Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
17 crawler(s) on-line.
 151 guest(s) on-line.
 2 member(s) on-line.

Hypex,  agami

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 agami:  17 secs ago
 Hypex:  23 secs ago
 Hammer:  1 hr 30 mins ago
 amigasociety:  1 hr 45 mins ago
 matthey:  2 hrs 25 mins ago
 billt:  3 hrs 28 mins ago
 Rob:  4 hrs 28 mins ago
 amigakit:  4 hrs 39 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  4 hrs 56 mins ago
 Matt3k:  5 hrs 12 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4.x \ Workbench 4.x
      /  [Poll] Carl's Amiga Test
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 Next Page )
Poll : Would you use OS4 if it ran on PC boxes/laptops?
Yes, immediately.
Maybe eventually.
No. Never.

PosterThread
Fransexy 
Re: [Poll] Carl's Amiga Test
Posted on 27-Oct-2006 10:36:19
#121 ]
Elite Member

@falemagn

Quote:
I couldn't live without MP and VM

I couldn´t live without responsiveness, MP and VM are only buzzwords.
Windows has memory protection and in fact crash more often than my miggy.At the end what is important is that a system be stable and less important is what makes the system stable.
Virtual memory? i prefer virtual memory on demand, if a app need more memory i prefer a requester than says not enough memory and decide if is worth enable virtual memory as using HD as memory slowdown the system.

Is scary that the marketing machinery has made their job very well, and has made people believe in the GHZ, buzzwords and in the "big is better".Even has convinced a few Amigans that knew that not all is MHZ.Sirs this is the Amiga, you don´t need 3 GHZ only to be able to open a window

Profile     Report this post  
Fransexy 
Posted on 27-Oct-2006 10:40:40
#122 ]
Elite Member

@yak

Quote:
And the "cheap" is very important now

Cheap often it is interpreted like low quality, so be careful cheap hardware is a weapon of double edge

COBRA 
Posted on 27-Oct-2006 10:42:32
#123 ]

@hatschi

Quote:
Because a G5 would most possibly run much hotter than a Core 2 Duo?

I was referring to the fact that the new Intel-based MacBooks get much hotter than the older PPC-based ones. G5 is not designed as a mobile processor, although there are low-power G5 chips as well (21W peak @ 1.6GHz) they won't compete with the Core/Core2 CPUs for power consumption. The intel core chips are impressive, although the MPC8641D will be hard to beat with 15-25W typical for CPU+DDR2+PCIE controller together at 2GHz.

Last edited by COBRA on 27-Oct-2006 at 10:44 AM.

Hannibal_Smith 
Posted on 27-Oct-2006 10:45:43
#124 ]

@Benji

Quote:

Benji wrote:
@Carl-S

Here is the strange thing - ask someone if they would spend $50 on OS4 for x86 or $500 on a complete PPC board in a case with OS4...

Why couldn't you have a $500 complete x86 motherboard in a case with OS4?

AmiDelf2 
Posted on 27-Oct-2006 10:45:43
#125 ]

No x86 please, just not that. Its not Amiga and it wont do any good now.

Regards,
Michal, editor of Amitopia, www.amitopia.net & www.radionitro.net

Anonymous 
Posted on 27-Oct-2006 10:48:16
# ]

@COBRA

How quickly people forget...

I went from 12" PowerBook to MacBook and the outside of the machine is much, much cooler. Of course this also has to do with the case not being aluminium, but the cpu's regular use temperature was about the same.

Right now my cpu is 43c - a couple of degrees lower than the PowerBook would have been with the same amount of stuff going on.

Report this post  
falemagn 
Posted on 27-Oct-2006 11:10:00
#127 ]

@Fransexy

Quote:

I couldn´t live without responsiveness, MP and VM are only buzzwords.

It's funny how in certain places reality can be seen upside down, isn't it? In my book, the buzzword there is "responsiveness", certainly not Memory Protection and Virtual Memory. MP and VM have well precise definitions and meaning, so much that they are, and have been for the past 30 years, subject of study in any course of computer science. Responsiveness, on the other hand, is a fuzzy unit of measure, everyone could give it a subjective meaning and its scale isn't standardized by any means. Not that I have anything against fuzzy logic, but it just doesn't apply that well in certain contextes, this being one of them.

Quote:

Windows has memory protection and in fact crash more often than my miggy.At the end what is important is that a system be stable and less important is what makes the system stable.

Haven't had one single crash of windows since the days of Windows 98 (and even then, they were mostly due to faulty drivers). On the other hand, I only need to run a web browser or two to get AmigaOS down on its knees.

For a developer, VM and MP are a must, it's unthinkable for me to go back to the days in which I coded for AmigaOS, where any mistakes I did in my program would transform itself into an instant reboot or render the whole system unstable. For an user, MP and VM mean that the system is never going to be brought down by malicious or faulty applications (leaving out issues with the MP and VM systems themselves, of course) and that the letter I'm writing in the word processor isn't going to be overwritten by the music player that has gone nuts.

I'd say these are pretty basic requirements that any users of any other semi-modern OS out there takes for granted. AmigaOS4 will never make a dent out of its current minuscule market if it doesn't gain full memory protection and full support for virtual memory. Not on the desktop anyway. And this is not just my opinion, it's also the opinion of the people who are coding AmigaOS4, who have to say on the matter that they cannot find "few good reasons why a MacOS or Windows user should use AmigaOS, regardless of the hardware platform".

Of course, any other means to achieve the same results that MP and VM give is ok with me, but that usually means limiting the OS to execute only programs written in some sort of "safe" language.

Quote:

Virtual memory? i prefer virtual memory on demand, if a app need more memory i prefer a requester than says not enough memory and decide if is worth enable virtual memory as using HD as memory slowdown the system.

Virtual memory doen't mean swappable memory, those concepts are not even interdependent, they're rather orthogonal to each other: you can have either of them without having by force the other one.

Quote:

Is scary that the marketing machinery has made their job very well, and has made people believe in the GHZ, buzzwords and in the "big is better".Even has convinced a few Amigans that knew that not all is MHZ.Sirs this is the Amiga, you don´t need 3 GHZ only to be able to open a window.

Sir, you can't talk like that to me, I'm probably the last man on earth who's going to buy any buzzwords. I simply happen to know my way around computing, and know what I'm talking about, for reasons that I don't feel compelled to enumerate here.

Last edited by falemagn on 27-Oct-2006 at 11:12 AM.
Last edited by falemagn on 27-Oct-2006 at 11:10 AM.

~~ Henry Ford

COBRA 
Posted on 27-Oct-2006 11:13:15
#128 ]

@Trezzer

Maybe you had this?

The reviews I read about the MacBook Pro's stated that it's considerably hotter than the PowerBooks, but their performance was considerably better too.

Hagbard_Celine 
Posted on 27-Oct-2006 11:13:35
#129 ]

@AmiDelf2

I am afully sorry, but an AmigaOne isn't an Amiga either, so why bother whether it is X86 or PPC.

The only difference is, hardware is much cheaper ;) Still u can put that in a custom case an stamp Amiga on it if you want to.

(By the way, "real" Amiga has custom chips and lovely names for them )

Bobsonsirjonny 
Posted on 27-Oct-2006 11:14:46
#130 ]
Elite Member

@Hannibal_Smith

Quote:

Hannibal_Smith wrote:
@evilrich

I agree with you at the notion that GHz and GHz of raw power is not needed. However x86 is much more than how much raw computational power would be available or even how much bang per buck you can get. It’s about actual cost, availability and future security.

* No more needing to source exotic and expensive memory modules.
* No more relying on tin-pot companies operating out of a shed somewhere.
* No more ‘we need x orders to get the price down’
* Tried and tested technology.
* Real choice.

We’ve been down this PPC road for 5 years now, and there seems to be no progress and no light at the end of the tunnel. Had IBM got motherboard manufacturers to make PPC varieties like they were trying to a couple of years back, then things might be different. As it stands though, I can’t see AmigaOS even making even minor progress in the future.

Indeed - the argument against x86 is imho irrational, and illogical.

For those who say it needs to be PPC for the embedded markets - Why cant OS 4 run on X86 as well as the embedded markets (ported to xscale, ppc and so on) with the x86 systems being used to develop apps for the ppc systems?

saimo 
Posted on 27-Oct-2006 11:20:34
#131 ]
Elite Member

@falemagn

Quote:
As it is now, AOS4 doesn't give me anything that I couldn't get from other operating systems. Rather, it gives me way less than the other systems. I couldn't live without MP and VM

Since this makes it look like AOS4 has neither, I'd just like to point out that:
- the publically available beta already has partial MP (and it is likely that it has been improved in the many months that followed since the release and the work that has been done on the memory system);
- the latest internal betas have been reported to have VM working (I can't tell any details as I'm not a betatester).

Quote:
I couldn't live without MP and VM, for instance, and neither could the majority of users of other operating systems out there.

I think that many of the users out there would enjoy a lot the Amiga feeling, so they cannot be ruled out as potential customers.

Quote:
I'd buy it just to try it out if it costed less than, say, 50 EUR, though. So "no, never" isn't an accurate answer to the poll.

"Maybe eventually" would have been accurate, and would have made your post look much less provocative.

saimo

Raffaele 
Posted on 27-Oct-2006 11:21:55
#132 ]

@Carl-S

Quote:

Carl-S wrote:
Sometimes a specific test case provides better insight than an abstract definition. So, here is a test question.

What if:

1. Amiga OS 4 ran on a modern PC box/laptop, and

2. Classic Amiga apps and games emulated "perfectly" on that same box.

How would you feel about that?

How many people here would use it immediately?

How many of us would be building new applications, new games, porting over good software, selling PC/OS4 packages, integrating new hardware, putting OS4 into schools, and ... you get the idea...

How many would still wait for PPC hardware?

So, that's the razor. You decide.

Dear Carl, I already did all the above statements. I got a Pegasos with MorphOS.

I am just waiting for AmigaOS to run on my machine.

So if your questions are about to port it even on Pegasos hardware, then fell free to do and release it dam*d quick soon.

Or perhaps are you talking of the "MYTHICAL" italian "Project Moana"?

(Which seems, from rumors, it should perform at the Speed of Light, invincible, untouchable, unbreakable, unstoppable?)

AmigaBlitter 
Posted on 27-Oct-2006 11:23:08
#133 ]
Elite Member

AmigaOS on X86

TheDaddy 
Posted on 27-Oct-2006 11:25:09
#134 ]
Elite Member

@Raffaele

>Or perhaps are you talking of the "MYTHICAL" italian "Project Moana"?

(Which seems, from rumors, it should perform at the Speed of Light, invincible, untouchable, unbreakable, unstoppable?)

What the hell are you talking about?

More info...please

AmigaBlitter 
Posted on 27-Oct-2006 11:29:38
#135 ]
Elite Member

@TheDaddy

Hammer 
Posted on 27-Oct-2006 11:37:17
#136 ]
Elite Member

@Fransexy

Quote:
Windows has memory protection and in fact crash more often than my miggy

Userland application's crash shouldn't take out the OS.

Quote:
Is scary that the marketing machinery has made their job very well, and has made people believe in the GHZ, buzzwords and in the "big is better"

Actually, "thin-n-light" is better i.e. laptops. Haven't you been keeping with laptop unit sales growth vs desktop unit sales growth thrends?

Pure Ghz marketing is obsolete in Intel’s Core 2 era i.e. Ghz and IPC.

Hammer 
Posted on 27-Oct-2006 11:48:59
#137 ]
Elite Member

Quote:

COBRA wrote:
@hatschi

Quote:
Because a G5 would most possibly run much hotter than a Core 2 Duo?

I was referring to the fact that the new Intel-based MacBooks get much hotter than the older PPC-based ones. G5 is not designed as a mobile processor, although there are low-power G5 chips as well (21W peak @ 1.6GHz) they won't compete with the Core/Core2 CPUs for power consumption.

Factor in power curve vs clockspeed.

IBM's 945 (northbridge)'s TDP wattage is not compititive enough against ATI's RD580 TDP wattage.

Against Intel, both IBM and Freescale are not just competing with just CPU i.e. Intel’s GMA X3000 IGP (roughly on par with AMD’s old Radeon X300 Linux OpenGL).

Quote:

The intel core chips are impressive, although the MPC8641D will be hard to beat with 15-25W typical for CPU+DDR2+PCIE controller together at 2GHz.

Is MPC8641D available for sale?

TheDaddy 
Posted on 27-Oct-2006 11:49:34
#138 ]
Elite Member

@AmigaBlitter

Are you joking or just cheeky

And what's that screenshot?

Edit: Just seen the wincustomize thing.....for a moment I thought....ARGH!

Last edited by TheDaddy on 27-Oct-2006 at 11:51 AM.

Hammer 
Posted on 27-Oct-2006 11:58:33
#139 ]
Elite Member

@AmigaBlitter

Looks similar to my WinUAE/AmiKit (customized)/AmigaOS 3.9 68K desktop.

Anonymous 
Posted on 27-Oct-2006 12:01:42
# ]

@COBRA

No, I didn't have that problem.

Also note I said MacBook versus PowerBook. Not MacBook Pro. :)
Same processor though.

Report this post  
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle