Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
23 crawler(s) on-line.
 90 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

OlafS25

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 OlafS25:  2 mins ago
 matthey:  8 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  32 mins ago
 Matt3k:  50 mins ago
 Kromjuice:  1 hr 11 mins ago
 Kronos:  2 hrs 2 mins ago
 Framiga:  2 hrs 8 mins ago
 amigakit:  2 hrs 52 mins ago
 clint:  3 hrs 3 mins ago
 VooDoo:  4 hrs 20 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  General Technology (No Console Threads)
      /  [Poll] Sony PS3 vs MS XBox 360
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 Next Page )
Poll : Sony PS3 vs Microsoft XBox 360 - christmas 2007 - Which will \\\\\\\"win\\\\\\\"?
Sony Playstation 3
Microsoft XBox 360

PosterThread
BrianK 
Re: [Poll] Sony PS3 vs Microsoft XBox 360 - christmas 2007 Which will "win"?
Posted on 27-Dec-2006 19:12:34
#541 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB

Quote:
BTW the game costs 2000 yen, around $16-17.

Not a bad deal then.

First shot the background is decent. Though fighters look a bit pixelated. Perhaps its the use of a camera or something. The 2nd shot doesn't look much like what the current PS3 should be capable of. The rail and sidewalk appear nearly 2D. Background looks like a static picture with a blue/white palate. This game seems to look more PS2ish then PS3.

Tekken's controls are good so if they kept them and the cost is only $16 then it's likely a good deal.

Profile     Report this post  
Anonymous 
Posted on 27-Dec-2006 19:32:16
# ]

@BrianK

Quote:
The 720p looks to be in game so a bit better. It appears to be slightly better then DOA4.

Are you serious?

Tekken: DR is a nice game and has nice graphics for a PS2/PSP title. The PS3 version is just upscaled with the same textures and everything. It still looks good, but it's hardly a next-gen stunner. For a better example of a fighting game on PS3 have a look at Ninja Gaiden.

Report this post  
BrianK 
Posted on 27-Dec-2006 20:07:45
#543 ]
Elite Member

@Trezzer

Quote:
Are you serious?

DOA4 is a pretty game. I think if they did it now, which there will be a 5, it'd look even better. Some of the scenes have too much background blur type of effect for my likings. Las Vegas is one place I can think of that just seems to be a bit blurrier then necessary.

Also that comment was from 1 screen shot ofTekken5. I believe later in the same post I denoted it's hard to make a definite decision from a single image. I've the whole DO4 pictures and playing style compared to 1 shot -- hardly a fair comparison. But that 1 shot looked decent enough. Unfortunately the next 2 he posted were not as good and look to be a PS2 warmed over game.

Last edited by BrianK on 27-Dec-2006 at 08:10 PM.

MikeB 
Posted on 27-Dec-2006 20:36:50
#544 ]
Elite Member

480p user video of Tekken 5 DR :
http://mainmirror.xboxyde.com/ffd8c2a659d43dffc53a60d4dceefd68/djm_t5.avi

Although the game would be best viewed in 1080p to fully appreciate the visual improvements (higher resolution, higher polygon count) this is not an easy task, considering the needed internet bandwidth and most PCs crawling to display such high definition videos. But by viewing this video you can judge the game runs smoothly, just like Gran Turismo HD runs great in 1080p.

Anonymous 
Posted on 27-Dec-2006 20:50:24
# ]

@MikeB

Quote:
But by viewing this video you can judge the game runs smoothly, just like Gran Turismo HD runs great in 1080p.

Undoubtedly. If the PS2 had been able to output in a higher resolution I'm pretty sure it could have done both games just as well.

Report this post  
MikeB 
Posted on 27-Dec-2006 20:58:57
#546 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB

Quote:
Also there are reports that the PS3 has sold over 100,000 units last week in Japan, so that would be more than during the Japanese launch.

It's now confirmed. Sony was able to ship and sell 101,500 units in Japan last week (420,500 total), the XBox 360 sold 30,500 units.

Apparently an additional 60,000 PS3 units has also been sold after this.

So PS3 production seems to be picking up steam further. Last week's sales had more units available than at launch.

@ Trezzer

I am sure 'Gears of War' could be done on the PS2, but not with the same visual quality.

Last edited by MikeB on 27-Dec-2006 at 09:04 PM.

Anonymous 
Posted on 27-Dec-2006 21:19:05
# ]

@MikeB

Quote:
I am sure 'Gears of War' could be done on the PS2, but not with the same visual quality.

It would pretty much have to be redesigned, but something similar could be done.
My point was that the PS2 should be perfectly capable of the level of visual quality that we're seeing on Tekken: DR on PS3. It IS just the arcade game scaled up. It looks fine. It doesn't look next-gen though - no more than, say, Novadrome on XBLA. For a $16 game it's one helluva good value though - and it looks decent too.

Quote:
the XBox 360 sold 30,500 units.

About the same number as was sold of Lost Planet btw.

Report this post  
MikeB 
Posted on 27-Dec-2006 22:00:56
#548 ]
Elite Member

@wegster

Quote:
Wow, that looks awful. Seriously, I had to check that it wasn't a PS2 title. GT3 and $ bon PS2 both look better than 'Formula 1'

The game has now been released in Japan. A XBox 360 / PS3 owner disagrees:

+ looks great
+ handles very well indeed (not tried wheel yet)
+ excellent view from in camera.
+ excellent sound *(warning - i just upgraded my sound, som everything suddenly sounds good)
+ watching suspension in replay is pretty nice
+ awesome lighting and reflections
+ weather is impressive looking

Some pictures:
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/156/335038607_c6e4ed70e7_b.jpg
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/137/335037296_57d95eff03_b.jpg
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/140/335151804_2bbb5fc9a3_b.jpg

Low quality video:
http://mainmirror.xboxyde.com/318cd35f3070c4eaa2a0ee3fb60e8d2c/djm_f1_1.avi

MikeB 
Posted on 27-Dec-2006 23:14:41
#549 ]
Elite Member

"Conclusions
The PS3 unequivocally earns its keep as a BD player for a home theater environment, although the non-gamers among you will certainly want that optional Blu-ray Disc remote. It's not quite good enough on standard DVD playback to unseat very good, up-to-date, standalone DVD players, but in all other respects it earns top scores.

Compared to Samsung's BD-P1000 and (briefly) Sony's BDP-S1 as BD players, the PS3 is superior in absolute picture quality to the former, and more than holds its own with the latter. And it kills both in terms of startup and disc access speed and overall ergonomic prowess and stability. It's just bullet proof, and aside from being the coolest looking piece of gear ever, it's the only next-gen player so far that behaves like one in every respect. And of course, its connectivity and audio decoding features are tops too, although you really need an AVR or pre/pro equipped with HDMI 1.1, or later, to unleash its potential.

All of the above would be enough to earn the PS3 a rave review as a BD player even if it were on par with the prices of the standalone BD players. But it's not- even the upscale $600 PS3 is by far the least expensive BD player available.

The PS3 performs like hell and is one of the best deals going. Not that I'd kill or injure someone over one, mind you, but I'm not sure I'd judge anyone who does too harshly after living with it. My thumb's way up on this one- PS3 rocks!"

http://www.guidetohometheater.com/hddiscplayers/1206ps3blu/index3.html

BrianK 
Posted on 27-Dec-2006 23:28:55
#550 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB

Quote:
from being the coolest looking piece of gear ever

That's simply false. As the George Foreman Grill has been out for years it's simply that Sony is reusing the shells. It looks like someone mistakenly took something out of my kitchen.

Coolest Gear Ever!

Anonymous 
Posted on 27-Dec-2006 23:53:09
# ]

@MikeB

Quote:
looks great

Doesn't look bad. Isn't mind-blowing either.

Quote:
handles very well indeed (not tried wheel yet)

If that's true they've fixed it big-time. Their previous F1 titles had pretty horrible controls.

Quote:
watching suspension in replay is pretty nice

Is he serious?

Quote:
awesome lighting and reflections

Looks decent. Wouldn't say awesome.

Quote:
weather is impressive looking

Yeah it looks pretty good.

Quote:
A XBox 360 / PS3 owner disagrees

He doesn't explicitly say that he does. You're putting those words in his mouth. I think he might but...

Either way, is it so hard to find reliable sources? I mean seriously... people who go out and get systems get them for a reason. Wanting to justify their purchase afterwards is a natural reaction by many. You've posted so many of these random ramblings by average users - not to say they're idiots or anything, but they're average users - instead of using quotes from reputable sources. Yeah, you've used some, but generally you use every last scrap of cruddy fanboy ramblings you can find. It's just hard to take seriously.

Report this post  
Anonymous 
Posted on 27-Dec-2006 23:59:36
# ]

@MikeB

Quote:
All of the above would be enough to earn the PS3 a rave review as a BD player even if it were on par with the prices of the standalone BD players. But it's not- even the upscale $600 PS3 is by far the least expensive BD player available.

That's not saying much, though, is it?

If I were interested in Bluray I'd get a PS3 for sure. It's clearly the best choice at the market if you can fit the box into your rig somewhere.

Btw I came across this article which gives a pretty fair and balanced view of things (note it has several pages). It explains what to expect from the PS3 vs the 360 and I'm inclined to agree.

Last edited by Trezzer on 28-Dec-2006 at 12:00 AM.

Report this post  
BrianK 
Posted on 28-Dec-2006 0:54:25
#553 ]
Elite Member

@Trezzer

Quote:
Btw I came across this article which gives a pretty fair and balanced view of things
Not bad. It did skimp on 2 of my favorite areas Media Center Extender capability and inline music streaming. This also provides some relief of not having more then a 20GB drive on the market.

One thing each console did wrong on the drive is use smaller laptop harddrives. The standard size is less expensive. Which you can use on the PS3 if you don't mind having the ugliness of having the harddrive outside of your PS3 w/ cables running into the harddrive slot. But with 100GB harddrives the standard size is about 2/3 as expensive. So, even if they wanted to ship the smaller harddrive they should have created a slot or spot that was capable in holding the larger and less expensive 3.5" HD.

Anonymous 
Posted on 28-Dec-2006 3:05:10
# ]

@BrianK

Quote:
It did skimp on 2 of my favorite areas Media Center Extender capability and inline music streaming.

Yeah, I couldn't do without the music capabilities. I stream music from my Mac Mini to the MacBook which has 360Connect running - which lets it share music and video just like with WMP 11. I hope something like TVersity comes out for OS X too, or I might just have to run it through Parallels when I want that functionality.

The one thing I found somewhat unfair in the article was the 360 dvd playback. I was actually stunned at the quality of DVDs over a VGA cable upscaled to 1080p/720p. I only have my mother's relatively expensive set-up (Philips Cineos 32" and an LG player with 1080i upscaling over HDMI) as well as what I've seen in various stores and my previous dvd-players on a regular TV, but the quality seems excellent. I can see artifacts of course, but I believe those are in the source material and only visible because the screen is in such a high resolution.

It would certainly be nice with larger drives, but on the other hand... I currently have 6,6 gigs free and could easily make room for more stuff if I wanted to. I have demos I keep around just to show to people who try the system for the first time.

Last edited by Trezzer on 28-Dec-2006 at 03:06 AM.

Report this post  
Anonymous 
Posted on 28-Dec-2006 3:47:57
# ]

@BrianK (EDIT: MikeB of course - sorry!)

I think I was wrong to give up on this thread. Posting 'Some user comments' and including "Whoa.. really sweet!" must be your finest criticism so far!

Bu the way, don't compare the Wiimote and the EyeToy just to score points for your favourite console. It's like trying to play Guitar Hero with a Singstar mic. Two interesting devices - it's nice that they both exist, but they are not alike.

The 360 and PS3 joyapds are comparable though and I think quite important. The Sony has its tilt features. The 360 has rumble and a modern design.

If a game uses the tilt features well, there's no competition. If it doesn't, then the PlayStation is an outmoded design. The 360 takes the best of the GameCube (sadly not the intuitive button cluster but plenty of the comfort) and the previous XBox designs (the excellent analogue sticks and triggers) which in turn were influenced by the PlayStation controllers.

It'll be interesting to see if developers are excited by the tilt feature, because it'll give the PS3 pad an edge despite not being a good joypad by today's standards.

Chris

Last edited by clebin on 28-Dec-2006 at 02:42 PM.
Last edited by clebin on 28-Dec-2006 at 03:50 AM.
Last edited by clebin on 28-Dec-2006 at 03:49 AM.

Report this post  
Anonymous 
Posted on 28-Dec-2006 5:37:19
# ]

@clebin

Didn't you actually mean to direct that post at Mike rather than Brian?

Quote:
The 360 takes the best of the GameCube (sadly not the intuitive button cluster but plenty of the comfort) and the previous XBox designs (the excellent analogue sticks and triggers) which in turn were influenced by the PlayStation controllers.

The 360 is pretty much a refinement of all controllers that have gone before it. The dual triggers originated on Saturn (the 3D controller that came with NiGHTS) and were standard on Dreamcast - I guess the first trigger was Nintendo, though, on the N64. You could say that the bumper buttons were adapter from the Playstation controller, though, since that was the first to have 4 on the back AFAIR - otherwise it'd be SNES I guess. The rumble pack first appeared on N64 along with analogue controls next to digital. Overall I guess the Xbox-controllers were first and foremost inspired by the Dreamcast controllers. The 360 got the size just right (original was too large for some, and many found Controller-S not quite perfect) and the bumper buttons are an acceptable compromise compared to having all 6 on the front which is otherwise optimal for fighters.

The GameCube's innovation in controllers was the cluster, but I for one never was on perfectly friendly terms with it. I found it more confusing than practical and the controller felt too cheap - even if it was solid enough.

Report this post  
MikeB 
Posted on 28-Dec-2006 9:13:30
#557 ]
Elite Member

@Trezzer

Quote:
Either way, is it so hard to find reliable sources? I mean seriously... people who go out and get systems get them for a reason.

I have read a lot from this guy and I trust him as a source.

Those who say the GT HD demo looks like a PS2 game, I simply don't trust as a source...
http://www.mixq8.com/uploads/uploads10/gtps3.jpg (720p shot, 1080p looks even better)

Anonymous 
Posted on 28-Dec-2006 10:35:19
# ]

@MikeB

Perhaps it's easier for you to see in this shot.

For reference here's a couple of PS2 shots (remember GT4 outputs at up to 1080i)

Shot 1
Shot 2
Shot 3

Unfortunately I couldn't find a decent quality screenshot of the mountain sequence that otherwise looks a fair bit like the GT HD scenery.

Again... It's a good looking game, so I don't understand all the fuzz. Neither GT4 nor GT HD are "photo realistic" or even close to it, though. GT4 looked nice enough ans since GT HD is a scaled up GT4 with a few improvements here and there it's all good, right?

It doesn't give GT HD next-gen effects or physics though. We'll have to wait for GT5 to see that. GT HD was a stop-gap solution and Sony never pretended it was more.

Last edited by Trezzer on 28-Dec-2006 at 10:45 AM.

Report this post  
MikeB 
Posted on 28-Dec-2006 11:03:15
#559 ]
Elite Member

@Trezzer

Quote:
Perhaps it's easier for you to see in this shot.

No, for me it's like comparing First Samurai played on the Amiga vs the c64 version. The Amiga version looks much better and couldn't be done on a c64...

OK, Tekken 5 DR hasn't seen as many improvements as the GT HD demo has, maybe you could be compare this to the differences in the c64 and Amiga versions of System 3's IK+.

Last edited by MikeB on 28-Dec-2006 at 11:05 AM.

MikeB 
Posted on 28-Dec-2006 13:18:50
#560 ]
Elite Member

@BrianK

Quote:
Tekken's controls are good so if they kept them and the cost is only $16 then it's likely a good deal.

An interesting comment regarding downloads:

"Each paid dl game can be shared abound 5 times on 5 different consoles/profiles, its like ms's saftey if your console ever broke you could redownload it to that profile. PSN is more open though and alows 5 different ps3's to download a file paid for once."

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle