Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
10 crawler(s) on-line.
 141 guest(s) on-line.
 2 member(s) on-line.

matthey,  Matt3k

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Matt3k:  38 secs ago
 matthey:  1 min ago
 Torque:  5 mins ago
 zipper:  14 mins ago
 AmigaPapst:  26 mins ago
 Seiya:  36 mins ago
 amigakit:  42 mins ago
 A1200:  1 hr 28 mins ago
 Hammer:  1 hr 31 mins ago
 bendito:  1 hr 41 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Hardware
      /  Amiga X1000 mentioned on Bit-Tech website
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
cha05e90 
Re: Amiga X1000 mentioned on Bit-Tech website
Posted on 18-Oct-2010 11:06:58
#41 ]

@Hypex
Quote:
What is this with people wanting to run old games?

We have to live with them. Most "Amigans" were gamers with their cheap A500s/A1200s running pirated and cracked games - more or less people, who nowadays use consoles and run UAE on their Windows-PC. Those people were the cash cow of Commodore (C64, Amiga: gamers machines, sold in large scale). If this people are memorizing their Amiga history, they can list up which game they played in which order... (and, of course, all of them want DPaint - for whatever reason...). I even knew some of them who didn't ever realized that AmigaOS was multitasking - they only knew selfbooting games...

Please, no misunderstanding: there's nothing wrong in gaming on a A500 or A1200, but the whole AmigaOS4.x (and similar MorphOS2.x) developement idea and direction is NOT for them. UAE and Natami is for them. (But I suppose a Natami will be waaaaay to expensive ...).

Profile     Report this post  
Fransexy 
Posted on 18-Oct-2010 11:10:57
#42 ]
Elite Member

@Hans

Quote:

Hans wrote:
@Tommo1975

Nice article. I do wonder how many of those comments were written by people who aren't already members of this community though.

Hans

the negative ones? I bet 0.5-1%

DAX 
Posted on 18-Oct-2010 11:21:36
#43 ]
Elite Member

@Hypex
RunInUae: I have my expanded A2000 sitting just below my Sam (or better I placed my Sam on top of it ) the machine has the DKB 2MB chip ram expansion, kickstart 3.1 rom, OS3.9BB2 (plus several newer libs I manually updated from Aminet) a GVP G-Force 040 with a 33Mhz CPU and 16MB of Fast + a 4GB Seagate Hawk SCSI-2 HD.

I have a CD-Rom full of ADF images and the EasyADF software from Amigakit (with which I can create real floppies out of my ADFs and run them on the A2000).

Let me tell you, compared with Sam+RunInUae the A2000 is 100% more of an hassle, and many times less compatible!!! It probably has to do with the Kickstart, the DKB custom Agnus and so on, but that's the truth, and I no longer use it for games.

As for that "authentic" feel (very dear to me) I have opened this thread a while ago suggesting what to do to get native looking games with no pixellation, no filter artifacts and no screen tearing (V-Sync problems) it is HERE
Just adda competion pro joystic and you're ready to go.

P.S.
To make my friend Klx300r happy () I will mention that for multiple disk games, another great integration effort called glUae, has a neat feature that will compact all the disks in a single file (you can add the game's cover box image for this file's icon, and it all looks very cool)!
Hey Chris, add this feature!

ChrisH 
Posted on 18-Oct-2010 11:50:08
#44 ]
Elite Member

@DAX Quote:
I will mention that for multiple disk games .. a neat feature that will compact all the disks in a single file (you can add the game's cover box image for this file's icon, and it all looks very cool)!
Hey Chris, add this feature!

To be honest, I don't see there's anything to add: You can change the icon of the first ADF to be the game's cover box image (use "Icon > Information", then drop the new icon on the current icon image). And this has the benefit that it will still appear if you use "Window > Show > Only icons". I think that should do exactly what you wanted, using RunInUAE

DAX 
Posted on 18-Oct-2010 13:51:58
#45 ]
Elite Member

@ChrisH
I was talking about that feature that "compacts" several disks in a single file (like 5 disk games an so on).
I don't know how it works but I saw it on gluae page(?)

opi 
Posted on 18-Oct-2010 14:06:30
#46 ]
Team Member

@DAX

Quote:
Read Hans comment and you will realize that the moobunny residents are very likely to negatively comment any amiga news out there.

Ha ha ha. Great display of APC. People not giving a flying hoot about Amiga? Moobunny did it.

I wish we where half as powerful as your paranoid brain makes us.

Deniil715 
Posted on 18-Oct-2010 14:12:07
#47 ]
Elite Member

@freeaks

Quote:
i disagree with bigd and other saying ppl will expect all their old game to work out of the box on x1000. especialy pc and mac users they know quite well old stuff loose support after a while. they are constanly in need of upgrading .. ask a pc user if he can run dos6.22 or windows 3.11 software on their windows7 machine, or mac users if they can run macos7.5 software on latest snow leopard machines. they can't. why sould the x1000 support backward compatibility that far where other don't?

ocs/ocs/aga are very old gfx chips, compared to pc it's like saying supporting what they had at the same time (16 colors gfx chips) no pc today still support hardware sold 20years ago and since long out of production.

I agree completely. If people want to run old stuff the X1000 is not for them. X1000 is the cutting edge of Amiga today and exists to bring the Amiga into the future, not the past. If people buy an X1000 (or any OS4 machine) for the nostalgia alone, they will be disappointed since it is not a machine packed with old ECS/AGA games.

Why people should get an Amiga *today* should be because they want something different, simpler, snappier, more elegant than slow Windows and difficult Linux.

paolone 
Posted on 18-Oct-2010 14:45:03
#48 ]

@Hypex

Quote:
The Amiga was already re-launched! It was reborn with the AmigaOne machines SEVEN years ago! And officially with AmigaOS4 six years ago. And continued with the Sam and OS4.1. The Pegasos added later. What do these people think the "One" means in AmigaOne anyway? Where are all the "AmigaTwo" questions? These people don't make sense!

Numbers matter.

How many AmigaOnes and SAM boards have been sold, all together, in the last 8 years? 1000? 2000? Nobody knows, and even this lack of information, in the IT world, is not a good sign. Anyway, a platform which sells products in order of a few hundreds per year gets completely ignored by the mainstream.

The mainstream is accustomed to systems that sell in millions of samples. First generation of Atom netbooks sold - in 2 years - about 15 millions of samples (IIRC some data i read months ago). Radeon and GeForce chips generally sell millions of units as well. I was also told a big company like Adobe, long ago, denied an AmigaOS 4.x port of Photoshop because it needed al least a userbase of 100,000 people.

Even the original Amiga computers sold about 7 millions of units. A proper "re-launch" of a platform should AT LEAST gain 100,000 units sold. That would be still a few people, but at least worthwile for big companies to invest on it. So please get real: Amiga NEVER had a re-launch, but just few little companies selling low-profile, low-tirature products at out-of-the-market high prices, to a little crowd of people still asking for them. Nothing that can go outside the hobby market. Nothing that counts, even for newspapers.

DAX 
Posted on 18-Oct-2010 15:30:22
#49 ]
Elite Member

@paolone
And that applies to C=USA stuff too, as they have 0 chance to survive against Asian giants that make x86 stuff at impossible to match prices.

Maybe a proper re launch as you said would be perfect, but Hyperion/Aeon and C=USA should join forces, create something unique and sell it to those 100.000 you mention (without aiming at millions or billions of mainstreamers).

ChrisH 
Posted on 19-Oct-2010 9:02:22
#50 ]
Elite Member

@DAX Quote:
I was talking about that feature that "compacts" several disks in a single file (like 5 disk games an so on).

I don't really see the point in that. Adds an extra step to go wrong (and slow things down!), without any real benefit to the user.

DAX 
Posted on 19-Oct-2010 13:42:54
#51 ]
Elite Member

@ChrisH
thinking about it, most games with more than 4 disks can be HD installed, while for those with a number of disks equal or less than 4, you can create a custom profile that "inserts" them in the four allowed dfx: units.

Never mind

Tomas 
Posted on 19-Oct-2010 13:49:54
#52 ]
Elite Member

@Deniil715

Quote:

Deniil715 wrote:
@freeaks

Quote:
i disagree with bigd and other saying ppl will expect all their old game to work out of the box on x1000. especialy pc and mac users they know quite well old stuff loose support after a while. they are constanly in need of upgrading .. ask a pc user if he can run dos6.22 or windows 3.11 software on their windows7 machine, or mac users if they can run macos7.5 software on latest snow leopard machines. they can't. why sould the x1000 support backward compatibility that far where other don't?

ocs/ocs/aga are very old gfx chips, compared to pc it's like saying supporting what they had at the same time (16 colors gfx chips) no pc today still support hardware sold 20years ago and since long out of production.

I agree completely. If people want to run old stuff the X1000 is not for them. X1000 is the cutting edge of Amiga today and exists to bring the Amiga into the future, not the past. If people buy an X1000 (or any OS4 machine) for the nostalgia alone, they will be disappointed since it is not a machine packed with old ECS/AGA games.

Why people should get an Amiga *today* should be because they want something different, simpler, snappier, more elegant than slow Windows and difficult Linux.

Then you cant expect a growing user base either. The fact is that most ex amigans that are interested seem to want this feature. Most people dont remember the the OS but instead all the good games, all the good classic software and so on.
I dont see why it should be so hard to implement some emulation"with custom chip emulation" into os4.x. Hyperion already now owns amigaos, so they could legally bundle it with a kickstart rom as well.

Hypex 
Posted on 19-Oct-2010 16:35:50
#53 ]
Elite Member

@ChrisH

Quote:
What on earth are you talking about? RunInUAE *asks* the user whether something should be run inside UAE or not!

I'm certain it was RunInUAE. But what I saw patched the OS so that 68K programs ran in UAE. There was no asking! Maybe the settings were changed but I didn't see it.

Quote:
And AB3D needs AGA to work!

Yes that's simple enough. UAE was doing AGA, the loading screen worked.

Quote:
If you want it to automatically load several disks, then the disk number must be near the end of the name, and the first disk must be number 1. This is usually the case!

This is where it became hard. The filenames were all mixed up from a PC with non-standard characters. It was a mess! I spent a few minutes remixing the file names!

ChrisH 
Posted on 19-Oct-2010 20:32:21
#54 ]
Elite Member

@DAX Quote:
thinking about it, most games with ... a number of disks equal or less than 4, you can create a custom profile that "inserts" them in the four allowed dfx: units.

Just to point out that RunInUAE already does this automatically, as long as the naming of the ADF files meets a few basic criteria (see the docs for more info - but I already explained it to Hypex!).

Last edited by ChrisH on 19-Oct-2010 at 08:36 PM.

ChrisH 
Posted on 19-Oct-2010 20:35:20
#55 ]
Elite Member

@Hypex Quote:
@ChrisHI'm certain it was RunInUAE. But what I saw patched the OS so that 68K programs ran in UAE. There was no asking! Maybe the settings were changed but I didn't see it.

It only asks *the first time* you run something. After that it remembers your choice (which can be changed later by dropping the game on RunInUAE's window).

Last edited by ChrisH on 19-Oct-2010 at 08:36 PM.

wawa 
Posted on 19-Oct-2010 20:51:04
#56 ]
Elite Member

@Tomas

if only they were allowed to. because as it seems none of us can tell for sure if they are.

fairlanefastback 
Posted on 19-Oct-2010 20:55:55
#57 ]
Team Member

@opi

Quote:

opi wrote:
@DAX

Quote:
Read Hans comment and you will realize that the moobunny residents are very likely to negatively comment any amiga news out there.

Ha ha ha. Great display of APC. People not giving a flying hoot about Amiga? Moobunny did it.

I wish we where half as powerful as your paranoid brain makes us.

You having fun? We both know plenty of non-Amiga geeks will laugh at this effort in the comments section of other websites. But so will Moo Bunny folks. Its hardly paranoid to know thats going on as well. Why are you going out of your way to be a jerk? You are smart enough to formulate a response that says as much minus the insults. AR approved.

Amiga 1200

g01df1sh 
Posted on 19-Oct-2010 21:11:42
#58 ]

@Fransexy

For those that think sam460 and x1000 will not sell in big numbers. Have this little thought in mind.

Amiga 500 did not sell through advertisement it sold through word of mouth and showing it of to your mates. I remember getting my first amiga 500 from silca inTottenham Court Road I did not see it on TV or any posters. My mate showed me a little booklet called silca plus my cousin had one it was a case of I had to have one. That will happen again soon. Some thing special will be done with both sam and x1000 which have that Amiga sparkle again.

Wii with Amiga emulation
Vampire v4 SA

opi 
Posted on 20-Oct-2010 7:05:31
#59 ]
Team Member

@fairlanefastback

Because "blame Moobunny" is funny. "Absolutely no evidence" funny. Remember when we stabbed that guy just to watch him bleed out? The line of reasoning "Hmm, I see people don't like what I like, but that can't be. I guess people I don't like are behind this." comes from paranoid brain.

Hypex 
Posted on 20-Oct-2010 15:41:58
#60 ]
Elite Member

@cha05e90

Quote:
We have to live with them. Most "Amigans" were gamers with their cheap A500s/A1200s running pirated and cracked games

I have to admit. When I got my A1 with OS4 the first tihng I wanted to do was try all the Amiga games. But not the old hardware banging ones. The modern and 3d ones that required power. Of course I was disappointed when I found out the hard way that they weren't really RTG or OS friendly and patched system files, hacked into the OS or did some other type of hardware banging. These guys wouldn't have survived programming a Macintosh!

Quote:
I even knew some of them who didn't ever realized that AmigaOS was multitasking - they only knew selfbooting games...

I knew both.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle