting in that sense... oh, well, my sensibilty must be different from yours, nothing bad.

Quote:

Unfortunately there was a reason (most of us disagree with) why they wouldn't grant him a licence.

Well, I guess there was more than one (I have a couple in my mind, but this is not the right place to go into that).

Last edited by saimo on 11-Sep-2006 at 08:56 PM.

elwood 
Posted on 11-Sep-2006 20:59:00
#355 ]
Elite Member

@ALL and moderators

What about deleting this thread?

Amiga Translator Organisation

saimo 
Posted on 11-Sep-2006 21:08:37
#356 ]
Elite Member

@elwood

Quote:
What about deleting this thread?

Wouldn't it be better to just lock it? Deleting would equal doing a favour to those who came up with and/or supported this shameful idea.

saimo

number6 
Posted on 11-Sep-2006 21:13:18
#357 ]
Elite Member

@elwood

An example of why this -wouldn't- be a very good idea:
Troika and/or supporters are linking from other websites to Rogue's comments
in this thread supporting Troika.
Read Rob's post here as proof of that.

Now ask yourself what happens after someone clicks on a "dead" link in this case.
?

brotheris 
Posted on 11-Sep-2006 21:16:39
#358 ]

iWin hoax was THE best of them all. These others are irrelevant

saimo 
Posted on 11-Sep-2006 21:25:07
#359 ]
Elite Member

@number6

Quote:
Now ask yourself what happens after someone clicks on a "dead" link in this case.
?

saimo

Legion 
Posted on 11-Sep-2006 21:31:58
#360 ]
Cult Member

I wonder if the Atari guys have threads like this...

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle