Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
10 crawler(s) on-line.
 78 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

clint

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 clint:  3 mins ago
 retrofaza:  10 mins ago
 zipper:  26 mins ago
 kolla:  27 mins ago
 Matt3k:  32 mins ago
 amigakit:  35 mins ago
 pixie:  1 hr 8 mins ago
 pavlor:  1 hr 10 mins ago
 acer:  1 hr 31 mins ago
 Gunnar:  2 hrs 11 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Alt Amiga OS
      /  Aros HDAudio driver open sourcing offer £750
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
PosterThread
Crawff 
Re: Aros HDAudio driver open sourcing offer £750
Posted on 28-Oct-2010 22:30:38
#101 ]

I'm not a active member on here but feel i have to comment as i am quite shocked how this thread has developed.

I haven't seen so much unprofessionalism in years.

It's petty, pointless and is not good for the community.

Profile     Report this post  
zerohero 
Posted on 28-Oct-2010 23:02:17
#102 ]
Team Member

@thread

Wow! What a thread this has become... I suggest you all calm down, I don't want to restrict anyone. Bah, who am I kidding, go ahead, I'll restrict the lot of you. Muahahaha...

Arko 
Posted on 28-Oct-2010 23:11:53
#103 ]

@clusteruk

Quote:

had threats from the real Commodore once before over the Checkmate A1500 which I manufactured so plenty of experience of legal threats

Never heard about the Checkmate before ( Checkmate ) , looks good. The old C= was not an angle, the manufacturers of the Paws had similar troubles like you. I was told the RTG capabillities of the AmigaOS where delayed until OS3.x, because C= used the ECS/AGA chip-set as a dongle, as a result of this marketing decision GFX cards had a bad system support and even legal clones like the Draco where impossible until AmigaOS3.x.

cu Arko

I borrowed this comments from here (#27 & #28):
http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=38873&forum=2&start=20&order=0

wawa 
Posted on 28-Oct-2010 23:18:14
#104 ]
Elite Member

@clusteruk
so since it is out now: you re really porting ambient to aros? why not set up a bounty here too, except to allow only registered udsers for it. this would be a bounty i would actually pay into, to get it on os3.x too. with afa and even upcomming aros 68k it would be a minor issue ..

ps. sorry for all this bashing from cusa. these people are really strange..

Last edited by wawa on 28-Oct-2010 at 11:23 PM.

eliyahu 
Posted on 28-Oct-2010 23:38:15
#105 ]

@clusteruk

Quote:
Again, thanks to those who supported the fund raising via this bounty for HDAudio of the still secret project. I look forward to surprising you all unless somebody else announces it under a temporary account.

always a class-act.

the community really appreciates your enthusiasm and investment of time and resources into AROS and the broader set of amiga-like platforms.

we're looking forward to seeing what you've come up with when it's ready.

-- eliyahu

terminills 
Posted on 29-Oct-2010 2:05:40
#106 ]
AROS Core Developer

@clusteruk

~makes temp account~ jk =D

"AROS is prolly illegal ~ Evert Carton" intentionally quoted out of context for dramatic effect

Mr_DBUG 
Posted on 29-Oct-2010 3:52:49
#107 ]

Well Im hoarding classic machines and maybe a MiniMig or a ArcadeRetroGaming device and hoping for NatAmi... Hopefully the dust settles by the time those are broke down .,

And ofcourse I will test out AROS regularily !
Thanks for everyone doing work on it.. I was too late on this bounty but will drop a donation on IcAROS page and to steve from time to time ..

Still hope the Commodore USA people will go sane and talk to the AROS people .. It would really benefit people like me.

And you know, YOU WOULD sell a LOT of PC64 cases if a FPGA emulator like the Arcade Retro Gaming device was put into it .. It cant possibly cost so much to adapt the case to that board and vice versa .. And that way it would be almost a REAL C64 ! Case and all..
Id buy multiple ..

tommywright 
Posted on 29-Oct-2010 5:19:17
#108 ]

I can't believe I was actually considering buying one of these C=USA machines. After reading this thread, that's not going to happen.

freeaks 
Posted on 29-Oct-2010 5:40:21
#109 ]

@tommywright

i can't believe you actualy considered it too ;)

Last edited by freeaks on 29-Oct-2010 at 05:40 AM.

Hammer 
Posted on 29-Oct-2010 7:20:28
#110 ]
Elite Member

@eliyahu

Quote:

eliyahu wrote:
@BigBentheAussie

Quote:
You probably wouldn't even be open sourcing the driver in the first place if we hadn't approached you about it. And then you put the bounty at the first price you offered....well...having anything to do with this bounty just stings too much.

You only get once chance with Barry. And you blew it big time.
Hell, your iMICAs might have even become the next AMIGAs if you hadn't done that.

i have never seen anything so outlandish in my life. stephen is someone who has actually worked for this community, invested his time, money, and sweat into this community, and only requested the funds in this case because he's working on something else for AROS.

nothing to date has been contributed to the amiga community from 'commodore USA' except lies, threats, misrepresentations, theft, and unwarranted, unparalleled arrogance.

just go away. forever. and take barry with you.

-- eliyahu

As for CommodoreUSA, do you expect a hardware OEM contribute to FOSS? What does the license say? Perhaps one should copy MySQL's dual license model.

Last edited by Hammer on 29-Oct-2010 at 07:43 AM.
Last edited by Hammer on 29-Oct-2010 at 07:22 AM.

Manu 
Posted on 29-Oct-2010 7:31:37
#111 ]

@tommywright

Quote:

tommywright wrote:
I can't believe I was actually considering buying one of these C=USA machines. After reading this thread, that's not going to happen.

I tried to be open minded about them to the last straw but I guess I'm forced to change my views too

What a farce. We are lucky to have people we can trust in our AROS community like ClusterUK and Phoenixconsole not to forget to mention all our talented devs.

Last edited by Manu on 29-Oct-2010 at 07:38 AM.

Hammer 
Posted on 29-Oct-2010 7:41:28
#112 ]
Elite Member

@phoenixkonsole

Quote:

@Manu
sure... but as soon the AROS impact comes sooner than expected, i assume that they would take the pill without doing any support.

AROS is not only faster developed than other Amiga OS no it is also on a good track to come on par to Linux + get even more commercial products than Linux has... (at least for the normal consumer)

Depends on the Linux distro. Google Android is based on Linux.

phoenixkonsole 
Posted on 29-Oct-2010 8:34:38
#113 ]

@Hammer
hmm ANDROID is classified as OS not as distribution.
Compare it to OS X, also a os not a distribution.

So my sentence are not overhyped : ) ok a itzy bitzy litlle bit. ; )

BigBentheAussie 
Posted on 29-Oct-2010 8:46:13
#114 ]

@Manu

Quote:
We are lucky to have people we can trust in our AROS community like ClusterUK and Phoenixconsole not to forget to mention all our talented devs.

It's one thing for you to trust ClusterUK and Phoenixconsole as an average consumer and another as a business entity, in which you are made to jump through hoops, just to get essential AROS capabilities on your machines.
One has declared war on us and is threatening all kinds of off-the-wall stuff and the other one is bragging about how he almost fooled us into paying twice as much for HDAudio as he did everyone else, like it's a good thing to attempt to rip us off.
Yep, real friendly and I must be mad not to pop at least 6 digits into the AROS pot.
How much "trust" do you think we should put in them going forward when our whole AROS involvement(which would then have been our focus) would likely depend on one or the other's cooperation?
What we do, we'll do on our schedule and not to any other company's agenda.
You may lament, curse and swear but it doesn't change anything as we're the ones that would essentially have to get in bed with them.
And who we sleep with should really be up to us.

Troels 
Posted on 29-Oct-2010 8:58:46
#115 ]
Elite Member

@digitex
Quoting personal emails here?

djrikki 
Posted on 29-Oct-2010 8:59:17
#116 ]
Elite Member

@BigBentheAussie

"It's one thing for you to trust ClusterUK and Phoenixconsole as an average consumer and another as a business entity, in which you are made to jump through hoops, just to get essential AROS capabilities on your machines.
One has declared war on us and is threatening all kinds of off-the-wall stuff and the other one is bragging about how he almost fooled us into paying twice as much for HDAudio as he did everyone else, like it's a good thing to attempt to rip us off.
Yep, real friendly and I must be mad not to pop at least 6 digits into the AROS pot.
How much "trust" do you think we should put in them going forward when our whole AROS involvement(which would then have been our focus) would likely depend on one or the other's cooperation?
What we do, we'll do on our schedule and not to any other company's agenda.
You may lament, curse and swear but it doesn't change anything as we're the ones that would essentially have to get in bed with them.
And who we sleep with should really be up to us."

I have no clue about the amounts originally request, but as an example we say that ClusterUK was asking for £1000 for the drivers from individuals (who aren't in business, but charitable donations) he is perfectly within his right to ask for more say £2000 from C=AUS who are a business that has officially proclaimed all over the internet to have set aside $30 million in marketing/advertising alone.

I'll tell you what I think has happened here.

Stephen gave you the opportunity to show that you were serious, you and Barry wanted to, really you did contemplate it, but you couldn't because Ben Hermans has been on the phone to you and you had to listen carefully to every word he said ,because you just don't have any real funds or assets to make your business plan happen never mind obtaining capital (or legal aid ) to fund a legal fight with Hyperion.

Come on lets hear an honest answer please Ben.

Last edited by djrikki on 29-Oct-2010 at 09:03 AM.

Troels 
Posted on 29-Oct-2010 9:14:59
#117 ]
Elite Member

@BigBentheAussie
Just take your crap company and leave this community alone, you will NEVER gain any support here.

People wanting to run AROS can easily live without the brandname and will get either an AresOne or Imica. Great reasonably priced machines sold by people who unlike you actually contribute to this community.

MODERATOR NOTE:
This post rendered the user a 7 day posting restriction.

Last edited by zerohero on 29-Oct-2010 at 03:03 PM.

vox 
Posted on 29-Oct-2010 9:33:42
#118 ]
Elite Member

@BigBentheAussie

Fine, no HD Audio driver contribution - longer it will take CUSA computers
to run AROS. That is good policy

Spirantho 
Posted on 29-Oct-2010 9:40:18
#119 ]

As some here will know, I have worked with Stephen "ClusterUK" Jones and am working with Pascal right now; plus I also know many of the details (including the secret projects) as to the bounties, and why amounts may have changed.

After the personal emails which have been quoted in this thread and the thoroughly unprofessional manner in which this argument has been carried out, I will say now I shall continue to deal with them and not any of C=USA people, as Stephen (and I'm sure Pascal too) have both been fully co-operative, open and honest. They have delivered not false promises but actual goods. I would never deal with someone who blows whistles on secret projects if things don't work out, very dishonourable.

It's a shame, I really liked the idea of a C= branded box running an Amiga-like OS (AROS) (no, running UAE does not make it an Amiga), and I was going to buy one to support them, but after this thread I shall no longer be doing anything of the sort.

Count my vote for Stephen and Pascal, they need and deserve the users' support. That's all I have to say on this thread.

Cool_amigaN 
Posted on 29-Oct-2010 9:40:32
#120 ]

@BigBentheAussie

Quote:

BigBentheAussie wrote:
@clusteruk
You only get once chance with Barry. And you blew it big time.
Hell, your iMICAs might have even become the next AMIGAs if you hadn't done that.

* You(r)=CUSA

I am one of the few who expressed willingness to buy one of your products. AROS would be a nice addition too. But it was clear since the beggining that you had no real intention in supporting it financially (other than distributing as an option). The "statement of intention" equally translates "talk is cheap", when phoenixconsole and, especially, ClusterUK has spend real money in developing the OS for years. If you are unable to spent 1.000 euros for a driver, then you are no better than AInc. (not to mention that you make sometimes AInc look like a professional company).

Moreover, I am an OS4.x user. I have tested AROS and it didn't suit my needs. However, both the persons you are referring to, are noteable members who are pushing the platform of their choice for years and other Amiga platforms have gain benefit from AROS advantages. Your hostility towards them is unbelieveable.

As for the above words, I quoted, they are quite funny. We can make a list for Barry facts (much like Chuck Norris) :
- You can only work with Barry... once.
- Barry said: iMica could be become the next Amiga ... but you blew it.
- Barry twitters using pigeons.
- Barry can finish Mario Bros without pressing the jump button.

etc

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle