Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
19 crawler(s) on-line.
 149 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 matthey:  5 mins ago
 Ratta:  20 mins ago
 Dragster:  26 mins ago
 pixie:  26 mins ago
 amigakit:  34 mins ago
 Matt3k:  45 mins ago
 AMIGASYSTEM:  46 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  51 mins ago
 kolla:  1 hr 13 mins ago
 Karlos:  1 hr 22 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  amiga inc updated. AA2 !!! and os 5.0
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 )
PosterThread
number6 
Re: amiga inc updated. AA2 !!! and os 5.0
Posted on 13-Feb-2008 16:36:32
#241 ]
Elite Member

@thread

02/11/08

Quote:
Microsoft's press conference

Microsoft's press conference took place at 3PM local time in Hotel Catalonia Plaza, which, fortunately, is just at the other side of the Espana square, facing the entrance of MWC and is, therefore, easy to get there. In addition, it has a more or less working Wi-Fi network, which isn't really the case with the press section of MWC, where I've wasted at least one hour desperately tryng to access the Internet. (Finally, I had to use a local PC and transfer files to be uploaded by a storage card). Pretty much stone-age, I know.
This event will surely be thoroughly covered by other mags, so, I only very shortly sumarize it. First, the most important announcement was Microsoft's announcing they would invest far more effort on gaming and entertainment. (For the platform's gaming capabilities, they've used the Amiga Inc. game I've reviewed some days ago and also called very cool.) I really hope this indeed materializes - at least via the non-HTC players; most importantly, Sony.

source

02/01/08
the prior review referred to above

Profile     Report this post  
DiscreetFX 
Posted on 13-Feb-2008 19:27:57
#242 ]
Elite Member

Amiga turned into some game engine subservient to Microsoft, no thanks.

Last edited by DiscreetFX on 13-Feb-2008 at 07:28 PM.

d0c 
Posted on 13-Feb-2008 19:34:17
#243 ]
Cult Member

hilarious even microsoft are being screwed into bill mcewens cunning scam....

Hondo 
Posted on 13-Feb-2008 20:10:03
#244 ]

@DiscreetFX

So what do you think should happen with amiga?????

Making a killer multimedia/games engine is not the stupidest move, considering that's what the amiga was famous for.

Manu 
Posted on 13-Feb-2008 20:19:25
#245 ]

@Hondo

Killer ? Hah, I believe it when I see it.
I have no high hopes for this one either.

Hondo 
Posted on 13-Feb-2008 20:29:59
#246 ]

@Manu

Okay maybe I exaggerated that one, but honestly I think the demonstration did look really good and fast!!

DiscreetFX 
Posted on 13-Feb-2008 21:10:18
#247 ]
Elite Member

@Hondo

Amiga Inc. a killer? Maybe they are trying to do some mass murder to the Amiga legacy.

Plaz 
Posted on 13-Feb-2008 22:35:47
#248 ]

@SpaceDruid

Quote:
Oh damn it to hell.. You've got me talking about this again.

It's like watching my favorite serial.

(Bugger, I need spend more time in my little studio and less time watching these reruns )

Plaz

fairlanefastback 
Posted on 13-Feb-2008 22:54:12
#249 ]
Team Member

@Hondo

Quote:

Hondo wrote:
@Manu

Okay maybe I exaggerated that one, but honestly I think the demonstration did look really good and fast!!

There is video of this MS press conference where they show an Amiga game? I did not see a link to a video on that page that #6 quotes, where did you see it? I'd be curious to watch it. Or are you talking about Digital Experience again at Amiga's table instead?

Either way, if Amiga games are being shown at MS press conferences that bodes well for Amiga in some way. Definately interesting news. Hopefully more details will come to light on this event.

Last edited by fairlanefastback on 13-Feb-2008 at 11:00 PM.

Amiga 1200

fairlanefastback 
Posted on 13-Feb-2008 23:06:04
#250 ]
Team Member

@all

Quote:
Microsoft Press Conference

Microsoft Mobile World Congress Press Conference
When: Monday 11th February, 3pm-4pm (CET)
Where: Microsoft Executive Meeting Center (EMC), Hotel Catalonia Plaza, Pza Espana 6-8, Barcelona

Please Join Robbie Bach, President, Entertainment and devices Division, and Pieter Knook, Senior Vice President, Mobile Communications Business at Microsoft’s annual Mobile World Congress Press Conference. Q/A to follow.

Not attending in person? No problem! Visit Microsoft’s Mobile World Congress website for details on viewing the webcast and participating in the Q/A via Live Meeting.

above quote from:
http://tinyurl.com/2slyv8

Microsoft Official Site for the event:
http://tinyurl.com/2v6sae

Link to Press Conference Video:
http://tinyurl.com/2smt46
(was not working when I tried it though)

Last edited by fairlanefastback on 13-Feb-2008 at 11:11 PM.
Last edited by fairlanefastback on 13-Feb-2008 at 11:10 PM.

Amiga 1200

Hondo 
Posted on 14-Feb-2008 0:17:46
#251 ]

@fairlanefastback

I were referring to the CES video

fairlanefastback 
Posted on 14-Feb-2008 1:32:47
#252 ]
Team Member

@Hondo

Quote:

Hondo wrote:
@fairlanefastback

I were referring to the CES video

The Digital Experience videos (near CES but not part of it) didn't show much besides a window of some lines moving around on a laptop running Fedora Linux. To me that dosen't really show us that its an environment that is "really good and fast!!". I think its a bit premature to say that personally. All the more reason though it would be nice to actually see this Microsoft press conference.

Last edited by fairlanefastback on 14-Feb-2008 at 01:34 AM.
Last edited by fairlanefastback on 14-Feb-2008 at 01:34 AM.

Amiga 1200

ChrisH 
Posted on 2-Mar-2008 17:24:43
#253 ]
Elite Member

@SpaceDruid & fairlanefastback
With due respect, I don't think that either one of you can PROVE that Amiga Inc is "good" or "bad". There are simply too few facts to come to one conclusion or another, which is part of the problem (people have to make guesses, based upon personal feelings).

With regards to SpaceDruid's suspicions that fairlanefastback isn't as unbiased as he claims (given his posting record), I think that his suspicions have merit. That's not to say that SpaceDruid is completely right, but fiarlanefastback ought to give some thought as to whether he is as truely unbiased as he claims.

With regard to SpaceDruid's own claim of being the (only) unbiased observer here (due to not being involved in the Red vs Blue war), well, I have argued with him about that in the past, without agreement. But I will repeat myself by pointing out that he manages to ignore a pattern in Amiga Inc's history (in a perhaps on-purposely devils-advocate position), which would lead to a less rosy picture of Amiga Inc. And also his habit of lumping all "anti-Amiga Inc" people together, as if they all believed the same things (something which I objected him doing to me in the past, which lead to it's own argument that he wasn't doing so).

edit: And for added irony: Yes, I happen to think that *I* am the most objective person here for Amiga Inc. Perhaps we can start a club for "I'm more objective about Amiga Inc than anyone else"?

Last edited by ChrisH on 02-Mar-2008 at 05:44 PM.

billt 
Posted on 2-Mar-2008 17:35:49
#254 ]
Elite Member

@Hondo

Quote:
Making a killer multimedia/games engine is not the stupidest move, considering that's what the amiga was famous for.

Not necessarily a stupid move, but I see a problem with it. Who here feels the guys in charge at Amiga Inc. have the ability to do that? Not me. A mediocre implementation of a neat idea perhaps, which is most likely destined for commercial failure. But a "killer" engine? Not those guys. Even if they somehow managed to come up with some impressive tech, they've shown to be business failures. Look at what's happened since Amino bought stuff from Gateway, look me in the eye, and see if you can tell me I'm wrong with a straight face...

Even if they could, that's not the Amiga product I have any interest in. It's like I want a Mustang sports car, but Ford tells me they quit making cars and switched exclusively to motorcycles. OK, those are nice and all, but absolutely the wrong thing for me.

fairlanefastback 
Posted on 3-Mar-2008 16:56:52
#255 ]
Team Member

@ChrisH

Quote:
With due respect, I don't think that either one of you can PROVE that Amiga Inc is "good" or "bad".

I'm certainly not trying to "PROVE" anything to anyone. I have my opinions about actions Amiga has undertaken, inactions on their part, etc.

Quote:
With regards to SpaceDruid's suspicions that fairlanefastback isn't as unbiased as he claims (given his posting record), I think that his suspicions have merit. That's not to say that SpaceDruid is completely right, but fiarlanefastback ought to give some thought as to whether he is as truely unbiased as he claims.

You're twisting what occured. Spacedruid said I hate Amiga Inc. and IMHO inferred that I deeply hate them. I said that was not the case. As everyone else does I draw personal conclusions from what I see Amiga does in public, what they don't address, how they conduct themselves, who they choose to represent themselves to the public, who they choose as business partners, how they choose to communicate often with self imposed deadlines that usually go unmet, etc. I also have occasionally read the public documents in their legal disputes past and present as well. My conclusions differ significantly from Spacedruids and he seems to find my viewpoints disturbing. I don't feel I have a pre-disposed bias, that much I might say, as I was not around myself for any of the red-blue stuff, never was on ANN.LU, and was a relative latecomer to Amiga in the OS 4 era. And as a point of comparison I've stated repeatedly that I feel Hyperion has done some messed up things themselves it would seem, certainly ACK it would seem as well. And I gave a put up or shut up to Genesi on this board about adveristing way back (that they did the right thing on then by donating). I've criticized even DiscreetFX for having two people post on one account in the past here given the type of content being posted. My claim after Spacedruid's accusation was that I do not hate Amiga Inc. I think they screw things up a lot, have made a lot of mistakes, and in one form or another have done some not so nice things (like the coupons) and since this is a discussion board about them thats my opinion to share. I promised to buy an Efika in my challange to Genesi in the past and did and I made a challange to buy an entry level Summer 2007 Amiga as well to put money in Amiga's pocket, unfortunately they missed their own deadline and still have not released it to this day. If it weren't for that I would have been one of their first paying customers for the new product. People can think want they want, even if it dosen't make good (IMHO) logical sense of course, thats their right.

Last edited by fairlanefastback on 03-Mar-2008 at 05:04 PM.
Last edited by fairlanefastback on 03-Mar-2008 at 04:59 PM.
Last edited by fairlanefastback on 03-Mar-2008 at 04:59 PM.

Amiga 1200

wegster 
Posted on 3-Mar-2008 17:16:29
#256 ]
Elite Member

@ChrisH

Quote:
edit: And for added irony: Yes, I happen to think that *I* am the most objective person here for Amiga Inc. Perhaps we can start a club for "I'm more objective about Amiga Inc than anyone else"?

Ooh, a new forum!

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle