Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
9 crawler(s) on-line.
 80 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

amigakit

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 amigakit:  2 mins ago
 Rob:  6 mins ago
 K-L:  10 mins ago
 eliyahu:  13 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  14 mins ago
 kolla:  17 mins ago
 pixie:  33 mins ago
 zipper:  1 hr ago
 kiFla:  1 hr 32 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  2 hrs 9 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Software
      /  MUIOWB : Finally here!
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 Next Page )
PosterThread
Xenic 
Re: MUIOWB : Finally here!
Posted on 2-Sep-2011 2:28:18
#61 ]

@Kicko
After nearly a year of tinkering with Update2 and eliminating some programs I had an almost freeze-free system. Since installing Update3, I am back to at least one system freeze per day. I don't think owbmui is the cause (although it could contribute) on my system because the freezes started before installing owbmui and after installing Update3.

Profile     Report this post  
TrevorDick 
Posted on 2-Sep-2011 3:24:11
#62 ]
Elite Member

Work fine on my Micro A1-C as previously reported but does not start up on my Peg II.

Anyone else can confirm whether MUIOWB works on a Peg II/AmigaOS4 U3?

Thanks,

TrevorD

number6 
Posted on 2-Sep-2011 3:27:00
#63 ]
Elite Member

@TrevorDick

Quote:
Anyone else can confirm whether MUIOWB works on a Peg II/AmigaOS4 U3?

apparently so

TrevorDick 
Posted on 2-Sep-2011 3:29:09
#64 ]
Elite Member

@number6

Hmmm! Strange. I will try to install on a plain vanilla AmigaOS4.1 U3 partition rather that my Beta version.

TrevorD

EDIT UPDATE: Works OK on my plain Vanilla AmigaOS4.1 U3 partition.

Last edited by TrevorDick on 02-Sep-2011 at 03:42 AM.

HammerD 
Posted on 2-Sep-2011 3:39:04
#65 ]
Cult Member

@unimon

Thanks Kas1e and Fab! Works great on my A4000 with AmigaOS 4.1 Classic Update 3! :)

Woot!

realize 
Posted on 2-Sep-2011 3:55:40
#66 ]

Congratulations to Fab, Kas1e, and Deniil.

Big step for Amiga os4.. bigger than update 3 imho..

So is the developer of RA owb gonna give the money back? You guys really should send these guys a gift or something in light of all the money that went to that crap OWB version.

:)

tonyw 
Posted on 2-Sep-2011 6:06:12
#67 ]
Elite Member

@realize

He didn't take any money.

Hyperion Support Forum: http://forum.hyperion-entertainment.biz/index.php

K-L 
Posted on 2-Sep-2011 6:29:20
#68 ]

@Thread

Works like a charm on my AmigaOne G4. So far, I haven't encountered any problem but I haven't used it heavily yet.

@Realize

I gave money to Jeorg for his work on RA-OWB and I would never have had the idea to ask him to send back money. What a crazy way to troll...

Joerg's work motivated Fab to create OWB for MorphOS. Joerg's work allowed many Amigans to surf the web with AmigaOS 4.1 for a few years (and once well configured with OWBBookMarks and ClipDown, it was a charm to use). Jeorg has maintained RA-OWB until version 3.32.

So, who are you to tell him to give back money that was given to him ? Did you even give him one Euro for his work ?

Trixie 
Posted on 2-Sep-2011 6:55:02
#69 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@realize

Quote:
So is the developer of RA owb gonna give the money back? You guys really should send these guys a gift or something in light of all the money that went to that crap OWB version.

For me, Joerg's OWB version was the decisive factor in getting a Sam after years of waiting. It was, and still is, a working browser - something an Amigan wouldn't imagine some four years ago. Yes, compared to Fab's MUI version it's basic, and we are all glad we can now move on. But let's not forget Joerg gave us something to play with for three years or so.

As far as money is concerned, Joerg never took anything but voluntary donations. I donated some 50 EUR in total, and I consider it money well spent. I'll gladly donate to support Fab as well.

Last edited by Trixie on 02-Sep-2011 at 06:55 AM.

AmigaOne X5000/020 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
SAM440ep-flex @ 667MHz / 1GB RAM / Radeon 9250 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition

Xenic 
Posted on 2-Sep-2011 7:06:49
#70 ]

@realize
So far I haven't been able to complete a post to this forum with muiowb so I'm writing this post with the program you are calling "crap". Am I going to insult the people who have worked so hard on muiowb? No, I'm going to get up tommorrow and try to get a crash log and debug buffer dump so I can submit it with the hope it will help improve muiowb. I suppose everyone is entitled to their opinion so I'll give you mine: You're crap.

MickJT 
Posted on 2-Sep-2011 7:57:57
#71 ]
Cult Member

One thing I miss in MUI-OWB is the feature I asked for and was put in RA-OWB, which is the ability to press the middle mouse button and the pointer would change to a scroller icon, and then you simply move the mouse up and down to scroll. To stop the scroll-mode, just press the middle mouse button again.

In RA-OWB you have to disable the middle-click context menus for this to work. It's standard in all the PC browsers too (well, the ones i've used).

I'm not sure if this is missing in the MorphOS OWB, or just the OS4 version. So I don't know who to complain to

Edit: Decided i'd try downloading something for the first time in MUI-OWB. First program fine. 2nd one, crash, but recoverable by ignoring DSIs. I do have a crashlog saved just incase it's required later on.

Last edited by MickJT on 02-Sep-2011 at 08:02 AM.

hotrod 
Posted on 2-Sep-2011 8:14:56
#72 ]
Elite Member

@MickJT

Other things that I miss is to be able to go back and forward using the extra mousebuttons which I have. Also HOME and END keys does nothing.

One things that I've gotten used to from PC-browsers is that backspace goes back one page instead of jumping up or whatever. That I would like to see too. You got page up and page down for that.

Last edited by hotrod on 02-Sep-2011 at 08:16 AM.

realize 
Posted on 2-Sep-2011 9:02:53
#73 ]

@K-L

Quote:
I gave money to Jeorg for his work on RA-OWB and I would never have had the idea to ask him to send back money. What a crazy way to troll...

It was a joke guys, relax. Dont you see the smilie?

Fab 
Posted on 2-Sep-2011 9:04:05
#74 ]

@MickJT

I've added middle mouse button scrolling in later versions, actually (though it has to be kept pressed, but it can easily be changed).

As for your crash, address that to kas1e. This is again something specific to the OS4 port, unfortunately. :)

@hotrod

Home and End should do what they're supposed to, but maybe the rawkeycodes are different between OS4 and MorphOS, which would explain why it doesn't work, if kas1e didn't adapt these.

As for backspace, it's not exactly that standard. Some people prefer it to act as page up.
Anyway, if you want to go backward/forward, there's alt + left/right (and this one exists in several browsers, including firefox).

Regarding additional mouse buttons, that would be an idea, yes. I don't have a mouse with that to test, so i never bothered, but i'll consider it.

@Voodoo

On MorphOS, when i set keyboard to Croatia, i can type all these specific characters like
đęŽôęśź (typing them right now).
I guess there might be a bit more work needed in keymap support to make it work on OS4. Though, it may also just be a font issue, and maybe some other font interferes for you. Maybe you should just configure conf/font/fonts.conf with a brand new directory and just put the webcore fonts there. Then see again how it behaves.

Last edited by Fab on 02-Sep-2011 at 09:17 AM.
Last edited by Fab on 02-Sep-2011 at 09:10 AM.
Last edited by Fab on 02-Sep-2011 at 09:09 AM.
Last edited by Fab on 02-Sep-2011 at 09:04 AM.

vulture 
Posted on 2-Sep-2011 9:05:48
#75 ]

wooohoooo

thx guys!

:)

Futaura 
Posted on 2-Sep-2011 9:16:55
#76 ]

@Xenic

Quote:
After nearly a year of tinkering with Update2 and eliminating some programs I had an almost freeze-free system. Since installing Update3, I am back to at least one system freeze per day. I don't think owbmui is the cause (although it could contribute) on my system because the freezes started before installing owbmui and after installing Update3.

How much ram do you have, and is it possible that you are running out of physical ram? Obviously, owbmui uses a lot of ram, so that may perhaps answer the second question. Unfortunately, the new kernel in Update3 can cause system freezes when all physical ram is exhausted and the pager is brought in .

Fab 
Posted on 2-Sep-2011 9:18:56
#77 ]

@Futaura

WebKit indeed just crashes (on purpose) when it's out of RAM, though i added a few checks in some places to avoid this silliness.

But when it crashes, i show a requester telling why OWB will crash (and i also free the memory pool, to make the thing a bit less painful, but it still sucks horribly, of course).
On the other hand, i have no idea how well the pager behaves when there's no more RAM.

Last edited by Fab on 02-Sep-2011 at 09:20 AM.

Deniil715 
Posted on 2-Sep-2011 10:20:27
#78 ]
Elite Member

@Fab

Ok, so the yr.no problem will persist until we (you?) merge our changes and we re-port Odyssey then. Guess I'll have to keep on using RA-OWB for that site then...
@Tomppeli: I know it works in RA-OWB, that's why I thought it was strange I couldn't get it to work in MUI-OWB

Quote:
I've added middle mouse button scrolling in later versions, actually (though it has to be kept pressed, but it can easily be changed).

Like in IBrowse? I would LOVE that. I miss it in all other browsers. The click once and have it automatically scroll sucks. I want it the IBrowse way. Then you got 2D-scrolling as well which is excellent for wide pages and large pictures.

When out of RAM the pager (at least in update 2) behaved pretty well. I often got quite deep into the swap when surfing many places and had our crappy mplayer hang on exit eating up all memory and stuff. Eventually it locked up though, as if it simply didn't "want" to swap anymore and just stopped doing it. I hope that is fixed.

Last edited by Deniil715 on 02-Sep-2011 at 10:29 AM.
Last edited by Deniil715 on 02-Sep-2011 at 10:22 AM.

Futaura 
Posted on 2-Sep-2011 10:22:35
#79 ]

@Fab

Of course, with the pager enabled, the user will most likely never see such messages since Exec memory allocation functions that fail can themselves freeze the system rather than return NULL. With only 256Mb ram, for example, this can be a major issue as I discovered myself. Nothing specifically to do with OWB I should add, as generally any application can trigger such freezes, including IBrowse . Kernel 53.12 (IIRC, as supplied with Update2) was the last version not to have this bug. Unfortunately, reports of this issue have largely fallen on deaf ears - I did just about everything I could, except for finding and fixing the bug myself (without diffs between 53.12 and 53.13, this proved too difficult for me).

BTW, I like the look and feel of MUIOWB - immitation is the best form of flattery springs to mind . A complete contrast to the RA version. However, one thing I really miss is that the back button on my mouse does nothing in MUIOWB - it has become a habit for me to use this instead of the back button in the GUI, because of IBrowse.

Deniil715 
Posted on 2-Sep-2011 10:25:44
#80 ]
Elite Member

@Futaura

Quote:
However, one thing I really miss is that the back button on my mouse does nothing in MUIOWB

Maybe you can set it up with F-key or AllKeys and have it send Back as arexx to MUI-OWB?
I use my back and forward mouse buttons for other things though.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle