Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
6 crawler(s) on-line.
 70 guest(s) on-line.
 2 member(s) on-line.

matthey,  t0lkien

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 matthey:  4 mins ago
 t0lkien:  4 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  1 hr 6 mins ago
 bhabbott:  1 hr 38 mins ago
 Hammer:  3 hrs 2 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  3 hrs 27 mins ago
 agami:  3 hrs 27 mins ago
 retrofaza:  4 hrs 5 mins ago
 Shadowrider:  4 hrs 15 mins ago
 danwood:  6 hrs 7 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  General Technology (No Console Threads)
      /  [Poll] Will the PS3 be successful in Europe?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 )
Poll : Will the PS3 be successful in Europe?
Yes
No

PosterThread
Zardoz 
Re: [Poll] Will the PS3 be successful in Europe?
Posted on 22-Feb-2007 13:53:45
#1001 ]
Team Member

@jtsiren

Well, I absolutely loved the Syphon Filter games and I didn't even have a PS1. I need to finish the third one at some point. Horrendous GFX, brilliant shooting action.

Profile     Report this post  
Anonymous 
Posted on 22-Feb-2007 13:57:33
# ]

@MikeB

Let's indeed have a look at how PS2 compares to PS3.

Here are PS2 hardware sales next to PS3 hardware sales with launches aligned.
http://www.wuergler.dk/pics/ps2ps3hw.png

As we can see the sales are not very impressive for an established brand name. Remember the PS2 had a troubled launch window like the 360 with far too few units available.

Here are PS2 software sales next to PS3 software sales with launches aligned.
http://www.wuergler.dk/pics/ps2ps3sw.png

Even though there's less of a drop percentagewise from its first month compared to the PS2 numbers, the number of sold games is extremely low compared to how the PS2 fared.

Finally let's see Xbox 360 sales compared to PS3 sales
http://www.wuergler.dk/pics/ps3360hw.png

What's of course worth noting here - and in the numbers Mike looked at above - is that the 360 was flying off shelves as fast as they got there for three or four months after launch, while PS3 hasn't had quite the same shortage issues. Obviously the PlayStation is also by far the biggest brand for mainstream consoles still. That the sales are flat-lining so early with available consoles is IMHO an ominous sign.

It is indeed good for Sony that the PS2 still has a bit of life left in it. This can however be a negative thing in the long run. While people wait for the PS3 to become cheaper, the 360 and Wii will get more and more great games and their prices will drop - and the 360 may well see a new hardware revision in the near future as well. If you had the choice between keeping your PS2 that plays all your PS2 and PS1 games and either paying £199 for a 360 Premium machine that has all the latest and greatest like Halo 3, GTA4, Alan Wake, Bioshock, Virtua Fighter 5, Too Human, Fable 2, Gears of War, Viva Piñata, Armored Core 4, Assassin's Creed, Banjo-Kazooie 3, Blue Dragon, Burnout, Call of Duty 3, Command & Conquer 3, Rain, Crackdown, Culdecept Saga, Dead or Alive 5, Elveon, Eternal Sonata, Forza Motorsport 2, Project Gotham Racing 4, Guitar Hero 2 (with more donwloadable content than any title before it), Halo Wars, Indiana Jones, Kane & Lynch, Lost Odyssey, Ninja Gaiden 2, The Darkness, Sega Rally Evo, Skate, Stranglehold, GRAW2, Two Worlds, Unreal Tournament 3 and many many many more or paying £425 for a machine that will play your old games but lack many of the next gen's most interesting franchises old and new? (There may be quite a few you don't now yet, but you certainly will soon enough)

You get quite a few games for £226.

Data courtesy of vgcharts.org.

Replaced images with links/tomazkid
Quote:
Images in threads: Images embedded in threads should be no wider than 640 pixels, larger images should be hyperlinked.

Last edited by tomazkid on 22-Feb-2007 at 03:14 PM.
Last edited by Trezzer on 22-Feb-2007 at 02:14 PM.

Report this post  
Anonymous 
Posted on 22-Feb-2007 14:06:00
# ]

@jtsiren

Quote:
This is why I never really save old game libraries when moving on, even if the new machine is compatible. I would rarely play those old games when new, more spectacular ones are available.

Heretic!

*burns jtsiren*

I've actually picked up lots of titles for Xbox after getting the 360. I bought Ninja Gaiden: Black the other day. It looks pretty awesome in 720p with extra anti-aliasing.

I tend to hold on to my systems and games. I had to stick with my original PSX for playing PlayStation games, because it was modded and I had a load of import games. I also plan to keep the PS2 around as I did the Dreamcast and the rest of my 40 systems. I must admit, however, that I have become shallow too - but in a different way. Whenever I think about picking up one of the games on my older consoles I always think "Hmm no achievements" and put on a 360 game instead - even if it's just an old arcade title.

I think the 360 might just drive me to sell most of my collection sooner or later

Report this post  
Anonymous 
Posted on 22-Feb-2007 14:07:38
# ]

@jtsiren

Quote:
Is the XNA based on Microsoft's .NET technology?

It's based on the .Net Compact Framework 2.0.

Report this post  
Tigger 
Posted on 22-Feb-2007 14:54:50
#1005 ]
Elite Member

Personal attack and OT. - AMiGR.

Quote:
Flame/Attacks: Do not flame! Flaming refers to derogatory, abusive, threatening, sarcastic, rude, or otherwise mean-spirited messages directed at members/users. Be cautious when using sarcasm and humour. Without facial expressions and tone of voice, they do not translate easily over the Internet in posts and may be perceived as flaming. Report the flame posts immediately to an Amigaworld Team Member so that the situation can be dealt with immediately. A warning may be issued depending on the severity of flame/attacks.

Quote:
Site Netiquette: We share one common ground, we are all Amiga users! Respect other opinions, even though you may not agree. Everyone is entitled to their say, but please do so in a courteous manner. Off-topic posts will be moved to the proper forum, and further action may be taken against repeat offenders.

Last edited by AMiGR on 23-Feb-2007 at 06:27 PM.

wegster 
Posted on 22-Feb-2007 15:25:49
#1006 ]
Elite Member

51 pages, many flames, and much of it way OT...thsi threads become yet another clone of Mike's previous PS3 thread(s?). At 51 pages it also distorts the forum thread view for most.

While there's some good info in this thread, it's run it's course. Thread locked. If someone wants to start yet another, go for it. If not...it may or may not be missed, depending on whom you ask

MikeB 
Posted on 22-Feb-2007 15:32:18
#1007 ]
Elite Member

@Trezzer

Your graphs are IMO confusing, according to 1 graph the PS2 sold in one month 9 Million software copies after 3 months availability in Japan. That sounds a bit much for especially for May 2000.

Comparing XBox 360 vs PS3 hardware sales is simple.

For Japan and the US, after 80 days of availability.

The PS3 sold: 1,670,000 units
The XBox 360 sold: 1,100,000 units

@ Tigger grow up and please don't try to divert this thread further.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle