Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
12 crawler(s) on-line.
 106 guest(s) on-line.
 2 member(s) on-line.

matthey,  t0lkien

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 matthey:  1 min ago
 t0lkien:  1 min ago
 pixie:  6 mins ago
 Rob:  12 mins ago
 amigakit:  34 mins ago
 sibbi:  39 mins ago
 leadman:  1 hr 10 mins ago
 Matt3k:  1 hr 21 mins ago
 Lou:  1 hr 40 mins ago
 OlafS25:  1 hr 41 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  PLEASE, STOP THIS NONSENSE TRIAL!!!
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
PosterThread
TheDaddy 
Re: PLEASE, STOP THIS NONSENSE TRIAL!!!
Posted on 11-Jan-2008 22:31:58
#41 ]
Elite Member

@Darth_X

I must have missed it...but what happened? Is amigans.net different?

Could you explain, what is the difference between amigaworld and amigans.net?

Thanks.

Profile     Report this post  
hatschi 
Posted on 11-Jan-2008 22:35:08
#42 ]
Elite Member

@takemehomegrandma

Quote:
But come on, do you *seriously* consider a hack to use trashed/second hand Apple G4 hardware as *a way forward*?

In the current situation? Yes.
At least a bigger leap forward than OS4 on Efika or Sam440.

wegster 
Posted on 11-Jan-2008 22:52:58
#43 ]
Elite Member

@takemehomegrandma

Quote:

takemehomegrandma wrote:
@AmigaBlitter

Quote:
What's the best solution for you?

"Give yourself to the dark side."

Sorry, I fail to see how ANOTHER OS without hardware or an updated release would help...anyone?
(yes yes, it's coming, it's coming, we know. So is OS4 hardware, and of course, OS5 :-/ )

wegster 
Posted on 11-Jan-2008 22:56:18
#44 ]
Elite Member

@takemehomegrandma

Quote:

takemehomegrandma wrote:
@wegster

Quote:
It's hard to say. Not a single company has managed to produce an OS4 capable system that isn't woefully overpriced and underspecced (one of the two is OK, but not both)...except Efika, which isn't for sale any longer.

The Efika is still listed as "in stock" at directron.com. Besides that, "When MorphOS 2.0 is released we will release a new batch of the original 5200B based EFIKA".

But the Efika is (and always was) a reference platform. The *real* products will look in the line of these! *This* is where MorphOS/AmigaOS/AROS has a chance to shine!

"There will be follow on chips to the 5121e, some with graphics and some without".

Quote:
The best potential that was there would have seemed to have been Moana, had it been completed. But then, even before the court cases, no licenses were being granted, either.

But come on, do you *seriously* consider a hack to use trashed/second hand Apple G4 hardware as *a way forward*? Where is the commercial future in that? Is this really the current state of the community, when the hope has crashed down to something like that?

Don't know of anyone who's ordered an Efika from Directron...until someone has received, it's just another site that may not update based on inventory. If we look hard enough, we can still find Amiga sites listing A1s for sale, but that doesn't mean there are any, either.

RE: Moana/mini etc.
*shrug* There are far more of them, for good bang/buck performance, versus anything I've seen from Genesi, EyeTech, ACube, or any of the others to date. That doesn't mean I'm unwilling to be pleasantly surprised, but yes, compared to past attempts, I'd gladly take the mini over other options, assuming it were completed...followed by an ibook port, of course

And yes, we've heard the same time and again- MOS3 is coming...some year. Same for Efika 2. When it's here, for purchase and actual use, you can then feel justified in it being anything different than another Troika or AInc announcement

AmigaBlitter 
Posted on 11-Jan-2008 23:18:19
#45 ]
Elite Member

@takemehomegrandma

hehehe

You are tempting me.

But i'm sure there are other option.
BTW MOS it's a nice OS.

adiaux 
Posted on 11-Jan-2008 23:47:23
#46 ]

@AmigaHeretic

Isn't it obvious that there is a lot happening on the PPC right now? I think it's a little sad that some people look at this like it would be any way "backwards", when it in fact is state of the art technology! These are very interesting products, and possibilities goes way beyond these. But then, those people has no realistic view of what Amiga is, what it is not, what it can be, what it can not be. Those people seems to believe that AmigaOS has any relevance whatsoever on the commercial desktop market, hence they compare everything to Wintel. In fact, what those people really want is in fact a Wintel box. If those people should have any say, the platform would *truly* die.

We already have two very good OS's for the power hungry desktop market, they are called Windows and MacOS.

The current incarnation of these OS's has taken at least a decade in development to reach where they are now, using budgets comparable to the GNP of smaller countries, and they have the support of major industry players, like Adobe. Can't you see the heavy weight momentum there? But you think that if only AmigaOS would run on a 3GHz x86 machine everything will automatically solve, all pieces will come together? What would you use all that power for? Checking mails *really fast* in simple mail?

There are *no* reasons to run rendering software, image processing software, heavy calculating software or any such whatsoever on Amiga, since *NO ONE IN THEIR RIGHT MIND* would do this outside Windows with 3D Studio Max, Photoshop, etc. No one would even develop the applications. It's pointless! It's *doomed* to fail. Heck, even MacOS lack application support compared to Windows. Get a grip of reality people!

MorphOS, AROS, AmigaOS does not have a multi user environment, no SMP support, no true memory protection, etc. It "lacks" (not really IMHO) a lot of things. IMHO this is very good, and should not change. It is very small, lean and very effective. This is its (only?) strength. If you want a commercial future, then *this* is where you should capitalize.

Look at those videos of MorphOS 2.0 running on a 400MHz Efika. 3D games, DVD quality video, 3D desktop, all *extremely* fast. This is kind of unique IMHO. This is where the future is.

This device...

... can do all this, and things will be *even faster* than the Efika! It has WiFi, Bluetooth, 3D graphics, USB2, 800 MIPS, and a power consumption that is *extremely low*. This is state of the art! The same platform on an extremely powerful HDTV, with features and performance that at least I have never seen on a television set anywhere else. MorphOS would run *like no other OS* on all these devices. This is the commercial future of the platform...

Desktop MHz isn't the key, it isn't the answer, far from it. I wonder why we don't see 3GHz Quad Core Intel machines with 8800GT graphics in television sets, set top boxes and handheld gear of cell phone sizes, when this is "so forward"? Gee...

Since Amiga doesn't need 2008 class desktop hardware (it doesn't need powerful hardware at all), we should dedicate development resources towards creative use of limited system resources instead in order to strengthen its offering for these kind of markets, focus on smart solutions like Reggae and make sure it supports all important media formats, create WiFi tools, Bluetooth, TV tuner software with EPG, OSD, etc. The Hollywood software would rock in this context! More like that! It's the way forward!

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 11-Jan-2008 23:52:12
#47 ]
Elite Member

@hatschi

I don't think any company will market old Mac hardware for AmigaOS4,

While new consumer electronic gadget like DVD player will always be marked.

while I love to have OS4 for Desktop Apple computers like IMac or MacMini, I think the cash cow is in the consumer electronics where one buys product to do x and y. PS3 is the ideal box, but if Hyperion found an device that did not have primary os already then that will be even better.

personally I don't care if its a 200mhz or 3ghz dual/quad core computer become Hyperion is not selling hw but the os that runs on the hw devices, whit increased profit more developers can work full time on it, as result the work load can be divided and development goes faster.

adiaux 
Posted on 11-Jan-2008 23:52:58
#48 ]

@wegster

Quote:
Sorry, I fail to see how ANOTHER OS without hardware or an updated release would help...anyone?
(yes yes, it's coming, it's coming, we know. So is OS4 hardware, and of course, OS5 :-/ )

OS4 hardware is blocked because of other reasons, and so is OS4. AmigaOS5 is... well, it's McBill's latest crack trip, what can one say?

No such things are holding MorphOS back. I have full confidence in the MorphOS team. Nothing in the past makes me doubt neither their capabilities nor their ambitions.

Darth_X 
Posted on 11-Jan-2008 23:54:09
#49 ]
Elite Member

@takemehomegrandma

Just because limepc is power architecture based doesn't mean morphos team will support even if we want them to.

They'd be crazy not to!

adiaux 
Posted on 11-Jan-2008 23:56:20
#50 ]

@wegster

Quote:
Don't know of anyone who's ordered an Efika from Directron...until someone has received, it's just another site that may not update based on inventory. If we look hard enough, we can still find Amiga sites listing A1s for sale, but that doesn't mean there are any, either.

People report doing this from time to time. And it's not like Directron is some Amiga basement hobby thing you know...

tonyw 
Posted on 11-Jan-2008 23:56:44
#51 ]
Elite Member

@takemehomegrandma

Crikey! I think that (#46) is the most intelligent post I've ever read on this or any other Amiga forum.

Last edited by tonyw on 11-Jan-2008 at 11:57 PM.

Hyperion Support Forum: http://forum.hyperion-entertainment.biz/index.php

adiaux 
Posted on 11-Jan-2008 23:58:26
#52 ]

@AmigaBlitter

"AmigaBlitter... Riiiiiiize"

Darth_X 
Posted on 12-Jan-2008 0:06:50
#53 ]
Elite Member

useless discussion of differences in sites removed - wegster

Last edited by wegster on 12-Jan-2008 at 01:02 AM.

Chip 
Posted on 12-Jan-2008 0:09:26
#54 ]
Cult Member

@takemehomegrandma

Quote:
OS4 hardware is blocked because of other reasons, and so is OS4.

vs

Quote:
No such things are holding MorphOS back.

Please explain, why the so called "blocked" OS has been released for Classic machines recently, while the non-blocked and your beloved and every minute advertised OS had no updates for years? Where is your wonderful MOS1.5 ? In the same place as AmigaOS5...

You should boring so much by watching your videos if you have such amount of time for advertising this in every topic you are posting to.

I wonder when will you see, nobody cares about your SPAM. See the light: agitating won't help, pal.

hatschi 
Posted on 12-Jan-2008 0:12:47
#55 ]
Elite Member

@NutsAboutAmiga

Quote:
I don't think any company will market old Mac hardware for AmigaOS4,

I don't think so either. But it would have been the only realistic chance for OS4 to reach something called "userbase". The current number of installations doesn't deserve that name.

Chip 
Posted on 12-Jan-2008 0:12:53
#56 ]
Cult Member

my site is bigger than your site content removed - wegster

Last edited by wegster on 12-Jan-2008 at 01:03 AM.

Darth_X 
Posted on 12-Jan-2008 0:13:19
#57 ]
Elite Member

further off topic removed - wegster

Last edited by wegster on 12-Jan-2008 at 01:03 AM.

Chip 
Posted on 12-Jan-2008 0:13:54
#58 ]
Cult Member

@hatschi

And it would be good as a development platform as well.

Darth_X 
Posted on 12-Jan-2008 0:16:10
#59 ]
Elite Member

trolling and site comparisons removed - wegster

Last edited by wegster on 12-Jan-2008 at 01:04 AM.

Chip 
Posted on 12-Jan-2008 0:18:21
#60 ]
Cult Member

reply to trolling removed - wegster

Last edited by wegster on 12-Jan-2008 at 01:04 AM.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle