Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
9 crawler(s) on-line.
 40 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Hammer:  21 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  27 mins ago
 Beajar:  1 hr 21 mins ago
 matthey:  2 hrs 38 mins ago
 Matt3k:  2 hrs 55 mins ago
 danwood:  3 hrs 6 mins ago
 zipper:  4 hrs 45 mins ago
 Tuxedo:  5 hrs 18 mins ago
 OlafS25:  6 hrs 16 mins ago
 Gunnar:  6 hrs 29 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  So who are A-Eon?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
PosterThread
vidarh 
Re: So who are A-Eon?
Posted on 30-Jan-2010 10:49:02
#141 ]
Cult Member

@cha05e90

Quote:
Who cares? Further informations are irrelevant. I don't need any more announcents until the ACTUAL LAUNCH of the product. Everything else is - erm - irrelevant. Do you need a countdown to "launch day"? For what? I really don't get it - all those people moaning about a "lack of information"...

I don't quite agree with this. The X1000 announcement got interest *outside* the existing Amiga camp. Not only with ex-Amigans like me, but even people who'd never owned an Amiga before like MacSociety... Hey, at least two new people for the community I'm sure there are more people who got interested but haven't started posting on Amiga related forums (Any other new or returning users on here?)

I can understand the silence - I'm sure they're flat out working on actually getting a product out. But drip feeding us more info, however small, even "meaningless" things like the occasional mysterious picture of the latest version of the new hardware without giving away any real info, could have kept more of that momentum going and maybe drawn a few more new potential customers into the community, and frankly, any extra interest is important for a community as small as this.

It's a trade off, though - I've worked in enough startups and small companies to know how often you need to make painful prioritizations, so I don't blame them. I just hope it changes soon.

Profile     Report this post  
Hyperionmp 
Posted on 30-Jan-2010 13:32:10
#142 ]
Hyperion

@vidarh

There is a massive amount of work going on behind the scenes.

The teaser in early January provided A-EON with some very interesting contacts from outside third parties as well as making the Amiga community aware of the nature of Hyperion's MAP.

It boggles the mind that some people seem to believe that you can do business with any serious company without them first sticking a NDA under your nose.

In the current economic climate launching a new hardware platform for a niche operating system is not exactly a task that allows time to sit around on fora.

vidarh 
Posted on 30-Jan-2010 15:05:59
#143 ]
Cult Member

@Hyperionmp

I get that; one of my previous startup experiences was with a hardware company.

You guys would benefit from the occasional drip of info though, even just the occasional hints like what you gave above (interesting new contacts etc.) helps keep the excitement going. A this stage, even a photo of the card board box you receive a new revision of the hardware in, or the picture of AmigaOS 4.1 booting on a prototype would probably have people analysing and discussing it for days

Don't mind me, I'm just being impatient - I know it's tough. As I said, it's a trade-off and you of course need to decide how best to balance it yourself. And I'm sure everyone is mostly happy that you spend your time getting the product out the door rather than hang around here all day. It's just that we're like children at christmas and want everything right now

Thanks for responding anyway.

ChrisH 
Posted on 30-Jan-2010 15:15:52
#144 ]
Elite Member

@vidarh
The problem with "dripping" info is that you'd really need to be constantly watching to forums for misunderstandings, so that you can correct them. Maybe not such a good usage of resources in a small company that's trying to finish a big project for a public deadline.

IMHO it should be enough that we know roughly what Hyperion are working on, and that it'll be ready "soon".

Also, constant hype can be detrimental, because (a) there won't be any big surprises when the thing actually IS released (so no big fanfare to drive sales), and (b) there might even be disappoinment, or at least "hype fatigue". Also, the Amiga community has IMHO had enough of constant hype about unreleased stuff, for example from Troika.

Last edited by ChrisH on 30-Jan-2010 at 03:17 PM.

number6 
Posted on 30-Jan-2010 15:28:55
#145 ]
Elite Member

@Hyperionmp

Quote:
It boggles the mind that some people seem to believe that you can do business with any serious company without them first sticking a NDA under your nose.

I feel we are dealing with a misunderstanding concerning two different areas of communication.

Some people are talking about getting information that can not be given out. Surely when Trevor mentioned "higher ups", it applies to what you have just stated.

But we had another statement that does not seem to apply to what you have stated.
Trevor: Quote:
This was in full collaboration with Hyperion and there should be a joint announcement of the project from A-Eon and Hyperion within the next few days and we'll get a simple website up at the A-Eon address to replace the puzzle pages in time for that

In my opinion, it is this statement that has confused people. Since you are Hyperion and you are also a founder of A-eon, they don't understand why the joint announcement has not been made. Logically, it's hard to understand who the "higher up" would be in regard to that joint announcement, since we already know the principal people involved.

vidarh 
Posted on 30-Jan-2010 17:27:03
#146 ]
Cult Member

@ChrisH

Quote:
The problem with "dripping" info is that you'd really need to be constantly watching to forums for misunderstandings, so that you can correct them. Maybe not such a good usage of resources in a small company that's trying to finish a big project for a public deadline.

I think that remains an issue regardless whether they give out more details or not - i.e. witness the ongoing speculations here. I don't think the occasional extra "teaser" would make much difference there. They can avoid much of that speculation by staying mostly clear of technical details.

Quote:
Also, constant hype can be detrimental, because (a) there won't be any big surprises when the thing actually IS released (so no big fanfare to drive sales), and (b) there might even be disappoinment, or at least "hype fatigue". Also, the Amiga community has IMHO had enough of constant hype about unreleased stuff, for example from Troika.

Oh, I agree that they should avoid feeding any hype. That's also why I pointed out that they don't actually need to give out much if any actual information to get much of the effect of keeping people interested. For example by drip feeding of status updates (OS 4.1 is booting..) rather than more hints at technical details they can't fully confirm (i.e. no fuelling the CPU debate until they can tell us exactly which model).

Then again, if they don't feel they have time to do that kind of stuff, that's of course their right.

ddni 
Posted on 30-Jan-2010 17:37:28
#147 ]
Cult Member

@number6

Quote:
This was in full collaboration with Hyperion and there should be a joint announcement of the project from A-Eon and Hyperion within the next few days and we'll get a simple website up at the A-Eon address to replace the puzzle pages in time for that

This is exactly the action that I am waiting for.
I am not busting a gut to get another bit of a tease, all I am pushing for is some clarification that work progresses apace and that prior commitments are followed through.

The simple fact remains;
WE are all potential customers.
WE are valuable allies for Hyperion.
WE are the early adopters.
WE will evangelise to the masses about how great the Amiga and it's future is.

steril606 
Posted on 30-Jan-2010 18:36:03
#148 ]

@ddni

Quote:

ddni wrote:

This is exactly the action that I am waiting for.
I am not busting a gut to get another bit of a tease, all I am pushing for is some clarification that work progresses apace and that prior commitments are followed through.

The simple fact remains;
WE are all potential customers.
WE are valuable allies for Hyperion.
WE are the early adopters.
WE will evangelise to the masses about how great the Amiga and it's future is.

So Say We All!!!!!!

On a more serious note.... You are right...

Last edited by steril606 on 30-Jan-2010 at 06:38 PM.

zerohero 
Posted on 30-Jan-2010 18:46:02
#149 ]
Team Member

@TrevorDick

Quote:

by TrevorDick on 9-Jan-2010 0:18:58

Well, it's now been three weeks. I'm now quite sure "the next few days" are long gone. Personally I would be quite embarrassed at this point. Not about the fact that you missed a "deadline", which we all know can happen, but rather of the complete lack of postings. That to me tells more than the lack of statements. Going from a happy poster to a non poster very shortly after this post of yours I am quoting is quite odd, in my opinion. Some say you have been traveling, but that's a poor excuse in this day and age. If the hotels with quite low standard have some kind of internet connection and it wouldn't have been difficult to post a short message.

Secondly, I would be quite worried about this, since this, after all, is the Amiga market. How many times is it now that we users have been fooled by companies that have promised us a lot? What this does to your credibility I can't say, but surely it can't be good? You managed to wake the world, yes, you actually did, with this riddle game, and what did it amount to? Maybe you made a few contacts, but to me, at least, it was a complete waste of energy, and ended up just where we started. With nothing, really.

Last I would like to add that while it may seem I'm quite harsh against you specifically, I'm quite sure there is more behind this, but you were the one that made this statement. If I were to guess, and I am, you have been told to shut up about this. For the life of me I can't understand why it has to be like that, but if you were I'm quite sure who told you to do that. There are only a few businesses in this market, and the PR departments of those involved are quite easy to see through. In the end it comes as no surprise, just that with all the hype, and coverage that followed, I kind of expected A-Eon to act like a professional company. Instead it went very silent, as usual...

EDIT: Some spelling mistakes.

Last edited by zerohero on 30-Jan-2010 at 07:01 PM.

amije 
Posted on 30-Jan-2010 18:55:01
#150 ]

@zerohero

Quote:
Instead it went very silent, as usual...

quite same story as the amiga.org's buyers... they tend to hide...

Pegasos2/G3 AmigaOS4.1.2/Morphos2.7/Debian6.0/OpenSuse11.1
MacMini/G4 1.5 MorphOS 2.7/OSX 10.5.8

Long Live Amiga

tomazkid 
Posted on 30-Jan-2010 18:59:58
#151 ]
Team Member

@Hyperionmp

Quote:
In the current economic climate launching a new hardware platform for a niche operating system is not exactly a task that allows time to sit around on fora.

and what is wrong with the current economic climate exactly?

Seems to me it is just turbulent, some areas are in a boom, others in recession.
Microsoft reported record profits recently for example, car makers report difficulties, but there seems to be a surplus of cars made, which explains it.

Where do you want to place A-Eon?

The_Editor 
Posted on 30-Jan-2010 19:36:45
#152 ]
Elite Member

@tomazkid

Do you honestly believe microsofts bullsheet ?

Their entire business model is based on bullsheet.

Cairo will soon be ready !!

steril606 
Posted on 30-Jan-2010 20:20:06
#153 ]

@The_Editor

Cairo? For what? Displaying stuff?

tomazkid 
Posted on 30-Jan-2010 20:22:17
#154 ]
Team Member

@The_Editor

Quote:
Do you honestly believe microsofts bullsheet ?

Ok,
Change MS to Apple, Nokia, Samsung, they have all presented very good financial results lately.

point being, HyperionMP refers to "current economic climate", I am just curious what he means, since IT sector does well.
A-Eon (and Hyperion Entertainment as well), should count as IT, should it not?

Radfoo 
Posted on 30-Jan-2010 20:31:41
#155 ]

@tomazkid
Maybe to do with the value of GBP, its pretty rubbish compared to 18 months ago when I guess this project started (2 out of the 3 people named from a-eon are from the uk)

tomazkid 
Posted on 30-Jan-2010 20:38:39
#156 ]
Team Member

@Radfoo

And that is a very good thing when you want to export something.
Unless the "X1000" is aimed for GB market only.

Radfoo 
Posted on 30-Jan-2010 21:42:05
#157 ]

@tomazkid
Well, I doubt any of it would be made in the UK, probably China. Just imagine they have had to make more of an investment than they planned to do.

A1200 
Posted on 30-Jan-2010 22:17:37
#158 ]
Elite Member

I sent Trevor a PM a few weeks ago and expected some kind of reply from him. It has gone quiet, very quiet.

Food for thought:

1985 - 1994 - Amiga's "glory" years (9 years - 7 years if you count up to 1992, the release of the AGA machines).

2014 will be 20 years since Commodore went Bankrupt. The achievements of the past 20 years go nowhere close to the cutting edge days gone by. Not a knock at the current holders of the Amiga torch, but an observation of the whole post-Commodore saga.

steril606 
Posted on 30-Jan-2010 22:58:06
#159 ]

@A1200

Well, given that the X1000 materializes, and OS 4.x runs on it, these times at least seem better than anything since Commodores Demise in 1994.

I think/feel the turning point was MiniMig. Since then things in Amigadom seem to go uphill every week. And it's getting more and more, I feel. Barely a week passes without some good news recently (not only for AOS though, also in AROS and MOS, which I cheer as well), and we are attracting more and more new people, mostly people coming back to the Amiga, but anyway ;) .

And since the winning of the court case, I feel we entered a new era for regular Amiga (OS).

Give Hyperion and A-Eon some time.

Good things come to those who wait...

(And to Hyperion: Please invest some pennies into a PR guy next time. Some of the complains over the last 20 posts are valid. At least a website should have been needed...)

CptPingu 
Posted on 6-Feb-2010 13:24:05
#160 ]

@zerohero

And it's still quiet about a week later. Thing is, if the promotion/teaser said it's going to be a few months yet or whatever before there is any formal news we would be impatiently waiting I'm sure. But, when you are told there will be something 'in a few days' and get nothing for months it leads to ill feeling and distrust. Or at best embarassment of first (set of?) failed promises from the new 'owners'.

Like you say, hyperion obviously found time a week ago to look at the fora, and posting any kind of new news posting saying what they can say - pictures of anything , would be taken positively by most.

Natami give regularly little snippets of testings and feedback as they go and creates a much better positive forward looking supportive forum.

Ah well, guess we sit and hope and do our bests not to buy an iPad instead.

Think I'm gonna have www.a-eon.com blocked so I can't check it once a week for any removal of the now embarassing teaser - good fun when done too.

Pingu

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle