Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
27 crawler(s) on-line.
 78 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 nikosidis:  13 mins ago
 billt:  26 mins ago
 matthey:  47 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  57 mins ago
 Matt3k:  58 mins ago
 Karlos:  1 hr 5 mins ago
 redfox:  1 hr 39 mins ago
 Lou:  2 hrs 3 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  2 hrs 13 mins ago
 zipper:  2 hrs 15 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Alt Amiga OS
      /  [Poll] Why can't AROS be your x86 Amiga OS?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
Poll : Why can't AROS be your x86 Amiga OS?
Because I need the brand name to use the product.
Because it does not have the OS feel I want.
Because I'd rather continue the melodrama on this AOS 4 centric website.
Because open source is for wimps!
Because I naturally just like to complain.
Whats's AROS?
I'm so used to nothing Amiga being easy, why change now?

PosterThread
ferrels 
Re: [Poll] Why can't AROS be your x86 Amiga OS?
Posted on 1-Apr-2009 13:16:23
#101 ]
Cult Member

@clusteruk

You're remarks are spot on. AROS continues to impress me and whose to say that it won't continue to improve. It may even progress to the point where it's API compatible with OS4. The only thing holding it back at present is broader hardware support and a decent office suite, but that will eventually change too.

Profile     Report this post  
clusteruk 
Posted on 1-Apr-2009 13:47:16
#102 ]

@ferrels

Thanks for your comments.

As for OS4 compatibility I cannot comment on this as I am not sure of the benefit to Aros, should Hyperion join in then they could add that. I believe that Aros team will finish the OS3.1 100% track and then push into future areas that are more important, multicore support, enhanced graphics 3d, drivers etc. To create an advanced Amiga platform with some special tricks up its sleeve that will amaze people next year.

As for hardware support, there is actually a lot more hardware support than is given credit. However, more work needs doing but that can be by anyone including people with a vested interest like my company, iMica is there to fund drivers but until it takes off then my cash goes into iMica only drivers which still benefit the core source library.

I do believe that by next year which is the www.amiga25.com anniversary, Aros will be a main player and be able to hold its head up very high with new Aros specific powerful hardware which we are putting together here. Sorry for plug but it is important.

I believe in Amiga and always have, and I will push until we get the NextGen Amiga that those original designers would be proud of.

Panthro 
Posted on 1-Apr-2009 14:00:55
#103 ]

Quote:

paolone wrote:
@Panthro

Quote:
where is the option that sasys cause I hate X86 & would prefer alternatives!!

I am not the original poster, however I can imagine that

1. it was too dumb and childish to be considered

2. it was pointless since AROS is available also on SAM and Efika, which are PPC platforms

I have worked in IT for some time & I am intrested in ALTRERNATIVES if that is childish to
you why the hell are you here????

Wow your 2nd point IS news to me sorry for that part and I think it's cool and all but it
is in no way more interesting to me than MOS, linux or BeOs.

Infact now that I know that it makes your comments seem liike some of the jilted MOS
promoters making another grab for more user's

*******************DISCLAIMER*********************************
I find many OS's & Platforms intresting and do not want to
upset or insult some of the excellent work done by our
ex-amiga users in imitating our favourite OS.

I respect your opinions and hope U will respect mine

Senex 
Posted on 1-Apr-2009 14:23:34
#104 ]

@ferrels

Quote:
It may even progress to the point where it's API compatible with OS4.

Well, this very old bounty description could have been a start maybe.

Guess I'll shift my money to another bounty soon, though, given both the lack of interest by any developer in the past as well as my missing interest in non-mainstream CPU architectures for some couple of years already.

Deniil715 
Posted on 1-Apr-2009 15:58:43
#105 ]
Elite Member

@fairlanefastback

Quote:

Why can't AROS be your x86 Amiga OS?

If I would ever get an PeeSea I might try AROS...

Leo 
Posted on 1-Apr-2009 17:15:09
#106 ]

Quote:

EDIT- regarding the quality of the themes... its as much todo with the quality of the artists as it is the qulaity of AROS, here is my shot at it. (wallpaper by Infiniton )

It's not about artists, it's about having a *unified* theme for the windows decorations, and the window gadgets. The thing is on the Amiga these are two seperate things (and even more if we add the different gui tookits): on one side you have intuition skins, and on the other side you have MUI/Zune, and even standard Gadtools,.... So you always end up in something not coherent...

So again, here a complete rewrite would be needed...

Feelin not only adds nice features such as XML applications, CSS based customization, but also isn't based on intuition for rendering the window decorations. So using Feelin you would not only modernize the OS with a nice fresh GUI toolkit (bringing the OS to the present with some interesting things like CSS/XML) but also forget about these coherency problems...

But feelin isn't compatible with anything past (MUI, Reaction,...)... so why would people use it ? Well, because it's better maybe ? because it's fresh ? because it's beautiful ?

Last edited by Leo on 01-Apr-2009 at 06:09 PM.
Last edited by Leo on 01-Apr-2009 at 05:16 PM.

paolone 
Posted on 1-Apr-2009 17:32:17
#107 ]

@Panthro

Quote:
I have worked in IT for some time & I am intrested in ALTRERNATIVES if that is childish to you why the hell are you here????

What's childish and dumb in a quote like "I HATE x86"? Tell me a reason to hate them, that's not fanatism, or simply envy for the "leading" platform, and maybe we can discuss. x86 dominates a market that has always driven by rules of capitalism, maybe it's not the better architecture ever produced, but it is the almost-unique on the shelves for a reason. Being it cultural, economic, technical or due to marketing, it won and now it has reached a stage of its evolution that has no counterparts on competing architectures. Are 3,0 quad-core 64 bit PPC processors so cheap? Oh wait... are there 3 GHz 64 bit quad-core PPC processors at all? In real world, adult people look what a product can do and its price, so they decide if it worths their money. Who's seeking for an "alternative" to the Microsoft reign can only go for Macintosh: it's pricey compared to a normal PC, even if it's made by the same hardware, but people feel that MacOS X is a 'gadget' that worths its price. MacOS X allow people to do exactly the same things Windows does, sometimes better, on same level hardware, and a Intel Mac allows also to "fallback to Windoze" if an application is still missing. Can the SAM, Pegasos II and Efika PPC boards allow this? Answer "yes" and "hate for x86" might have still little sense, answer "no" (and you HAVE to answer "no", unless you want to hide the truth) and the "hate for x86" loses any meaning at all.

Why 'hate' for a piece of silicon, then... I may hate a guy or a girl, I may hate a whole nation or a political/cultural party.. but can you please tell me why people should 'hate' metal, plastic and silicon? They are object made to do calculations, and for now there aren't better alternative to x86 on the market, neither from a speed, nor from a value point of view. Hate for things is for childern at the kindergarden, make the most of the current technology and letting it do things as we wish is for the pragmatic and realistic ones. Sorry for being harsh, I didn't want to.

paolone 
Posted on 1-Apr-2009 17:36:58
#108 ]

@Leo

Quote:
Feelin not only adds nice features such as XML applications, CSS based customization, but also isn't based on intuition for rendering the window decorations. So using Feelin you would not only modernize the OS with a nice fresh GUI toolkit (bringing the OS to the present with some interesting things like CSS/XML) but also forget about these coherency problems... But feelin isn't compatible with anything past (MUI, Reaction,...)... so why would people use it ? Well, because it's better maybe ? because it's fresh ? because it's beautiful ?

Hey, there's a news for you: Feeling has been ported to AROS long ago. The motivation why people aren't using it... well... it's that MUI and Intuition are considered a more popular standard in the Amiga towns.

Anonymous 
Posted on 1-Apr-2009 17:59:36
# ]

@Leo

Most AROS software seems to use Zune, so you could create a mostly consistent look by packaging a Zune skin with matching window decorations. I'd have thought, anyway...

Chris

Report this post  
Gleng 
Posted on 1-Apr-2009 18:04:35
#110 ]

@paolone

Quote:

paolone wrote:
@Gleng

Emergency mode use a different (older) kernel, which may be more compatible to your hardware. Please try this with your current installation: when loading, highlight a graphic mode in grub list, press E, replace "ATA=32bit" with "ATA=nopci" or "ATA=nodma" and press Ctrl+X (if I'm not wrong) to continue booting. You'd probably find a way to make Icaros perform better in disk operations.

Awesome sauce.

ATA=nopci appears to have done the trick. It seems to be nice and stable now. Thanks!

Leo 
Posted on 1-Apr-2009 18:09:02
#111 ]

Quote:

Hey, there's a news for you: Feeling has been ported to AROS long ago.

That's no news to me... Question is: why people do not use it instead of zune ?

Feelin would give a nice fresh air to the OS, and a reason to use AROS over OS4/MOS...

Last edited by Leo on 01-Apr-2009 at 06:10 PM.

paolone 
Posted on 1-Apr-2009 22:39:43
#112 ]

@Gleng

Quote:
ATA=nopci appears to have done the trick. It seems to be nice and stable now. Thanks!

Happy to help you!

Panthro 
Posted on 2-Apr-2009 6:19:51
#113 ]

@paolone

Quote:

paolone wrote:
@Panthro

Quote:
I have worked in IT for some time & I am interested in ALTERNATIVES if that is childish to you why the hell are you here????

What's childish and dumb in a quote like "I HATE x86"? Tell me a reason to hate them, that's not fanatism, or simply envy for the "leading" platform, and maybe we can discuss.

I can do that I work repairing the hardware side of things I do it all day!!
thus I hate X86 based machines and want something different to use at home!!

it was a simple phrase and I trust most here took it at face value & didn't assume
the kind of zealotry you obviously have to contend with. I hope this is not a reflection
on the rest of this post.

Quote:

Why 'hate' for a piece of silicon, then... I may hate a guy or a girl, I may hate a whole nation or a political/cultural party.. but can you please tell me why people should 'hate' metal, plastic and silicon? They are object made to do calculations, and for now there aren't better alternative to x86 on the market, neither from a speed, nor from a value point of view. Hate for things is for children at the kindergarden, make the most of the current technology and letting it do things as we wish is for the pragmatic and realistic ones.

I'm sorry you feel that simple toss away comments are "kindergarden" if it helps I
could flesh it out and water it down to " I strongly dislike X86 based computers because
I have grown bored & sick of them" (I hope this is not too strong or something that is
going to be further misconstrued as fanatical )

Yes, strangely after working in IT I am well versed with the idea that a CPU is in fact a
composition of many materials and is in fact not alive, sentient and malicious.

However if you have difficulty understanding human emotion regarding love/ hate or
the more kindergarden like/dislike I suggest you "like" your fav movie / drink and not
love them as, it seems, people you hang with are not going to understand.

I also agree about being pragmatic regarding options, I do, but I'm after alternatives
that's one of my reasons for being here. I have no problem with you selection of X86
and would suggest that you pragmatically select a appropriate OS for it (I'm sure that
is going to be AROS rather than windows)
I will just pragmatically select alternatives associated with my fav OS

Quote:

Sorry for being harsh, I didn't want to.

Relax you were no more harsh than the kids when they get a mood and I assure you
that I am not posting this from a kindergarden so feel free to use grown up terms and
even express VERY strong like or even dislike for both ppl, activites and inanimate
objects.

sorry every1 there will be no more bandying of words

paolone 
Posted on 2-Apr-2009 8:09:38
#114 ]

@Panthro

Quote:
I can do that I work repairing the hardware side of things I do it all day!! thus I hate X86 based machines and want something different to use at home!!

I work every day with x86 machines but I haven't developed any kind of 'hate' for them. Sorry if I really can't understand your point of view, but where is the difference between a x86 computer mainboard, with standard PC expansion cards, and a PPC mainboard, with the same standard PC expansion cards? When I open the case, they aren't so different. When they are turned on and both run Linux, the only difference I can spot is that the PPC one is slower. And, well, the last one is also my only feeling when I turn on both my OS4.1 SAM and my Icaros PC: they behave the same way, but the latter is cheaper too.

So yes, I prefer to hear about "strong dislike" than "hate". Applied to computers, the first one has some rationale motivation and can be explained, the second, however, is something grown people shouldn't feel anymore.

Last edited by paolone on 02-Apr-2009 at 08:10 AM.

clusteruk 
Posted on 2-Apr-2009 8:54:50
#115 ]

What gets me is that modern x86 mother boards are organised in a similar way to Amiga motherboard, processor, sound and graphics all on system board with efficient connections between them and super fast processors. What is there to dislike if the price is right.

If economies of scale could be applied and Amiga users bought them then a modern PC motherboard with latest nvidia 9000 series on board could be easily supported in Aros from a single supplier to keep that system supply the same.

Obviously though Motherboards change all the time so the target keeps moving which is hard to match. Even with Sam board only a small number of graphics cards are supported but it is a single supplier of motherboard so drivers are not an issue.

steril606 
Posted on 2-Apr-2009 10:34:41
#116 ]

@clusteruk

Aros+x86-mobo+custom case+Amiga brand slapped on it

ours to take, yet never to attain
(means, actually not far off, but will never happen, how sad is that)

but a man can dream....

Panthro 
Posted on 2-Apr-2009 10:36:10
#117 ]

@paolone

LOL

Last edited by Panthro on 02-Apr-2009 at 10:37 AM.

Manu 
Posted on 2-Apr-2009 12:28:58
#118 ]

Icaros on a :

Intel Core 2 6300 1.86 Ghz, 1GB RAM

Cold boot (counted from pressed ENTER in GRUB menu) : 10 seconds
another +5 seconds for Amistart menu to appear.

Warm reboot (from them moment i pressed CTRL/ALT/DEL : 9 seconds
another +5 seconds for Amistart menu to appear.

Why can't Icaros be your Amiga ?

Gleng 
Posted on 2-Apr-2009 16:37:31
#119 ]

AmiBridge seems to work pretty well. A bit too slow on my 733MHz PC though.

I bought a copy of Amiga Forever 08 and fed it to the setup utility. Everything went smoothly.

whdload works fine under AmiBridge's Workbench, but I'm trying to see if I can get it to add the slaves to the AROS menu with the AmiBridge app installer. That would be sweet.

paolone 
Posted on 3-Apr-2009 10:11:42
#120 ]

@Gleng

Quote:
whdload works fine under AmiBridge's Workbench, but I'm trying to see if I can get it to add the slaves to the AROS menu with the AmiBridge app installer. That would be sweet

if they are shell scripts (sorry, I never used whdload), you can add 'em with ADD_PROGRAM as well. Before running them, however, you should edit their launch files in order to 'execute' them instead of 'run' them. I can explain.

Let's think you have added with ADD_PROGRAM a shell script called 'mygame', in the Amiga Apps directory you would find these files

mygame (shown with its .info)
s_mygame (not shown drawer)

if you enter s_mygame, you'll find a startup-sequence and a user-startup file. Well, you have to edit the user-startup and change the last line from

run path:of/your/script/mygame

to

execute path:of/your/script/mygame

one of the enhancements I considered for AmiBridge was the option to choose either a exe or a script, and modify the user-startup launch line accordingly. But before doing that I have still to look at ClusterUK's approach, which seems to be better than mine. The next step would also be the option to add an Amiga application by simply double clicking on it.

But this will require time and knowledges I'm slowly learning.

Last edited by paolone on 03-Apr-2009 at 10:12 AM.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle