Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
11 crawler(s) on-line.
 87 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 agami:  8 mins ago
 Gunnar:  10 mins ago
 Hammer:  30 mins ago
 ghjrtq:  30 mins ago
 belovedbroth:  2 hrs 19 mins ago
 pixie:  4 hrs 46 mins ago
 eliyahu:  5 hrs 23 mins ago
 amigakit:  6 hrs 27 mins ago
 Karlos:  7 hrs 13 mins ago
 gryfon:  7 hrs 23 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  [Poll] And the new lawsuit is...
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )
Poll : OS4.1 on SAM will...
...never be legally sold
...sell tens of thousands and make everyone happy!

PosterThread
number6 
Re: [Poll] And the new lawsuit is...
Posted on 19-Sep-2008 17:47:15
#61 ]
Elite Member

@fairlanefastback

No need for me to supply you proof really.
Official Amigaworld.net list of potential hardware for OS4 has had one entry for ACK removed and I expect other changes to correct the record.

Profile     Report this post  
fairlanefastback 
Posted on 19-Sep-2008 17:56:39
#62 ]
Team Member

@number6

Quote:

number6 wrote:
@fairlanefastback

No need for me to supply you proof really.
Official Amigaworld.net list of potential hardware for OS4 has had one entry for ACK removed and I expect other changes to correct the record.

I wasn't asking you for any until you felt Benji and I should not be discussing the source behind his comment in light of your counter earlier in the thread. But since you made it clear your comment should be taken as fact in opposition to his inference then its only fair to ask for the fully disclosed background of your counter claim. And that aw.net list has Troika on it still, so its about as reliable as a 20 year old Yugo that never had any repairs IMO to list as some definitive source. And again is beside the point anyway. If you want to make a declaration and further want to see discussion of the opposing opinion stop, give the source of your info.

Last edited by fairlanefastback on 19-Sep-2008 at 05:57 PM.

Amiga 1200

number6 
Posted on 19-Sep-2008 18:09:37
#63 ]
Elite Member

@fairlanefastback

I would not have said:
Quote:
Just accept the fact that Adam wishes everyone well

unless Adam had said that to ME and not to some 3rd party.
Sorry that was so vague.

fairlanefastback 
Posted on 19-Sep-2008 18:31:25
#64 ]
Team Member

@number6

Quote:

number6 wrote:
@fairlanefastback

I would not have said:
Quote:
Just accept the fact that Adam wishes everyone well

unless Adam had said that to ME and not to some 3rd party.
Sorry that was so vague.

Ok so to be clear to all reading this thread Adam from ACK said his ACK Amigas are never coming? Is that the bottom line assertion you are making? It would have been nice if he would have fessed up to the community on that. What silly games ACK and Amiga played then if what I believe you to be saying is true.

All the more reason to view SAM as our last hope for any future then.

Last edited by fairlanefastback on 19-Sep-2008 at 06:34 PM.
Last edited by fairlanefastback on 19-Sep-2008 at 06:32 PM.
Last edited by fairlanefastback on 19-Sep-2008 at 06:31 PM.

Amiga 1200

jorkany 
Posted on 19-Sep-2008 18:35:13
#65 ]
Cult Member

@fairlanefastback,
Quote:
And that aw.net list has Troika on it still, so its about as reliable as a 20 year old Yugo

I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss Troika, seems they are back in the game!

Rob 
Posted on 19-Sep-2008 18:35:52
#66 ]
Elite Member

@Speedy

Quote:

It's like you try tell somebody to quit smokin' :D

Anyone here in the U.K who smokes 20 a day could save enough money to buy a Sam440 at Christmas if they quit smoking today.

number6 
Posted on 19-Sep-2008 19:02:43
#67 ]
Elite Member

@fairlanefastback

Quote:
Ok so to be clear to all reading this thread Adam from ACK said his ACK Amigas are never coming? Is that the bottom line assertion you are making? It would have been nice if he would have fessed up to the community on that. What silly games ACK and Amiga played then if what I believe you to be saying is true.

Please don't read this as a defense or attack on any of the people or companies. The fact is that Bill McEwen, Evert Carton, Adam, Troika etc. just can not post what you want to hear due the situation.
I have no NDA with anyone, but I still have to use my judgment on what to say and what not to say. I am not about to post email content here due both personal agreements plus AW TOS on that subject.
If you think I'm evasive at times, I apologize, but I'm not in a position to blurt out all the details and I hope you can empathize with that.
What I -can- say is that your last posting is accurate based on my current knowledge.
Here's hoping I don't get any nasty emails over this...
but I felt it was important for people to know that waiting for the ACK projects vs buying SAM and OS4.1 was a poor choice. Adam has always wished people would buy any reality which would emerge as opposed to waiting on other people's projects in the "idea" stage. I hope that means something to all.

Regarding the other info in the thread you refer to, please give me the chance to get any updates or clarifications posted to that thread before commenting on how out of date the information is, ok?

Fact is...we established a "developer's project forum" (highly moderated to contain ONLY facts). After putting in all the labor to do this, the same people who requested it, or showed high interest IN it, failed to use it.
Hence, all info is now appearing in AW common threads where the facts can not be protected from the conjecture and opinion. I'm sorry about this, but it's not my fault, really....

COBRA 
Posted on 19-Sep-2008 19:33:41
#68 ]

@umisef

Quote:
Considering that one of the main authors of OS4 was just berating someone as a sh*t-stirrer for having the entirely unrealistic poll option of OS4.1 selling "tens of thousands" of copies, while Mac OS is being bundled with about 25,000-30,000 new Macs every day, plus upgrades, I don't think there is any "most likely" about it....

Hehe, I don't think any sane person would think that it's realistic to expect the Sam board with OS4 to sell as many units a YEAR, which Apple sell in a DAY.

ne_one 
Posted on 19-Sep-2008 19:35:07
#69 ]
Cult Member

@Pleng

Quote:
People buying the SAM in the hope that the wait is over and AmigaOS development is secure (people WILL make that assumption based on the announcement - people believe what they want to

It's a very basic question that consumers should feel is important with ongoing litigation. Casting this into an issue about the poll conveniently avoids the issue.

Bottom line: if a settlement of some sort has been reached, all of the parties involved owe it to the community to assure them that this product is sanctioned, their investment is secure and they will not be subject to any reprisals if they buy one.

billt 
Posted on 19-Sep-2008 19:38:50
#70 ]
Elite Member

@Benji

Quote:
Why not just say ask Hyperion or Amiga Inc direct?

Hey Benji, why don' t you go ask Hyperion and/or Amiga Inc. directly, and share your answer with us here?

COBRA 
Posted on 19-Sep-2008 19:44:23
#71 ]

@Pleng

Quote:
I've pointed that out in the post you're quoting for. People buying the SAM in the hope that the wait is over and AmigaOS development is secure (people WILL make that assumption based on the announcement - people believe what they want to) could end up shelling out a huge amount of money for a system, assuming it will row and new apps will be developed, just to find that within weeks or months it is discontinued again.

Nope, it is YOU who is making an assumption here. You're making an assumption, that with the availability of OS4.1 for the Sam, people will think that all the disputes between AInc and Hyperion are resolved, etc. I invite you to make a poll to see how many people actually think that, before you make such assumptions.

Quote:
What rubbish. If that is the case why did Hyperion release OS4 for SAM around the same time, or shortly after the Classic version?

They didn't. OS4 for classic was released over half a year ago. Maybe you meant, why are they releasing OS4.1 for the Sam shortly after OS4.1 for the AmigaOne was released? Perhaps a better question would be, why did they not release 4.0 for Sam around the same time, or shortly after the classic version? If you actually read the news item, you'll notice that it says that OS4.1 for the Sam is still not fully completed, and that there'll be a possibility to get a current beta. Which means that work on the port of OS4 to Sam is only just about to be finished. I think that for a sensible person it's quite clear that they didn't announce OS4 for Sam before, because it was simply not ready to be shipped. Now that it's almost ready, they announced it. As simple as that.

Quote:
or whatever reason Hyperion can't, or simply don't want to, tell us what it is.

The reason may be that there's nothing to tell...

Quote:
hich is why I feel representatives of the company should be a little less defensive when somebody questions it

What representatives? I haven't seen any Hyperion representatives here.

umisef 
Posted on 21-Sep-2008 9:46:09
#72 ]

@fairlanefastback

Quote:
until you felt Benji and I should not be discussing the source behind his comment

Considering his comment was along the lines of "pigs might fly, you know, stranger things have happened" or "for all we know, Elvis may return from his visit of the aliens with a working Amiga 7777, you know, stranger things have happened" --- i.e. merely pointing out that strange things do happen, and that thus taking things for granted, even though doing so appears to be very sensible, may sometimes lead one astray --- I believe the obstinacy you are observing is caused by Benji's bafflement over your conviction that there is, or even should be, a source.

I seem to recall, BTW, that insisting clear-cut things may not always be as they appear used to be something you were quite fond of yourself.

Rogue 
Posted on 21-Sep-2008 11:12:55
#73 ]
OS4 Core Developer

@Benji

Quote:
Its going to go one of two ways isnt it - either sell well or not at all?

Obviously, you have a hard time understanding this. No, these are not the only options, it might not sell well at all for all different reasons, but it is not the point. Your choice of words "it will sell tens of thousands" was clearly over the top, and made the poll biased from the very outset.

I therefore say it again, it's hypocritical to say you wanted unbiased opinions if your poll options are already biased towards one. Your whole poll was trying to steer to your personal choice, and therefore manipulative.

Quote:
I did not make any claims or statements of "truth"! I do not know what is going on with Amiga Inc and Hyperion - so I asked a question and was polling to see which way people think that question will likely be answered. If 90% of people say "oh I dont care, its going to sell thousands and I will buy it" then that might actually persuade me to take the risk and put my money down too!

Exactly, you do not know, but your wording was already biased towards one outcome, and your poll was merely seeking support from others by presenting an unrealistic option that nobody in his right mind would chose, making people with realistic ideas ignore the poll altogether and only get votes from those of similar mind like yours.

That is not a realistic poll, it's manipulative, so you might as well drop the pretense.

Quote:
With no news we draw our own conclusions, rightly or wrongly.

No. News or no news, you will still make up your mind as you please.

Rogue 
Posted on 21-Sep-2008 11:19:48
#74 ]
OS4 Core Developer

@Pleng

Quote:
You really don't help yourself by being so selective about the points you address in a thread. Yes the Poll options were clearly flawed, and are not even mutually exclusive.

I am not being selective. I just pointed out that this wasn't a realistic poll.

Quote:
Considering all the above it's hardly surprising that some people are asking questions, and you have to expect a certain amount of mud-slinging to be thrown into the equation.

1) Questions are a natural. I object to giving the answers for others.
2) Just because mud slinging is to be expected does not mean I have to accept it. If I jump into a garbage can, I am still allowed to wash my hands before the next meal.

Quote:
Which makes me wonder why you would get involved in a thread such as this in the first place?

Because I have a personal opinion. Which I am perfectly free to voice, just as you. And I would have said what I said in this thread even if I wasn't directly involved with any of the companies.

debrun 
Posted on 21-Sep-2008 11:28:33
#75 ]

@Cobra & Benji

Quote:
Not expecting people to question where this announcement came from is just silly.

ABSOLUTELY !!!

I think to get the Amiga I'd like, I would spend about a thousand USD. Now I want to start that process on a pre-order in the middle of a lawsuit??!?!?!?!?!?

I find this announcement tantalizing and frustrating!

Moxee 
Posted on 24-Sep-2008 13:04:48
#76 ]
Team Member

@sundown

Quote:

I'm up to my eye balls with cats here, now which one of us is going to clean up the mess?

Amiwest should be fun this year, start packing!

I sure wish I could attend. No one around here wants to take care of my old dog with health issues. No kennels/boarders, no vets, no family members, and I won't put him through that 12-13 hour drive down there.

I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle