Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
40 crawler(s) on-line.
 49 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 amyren:  8 mins ago
 matthey:  11 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  17 mins ago
 Rob:  33 mins ago
 t0lkien:  1 hr 1 min ago
 amigakit:  1 hr 4 mins ago
 MEGA_RJ_MICAL:  1 hr 16 mins ago
 zipper:  1 hr 41 mins ago
 dirkzwager:  2 hrs 4 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  2 hrs 10 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  The Amiga Initiative (or where to find PPC Hardware).
Register To Post

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
Mikey_C 
The Amiga Initiative (or where to find PPC Hardware).
Posted on 21-Oct-2007 23:22:35
#1 ]
Elite Member

Hello all.

With the announcement of OS4 for Classic now only a short matter of time away. I would like to help the amiga community two fold. Thus.

1: there is poll elsewhere up and running where I am asking those Amiga hoarders out there (you know who you are) to consider selling your spare PPC card/hardware.

Take a minute to fill in the poll and then post within the comments section, stating what PPC card you have, how much you want for it and your location. Heck you can even link your ebay ad to it if you want within the comment.
- Please, if you have it spare, consider selling it. Someone out there sure could use it.

Alternatively, if you are looking for Classic PPC hardware, also take part, stating what you need, how much you are willing to pay and where you are.

2: Live 'C' Programming Event in UK.
Is no longer restricted to A1 users, if you can run OS4 and want to take a 1 day seminar on the basics of programming C on Amiga OS4, please get in touch.

If you don't have an account at the other place, drop me a PM here, I will post it on there on your behalf.

Closing dates for both initiatives will be November 30th 2007.

Cheers

Mikey C
Don't forget to check back there often

Last edited by Mikey_C on 24-Oct-2007 at 08:12 AM.

Profile     Report this post  
Mikey_C 
Re: The Amiga Initiative.
Posted on 22-Oct-2007 9:07:37
#2 ]
Elite Member

@All

Please see Here for latest Amiga PPC hardware on sale.

This includes everything from Amibench.org, Amigaworld.net, Amigans.net and of course ebay.

Unless of course, you know different.

BrianHoskins 
Posted on 22-Oct-2007 9:57:39
#3 ]
Cult Member

@Mikey_C

I've got two PPC cards in my posession but I haven't sold them on because I'm unable to confirm their current status. Last known status was that they were working, and I have no reason to believe they wouldn't work now, but I don't have the hardware to confirm it anymore.

One is a 200Mhz PPC / 040, the other is a 160Mhz PPC / 040. The 160Mhz one is missing a heatsink for the PPC.

I could consider putting them on Ebay I guess. Maybe as a job-lot.

Brian

Mikey_C 
Posted on 22-Oct-2007 10:09:20
#4 ]
Elite Member

@BrianHoskins

That's just the sort of thing I had in mind when I started this. If you don't get anyone local volunteering, send the cards to me. I will take them to the next ANT (usergroup) meeting, test them on the club machine and let you know. (we will even send them on for you if you decide to sell 'em)

PM me if you are interested.

Anyone else, 2 Untested PPC cards going in South Wales. PM BrianHoskins if you're interested.

Will add you to the main list Brian.

Last edited by Mikey_C on 22-Oct-2007 at 10:10 AM.

BinoX 
Posted on 22-Oct-2007 10:11:59
#5 ]
Cult Member

@Mikey_C

Not ready to sell mine yet, but I am moving house early next year, and if cash gets too tight, something is gunna have to go!

SpaceDruid 
Posted on 22-Oct-2007 10:21:07
#6 ]
From: Inside the mind of a cow on a planet that's flying through space at 242.334765 miles per second.

@Mikey_C

I know the announcement has been made an all, but there is still the matter of the courtcase. Wouldn't it be wise to wait til the OS is actually available for sale before shelling out on hardware? Amiga Inc could easily put the sales on hold through legal means seeing as ownership of OS4 is still under review.

Google Translate

adiaux 
Posted on 22-Oct-2007 11:00:52
#7 ]

@Mikey_C

If you want to conduct polls on the amigaworld.net audience I really think you should use the poll functions on *this* site, where the audience actually is, so that people won't have to register to a site they may not be welcome to and/or have no intention to visit anyway? And while your fetishism for polls is well known by now, I question the way of using polls for this kind of things, especially when they are conducted on a foreign site together with "ads" over here with the obvious purpose of leeching visitors and nothing else.

People know where to find e-bay, and people know where to find amigaworld.net's or amiga.org's classifieds sections if they want to buy or sell their gear. A simple encouragement to do just that is better, like this:

Hey Good Amigans!

If you have any Amiga Gear to sell that you are not using anyway, like for instance CSPPC/BPPC cards, then now will be a good time to put it to market, since Hyperion is about to release OS4 for this kind of hardware. This will revitalize this second hand market and it will probably be easier than ever to sell second gear now, and you may *never* again get a price as good as now!

Market places that are known to have lots of gear-hungry Amigans lurching around with their wallets open and ready to strike a deal are:

Now let's get the market going! Put your ads out there, and spread the word around about it!

That way there will be no need for anyone to bother registering at your site!

Last edited by takemehomegrandma on 22-Oct-2007 at 11:02 AM.

Mikey_C 
Posted on 22-Oct-2007 11:52:49
#8 ]
Elite Member

@takemehomegrandma

Unlike you, I have no hidden agenda's. My only aim is to get as many Amiga users running OS4 as possible. Whilst I have indeed posted the main thrust on the other site (notice I haven't prominently named it) I have taken great care to not promote it directly. Indeed, I have made sure that I have given this site it's due credit. I have even asked people to PM me here and not provided a direct link to me there. Read both posts on the two sites and you will see that I have changed it substantialy for this site.

As to the polls, I didn't see the point in posting the same poll twice. That would be stupid.

My only aim is to help out, your only aim is to bash anything I do. Well, sorry, it ain't gonna work I am gonna keep on promoting OS4 until you are blue in the face,

For the last time I am not promoting the other site, I am only interested in helping out the Amiga Community, As I have always done.

Last edited by Mikey_C on 22-Oct-2007 at 11:56 AM.

OldFart 
Posted on 22-Oct-2007 12:36:03
#9 ]
Elite Member
From: Stad; en d'r is moar ain stad en da's Stad. Makkelk zat!

@takemehomegrandma

In your list of locations where to buy and/or sell goods Amiga related you sorely missed out on AmiBench! This is a well respected site with the sole purpose of bringing buyers and sellers together.

Pity.

OldFart

Kronos 
Posted on 22-Oct-2007 14:30:12
#10 ]
Elite Member

@Mikey_C

Quote:

Mikey_C wrote:
@takemehomegrandma

Unlike you, I have no hidden agenda's.

Yup, you have only one agenda (making yourself feel important that is), and you fail miserably at hiding it ......

So for once I just have to aggree with you

Now back to the usual nonsense .....

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 22-Oct-2007 15:16:01
#11 ]
Elite Member

@Mikey_C

I think its good effort. I hope the once that have some old PPC equipment that they are not going to use will drag it out of there attic and basement, there seams to be market for this old stuff, I know many that have AmigaOne owners do have old PowerUp cards they may not be using, they should sell it, hopeful more developers will get hold of this boards and more software will be generated.

SpaceDruid 
Posted on 22-Oct-2007 15:17:32
#12 ]
From: Inside the mind of a cow on a planet that's flying through space at 242.334765 miles per second.

Since when has it become an acceptable practice to flame one another on these forums? This ain't Moobunny.

Google Translate

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 22-Oct-2007 15:22:30
#13 ]
Elite Member

@SpaceDruid

It looks more like wrong planet comments too me

Clearly Mikey is not allowed to start any type of inactive that might help people interesting in OS4 finding hardware, it shame that people are wasting there time to bad moth good efforts.

ChrisH 
Posted on 22-Oct-2007 15:27:15
#14 ]
Elite Member

@Mikey_C
I think your accusation of takemehomegrandma having a hidden agenda was totally uncalled for:
* He made no reference to any *other* OS (say beginning with M).
* He made a very good point (registering at a site they aren't welcome at or intend to visit)
and IMHO you should make an apology. Perhaps you made it in retaliation to his accusation about "ads" (which wasn't appropriate either & I think he should retract that too), but two wrongs don't make a right.

Kronos's comments about you weren't appropriate either.

Seer 
Posted on 22-Oct-2007 15:33:37
#15 ]
Team Member

@ChrisH

Agreed, well said. Thanks for saving me from typing a new message (got a time out whilst deleting an AR, should have known not to do both at the same time)..

Ok, with that said, back on the topic Mikey_C started, the rest can be done in a friendly PM.

/Edit.... a typo...

Last edited by Seer on 22-Oct-2007 at 03:34 PM.
Last edited by Seer on 22-Oct-2007 at 03:34 PM.

Kicko 
Posted on 22-Oct-2007 16:44:00
#16 ]
Elite Member

A good move Mikey. Non used PPC's to the people that wants'em :)

adiaux 
Posted on 22-Oct-2007 18:29:02
#17 ]

@NutsAboutAmiga

I think it's a very good thing to highlight the second hand market at this point. Who knows how many CSPPC/BPPC cards out there that are still functional but aren't currently being used. Or even classic PPC systems altogether. An increased second hand market would also help OS4 (and other PPC based OS's that runs on classic Amigas of course ) through a potentially larger base of *active* users.

DonnieA2 
Posted on 22-Oct-2007 18:39:45
#18 ]
Cult Member

@Mikey_C

Can you direct me to the "announcement".. I want to see it either from Hyperion or Amiga Inc. or both..

Quote:
With the announcement of OS4 for Classic now only a short matter of time away.

I really don't like seeing things when they are unattributable, considering the state of everything that has happened with the lawsuit. If it doesn't happen it will just be giving the community false hope.

Do you actually have proof this is going to happen (besides the so-called "beta testers") can you point me at some announcement by Bill McEwan that will tell me this in a very "matter of fact" way. You say "short matter of time" in Amiga time frame this could be years..

If you can't prove it, this kind of wording isn't doing the community any favors.

Mikey_C 
Posted on 22-Oct-2007 19:15:11
#19 ]
Elite Member

removed; off topic and against moderator request.
Seer

@oldfart

I didn't leave out Amibench. As a matter of fact it was my very ]first port of call, but there is no recently advertised PPC equipment contained within its pages.

Now, if I may, I would like to get back to the matter at hand, getting more PPC cards out there to people who have none.

Last edited by Seer on 22-Oct-2007 at 11:25 PM.

Mikey_C 
Posted on 22-Oct-2007 19:18:15
#20 ]
Elite Member

@DonnieA2

I think all Amiga users are quite aware how fragile promises are within the Amiga market. We have all lived through bitter disappointments over the years.

That is why, I am pretty certain that Rogue, etc would not be talking about it in the manner he has been were not Hyperion 100% certain that they have the right to release the product.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle