Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
24 crawler(s) on-line.
 78 guest(s) on-line.
 2 member(s) on-line.

pixie,  matthey

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 matthey:  3 mins ago
 pixie:  3 mins ago
 amigakit:  7 mins ago
 Rob:  19 mins ago
 t0lkien:  20 mins ago
 mariakenneth:  40 mins ago
 AMIGASYSTEM:  46 mins ago
 Matt3k:  1 hr 22 mins ago
 Frank:  1 hr 27 mins ago
 Gunnar:  2 hrs 18 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  [Poll] LimeBook PPC - FOR AmigaOS / MorphOS / AROS Developer - Evaluation
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 Next Page )
Poll : LimeBook PPC - Only For - Developer Evaluation - Pre Orders
I will place an pre-order 1-3 Months
I will place an pre-order 3-6 Months
I will place an pre-order 6-12 Months
When its Amiga enabled or compatible
No
Pancakes
2 more weeks

PosterThread
wegster 
Re: [Poll] LimeBook PPC - FOR AmigaOS / MorphOS / AROS Developer - Evaluation
Posted on 5-Apr-2009 14:20:20
#61 ]
Elite Member

@meet.mrnrg

SIgh, here we go again.

Quote:

1) Prove this with an official press release, even for the WRONG SPECS!
2) Prove that your specs even match my specs. - I suspect grudge match or wearing the wrong glasses.
3) Prove that there is no discussions
4) Prove that it's RRP x 200,000 - that's how many times you need to prove it
5) What are the over-head costs of doing international trade and business - for any business?
6) What are my companies overheads?
7) Do you have any plans for the Amiga community? or just x86 Mac + MaOSX?
8) Prove that we have no plan, to aid and assist the Amiga community?

----Please don't participate in this thread if you can't answer all of these questions TRUTHFULLY.----

I'm totally unsure why you think it's not YOUR job to do YOUR homework, while YOU are the only one to profit here. However:
CherryPal and Lime are indeed related, the CherryPal Freescale was licensed, and from the designer, no longer at THTF:
http://www.aboutjack.com/limepc.shtml

Do the rest of your own googling, already.

Official press release? Settle for a joint one from FreeScale and Lime, perhaps?
Quote:

The processor's rich set of peripheral interfaces is engineered to reduce overall system cost. In addition to the traditional peripheral interfaces, the secure digital input output (SDIO) and serial interfaces provide the opportunity to leverage a host of low-cost wireless chipsets. Based on its high level of integration and exceptional price/performance, the mobileGT platform is designed to help drive down the cost of full-featured, Web 2.0-enabled personal computing to the $300 threshold and below.

Sorry, only spent TWO MINUTES, surely you with your 'amazing business skills' can find more, unless you already indeed know about the pricing, and are simply pocketing the difference, or trying to? From: http://media.freescale.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=196520&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=1091691

3. I don't need to prove there aren't any discussions, but if you'd like to actually *sell* some of these, YOU might want to prove there's any movement, otherwise it remains an overpriced Linux netbook. I've tried to nudge you in the right direction, and to give you information that you apparently are missing. It's not the potential customer's job to point out all the flaws and missing info, it's simply to say - 'this model does not work, try again.' Come back when you have something running on it, instead of just re-selling an unknown availability netbook.

4. I don't need to prove anything 200,000 times. You might eventually want to take some business and marketing classes, preferably NOT from the 'Dummies' series of books. Trying to be a business? Fine, Develop a product and package, that has appeal, including pricing and 'value add.' So far, you've failed.

5. Overhead? Depends on the goods, shipping and customs, in addition to quantities being dealt with. Yes, I've made moderately sized business purchases overseas (10k USD orders), have YOU? Impact was overall a 15% price increase over what the ideal market price was, not double.

6. I'm unsure why you think any potential customer would care about your perceived overhead. Funny thing. I was cutting down a lot of trees in my yard, then had some that were simply too big, leaning the wrong way, too close to my house, so got some estimates. I chose 8 specific trees to use as a 'benchmark' for some estimates. I got 5 estimates, 2 were within reason, 2 others a decent amount high, and one, quite insane. I stopped this guy from talking much further, as he'd quoted a price THREE TIMES the price of any of the others, and told him so. Instead of negotiating the price, he went on to tell me he had a million dollars worth of equipment at his yard, how much do I think he should make a day? I told him the same thing I've been telling you - that is none of my concern if your overhead is too high to be competitive, it simply means you fail at business. Make a product (or offer one) at a price people WANT, with something added they actually want (you know, an OS?!, and not some vague 'buy them and maybe eventually there will be enough that Hyperion will do a port' BS, then let us know. Until then, it remains and overpriced Linux netbook, and only of benefit to YOU. Get OS4 or MOS on it, and that statement may change, I'd buy one *in that event*, even if still overpriced, because there is added value. But not where you've added NOTHING, except for price.

7. None of your concern, but it certainly would not involve me making personal profit on the ignorance or faith of the amiga community.

8. You're doing a wonderful job of showing your OWN 'plans,' or lack of them, lack of anything likely to come to a real conclusion here, except for your own personal profit. If that changes at some future date, great, then I'll take one, running OS4 and MOS, please.

Quote:
Please don't participate in this thread if you can't answer all of these questions TRUTHFULLY.

Great, your turn now? I've yet to hear much 'truth' from you on any of the questions asked. You continue to plead ignorance on the pricing, seem unaware of Cherry, and failed business dealings with these folks. If it's ACTUAL ignorance, well, I'm just speechless, but it wouldn't make me willing to give you any money. If it's not, then who is not being truthful here?

I applaud your enthusiasm, but with these types of 'plans' (recall once before your failed 'sam is so superior to anything else in general computing'...but it wasn't and still isn't?), it seems to rely on ignorance and 'very wishful thinking' more than any actual business plan based on real agreements. Or maybe I'm entirely wrong, but that is how it seems from your OWN postings.

Prove me wrong, give some ACTUAL value for the double price on the netbooks, instead of some vague, unlikely 'plan', and then I'm sure I and others would happily buy one. Until then, you might want to learn and research a bit more.

Profile     Report this post  
Zylesea 
Posted on 5-Apr-2009 14:24:06
#62 ]
Elite Member

@meet.mrnrg

What specs of which maschine I havediscussed are not the same?
I was referring to my 5200B experince and the estimation of the performance of the 5121.
The 5121 is a tad faster (bigger L1 cach, fast I/O), but my Radeon 9250 is more powerful than the PowerVR core of the 5121, plus you don't need to save & flush your cache when doing gfx/sfx operations.
The overall performance should be very similar. It is okay, but not impressive.

And regarding the price: Your offer has a rather big ssd on board, but especially for the purpose of evaluating the device, that is not treally neccessary, but an additional cost asset.
The offer as it seems just like a very costy and underpowered netbook. Sorry to say so, but that's how it looks like.
If someone will come along with acompetetive offer, than I will be the very first to applaude, because some 1-2 yeras ago I was really very, very eager to get my hand on the 5121 and put much hope, some effort and a little money into that project.
But it turned out to be too little too late. The THTF Geensi coopration was fiasko, Cherrypal too. And you better don't ask Freescale about THTF...

Also you canot compare to resell a design of a multi mllion dollar company that THTF is (it is the 3rd largest electronic brand of China!), with the efforts done by some enthusiasts in Italy.
I respect Acube for their work, nevertheles I wouldn't call their proceedings a success and gibven the current price scheme I doubt it will ever become a success.
Acube is not to blame, they don't have the money to push a product into the market, but THTF has the funds. If they were really convinced that their 5121 netbook would be competetive, then they could push it into the market.
And I repeat it again and again for more than 200 US$/EUR a 5121 device is too expensive.
The iMX devices will probably get on sale for 199 US$/EUR this summer and they will be able to replay 720 hd video with a battery lasting more than 5 hrs.
the 5121 looks poor in comparison. Unfortunately, I'd like zo add once more.

wegster 
Posted on 5-Apr-2009 14:28:18
#63 ]
Elite Member

@meet.mrnrg

Quote:
@Gebrochen

Its a big task... 99.9% possibility of failure!

Ahh finally, thanks for at least some partial honesty now.

Now do you understand why the only thing some of us see here is you making profit, while we simply have an overpriced netbook (LimeOS = Linux, period), with zero relevancy to AmigaOS (possibly excepting AROS)?

$500 is quite an amount to pay for a .1% 'chance' in your own words.

Quote:

1) A select few and I, will be testing over the course of the weeks and maybe months the machines.
2) I hope to setup a PayPal donate button, so that we can raise money, to send machines to CORE OS4.0 developer and testers. Some MorphOS members, and some AROS developers.
3) I will most likely donate some machines.

Ahh. This is more along the lines of what I said much earlier, yet you preferred to argue instead of stating this. You might want to precede this with conversations with all of the above people, to see if there's even a possibility (for OS4 and MOS, anyways). This would have a much better chance than you presenting this as a 'business model' trying to sell to random people at a chunky markup on eBay with some vague 'future possibilities.'

If you had instead presented just the 3 bullets above, we might not be having much of an argument in this thread. Good luck with that part, assuming Lime can even deliver, THAT PART at least has some merit and possibility, although of course, only Hyperion and the MOS Team can speak for their interest levels. And I continue to hope you research THTF, and determine if they indeed are or are not capable or producing, as well as supporting warrantee on these systems.

wegster 
Posted on 5-Apr-2009 14:30:05
#64 ]
Elite Member

@fairlanefastback

Quote:
If you want these two systems in the hands of developers why an ebay auction where any ebay user can hit buy it now?

Why are you not contacting developers first to see if they would have any interest and then deal directly with them?

Exactly. Thanks for adding another set of *sane* reasonable questions, perhaps nrg will eventually 'get it' versus what he has posted prior to much later in the thread.

wolfe 
Posted on 5-Apr-2009 14:37:47
#65 ]

Sorry, but this is pointless IMO . . .

wegster 
Posted on 5-Apr-2009 14:49:18
#66 ]
Elite Member

@Aminicle

Quote:
And why should OS4 or MorphOS run on that thing anyway... It's just another toy that is made for some surfing, watching pictures and reading emails and other easy tasks. Linux can do that just fine and I will not pay between 120 ¤ and 150 ¤ for a license to do just that...

While I agree with most of the rest of your post, and have serious doubts about anything nrg does actually resulting in seeing OS4 or MOS on these, I do think there's value, IF OS4 or MOS are ported AND made available for sale, on something like these. It wouldn't replace an A1 by any means, but effectively it (or something similar) could serve to fill TWO niches:
- entry level system (even if that pricing should be worked out/improved..still cheaper than $1200USD SAM system from IMM by far)
- laptop. Everyone wants one. It's not ideal as a laptop, but it IS a laptop/netbook nonetheless.

You're stuck with OS4 and MOS pricing regardless of the system. Were either to ever run on these, I'd certainly be tempted to pick one up. Going on a trip but want to do some os4/MOS coding? Now, for the first time sanely, you'd be able to do that.

meet.mrnrg 
Posted on 5-Apr-2009 14:49:18
#67 ]

@wegster

---Google Product Search--- Not even close to being a uniform specification let alone price!
Quote:
Acer Aspire ONE A150-1447 - Atom 1.6 GHz - 8.9 " - 1 GB Ram - 160 GB HDD $319 to $436 from 111 sellers

etrade.com vs scottrade.com -- totally different things here!

To be fair, you said or had similar comments about Sam440EP! Now because the pricing model was sound a solid, and the price did not falter, we have several models.

1) So if the companies are related, why did the person leave? Was it so that he could make money? Why Why did this person leave as you claim.
2) Marketing books are from TumpU and not Dummies edition, although I read that also.
3) With your bold plans and claims I would need to order so many units, that they would probably never sell and just end up going bankrupt.

@Wegster -
a) You really could look into why there are so many companies going bankrupt?
b) Why are so many business and people marked as bankruptcy candidates?
c) Why have so many IT sector workers been laid off?

For me the answer is simple!
NO MONEY = NO BUSINESS = NO JOBS = POOR
Again, NO NO NO NO NO.....

Last edited by meet.mrnrg on 05-Apr-2009 at 02:52 PM.

GuruMeditation 
Posted on 5-Apr-2009 14:58:20
#68 ]

Could we please stop using the term "tri-core" about this processor? It's NOT a tri-core processor, it has a media and a sound unit. That's NOT three cores in the same sense as EVERY other processor manufacturer uses them.

This tri-core CRAP is pure marketing bull to make you think this is so much more powerful than it is. I get that it has a unit to handle audio or video or whatever, but that DOESN'T make it tri-core.

This is a single core processor.. and it has the help of an audio/video part. The Pentium MMX (multimedia extensions) could be said to be very similar.. and so would the SPARC I/II which had the VIS instruction set..

It is not the critic who counts: not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena." Theodore Roosevelt, speech in Paris, 1910

wegster 
Posted on 5-Apr-2009 14:58:50
#69 ]
Elite Member

@meet.mrnrg

I have zero clue why you're googling Acer Aspire. Perhaps you should find a book on 'googling for relevant hits?' Seriously, that is so non relevant vs CherryPal and Lime, I'm at a loss.

Yes, companies need a number of things to succeed. One is pricing for something PEOPLE WANT. Get OS4 and/or MOS on it, and there's a chance, otherwise, it fails versus the competition as 'just a netbook.'

Here's the NC10, Amazon, $424USD, with 1GB RAM, 1.6GHz Atom, etc
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-NC10-14GB-10-2-Inch-Netbook-Processor/dp/B001I45TA8

MSI Wind, smaller battery (similar to Lime): $309 base:
http://www.amazon.com/MSI-U100-641US-10-Inch-Netbook-Processor/dp/B001P5GKCG/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=pc&qid=1238939718&sr=1-3

You've seen the pricing on Lime already.

I'm well aware of what's going on in the industry and layoffs, economy, etc - thanks.
At which point, it really is back to basics - offer what is WANTED, or fail. Now is not the time to be expecting to 'hire employees' with nothing more than a vague hope.

Offer something useful, that people want (eg OS4 or MOS on a LimePC), at a reasonable price, or forget it - you've got no plan whatsoever worth much of anything (LimePC for $500 just doesn't compete with NC10 and others for bang/buck). It could succeed, but only with OS4 or MOS on it, at that price.

meet.mrnrg 
Posted on 5-Apr-2009 15:07:23
#70 ]

@wegster

No offence, with your bang for the buck comments, made over and over again on just about all the new hardware that comes into the community!

bang/buck == Jobs gone, or jobs for less pay, or jobs gone to other countries.

Your item #2 - Its not the same as the LimePC SPEC, I am offering!
Quote:
Shipping: Currently, item can be shipped only within the U.S.

Quote:
MSI Wind U100-641US 10-Inch Netbook (1.6 GHz Intel Atom Processor, 1 GB RAM, 160 GB Hard Drive, XP Home, 3 Cell Battery) Black

meet.mrnrg 
Posted on 5-Apr-2009 15:15:41
#71 ]

@GuruMeditation

Its almost 3 cores, but just not 3 cores as in multi-layer cores.
Its a Junior Burger vs Cheese Burger marketing competition for sure!

GuruMeditation 
Posted on 5-Apr-2009 15:33:29
#72 ]

@meet.mrnrg

No, it's marketing crap. It's a single core, just like the G4 with altivec is single core. Once you activate the unit, certain things will be faster.. like audio, some matrix calculations or video.. the G4 doesn't have two cores, just like this CPU doesn't have three, it has a single core.

edit: spelling again..

Last edited by GuruMeditation on 05-Apr-2009 at 03:39 PM.
Last edited by GuruMeditation on 05-Apr-2009 at 03:36 PM.

It is not the critic who counts: not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena." Theodore Roosevelt, speech in Paris, 1910

meet.mrnrg 
Posted on 5-Apr-2009 15:49:27
#73 ]

@GuruMeditation

Tri-Core Moc - is currently fixed in stone, I can't do anything about it right now, but perhaps later.

GuruMeditation 
Posted on 5-Apr-2009 15:56:47
#74 ]

@meet.mrnrg

So what you're saying is that even though I explained why it shouldn't be called Tri-Core, as opposed to single core.. you opt for the marketing way and will still be calling it Tri-Core?

AP 
Posted on 5-Apr-2009 16:06:52
#75 ]
Cult Member

@meet.mrnrg

>No offence, with your bang for the buck comments, made over and over again on just about all >the new hardware that comes into the community!

Come on, you act like you have designed the Limebook like ACube did with SAM. You just want to sell Limebooks on Ebay. Everyone can do this.

No offence: As you are not the designer of the Limebook, why should we buy from you when there is no extra-value (like AOS4 for it)? Why not buy from http://www.limepc.com directly (and for a better price)?

kolla 
Posted on 5-Apr-2009 16:20:58
#76 ]
Elite Member

@AP

Because that would make him poor, oviously

meet.mrnrg 
Posted on 5-Apr-2009 16:21:47
#77 ]

@AP
If everyone did that there would be no need for resellers. Then they would foot the bills for sales and marketing plus support. Which is not their currently planned business model.

As you have a link to the http://www.limepc.com much like we have a link to http://www.amcc.com/ no body is hiding anything are they.

---Take A Look---
http://www.limepc.com/faq/limepc.html
http://www.limepc.com/book.shtml
http://www.limepc.com/book_specs.shtml

1) You will see it's a good support site
2) You will see the specs of the LimeBook's I am offering / will be offering are a lot more beefy, as in better!

meet.mrnrg 
Posted on 5-Apr-2009 16:22:11
#78 ]

@kolla

Hehe, that 2.

Zardoz 
Posted on 5-Apr-2009 16:26:47
#79 ]
Team Member

@meet.mrnrg

Quote:
bang/buck == Jobs gone, or jobs for less pay, or jobs gone to other countries.

And no bang/buck == no'one's gonna buy your stuff, jobs gone or jobs for less pay or jobs gone to other countries. The difference between a company that lasts a month and a company that has long term growth in this very specific case is whether they can actually provide a product that is wanted at a price level that gives them a good compromise between profit and consumer affordability. It might not be good if you sell something at$249 and lose $100 per unit sold but go for TOO much profit and no-one will buy it, so you will lose A LOT more than $100 per unit.

And I am sorry, I dunno what your books are telling you but as a consumer I can tell you this: I will not buy a product that is significantly more expensive than its competitors without offering any advantages. Nobody will.

Zardoz 
Posted on 5-Apr-2009 16:28:49
#80 ]
Team Member

@meet.mrnrg

Quote:
If everyone did that there would be no need for resellers. Then they would foot the bills for sales and marketing plus support. Which is not their currently planned business model.

I don't know of many resellers selling a third party product at 200% its manufacturer's RRP. Do you?

Wanna prove me wrong? Buy 100 EEE-PCs, the $250 variety and put them up on ebay for $500. I'll eat my hat if you sell a single one.

Last edited by Zardoz on 05-Apr-2009 at 04:30 PM.
Last edited by Zardoz on 05-Apr-2009 at 04:29 PM.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle