Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
23 crawler(s) on-line.
 70 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

pixie

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 pixie:  3 mins ago
 billt:  14 mins ago
 OlafS25:  14 mins ago
 Deaths_Head:  16 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  22 mins ago
 MichaelMerkel:  40 mins ago
 amigakit:  46 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  46 mins ago
 matthey:  1 hr 9 mins ago
 t0lkien:  1 hr 13 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  A "Have It Out" thread?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
PosterThread
cha05e90 
Re: A "Have It Out" thread?
Posted on 17-Oct-2011 9:59:15
#161 ]

@itix
Quote:
I only see Workbench 3+ with new theme.

Which "Workbench 3"? 3.1, 3.5 or 3.9? Running AmigaOS4.1 and MorphOS2.7 on the very same machine (see sig.) I'm only partly able to follow your point(s) of view.

Everybody has it's expectations - I was and am still sometimes distracted from Ambient, 'cos I sometimes think I have to step back to old uncomfortable AmigaOS3.1 times. Some evolutions of Workbench 3.5 - 3.9 are still not part of Ambient and I am missing it! (i.e. in my personal opinion the Icon Information requester is really c**p, I personally assume DefIcons [incl. Prefs] more convinient than the MIME based system of MorphOS and so on... much "matter of taste" stuff...).

...Nevertheless I use my MorphOS setup with joy! Of course, why not? Ah, I forgot to mention that i'm a BHF...

Profile     Report this post  
wawa 
Posted on 17-Oct-2011 10:21:33
#162 ]
Elite Member

@Kicko
Quote:

Its like with every other OS'es. New updates gives new stuff + bugfixes, enhancements etc. And you probably know most stuff are reworked for NG hardware. Like zerohero said new reaction, usb2 (finally;), updated mui 3.9, resizeable icons, drivers for different soundcards and other stuff. Have to use my time to watch a movie now :)

1. reaction: im not sure what the new features are, for certain it makes the few new programs difficult to backport as it is in case of chris_y's netsurf. but nothing lese comes to my mind.
2. usb(2): you must remember best, we had it on classics long before it was integrated into os4 just recently (apparently in a flaky way).
3. updated mui3.9, thanks to kas1e's users initiative and help of fab. yes id like to have it on 68k too, hope zune fills the gap, perhaps i dont see so much difference since was using zune on 68k now for long.
4.resizeable icons: is that a major feature? for me, i dont particularly care.
5.drivers for soundcards: seems mediator supports more pci extentions on 68k then on os4, is there really more choice on os4, especially what concerns sound??

Quote:

If you would be here i could show you my workbench and how it looks and feels compared to my old os3.9 system i had on my a4000. The good thing most hacks and patches i used i dont need on os4 as it has all of that funktions builtin. Its not like the updates took away funktions or made the system slower etc.

sure it is better that the 3rd party extentions are built in the os. this is an advantage if the system is well maintained. but if its not its better to go open and let the motivated community work on that. look, im not trying to say os4 is crap, it has its advantages, but in general view the advantages of all these alternatives may close to equal the handicaps.

OlafS25 
Posted on 17-Oct-2011 10:35:05
#163 ]
Elite Member

@wawa

+1

i am just updating and adding new features to amikit and it is not only fun but you can also do all you want and I publish all links (and there are tons of software available). It will also be the main distribution for Natami, so you have new and fast hardware. On the other hand users will use 3.1, 3.5 or 3.9 or Aros 68k. The same is for the "NG"-Systems. With the bankruptcy of Commodore and no big company stepping in the market has split and we all should simply accept that and not always insist on "true successor", "only amiga" and such phrases because it only creates trouble and will not attract new users. Instead of bashing each other we should think about how we get more features and software to all platforms. The arguments last for many years and will lead to nothing.

wawa 
Posted on 17-Oct-2011 10:44:11
#164 ]
Elite Member

@OlafS25

check on current aros68k nightly. you can decompress the iso to a boot enabled partition, attach the hd to an autoconfig controller and watch it boot in seconds. aros will be kicked from hd as well. also desktop (wanderer, icon rendering) has become much faster, have not had a chance to test it much, but it looks quite ready for amiwest or whatever.

Last edited by wawa on 17-Oct-2011 at 10:44 AM.

OlafS25 
Posted on 17-Oct-2011 10:54:02
#165 ]
Elite Member

@wawa

I have installed Aros 68k nightly with wanderer already (7.10.) and looked at it. It is progressing and I want to support it too in the future (Amikit, AmigaSYS and Aros 68k). But I had to start somewhere and Amikit is official right now.

I am trying to get permissions to distribute the 68k libs, datatypes etc. so i plan to make a Aros 68k distribution in the future with preinstalled software (f.e. Amos, Amiblitz...). But that is another project (I have only limited time)

wawa 
Posted on 17-Oct-2011 12:14:57
#166 ]
Elite Member

@OlafS25

of course there is no comparison yet with well updated os3.9 for now. i only wonder if you came across some good third party extensions declared as open they might do a good contribvutions to aros (as a whole) closing the gap even faster.

OlafS25 
Posted on 17-Oct-2011 12:41:54
#167 ]
Elite Member

@wawa

i already have permissions for a lot of libraries, datatypes etc.

When I have time I will test it (with updated libs and datatypes). It could at least help. Visual Components often do not work, f.e. Amistart or screentab. I think a Utility called FontPrefs ( to make Prefs for used Fonts ) did work. But I must test that again. I have not tested Non-Visual-Commodities, so i do not know.

Last edited by OlafS25 on 17-Oct-2011 at 12:44 PM.
Last edited by OlafS25 on 17-Oct-2011 at 12:43 PM.

Kicko 
Posted on 17-Oct-2011 16:55:18
#168 ]
Elite Member

@wawa

Whatever i write about os4 components you will have something that it isnt a big thing etc. I just wrote some examples as i dont want to use my time playing detective on what have changed since os3.9. That was just some examples i had in mind reading this thread.

Composition engine is another one i come to mind right now watching my workbench and it looks really nice. The downthing with this is i cant use amistart (native version) anymore on workbench as it has problem with transparency. Works good if i disable composition but then i rather use composition and amidock, some likes it... i like it less but learned to live with it and looks good on my wb, but sure amistart has much more to offer. As the author got in car accident (if i remember right) i cant write to him, he would for sure fixed the problem. Havent heard from him for some years now so i think he is not in good condition. I hope he get well.

Tunenet is another 3rd party program that i like, too bad its not updated for a longer time now. Wookiechat and sabremsn is nice and has alot of changes i suggested. notification in os4 is nice too.

I know there is usb2 on os3.x thanks to Poseidon author. I had the usb2 card from Elbox on my a4000. I just described it took long time but im happy we finally have it. Too long time :)

Just because i use os4 i dont say everything is perfect. I do have problems sometime but i mostly found the problem. My random freezes for example dissapeared with me changeing to another usb2 card. I had this problem even before we got usb2 drivers. Probably something hardware wise/IRQ whatever.

Just see os4 depot, its full of stuff.. some usefull other less. For example there is alot of ported games etc. I mostly just try them out once. But there is full of stuff for coders, native apps etc. If i stayed with my a4000 i couldnt run all of that (my 3 ppc cards got broken) and i wouldnt have the power to watch the movies i watch now, playing mp3s at same time doing other stuff etc. Sure you can do it on emulators with great speed. It does on my laptop. Thats the way i choosed and i like it. Its for me to get on with new versions of the OS and other 3rd party PPC apps. I mean i cant use owb on my old a4000 and netsurf dont have javascript yet. hd-rec effects like reverb needs some more cpu (under winuae you get the speed you need ofcourse).

All this i write about you can live without. Im not trying to get you over to os4, ofcourse i would be happy. But for me i choosed this path and it gave me pleasure. I felt stuck with my older system. Thats something personal for me. I bought my laptop with windows 7 as i sometimes feel stuck with os4 too. Like pages that use flash etc (not youtube as i use getvideo with clipdown or owb).

As i previously said there is a minimal releasetext with every update that says whats new in the update, like new stuff, enhanced, bugfixed stuff etc. If you had A1 and OS4 yourself i think you would like it. If i choosed mos i know i would like it. And most of us had os3.x and lower.

So whatever i write or whatever you say wouldnt change the fact why i use my system and that for ME this is an updated system and hardware. I do run winuae to be able to use hd-rec when im outside sweden and ofcourse to show amigaos to folks at parties (i play on psy/trance parties).

So i dont understand why we always have to prove whats good and why its a continued system for os3.9. I dont try to get mos/aros/68k users always to prove whats good on their system. I know they have good stuff even if i dont use it. And if i used it i would probably like it even more then just watching videos/picture/reviews. I update AROS too sometimes just too see how far it comes, looks etc. But in the end i dont have much time to play around with systems other then the one i choosed to use.

I dont get some people always complaining even if they arent interested in getting the system. Ofcourse you will hear about bugs and other stuff dont working in several threads, some are user error and other OS/app errors but some people will think its always OS errors and go blaiming. Now i dont talk personaly about you but the people that does this. Just watch threads and you will see same persons attacking all the time. And when they are in other OS threads they congratulate. Its the other way too. You will sure find os4 users nagging. And many times its a defense mode also... like for example if someone talk crap about os3.x you would probably get defensive.

If people dont like a system better not post in that threads.

Its enough with ios vs android on facebook. why do we amigans have to crap each other ?

Seems im in the .... write a bible... mode.... again :)

Last edited by Kicko on 17-Oct-2011 at 05:47 PM.
Last edited by Kicko on 17-Oct-2011 at 05:43 PM.
Last edited by Kicko on 17-Oct-2011 at 05:33 PM.

wawa 
Posted on 17-Oct-2011 18:00:08
#169 ]
Elite Member

@Kicko

Quote:

If people dont like a system better not post in that threads.

i could have actually resist if this thread wasnt officially declared as this sort of thread trolls should post into.
anyway all i wanted is to get some facts straight, since i know you only as a nice social person around here, and as you, i certainly dont want to evangelise you to resign on os4 and downgrade to aros, mos or 68k.

btw, i wonder how have you managet to get three ppc accels fried. i have an csppc in almost daily use since few years, admittedly ppc side isnt much strassed, and have never had a problem, thank god. perhaps because it is only 150mhz.

Kicko 
Posted on 17-Oct-2011 18:50:17
#170 ]
Elite Member

@wawa

I know this thread is free for trolls :) i was marely writing about other threads. I write too much.

One of the ppc's i bought half working. The ppc didnt work but the 060 part did work. I did however sell it and the buyer sent it to someone and got it fixed.

The other 2, i dont remember much but it was probably same, possible some pins werent stable. One i tried to fix my self and ####ed up the board :) The other one i cant remember what was the problem. I sent both to .... cant remember what the firm was called... they had them for years and i got tired of it. Had to call consument Europe just to get them to help me. I got the question if i wanted them fixed that they lacked some parts and i said yes. Then a year went on and i got tired again and consument europe helped me get them back unfixed.

Man my memory is bad. I know i sent the 2 boards somewhere after... was it Hyperion that had some contact or..... however i got them back and i sold the one working. The other one that i damaged myself i sold too as the 060 part was working. Some guy that needed the 060 chip.

So i got myself a 060 card with both 80 and 60mhz oscialltors. 80 was nice but had problems showing either scsi or was it full memory ? dont remember so i went down to 60mhz.

I had a4000PowerTower and alot of 3rd party stuff like powerflyer, prelude soundcard, a network card (dont remember the name but author fixed the driver to not have problems with soundcard connected). My friend always joked i had to use a hammer to get the computer to boot :). Probably some bad connections somewhere. A600 was the most minimal amiga i had, a1200 most used and A4000 was the most configurable one i had and was my last love :) before A1. When i got A1 i used linux on it and amigaos on the a4000. had to wait for os4 to be done. and you know the rest of the story.

Last edited by Kicko on 17-Oct-2011 at 06:53 PM.

itix 
Posted on 17-Oct-2011 19:59:34
#171 ]
Elite Member

@cha05e90

Workbench 3.1 was the latest I ever had.

Mimetypes vs DefIcons: I dont think underlying file recognition engine matters much. It is just how information is presented to a user and how easily it can be reconfigured. I had DefIcons in my Amiga 1200 and I was happy with it. I never edited my DefIcons prefs and I never edit mimetypes in MorphOS so I can not comment much other than both appears to detect file types.

I can not remember the original Icon information dialog anymore and I have to admit I am rarely using it in MorphOS. But what is crap there? I have only used Workbench 3.1 with and without SwazInfo so my experience with that is quite limited.

Quote:

Ah, I forgot to mention that i'm a BHF...

wawa 
Posted on 17-Oct-2011 20:08:54
#172 ]
Elite Member

@Kicko

yep, if the cards were faulty to begin with then it figures. i can figure out the repair company you are talking of too. pitty some didnt get their boards back.
i liked my 600 too, wonder if my old gf dumped it in the end.

Troels 
Posted on 17-Oct-2011 20:20:00
#173 ]
Elite Member

@cheesegrate
"Well i saw observed amigaworld start, go through its fascist phase.."
Rather insulting to people who were here when Aw.net started. Personally I don't know any fascists and I don't agree any such phase ever existed here. It simply was an AmigaOS centric site although that was hard to get for some people.

"mikeyc had a hissy fit and take most of the loons away to the amigans.net"
Again and again you are being personal talking bout a guy who already said he wouldn't want to get involved in this discussion. And talking SH##T about current members here and on Amigans.net

Please ADMINS could we get a permanent ban for this guy.

Last edited by Troels on 17-Oct-2011 at 08:21 PM.

tomazkid 
Posted on 17-Oct-2011 22:32:41
#174 ]
Team Member

To make a forum that can please everyone's taste, is as impossible as trying to win a Zugzwang position.

Zugzwang

The one who moves first, is lost.

@ fishy_fis

Quote:
*snip*
Anyway, amatuer analysis aside, how about a thread where people are allowed to just let it out and argue until theyre blue in the face? (within site conditions of course).
*snip*

This has been tested, some years ago, even though it was a place to let out steam, it did not give any major effect on the forum as whole.

tygre 
Posted on 18-Oct-2011 3:04:27
#175 ]

@tomazkid and all

Quote:
To make a forum that can please everyone's taste, is as impossible as trying to win a Zugzwang position.

Indeed!

http://www.rodneyohebsion.com/mulla-nasrudin.htm#129

but what an interesting thread! I have learnt a lot about AmigaOS, AROS, MorphOS, and the rest

Cheers!

sundown 
Posted on 18-Oct-2011 5:30:10
#176 ]
Elite Member

@tygre

A fitting link indeed.

Kicko 
Posted on 18-Oct-2011 6:32:52
#177 ]
Elite Member

@wawa

I mixed all the stuff :) My first ppc card worked 100% as i bought it together with the first A4000 desktop. I had it for years working 100%. I bought and used ppc software like warpdatatypes, some videoplayers etc. If i remember right the systems were called powerUP and warpOS or something like that. One of the cards i bought in Croatia from a friend (060 part working). That was the one i tried to fixmyself. The last one i really dont have memory of how and when i bought, probably i got it with some system i bought. Damn it was many years ago. If i search old threads maybe i would find more info :)

EDIT: Memory starts to come back slowly :)

Last edited by Kicko on 18-Oct-2011 at 06:35 AM.

Hondo 
Posted on 18-Oct-2011 7:32:14
#178 ]

@tomazkid

Quote:

But that's not what people here are expecting nor wanting. They just want to be able to enjoy the ups and downs of AOS4 without certain individuals putting it down immediately.

You know some of them are putting it down because they really really want it to die and fade away, and they are allowed to be here and post in every good AOS news they can find. Very sad really, and the biggest annoyance I've encountered in my 8 years on aw.net.

I truely understand why the devs don't post here anymore.

Last edited by Hondo on 18-Oct-2011 at 07:34 AM.
Last edited by Hondo on 18-Oct-2011 at 07:33 AM.

Hondo 
Posted on 18-Oct-2011 7:41:55
#179 ]

@Mikey_C

Quote:
I am so staying out of these discussions!

Ahh come on and "have it all out" man

wolfe 
Posted on 19-Oct-2011 19:09:20
#180 ]

I'd have it out but its too valuable, so I will keep it in . . .

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle