Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
8 crawler(s) on-line.
 113 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Karlos:  29 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  57 mins ago
 amigakit:  1 hr 29 mins ago
 Matt3k:  2 hrs 46 mins ago
 RobertB:  3 hrs 4 mins ago
 cip060:  3 hrs 36 mins ago
 sibbi:  3 hrs 45 mins ago
 blmara:  4 hrs 23 mins ago
 zipper:  5 hrs 23 mins ago
 pavlor:  5 hrs 55 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Alt Amiga OS
      /  [Poll] Why can't AROS be your x86 Amiga OS?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
Poll : Why can't AROS be your x86 Amiga OS?
Because I need the brand name to use the product.
Because it does not have the OS feel I want.
Because I'd rather continue the melodrama on this AOS 4 centric website.
Because open source is for wimps!
Because I naturally just like to complain.
Whats's AROS?
I'm so used to nothing Amiga being easy, why change now?

PosterThread
Arko 
Re: [Poll] Why can't AROS be your x86 Amiga OS?
Posted on 26-Mar-2009 0:32:07
#41 ]

@opi

Quote:

For what's worth I'm waiting to see what MichaB and Anubis guys will come up with.

If you switch to AROS now you can still change to Anubis in 3 years ...

I borrowed this comments from here (#27 & #28):
http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=38873&forum=2&start=20&order=0

Profile     Report this post  
opi 
Posted on 26-Mar-2009 0:43:07
#42 ]
Team Member

@Arko

Quote:
If you switch to AROS now you can still change to Anubis in 3 years ...

I won't "switch" to hobby OS. I play with them. 3 years? If you'd ask me 15 years ago I would say it's sooooo long. After years and years on this planet I realized that time speed up. 3 years in hobby is nothing.

I waited longer to see my soccer team return to first division.

meet.mrnrg 
Posted on 26-Mar-2009 5:50:20
#43 ]

The project needs more of everything...
Its a good product, small request is I want all apps and games updates as ready to use bundle with each release... Don't like maintaining so many systems and environments.

AROS is a winner...

Krashan 
Posted on 26-Mar-2009 6:49:16
#44 ]

@fairlanefastback

1. Lack of applications.
2. Low stability.
3. Low backward compatibility with AmigaOS.
4. I have no x86 hardware faster than my Pegasos 2, so I gain nothing speedwise.

AmigaHeretic 
Posted on 26-Mar-2009 7:16:08
#45 ]

@fairlanefastback

Why are you so afraid of AmigaOS4 going to x86? Are you one those people thats like "XBOX 360 rules PS3 sucks!" or "SuperNintendo Rules Sega Genesis SUCKS!!"

I've never understood while people have to choose one thing and then say everything else sucks. Grow up.

Anyway you left out the option: "AROS is my main OS, but I would like to use AOS4 too, but don't want to pay $600 SAM Tax just to use it at ridiculously slow speed."

AmigaHeretic 
Posted on 26-Mar-2009 7:22:51
#46 ]

@fairlanefastback

Quote:

I agree. People keep shouting give it to me for x86. But what many mean is for *their* x86 machine. They don't envision it will be for a very *limited* amount of PC hardware, that they may then have to buy just to run the OS, whether it be AROS x86 or AOS x86.

Do you even read what people post?

It has been said over and over they could choose ONE motherboard and ONE laptop.

It has also been said by these 'crazy" x86 people that to avoid all this confusion Hyperion could Silk Screen "Amiga" or some such on the laptop -i.e. rebadge.

Same with the ONE motherboard they pick. Hell, AmigaOne was generic board that they silkscreened "AmigaOne" on, they can just take an x86 board and silk screen "Amiga" on that.

There is no confusion, there is not, porting to a billion boards/chipsets.

That's a lame argument. People have posted OVER and OVER again x86 does not equal=all x86 out there.

AmigaHeretic 
Posted on 26-Mar-2009 7:29:16
#47 ]

@fairlanefastback

Quote:

Ok, so what should happen to AROS in your opinion, should it abandon x86 to be PPC only? Should it cease operations all together so that the entire focus of the community will then only be split between three players rather than four (AOS, MOS, and Anubis), where Anubis takes on the mantle of x86 entry with its Linux kernal base?

You're so blind.

I don't care WHAT happens to AROS, I don't care what happens to Windows, I don't care what happens to Linux, I don't care what Happens to Mac OSX,

Can you not get it through your head we are talking about AmigaOS4?

AmigaOS4!=AROS
AmigaOS4!=Windows
AmigaOS4!=BEOS
AmigaOS4!=Linux
AmigaOS4!=MAC OSX
AmigaOS4!=QNX

Talking about AROS is totally irrelevant.

If you have such a hard-on for PPC why don't you keep running MAC OS 9 and leave us to talk about AmigaOS4 on x86.

OldFart 
Posted on 26-Mar-2009 8:20:03
#48 ]
Elite Member
From: Stad; en d'r is moar ain stad en da's Stad. Makkelk zat!

@fairlanefastback

Quote:
I agree. People keep shouting give it to me for x86. But what many mean is for *their* x86 machine. They don't envision it will be for a very *limited* amount of PC hardware, that they may then have to buy just to run the OS, whether it be AROS x86 or AOS x86.
or Mac OSX...

OldFart

steril606 
Posted on 26-Mar-2009 8:49:53
#49 ]

I installed IcAros natively on my x86 machine two weeks ago.

I browse the web with OWB, write and get Emails with Simplemail, write Mui related code with edit and compile it in the CLI, and listen to MP3s on MPlayer.

I would play the occasional game of Quake on it, but I have my Wii for playing, and let's remember all the games on modern Amiga platforms are fairly old, whether it's os AOS4, MOS2 or AROS.

Seeing what most people seem to do on their SAM440s with AOS, it seems I don't miss that much with using AROS only. And that's on my run o' the mill Athlon 64.

The point is, the stuff I have to do for my work, I cannot do with the official Amiga OS as well in the quality I'd need to (for recording Audio I would need drivers for my very expensive external Audio interface).

Three points missing:
* GFX Driver support for speeding up the whole affair a bit,
* stability is still on the bad side sometimes, if you are checking out various stuff on the distribution (yep, it crashes occasionally),
* no real integrated 68k Emulation yet, but it gets worked on at this moment it seems.

I think given the speed of recent developments, in one year of time, AROS will have reached a state, where it's completely usable.

So, unless I see a futureproof plan of what Hyperions Roadmap may lead to, my bet is on AROS.

KimmoK 
Posted on 26-Mar-2009 8:55:59
#50 ]
Elite Member

I personally have no reason to not to use AROS+EUAE.

I'm planning to use AOS4.x as my main OS.
And AROS native + EUAE on my single core x86 systems, like on laptop.
And Ubuntu hosted AROS+EUAE instances on my multicore x86 systems, like on the SAM's co-processing system/node.

(Linux (MythBuntu) will be on my server and OSX on the MacMini untill some useable AmigalikeOS is released for it.)

I recently spent a day playing with a faster Linux. (Antix linux) While the user interface definitely behaved ok, all traditional Linux SW bloat became visible very soon. It is too slow to my liking on a single core 2.4Ghz CPU. And the ease of use and HW support feels like it's one decade behind Ubuntu. So, next I'll try AROS on x86.

And perhaps Hyperion chould start developing & selling AOS4-JIT/multibinary sandbox for AROS. :-|

Last edited by KimmoK on 26-Mar-2009 at 08:57 AM.

// Thing that I should find more time for: CC64 - 64bit Community Computer?

HenryCase 
Posted on 26-Mar-2009 12:43:09
#51 ]
Cult Member

@meet.mrnrg

Quote:
meet.mrnrg wrote:
Its a good product, small request is I want all apps and games updates as ready to use bundle with each release...

Your request has already been granted:
http://vmwaros.blogspot.com/

@AmigaHeretic

Quote:
AmigaHeretic wrote:
@fairlanefastback

Why are you so afraid of AmigaOS4 going to x86?

It's nothing to do with being afraid, he objects to your arguments BECAUSE IT'S NOT GOING TO HAPPEN NO MATTER HOW MUCH YOU WHINE. Ok?

@AmigaHeretic

Quote:

AmigaHeretic wrote:
I don't care WHAT happens to AROS, I don't care what happens to Windows, I don't care what happens to Linux, I don't care what Happens to Mac OSX,

AmigaOS4!=AROS

Were you born dumb or was it a gradual process? Look at the title of the thread your posting in, does it mention AROS in the title? Yes, yes it does. So why is discussing AROS in a thread ABOUT AROS totally irrelevant?

AmigaOS4!=AROS, correct. However, AROS = Amiga-like OS, just like AmigaOS4 = Amiga-like OS. If you think OS4 has some sort of stronger link to the classic AmigaOS of old than AROS you are mistaken, this is not your daddy's Exec we're talking about.

The point of the thread is to establish the following:
If you want to run an Amiga-like OS on x86, why don't you play with AROS?
It's as simple as that.

SHADES 
Posted on 26-Mar-2009 12:49:13
#52 ]
Cult Member

@HenryCase

Quote:

HenryCase wrote:
@meet.mrnrg

Quote:
meet.mrnrg wrote:
Its a good product, small request is I want all apps and games updates as ready to use bundle with each release...

Your request has already been granted:
http://vmwaros.blogspot.com/

@AmigaHeretic

Quote:
AmigaHeretic wrote:
@fairlanefastback

Why are you so afraid of AmigaOS4 going to x86?

It's nothing to do with being afraid, he objects to your arguments BECAUSE IT'S NOT GOING TO HAPPEN NO MATTER HOW MUCH YOU WHINE. Ok?

@AmigaHeretic

Quote:

AmigaHeretic wrote:

AmigaOS4!=AROS

Were you born dumb or was it a gradual process? Look at the title of the thread your posting in, does it mention AROS in the title? Yes, yes it does. So why is discussing AROS in a thread ABOUT AROS totally irrelevant?

AmigaOS4!=AROS, correct. However, AROS = Amiga-like OS, just like AmigaOS4 = Amiga-like OS. If you think OS4 has some sort of stronger link to the classic AmigaOS of old than AROS you are mistaken, this is not your daddy's Exec we're talking about.

The point of the thread is to establish the following:
If you want to run an Amiga-like OS on x86, why don't you play with AROS?
It's as simple as that.

Yeah I'm a bit lost trying to understand that too lol

Truth be told AROS is reversed engineered according to some well infomred people here, not based on AOS 3.x code where AOS4.x is
So.... technically speaking, AOS4.x is closer to AMIGA Os than AROS.

Also, AOS4 is the AMIGA companies expected revision of the owned OS and an upgrade path as the true AMIGA OS and has been programmed with that in mind. To appreantly transition us to AOS5. AROS is not, nor is it interested in following this path or the upgrades it recieving. It is going it's own way, away from AMIGA and the OS design plans it has for the future.

God know if that's even real anymore.

Last edited by SHADES on 29-Mar-2009 at 04:44 AM.
Last edited by SHADES on 26-Mar-2009 at 12:51 PM.
Last edited by SHADES on 26-Mar-2009 at 12:50 PM.

paolone 
Posted on 28-Mar-2009 10:15:12
#53 ]

@tonyw

Quote:
Rather than cry "we need more developers", AROS developers would be more productive and better supported if they developed for AmigaOS (currently called OS4). The movement of AmigaOS to other platforms is inevitable, so why not be a part of it, rather than stand off and try to do it themselves with insufficient resources?

I'm happy you have some sort of crystal ball in front of you. Would you be so kind to tell me also the next inevitable lottery numbers? I would really appreciate, since I'd spend part of the prize to hire AROS developers and make them work on AROS as primary job. In the meanwhile, I would remark to you (and all the "AmigaOS is surely going x86" nonsense) that nobody has the will and the moneys to do that. And that AROS developers are working on it on their spare time, instead of watching movies, listening music and playing with their children. At least show a little respect for their choices, since they are doing all this for people like YOU.

And, well, many AROS developers are people who develops applications for AmigaOS and MorphOS too, but that clearly see where is the future, if a future exists, even without your "I know it all" attitude. Sorry for being harsh,

Varthall 
Posted on 28-Mar-2009 23:40:05
#54 ]

@Arko

Quote:

Arko wrote:
@Varthall

Quote:

I prefer using other operating systems on x86 (only Linux so far)

If you like PPC more, you can install it on SAM440 ... no problem.

I have an A1, and I have already OS4 for it...

Varthall

wolfe 
Posted on 29-Mar-2009 2:46:52
#55 ]

AROS ?

Well, I have said many times for many years that AROS is not ready for prime time. And that is still true. But the new Icaros distro is showing some real spit and polish. But now its more fun to tinker with than ever before (IMO) because it is usable. No, its not ready to become your full time desktop but it is steadily getting there. I salute those who develop AROS for their efforts . . . Keep up the good fight.

fairlanefastback 
Posted on 29-Mar-2009 3:40:58
#56 ]
Team Member

@AmigaHeretic

Quote:
Why are you so afraid of AmigaOS4 going to x86? Are you one those people thats like "XBOX 360 rules PS3 sucks!" or "SuperNintendo Rules Sega Genesis SUCKS!!"

Nope. Not afraid. And I own an Xbox360, a PS3, and a Wii. You get us the people and money to go x86 and I'm all for it. You don't have either though it seems. So the point is moot.

Quote:
I've never understood while people have to choose one thing and then say everything else sucks. Grow up.

I never did. And if you have read my posts you'd be well aware of that. I'm just sick of hearing people rain on the parade of others when they don't have any real intention of doing the hard work to get us on x86, whether that be through money they give, programming they give, or organizing time they donate to help make it happen. I"ve donated to things for AROS for x86, to AROS for non x86 (Efika) and for AOS web browsers *before* I even had AOS or *any* chance at getting it because I could not afford a used AOne.

Quote:
Anyway you left out the option: "AROS is my main OS, but I would like to use AOS4 too, but don't want to pay $600 SAM Tax just to use it at ridiculously slow speed."

Yeah that sucks. I'd love to drive around in a Ford Falcon XA from Australia here in the U.S. and join the 40 guys in this country who have Facon X* models. I'm not rich enough. Should I go cry to them insesintly about it?

Last edited by fairlanefastback on 29-Mar-2009 at 03:43 AM.

Amiga 1200

fairlanefastback 
Posted on 29-Mar-2009 3:47:12
#57 ]
Team Member

@AmigaHeretic

Quote:
Do you even read what people post?

Yep. I read, more than you seem to, since you thought SAM was commissioned and designed by Hyperion with them "wasting money" on that.

Quote:
It has been said over and over they could choose ONE motherboard and ONE laptop.

By *some*. Many others keep alluding to the PC on their desk. And to one machine doing all. Which is not accurate to how things would need to be.

Did you convince Hyperion yet on which single PC motherboard or chipset they will support yet in the meantime? Did you even email them?

Last edited by fairlanefastback on 29-Mar-2009 at 04:07 AM.

Amiga 1200

fairlanefastback 
Posted on 29-Mar-2009 4:05:29
#58 ]
Team Member

@AmigaHeretic

Quote:
If you have such a hard-on for PPC why don't you keep running MAC OS 9 and leave us to talk about AmigaOS4 on x86.

I don't have "hard-on" for PPC. Thats a trolling comment. Here we have two Amiga-like operating systems, one is PPC platform specific. The other has years of X86 development under its belt. One is what you want cost-wise, cheap, the other is not to get a running system. And yet you have this feeling of manifest destiny and entitlement to AOS (or so it seems). I mean its one thing to voice an opinion that x86 would grow the base, make the OS more likely to survive in the long term, etc. (Something no one is disputing). But its another to have a campaign where you want current paying customers to be dropped by the wayside. And where you publicly demand this platform change with no concrete ideas on how to get it done, when the OS is not even open source, and therefore not an OS owned by the people. Instead you want to tell Hyperion how to run their business, but not directly, instead by repeating a chant for forever and a day at a forum site.

Amiga 1200

AmigaMac 
Posted on 29-Mar-2009 4:27:31
#59 ]

@fairlanefastback

AROS needs to get serious about its user interface before it can be taken seriously. The kiddy icon set is atrocious! The AROS team needs to get Mason (Martin Merz) on the case!!

AmigaHeretic 
Posted on 29-Mar-2009 5:31:37
#60 ]

@fairlanefastback

Quote:

fairlanefastback wrote:
@AmigaHeretic

Yep. I read, more than you seem to, since you thought SAM was commissioned and designed by Hyperion with them "wasting money" on that.

Re-read what I posted. I was talking about Acube & Hyperion, not Hyperion.

What I was trying to convey is that if ACube and Hyperion, together, had some plan to sell some sort of SAM+AmigaOS4 "solution" for embedded devices then that is just dumb.

Read please.... the total cost of developing a you own "homebrew" PPC motherboard, manfacturing, etc is ..... read please..... as insanely expensive as the cost of porting to x86. If the 2 costs were comparable your left with the many benefits of x86 for the same price.

Again, as far as embedded devices, if that is there target, well, what could they possible be thinking?? If they can't afford to port to the worlds most common hardware how can they port to specific product that a company might request for an embedded system. Wouldn't it make some sort of business sense to have you OS running on x86 as cost/availablity of boards is going to be such that for a "kiosk" for example that is what a large customer might request? What advantage it there for a company to buy $600 motherboard when you can get a similar power consumption level miniITX motherboard in the x86 world for $100 with more?

But hey, Hyperions business plans are none of my concern. I've only invested 20 years with AmigaOS. Sorry if I just don't want to see AmigaOS die again.

Yes there is AROS, yes there IS MacOS, yes there is MorphOS.... AmigaOS4 looks the most interesting and most likely to grow the userbase.... IF it could be purchased without a $600 dongle.

So from a growing their userbase perspective and "if they are into embedded" x86 just makes sense.

But since they, as every other company in Amiga land, cannot communicate ANYTHING about their plans, well, whatever....

I guess I'm just a whiner for not wanting to watch chances for a little larger AmigaOS poulation not go down the ####hole again....

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle