Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
10 crawler(s) on-line.
 51 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 matthey:  7 mins ago
 t0lkien:  19 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  1 hr 21 mins ago
 bhabbott:  1 hr 53 mins ago
 Hammer:  3 hrs 17 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  3 hrs 42 mins ago
 agami:  3 hrs 42 mins ago
 retrofaza:  4 hrs 20 mins ago
 Shadowrider:  4 hrs 29 mins ago
 danwood:  6 hrs 22 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  General Technology (No Console Threads)
      /  [Poll] Will the PS3 be successful in Europe?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 Next Page )
Poll : Will the PS3 be successful in Europe?
Yes
No

PosterThread
Anonymous 
Re: [Poll] Will the PS3 be successful in Europe?
Posted on 27-Jan-2007 17:48:11
# ]

@MikeB

All I can say is you're not the only one getting PMs here.

I'm not about to repeat everything I've said since the threads are already available and this will be my final word on this matter. There's already misinformation in this thread, but I know that as soon as it's corrected a new pile will come flooding in. So what's the point?

No matter how much is written here it won't change a thing anyway. It's a waste of energy. There are other, greater battles out there.

And if you'll pardon me, I'll retreat to the corner with my A1, because unlike some I put my money where my mouth is.

Last edited by Trezzer on 27-Jan-2007 at 05:49 PM.

Report this post  
MikeB 
Posted on 27-Jan-2007 18:06:20
#122 ]
Elite Member

@Trezzer

Quote:
And if you'll pardon me, I'll retreat to the corner with my A1, because unlike some I put my money where my mouth is.

Lucky you. personally in the past I considered the A1/OS4 to be mainly a developer product, so IMO they should have gotten priority in times of shortages. I mainly wanted to review the finished version unknowing the final would ship without hardware (I was hoping for a nicely polished product with an Amiga logo, printed manual, keyboard with Amiga keys and such).

Despite I tried to buy an AmigaOne board from Hyperion's Timothy recently, but after the waiting and the fact that Ars Technica already wrote a nice little review, I'll just check out the latest OS4 at my friend's place every once in a while and wait for new OS4 hardware to materialize.

Last edited by MikeB on 27-Jan-2007 at 06:17 PM.

Profile     Report this post  
jiyong 
Posted on 27-Jan-2007 18:37:48
#123 ]
Cult Member

@Trezzer

Quote:

Trezzer wrote:
@MikeB

I'm not about to repeat everything I've said since the threads are already available and this will be my final word on this matter. There's already misinformation in this thread, but I know that as soon as it's corrected a new pile will come flooding in. So what's the point?

No matter how much is written here it won't change a thing anyway. It's a waste of energy. There are other, greater battles out there.

There is misinformation from BOTH sides in the several threads. We could discuss which side has provided the most misinformation (probably MikeB, since he has the highest rate of postings, but that's a statistical thing ), but I think that's beyond this discussion.

I also feel as I have been ignored when I made valid points, so you are not alone Trezzer.

Too bad I can't retreat to my A1, as I left it at home.

Probably this is going to add more oil, but I just can't resist: 360 sales target cut

emavys 
Posted on 27-Jan-2007 18:49:13
#124 ]
From: La Coruña (a nice place in the North-West coast of Spain)

Interesting post, I voted yes, it will be succesfull here in Europe but in the begining only the hardcore gamers will get it, it´s too expensive, we know it´s more than a game system but the average joe only think about it only as a console.

Once the big names in the market (FFXIII, MGS4, GT5, DMC4 and the impressive Heavenly Sword, Lair, etc) appear I think we will see a tremendous boost in the sales of PS3 no matter what people say or M$ says, it´s the same situation as the PS2, at first it has low sales due to it´s price but with the first price drop and with the exclusive titles the PS2 took the gaming world by storm, even now it clearly outsells the 360 after one year and with Gears of War for the Christmas campaign and all these 3rd generation games (experts say GOW is the first 3rd generation game for 360) even in it´s home (USA), what can I say, XBOX sold 24 millions and I don´t see the 360 reaching that number now the Wii and the PS3 are in the market, next year people will be talkind different things about how the sales of PS3 evolved, it´s my personal opinion, by the way I´ll buy one once the price drop

sloxa 
Posted on 27-Jan-2007 19:09:44
#125 ]

@emavys

its not so expensive... when ps2 come.. price is something 550$
and there are release prices end of page.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_2

Mr.Spackles 
Posted on 27-Jan-2007 19:56:57
#126 ]

80 voted YES...... the vote is fixed or there is alot of ignorant/stupid people here...

The roles have changed from the last generation. Then, the PS2 had slightly worse hardware, but it compensated in earlier release date, lower prices and most importantly, better games than Xbox. Now, the X360 has the upper hand by being cheap, earlier release and guess what? It\'s got the best games!... wake up!!!!!

minator 
Posted on 27-Jan-2007 22:31:16
#127 ]
Cult Member

@jiyong

Quote:
There is misinformation from BOTH sides in the several threads.

Agree 100%

Quote:
Probably this is going to add more oil, but I just can't resist: 360 sales target cut

Interesting, wasn't expecting that - they're just after posting big revenue gain for the games unit. They're still making a per unit loss but it's shrunk considerably since launch.

I'm wondering can that indicate they're going to hold their prices?
There is a new version due in Q3 so maybe they're holding off until then.

MikeB 
Posted on 27-Jan-2007 22:41:10
#128 ]
Elite Member

@minator

Quote:
Agree 100%

I agree as well, but I don't care too much if someone's opinions turn out to be wrong or if someone makes a mis-assumption. Mostly I try to learn from stuff from I read (I also learn from views conflicting with my own point of view), IMO without mistakes and counter-arguments there often isn't so much to learn. But I do like to keep things civil, afterall we are talking about computer technology here and not about more serious topics like poverty, wars, religions and such.

Last edited by MikeB on 27-Jan-2007 at 10:43 PM.

MikeB 
Posted on 27-Jan-2007 22:55:00
#129 ]
Elite Member

To summarize my conclusions from the two polls started by me, a majority of AmigaWorld.net visitors seem to believe that by the end of this year the PS3 will outperform the XBox 360 and a majority seem to believe the PS3 becomes successful in Europe.

That's what I wanted to know, somewhat giving substance to my preconceptions. Thanks to all who've come out to play.

Last edited by MikeB on 27-Jan-2007 at 10:57 PM.

Hannibal_Smith 
Posted on 27-Jan-2007 23:03:45
#130 ]

@MikeB

Why did you even bother with a poll? Surely the title of the thread should be 'The PS3 WILL be sucessful in Europe, don't argue with me because I'm not going to listen'?

Mr.Spackles 
Posted on 27-Jan-2007 23:20:31
#131 ]

yeah why bother to do a poll when you mikeB is so sure and got all your ignorant or none console users to vote.... it sure looks like the amiga people dont know s**h about what consoles is about today(nothing new there)... at this stage the ps3 is pretty much not where it happen, but as long its not microsoft i guess all amigan that did vote did go for the ps3 becouse all things done by microsoft is evil,rigth?....

jiyong 
Posted on 28-Jan-2007 0:12:07
#132 ]
Cult Member

@Mr.Spackles

Please grow up. Just because the majority of voters doesn't agree with you means they know nothing about consoles? Now that's an intelligent line of reasoning.

You are right that the PS3 is not yet where it wants to be, but I (and some, or even many others) are confident that will change. Let's just see what happens when Virtua Fighter 5 launches in Japan.

Let's just wait and see until the end of March when the PS3 is launched in Europe. You have your opinion that it will fail, we see things differently. But until the time is there, neither of us can claim he is right.

With postings like yours, you are not going to convince me that the PS3 is going to fail.

And one last note, I am ashamed that an Amigan is posting like you do. At least, I assume you are an Amigan.

Mr.Spackles 
Posted on 28-Jan-2007 1:51:45
#133 ]

@jiyong

i am not ashamed at all i am a proud amigan, and i dont let me trick into something when i know how much lies and crap sony have promised with their consol, this alot of people seems to forget. when it comes to amigans and microsoft hate like yours, i know what you will support and try to get other people that dont know to support. its nothing new anything anti microsoft you will support. but i can tell you this much and i am not ashamed, for once microsoft keept their promise and deliver. a product that is better than sony......... sony get what is coming to them, they killed of dreamcast with a dvd player and now their just to ahead of their time and gotta pay the price for their stupidy... you should think that sony learned something from the sega and their to prospective console, but no.... they do the same... xbox360 will be the winning part when it comes to leading game console on the marked, you cant hide that....

treqie 
Posted on 28-Jan-2007 10:31:51
#134 ]

@MikeB

I like Amiga, 360, PS3, Wii.. etc. But for you, it looks so personal, like you just have to change people's minds. :P
"Look damnit! The screenshots looks so great! and check these statements, I'm not lying - Sony can't be less than awesome! "

:)

MikeB 
Posted on 28-Jan-2007 11:12:41
#135 ]
Elite Member

@treqie

I would be dissapointed if the PS3 would "fail" and AmigaOS4.x would never find its way onto the PS3, but I won't ever attack those who think differently.

Personally I prefer to read messages from people who write their messages with "I think", "probably / maybe" or "in my opinion" with regard to speculations, I believe speculations are just fine combined with some argumentation. I do dislike people with writing styles like: "It's like this and everyone who doesn't agree is insane". I also dislike shoutings like: "Liar" or "Sony / M$ spokeman" approaches when someone runs out of arguments.

IMO in the PS3 discussions so far Jorge, Minator and also Wegster came up with some of the most informative postings. And your postings treqie, IMO so far hasn't really added anything to the discussion, at most what you added is a distraction from actual discussion.

Last edited by MikeB on 28-Jan-2007 at 11:14 AM.

hatschi 
Posted on 28-Jan-2007 11:27:07
#136 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB

Quote:
I would be dissapointed if the PS3 would "fail"

Did you ever define what "successful in Europe" exactly means to you (regarding the original poll-question)?
Just by only looking at the discussion of sales figures (not only in this thread), I get the impression that peoples definition of "how many million sales=success" is substantially different. Is it only about reaching more sales than XBox360 within the same time-frame after launch or how many millions need to be sold to make it "successful" for you? This would make it easier to look back after a year and see if your prediction was met.

Maybe you should have discussed that in your first post in this thread, instead of linking to yet another buttload of screenshots.

Btw, what are your plans with "Fun Computing"? Is there already a website/place-holder to look at?

Last edited by hatschi on 28-Jan-2007 at 11:28 AM.

treqie 
Posted on 28-Jan-2007 11:27:42
#137 ]

@MikeB

I'd be surprised if OS4 is released on PS3. Why do it? I have never understood the meaning on running geeky stuff on a game console. "Yeah, the new ps3 is out! I just have to install Linux on it" just because you can.

Sometimes people need a distraction. "I think this will win." "I think they are teh d00med", "$console will rule this year". People always need to have an opinion on everything, and this kind discussion often tend to get heated with fanboyism.

MikeB 
Posted on 28-Jan-2007 12:02:23
#138 ]
Elite Member

@hatschi

Quote:
Did you ever define what "successful in Europe" exactly means to you (regarding the original poll-question)?

For everyone successful wil mean different things, some will see successful as being profitable for others eventually selling at least as many units as the PSX and PS2 did. IMO such differences doesn't matter so much for this poll. It was more to see if the glass is half empthy or half full for the voters.

For me at least the PS3 will need to do better in Europe than the XBox 360 did so far (during the same timespan of availability of course, as Rome wasn't build in a day), apart from in the UK the XBox 360 didn't do so well in Europe. I would be happy if the PS3 does equally as well in the UK.

I expect the PS3 to do very well in Japan when the Final Fantasy series, Metal Gear Solid 4 and the new Kingdom Hearts are released.

Square Enix:
"We are developing Final Fantasy XIII and Final Fantasy Versus XIII using the full power of the PlayStation 3 and hope to make them the best games we have ever released," he said, adding, "We expect the PlayStation 3 to sell very well in the UK, Europe and other PAL territories."

These series are highly anticipated in Japan.

Quote:
Btw, what are your plans with "Fun Computing"? Is there already a website/place-holder to look at?

TBA

Last edited by MikeB on 28-Jan-2007 at 12:10 PM.
Last edited by MikeB on 28-Jan-2007 at 12:04 PM.

Cheese 
Posted on 28-Jan-2007 12:58:37
#139 ]

@Mr.Spackles

"i am not ashamed at all i am a proud amigan, and i dont let me trick into something when i know how much lies and crap sony have promised with their consol, this alot of people seems to forget."

Ehm, iirc that's what being a proud amigan is all about : being tricked into something when you know how much lies and crap has been promised already

"Delving into the past can be a dangerous exercise." -hyperionmp

"I've been a supporter of "REACTION" GUI because is an Amiga OS thing." -Snuffy

"I personally prefer a vision of do'ers and makers rather than

hatschi 
Posted on 28-Jan-2007 13:38:45
#140 ]
Elite Member

@Cheese

Quote:
Ehm, iirc that's what being a proud amigan is all about : being tricked into something when you know how much lies and crap has been promised already

Yeah, but being Amigans we all know that these promises only failed because of an industry-wide conspiracy. I am sure that Bill Gates paid all those companies who wanted to bring up "Amiga NG" hardware to not release it. If it would have been released, Amiga would have immediately killed x86/Windows due to its vast superiority.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle