Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
28 crawler(s) on-line.
 48 guest(s) on-line.
 2 member(s) on-line.

kolla,  OlafS25

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 OlafS25:  1 min ago
 kolla:  2 mins ago
 Gunnar:  11 mins ago
 gryfon:  24 mins ago
 Rob:  2 hrs 2 mins ago
 matthey:  2 hrs 23 mins ago
 agami:  3 hrs 19 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  5 hrs 11 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  6 hrs 24 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  7 hrs 17 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  General Technology (No Console Threads)
      /  It's only 1 more day
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
PosterThread
TheMaskedMuchacho 
Re: It's only a matter of 3 days
Posted on 10-Nov-2011 15:32:01
#81 ]

@AmigaBlitter

Quote:
Commodore was alread an x86 manufacturer in his later years. Amiga would be evelvod with a Risc architecture

Quite probably at first but unless they would have continued the development of the HP PA-RISC (if they did continue on that path) themselves or would have used enough of them on their own to make continued development possible they would have had little choice by now than to switch to x86 since the last CPU based on the PA-Risc ISA was released in 2005, Even Apple couldn't sustain PowerPC as a competitive Desktop CPU on their own so how could Commodore keep the PA-Risc going. If Commodore had chosen PPC maybe between them, they could have kept it going.

It's Impossible to say anyway since it didn't happen but Commodore probably wouldn't have had enough influence on the way the IT world developed to have changed the way things have gone in any significant way.

Profile     Report this post  
TheMaskedMuchacho 
Posted on 10-Nov-2011 15:34:58
#82 ]

@AmigaBlitter

Quote:
Bwt, why don't ask Commodore for a collaboration?

Not a bad idea, they could pay my rent and feed my dog, I could give them SinclairUK although there is no IP involved that I actually own due to it not being a real company.

Arko 
Posted on 10-Nov-2011 16:12:05
#83 ]

@danwood

Quote:

... you'd be foolish to try and make money or a commercial product based on the Amiga these days (OS4, MOS and AROS are hobbyist platforms, not commercially viable) ...

Ack !
Quote:

Call a spade a spade, they sell bog standard IBM PC compatibles, ...

Apple sells x86 PCs well I don't know how standard they are, but their OS can run on standard x86 PCs today.

Sun sells x86 PCs, IMR there are no Sparc desktops anymore from Sun.

IBM still(?) sells x86 PCs, IMR there are no PPC desktops anymore from IBM.

HP sells x86 PCs, there are no PA-Risc desktops anymore from HP.

Compaq sells x86 PCs, there are no ALPHA desktops anymore from DEC.

And if Commodore Amiga had continued until today, they would sell standard x86, maybe with an Amiga label.

Quote:

they have zero to do with the Amiga platform other than licencing it's name,

But that's normal business:
Hyperion was a game porting company for Linux, they had nothing to do with the code of AmigaOS before,
A-Eon or Varisys had nothing to do with Amiga before,
Eyetech had nothing to do with construction of Amiga hardware before.
ACube has nothing to do with Amiga Hardware before

And finally Commodore, before they bought Amiga had nothing to do with Amiga.

And slapping stickers to other companies products:

- AmigaKit does it with its AmigaOne branded keyboards and mice.
- ACube does it with its AmigaOne branded PCs
- Eyetech did it with its AmigaOne branded PCs

- There was an announcement for an AOS4 netbook, I'm shure it will get another sticker.

Last edited by Arko on 10-Nov-2011 at 04:16 PM.

I borrowed this comments from here (#27 & #28):
http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=38873&forum=2&start=20&order=0

zerohero 
Posted on 10-Nov-2011 16:23:41
#84 ]
Team Member

@Arko

I don't understand what you want to prove with your post #83, could you explain, please?

number6 
Posted on 10-Nov-2011 18:16:58
#85 ]
Elite Member

@thread

I think this is the new vid

Starts off the same as the prior one I think.

AmigaBlitter 
Posted on 10-Nov-2011 18:27:15
#86 ]
Elite Member

@number6

The customized GUI looks like very nice.

I like it!

danwood 
Posted on 10-Nov-2011 18:33:07
#87 ]

@number6

As expected, simply Mint/Ubuntu with custom wallpaper and theme, nothing more.

danwood 
Posted on 10-Nov-2011 18:34:08
#88 ]

@Arko

Quote:
And if Commodore Amiga had continued until today, they would sell standard x86, maybe with an Amiga label.

Of course, but as with Apple. they would have some customization and most importantly ship it with AmigaOS, not Windows/Linux. The OS is the only differentiation really these days, it doesn't run AmigaOS/Amiga apps, it's not an Amiga.

Last edited by danwood on 10-Nov-2011 at 06:34 PM.

Arko 
Posted on 10-Nov-2011 20:04:48
#89 ]

@zerohero

Quote:

zerohero wrote:
@Arko

I don't understand what you want to prove with your post #83,

Yes

Quote:
could you explain, please?

Please remeber the first line of the posting "@danwood" go back in the theread and ask my what pasrt you could not understand.

It seems as if the receiver has understood it.

Last edited by Arko on 10-Nov-2011 at 08:08 PM.

I borrowed this comments from here (#27 & #28):
http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=38873&forum=2&start=20&order=0

Franko 
Posted on 10-Nov-2011 20:42:25
#90 ]
Elite Member

@number6

Quote:

number6 wrote:
@thread

I think this is the new vid

Starts off the same as the prior one I think.

Drat...

Does that mean I've gotta make another one now...

CritAnime 
Posted on 10-Nov-2011 20:47:58
#91 ]
Cult Member

So apart from some fancy animations and a skin its jut standard Ubuntu/mint. Well that was several MB of my mobile data allowance used on nothing.

makes me wonder if someone will be silly enough to think that cusa have made all this.

Admin at Commodore Gaming Wiki

Seblam 
Posted on 10-Nov-2011 21:07:33
#92 ]

I like the theme and gui from the video.

To answer to others, I still think that CUSA Amigas are the closest thing of what would have been a modern Amiga if Commodore had survived. Probably the original Commodore would have gone for custom motherboard and more in-deep modification of the Unix based OS like Apple but anyway it would have end up in x86 hardware, with ATI/NVidia GPU and a modernized OS based on Unix. They would have stop developing the original AmigaOS. The original AmigaOS was revolutionary in its time but the kernel would have not allowed to go SMP, memory protection... So, like Apple with MacOSX or Microsoft (switching with Windows XP from its old kernel inherited from MS-DOS to the more modern Windows NT kernel), Commodore in order to stay in competition would have switched to a new OS. And they wouldn't have write it from scratch because of money so it would have finished with a Unix kernel.
In some way, it's logic to have from time to time to start again from scratch. How 1985 engineers could anticipate 2011 technology and the way to use it. There would have been nothing heretic in switching to a more modern kernel, this is just progress.

It worked well with Apple and users follow without complaining because there was a continuity in history. Problem with Amiga is when Commodore go bankrupt, each users created its own vision of what is an Amiga thus ending up in OS4, MOS, AROS, Natami, CUSA.

I'm a OS4 user but this CUSA thing looks interesting. At some point, I think that playing the new AlienBreed from Team17, the future Cannon Fodder 3 and editing some 3D graphics with Lightwave on a CUSA A500 replica with CommodoreOS could be more Amiga spirit than running a amateurich open source game ported from Linux on a X1000 with OS4.

People always speak Amiga about the OS and hardware but I think the most important thing about Amiga were the softwares

Last edited by Seblam on 10-Nov-2011 at 09:09 PM.

Franko 
Posted on 10-Nov-2011 21:09:19
#93 ]
Elite Member

@Seblam

Quote:

Seblam wrote:
@Franko

Natami would have been maybe the Amiga of 1996/7 but if the original Commodore would have survive until now, you can be sure that it would have end up modernizing the OS by using Unix kernel (whatever it is, Linux, QNX...) and it would have follow as well Apple on x86 for obvious economical reasons. So, in the end 2011 CUSA Amigas will be very close to what would have been today Amigas from original Commodore. That's difficult to heard (I'm not CUSA fan and more a OS4 boy) but this is the reality!

You see that's where I differ from most, I don't care about modern day computers or their OS's. I enjoy the Amiga for what it is and the fact it's nothing like or has little in common with a modern day computer...

If I need something that runs a bloated OS (Linux/ Unix based or whatever) I could simply buy a PC or as in my case an old iMac...

To me one of the things I enjoy most about using my old Amiga hardware is the challenge of making it do what I require a computer to do, which it does nicely...

If Commodore had kept going and went down the same path as every other PC manufacturer, then I would have said goodbye to them and carried on with the original Amiga hardware instead...

I think with the amazing engineers Commodore had that would never have happened though (would have needed some changes in management though), I believe they would have continued to develop custom chipsets and not just have become another PC clone...

The NatAmi may well be sort of 96/97 type technology in what it does but to me that's perfect, it'll be just like being able to buy a brand new Amiga motherboard, 060 based, with quite a few built in bells & whistles instead of paying a fortune on eBay for some old hardware that may not even work...

You see that's what the Amiga means to me and I have no wish for it just to become another modern day PC clone, there's more than enough of those already...

Seblam 
Posted on 10-Nov-2011 21:24:12
#94 ]

@Franko

Of course I understand your point of view, this is probably the most shared vision of the Amiga and that's why the majority stayed on Classic.

My vision is quite different as I would like an Amiga as a modern computer. And even if OS4, MOS, AROS are nice attempts and their creators merit a lot of respect, you can't really use them as modern computer. CUSA will offer this possibility. And for me CUSA is one vision of the Amiga like every other and merit as well respect. They start in amateurish fashion and with some bad behaviour but they are becoming more and more serious and professional.

People are blind with the original AmigaOS, the custom chipset but all these things are things of the past. Modern 3D graphics are so complex that you can't program directly the hardware like in Amiga days, it's just impossible, you need APIs for that.
But again, it's a endless discussion, everybody has its own feeling about what is an Amiga and what should be a modern Amiga

Last edited by Seblam on 10-Nov-2011 at 09:26 PM.

Spirantho 
Posted on 10-Nov-2011 21:41:01
#95 ]

@Seblam

Quote:

And even if OS4, MOS, AROS are nice attempts and their creators merit a lot of respect, you can't really use them as modern computer. CUSA will offer this possibility. And for me CUSA is one vision of the Amiga like every other and merit as well respect. They start in amateurish fashion and with some bad behaviour but they are becoming more and more serious and professional.

Why can't you use them as a modern computer? I manage just fine. My PC is used as a glorified recording device, these days. It's the Amigas and Amiga-likes that are useful.
I don't think C=USA have a vision of the Amiga, unfortunately.... they have a vision of high end machines, that's great, but it's nothing at all to do with the Amiga, it just happens to share its name.

Daytona675x 
Posted on 10-Nov-2011 21:41:44
#96 ]

@Seblam

Regarding to your "vision" my Windows7 PC with WinUAE is an Amiga then? And maybe one of the best, I bet it's way faster and compatible than a CUSA machine

Of course it is NOT an Amiga. And CUSA machines are even less Amiga. Why? Because they are plain standard PCs, nothing else, nothing special. There is no "spirit" inside.

And yes, in contrast PCs with AROS installed ARE Amigas. Why? Because Amiga fans put REAL work into it to form something "native", here we got real Amiga spirit.

CUSA? Come on, it's just a skinned Linux with some preinstalled software. Great.

Just my opinion, of course.

Last edited by Daytona675x on 10-Nov-2011 at 09:54 PM.

Franko 
Posted on 10-Nov-2011 21:42:21
#97 ]
Elite Member

@Seblam

I agree with you that we all have different visions of what we think the Amiga is/ should be but to say some are blind because they enjoy the original AmigaOS and custom chipset is wrong...

I'm not blind to anything, it's quite simply my choice because that is what I enjoy and have fun using when it comes to computers...

Modern 3D graphics are something I don't need or require, if I want realistic gfx I just switch on the telly to see those...

It's like you say, we all have different feelings about what makes an Amiga, mine may be different to most but I'm happy with that and have no illusions that someone is going to come along and "remake" a modern day Amiga...

Seblam 
Posted on 10-Nov-2011 21:58:02
#98 ]

@Daytona

The majority of the still active amiga users are on WinUAE. So yes, that could be at least the most shared Amiga vision

@Franko
No, I don't treat blind people, people that like original AmigaOS or custom chipset and who loved using their classics. Retro, whatever it is, Amiga, Atari is great.
Sorry for the misunderstanding, what I meant is that people who think that a modern Amiga should have kernel inherited from original, custom chipset are just not in phase with today technology.

For me Amiga was about softwares, that's why I said that I would feel more Amiga feelings in playing the new AlienBreed, the future Cannon Fodder 3 or using modern Lightwave or Newtek products on a CUSA A500 replica than playing a amateurish open source game ported from Linux on OS4/X1000. I repeat that but for me that is really the point, SOFTWARES.
And then, a theme on Linux, at least it gives personnality. For the rest, an OS is an OS, a desktop and windows to access SOFTWARES. A nice A500 replica like C64x and a nice themed Linux would be enough for me to make the job of offering some Amiga personality. I said Amiga personality because anyway the real Amiga era is dead.

But of course, just my opinion

Last edited by Seblam on 10-Nov-2011 at 09:59 PM.

TheDaddy 
Posted on 10-Nov-2011 22:11:12
#99 ]
Elite Member

@Seblam

A case doesn't make an Amiga as it doesn't make a C64.

Seblam 
Posted on 10-Nov-2011 22:19:55
#100 ]

@TheDaddy

No but it gives nice personality and this is exactly what CUSA achieved with C64x compared to other PCs (yes, I said PC )
And you should know that as you are working hard on case projects.
For the rest, I don't try to impose what should be an Amiga, I just said which option give me more Amiga feelings, but that's just me.
I loved playing games on my Amiga and again I feel more Amiga playing a nice remake on other platforms. OS4, MOS, AROS are for OS aficionados, the big majority of ex amiga users never saw AmigaOS (maybe sometime AmigaDOS prompt when launching a game...)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle